shape
carat
color
clarity

What size of necklace suits me?

concun

Shiny_Rock
I ordered a pair of Freshadama studs 9.5-10.0 to see how nice it is. Love it. Now I would like to get the 17" necklace to match.
They don't have either 9.5-10 or 9.0-9.5 anymore. Should I
1. wait for 9.0-9.5 or
2. get the 8.5-9.0
??? I am in my early 40 and would like to wear it for years to come, read somewhere that pearl size has to be age appropriate. Please advice. Thanks.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a pearl or general etiquette expert, but here is my opinion.
Buy what you like, screw the rules.
Go to a jewellery store and try some on, then buy the size you like.
It seems like you want the bigger ones, call Pearl Paradise and see what they can do for you. I've had much better results from asking a real person rather than ticking boxes on an internet order.

ETA: I need pictures of these lovely earrings of yours!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second JaneSmith's suggestions; call them and ask if they have any available or when stock is coming in. Don't settle for something that's available now if it is not what you want.

I think going bigger (i.e 9.5 to 10 or even slightly larger) is better, especially when you want to wear it 10 years down the road. Personally for me, I find that as I get older I prefer the look of larger pearls on me than smaller ones.

Another alternative would be to contact other reputable vendors such as Pure Pearls or PearlsofJoy for their gem grade quality freshwaters in the sizes that you want to match your earrings. They have a fantastic return policy so if you are not pleased with it you can always return them.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Do you like jewelry that are bold or subtle? Larger if you like bold. Also what length necklace do you usually wear?
I find even though I'm on the taller side I like 16 inch over 18 inch.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this would be included in your question, but for what it's worth (and as one who is a few years older than you) I would do it a bit differently, since you said you want a piece that will travel the road ahead well with you. If necessary, I'd go with a smaller pearl and/or one step down in quality and/or no clasp- in exchange for a much longer strand.

I have one that's 8.0-8.5 mm and it's just fine. I had bought a 7.0-7.5 mm but upgraded because that seemed not showy enough. For one thing, I like the earrings to be a mm larger than the strand at least. I just like them to stand out more, and less than that looks to me like just another pearl from the strand. And then I would get it much longer, at least 24 inch. My reason is with age, neck and jaws tend to get crepey and upper chest not as great looking as it once was, either. A short strand emphasizes all this (hugely!)whereas a longer strand draws the eye away from it and is much more flattering, in my opinion. This is something I would not have thought of just a few years ago, but I'll tell you, I will not be wearing any necklace less than 24 inch ever again (unless I get a facelift, haha, not kidding!)

If budget allows, 48 inch is my favorite length because I find that to be the most versatile, not too many pearls for casual wear (my 64 inch seems a bit much with jeans or khakis) too but still looks much better, in my opinion, doubled or knotted, than 36 inch. My 36 inch would be too short for my tastes doubled. And, to me, it looks a bit goofy knotted, like it's too much "all knot."

Also, for extra savings a clasp isn't necessary with that length, for me at least (no clasp necessary with 24 inch for me, either, because it fits over my head. I would need one with 36 inch if I wanted to double it sometimes, though, but of course, I don't want to double it). Also, the slightly smaller pearls tie into a knot much better than the larger ones. I am not sure over 9mm would knot well but maybe someone else can say. I know my 10-11mm also looks too much "all knot" when knotted because the big pearls make a huge knot, in my opinion. I guess 48 inch could also be twisted and put in a (can't think of the word just now, clamp?) Anywy, when doubled, 48 inch is still be a nice flattering 24 inch length and also looks quite substantial, as it is a double row of pearls. All just my personal preference, of course. I hope you post whatever you get!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Have you called PP to see when they will be restocked. The just went shopping in HongKong and Japan for Christmas stock. We were anxious to see what they came back with. You may want a slightly longer strand than 17 inch. The larger the MM of the pearls, the closer to the collar bones they will sit. Most of my larger MM strands are 18-20Inches.

concun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies. I will call PP on Monday and let you know what I end up with. I want it go well with the earings to make it a set, of course not to compete with the earings.
I have a 18" akoya 7.5, and I thought it is too long. I restringed it to 16" and turn out too short. Your advice on how saggy my neck would be on the road :) plus big size pearl will make it seem shorter makes me rethink :)
I bought a fake 62" strand 8.0 to play with, I think I will get PP 54", no claps per your advice, size 8.0mm?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It sounds great to me! I have two long freshwater 8mm strands, a white and a black and I wear them all the time, everyday or dress up. I hope you post pics!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
It is not just size, you might want tahitian, Golden SS, double strand or 10mm a few years down the road. if you can't foresee what you will like, why not just get what looks best on you TODAY? :twirl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not an expert but i'd hold out for the bigger size and step up to a longer necklace.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So, did you order one, Concun? :))

concun

Shiny_Rock
Sorry that it took me a while to reply.
Yes, I just pulled the trigger this morning to take advantage of the Cyber Monday deal. I ordered 17" White Freshadama 9.0-9.5. They said they already placed the order with the supplier, so I should be able to get my hands on it in 4 wks, long wait :(. I also ordered the 52" rope freshadama 7.5-8.0. This they have in stock but need to string them into the rope, 10 days it is. Yay!!! Once I have all of them, will post the pictures + the studs 9.0-9.5 I got a month ago.

