shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on a MWM setting?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone want to help me sort out which setting to choose? I've had my heart set for a little while now on a Petite Torchiere with small diamonds in the crown. I'm just trying right now to make my final decision, and make sure I'm making the right decision.

I'm setting a 2ct transitional cut stone. The setting options I'm considering right now are-

1. Petite torch w/ diamonds
2. Petite torch w/o diamonds
3. Extreme petite w/ diamonds
3. extreme petite w/o

Reasons I'm considering with or w/o diamonds is I currently have a Locke's setting that has the tiny diamonds in the crown. They are really very small and I don't notice them unless I really look. I wonder if I would be just as happy having that spot open to see the center stone peeking through and also letting more light into the center stone.

Reasons Im considering between Petite Torch and Extreme Petite Torch is I enjoy the longer look of the arms of the basket in Extreme P , but I also like the look of the Petite. So it's just a little different look. I'm not positive that I like the small diamonds in the base of the crown in the Extreme P. Also, I guess the Extreme Petite was designed to fit with straight bands, soooo that might be a good idea?

As for wedding bands to wear with it I currently have a plain plat band, I think when I do get this new e-ring a new w-ring may be in order :) I like the look of a wedder that Wishful had Mark Morrell make to go with her Petite Torch - kind of knife edged and thin. I also have an anniversary band that is 5 sapphires that I like to pair with my e-ring sometimes. The sapphires are bezel set and it stands at least 2mm high off my finger. I think it would probably hit the Petite Torch setting, so I might not be able to pair it together.

I have not had this discussion with Mark yet. I just want to see if I can make up my mind a little bit more first. Wondered if anyone could help or just share an opinion :D Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
links?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
sure :) I'll post pics

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Petite Torch w/ diamonds

_2375.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Petite Torch w/o diamonds

torchiere_8.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Extreme Petite w/ diamonds. And then if can just imagine it w/o diamonds..i haven't seen a photo I don't think.

extreme_20petite_20torchiere_1.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I have always love the petite torch with diamonds!!! It's gorgeous!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sunkist|1355517409|3331458 said:
Petite Torch w/ diamonds

IMO. This one has a nicer head, with the diamonds higher up and I like the way the shank flows to the head better. And I really REALLY REALLY prefer this setting with diamonds in the head. IMO, it's 1000% nicer and if you are going to spend for MWM you might as well get this best. And this setting with diamonds in the head is his best.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Petite Torch w/ diamonds

Oh! This is so gorgeous! Be still my heart!

My vote is definitely for this one.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the petite torchiere w/ diamonds best too (the first pic), and I generally dislike melee of any sort!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I'm also looking forward to his best in symmetry, polish, and having all surfaces polished!

Thanks for your opinion, Gypsy, Yssie and Cygnet!

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
I have the Petite Torch with diamonds in the crown, so that gets my vote! I do find the tiny diamonds to be noticeable (to me, at least. When I first got engaged, I tried to show them to others and no one could see them. I have since had friends try on my ring and they always notice the surprise diamonds immediately. This is one of those details that is for the wearer).

Also, I had Mark make me a slightly thinner version (2 mm) of wishful's wedding band and it sits very nearly flush. There is the tiniest of gaps where the e-ring tapers at the stone.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1355517814|3331463 said:
Petite Torch w/ diamonds

IMO. This one has a nicer head, with the diamonds higher up and I like the way the shank flows to the head better. And I really REALLY REALLY prefer this setting with diamonds in the head. IMO, it's 1000% nicer and if you are going to spend for MWM you might as well get this best. And this setting with diamonds in the head is his best.

This is also how I feel.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi LIttleRiver! I have had the same experience with my current Locke's setting, no one can notice the tiny diamonds even when they look closely! haha! But when I look I see them, and I THINK that the diamonds that Mark uses are going to be a little bit larger than the ones in my Lockes. So I do think I"ll like it.

Do you think it would be nice to see your center diamond peeking through/ let more light into your diamond? Or is it just hands down better to have the accent diamonds?

Have you posted a pic of your wedding ring? I'd love to see it :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunkist, is there something wrong with your Lockes setting? We all loved it so much at the time. Just wondering because you seem to be looking at a very similar replacement.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
sunkist said:
Hi LIttleRiver! I have had the same experience with my current Locke's setting, no one can notice the tiny diamonds even when they look closely! haha! But when I look I see them, and I THINK that the diamonds that Mark uses are going to be a little bit larger than the ones in my Lockes. So I do think I"ll like it.

Do you think it would be nice to see your center diamond peeking through/ let more light into your diamond? Or is it just hands down better to have the accent diamonds?

I personally think the accent diamonds are beautiful! Also, this setting (with or without surprise diamonds) allows for a ton of light to reach the stone. I wouldn't worry about it.

Just snapped a pic for you of my w-band solo. I'm not wearing my e-ring today :o

littleriverwb3.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1355520856|3331508 said:
Sunkist, is there something wrong with your Lockes setting? We all loved it so much at the time. Just wondering because you seem to be looking at a very similar replacement.

DS, there's nothing wrong with my Lockes setting. DH just wanted to get me an upgrade! So now I"m setting a much larger stone, a 2ct instead of a .95ct. So I can't just use my existing setting. I'm probably going to sell my Lockes, but I love the look of it! So I fell in love with the MWM torchiere because it is so similar!

ariadne28

Rough_Rock
Petite torchiere with diamonds! I love this setting so much and it would have been in the running for my engagement ring if it had been in the budget. Whatever you decide, please come back with pics!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
LittleRiver|1355521261|3331513 said:
sunkist said:

I personally think the accent diamonds are beautiful! Also, this setting (with or without surprise diamonds) allows for a ton of light to reach the stone. I wouldn't worry about it.

Just snapped a pic for you of my w-band solo. I'm not wearing my e-ring today :o
LittleRiver, your wedding band is lovely! Maybe I'll ask Mark to quote me one like that! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results