shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a vintage cluster ring

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm interested in finding out more about a vintage cluster ring I have. If anyone has read my other thread, I am going to eventually be in search of an antique engagement ring. For now, though, I would like something to wear and I've had this ring for years and haven't worn it because it only fits my pinky. I think this would be a great excuse to resize it so I can eventually wear it as a RHR.

I bought it on ebay years ago for very little. It's marked 10k gold and JR&S (no shields or other hallmarks). It was listed as spinel, though I doubted it, and I assume the stones are synthetic sapphires.

Can anyone help me date the ring? Or any info on the maker? It looks like that's the hallmark of a Scottish silversmith, but not sure if that's the same maker.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good jeweler in Chicago who can resize this ring up from about a 6.25 to a 7.5, affordably and without messing it up, I'd love your recs! Would be interested in Boston recs too as I"ll be there over the holidays, but I would love to get this done beforehand.

_2339.jpg

clusterring4.jpg

clusterring3.jpg

clusterring2.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry I have no practical or interesting info to offer, just compliments :D It's very pretty! I love the color. Whatever stone or synthetic material it is, the color is quite pleasing and looks great on your hand.

I'm not in the Chicago area so can't recommend any jeweler, except the one that was already recommended in RT - Diamond Zone. Have you gone to check them out? You could go and look at their antique stones, and inquire about resizing at the same time. People have had good experiences with them (including good customer service), and that goes a long way. I'd imagine they have a bench jeweler in the shop who could size your ring.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
That's a gorgeous ring!

If you don't have luck with Diamond Zone I've had rings resized at Fey and Co. on North Ave. They were pretty simple resizes on platinum rings but they did a great job. Resizing plus polishing for two rings was $80 I believe.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the suggestions.

In a ring like this, do they thin out the gold or do they cut the shank and add metal?

Do you think the jewelers could tell me the type of stones?

I think I paid between 40-60 for the ring, years ago, but that seems like a reasonable price to resize.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
what a nice color! :)) remember to post some hand shots once it's back and re-sized!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
alyssak|1355428910|3330486 said:
Do you think the jewelers could tell me the type of stones?

It depends on whether the jeweler knows anything about colored stones. Most often they do not. I once had a ring resized with a huge pink stone in it, it was an old Soviet ring from my grandmother. The guy in the vintage jewelery shop where I had it resized told me it was a tourmaline (and I think his bench jeweler agreed with him). I know for a fact it is one of those Soviet synthetic rubies. So -- not a lot of trust there. Even places that know a great deal about the niche market of antique diamonds may have no idea about colored stones. On the other hand, you may get lucky and find someone knowledgeable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results