They now do have 10.0-10.5 white Freshadama dangle earings in stock, so tempted... This is my dream size... Should I? White again?

concun

Shiny_Rock
And the rope w/o claps, forgot to mention that. I am about to be banned from this forum, so addicted!!!
SeaUrchin mentioned that 24" would be nice as we age, I agree... If I like what I see, next year Cyber Monday will be the 24" lavender freshadama :naughty:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Four weeks! That is a long wait. Do you like the studs? can't wait to see pics.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
concun|1353954671|3315779 said:
Sorry that it took me a while to reply.
Yes, I just pulled the trigger this morning to take advantage of the Cyber Monday deal. I ordered 17" White Freshadama 9.0-9.5. They said they already placed the order with the supplier, so I should be able to get my hands on it in 4 wks, long wait :(. I also ordered the 52" rope freshadama 7.5-8.0. This they have in stock but need to string them into the rope, 10 days it is. Yay!!! Once I have all of them, will post the pictures + the studs 9.0-9.5 I got a month ago.

They now do have 10.0-10.5 white Freshadama dangle earings in stock, so tempted... This is my dream size... Should I? White again?
Sounds like you are doing all right. Glad you waited (and are still waiting!) for the larger size pearl. Looking forward to pictures of all of your loot :bigsmile: when it all gets here.

If you don't get the earrings now, there always the New Year's Sale, and then the Valentine's Day Sale. :naughty:

concun

Shiny_Rock
I like the studs. I was hoping to buy a bigger size 10.5 but they didn't have it back then, so I got the 9.5-10.0. Sorry that the pictures taken by my phone are not clear but at least you have an idea of what the size is for my earlobe.
OMG, the pictures are gigantic. Don't know how to resize it.

img00533-20121126-1240.jpg

img00547-20121126-1247.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Those are gorgeous. I thought they were white South Sea earrings. :)

About the dangle earrings, that would be nice or also nice to get them to match your planned lavender strand. Maybe I need to go work in a jewelry store, I just lurve to tell everyone what I would buy if I were them, haha. :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
they look great on you!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
They really do :)
I hope mine look that nice.

concun

Shiny_Rock
I got both strands today. Just got home from work and so excited to open the box.
1. 17" 9.0-9.5mm Freshadama necklace looks smaller than I anticipated but I think the size is right. The claps is shiny which is not what I ordered, I want a matte ball claps. But it is ok. Then I see a chip on the 3rd pearl from the claps. It's deep chip, you can see it, you can run your finger over and feel it. I am disappointed. There are 3 or 4 persons checked the order and none of them caught it? I will try to take the picture of it tomorrow in the natural light for you all to see but this will be sent back first thing in the morning. Hopefully I can work a deal with them to get 2nd day shipping on the exchanged necklace as I want to wear it so bad :-Đ
2. 52" 7.5-8.0mm Freshadma rope: I don't have a measurement, but I found about 5 pearls are much much smaller than others. That's fine, maybe it's my bad eyesight. I can't wrap around my neck 3 times w/o the claps, will have to figure out a way to wear it like a 3 strand necklace. I don't know how this strand is compared to the AAA quality, but it definitely doesn't give me the satisfaction like my Freshadama pearl earings. Since it's customed order, no return, I'll keep it and hopefully will grow to like it. Thanks God, no chip on this rope.
Pictures to come tomorrow :-Đ

concun

Shiny_Rock
Here is the one I keep, 52" 7.5-8.0 Freshadama rope. Hope that it grows on me.

img_355.jpg

img_1913.jpg

img_356.jpg

concun

Shiny_Rock
Here is the one I am going to exchange for a different strand. See the dent/chip on the 3rd pearl from the claps? There are visual spot on other pearls too, which makes me think like these are more like AAA quality. What do you think?

img_1923.jpg

img_1922.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I see that dent, which I would not expect on a Freshadama strand. But, I'm also wondering how round the pearls are? A number of them seem out-of-round on your strand. Is it just the photo, or are they that way in person?

concun

Shiny_Rock
On the 52" rope, there is about 10% off-off. This is why last night when I first inspected them, I thought some of them are much smaller than others, but it's the off-round appearance. There are some visually spots/marks or I would say the surface is not perfectly smooth. To me, this is more like AAA quality, or maybe a mix of both. Gosh... Am I being picky? I was expecting each pearl as perfectly round and smooth like my Freshadama earings :wink2:

naria

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, neither strand appears to be freshdama quality. The freshdamas should not deviate by more than 5% so off round is unacceptable. Niether strand appears to have any orient either which makes me suspect sub-freshdama as well...though that could be the photos.

I know the rope was a custom order, but I would email Jeremy with your concerns, specifically noting that you suspect a mixup might have happened. They are super swamped right now with the holidays, accidents happen. My bet is that if you bring up your concerns specifically about the quality of a rope they will work with you to achieve your satisfaction. If you paid for freshdama quality, you should get it even if it is a custom order.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I would get in touch with them too. I think you are right to expect near perfect freshwater pearls when purchasing freshadamas. And that dent should not have gotten through. In my experience the people at PP are very willing to work with people to make things right.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Also the description of the freshadamas does state round. So even though they may not be perfectly round they should be visually round in my opinion. If you want off rounds you buy off rounds , if you want baroques you buy baroques, etc. They are all beautiful in their own special way. But sometimes a person wants a certain look. Nothing wrong with that.

concun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your kind words. I thought about it last night and called PP this morning. They suggest that I would mark the "defect" ones with blue painter tape when I send it back. Will run to the store to get it since I really want the expert to tell me exactly what I am getting or it's my impossible expectation :) Will update you on this 52" rope, and the one I returned last week too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results