shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires, spinels, spessartites - new pretties from HOWJ

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
The first bunch is a trio of small rings I wanted to create, commemorating my then estranged mother (we have since reconnected), who always wore a diamond, ruby and emerald eternity ring with two diamond eternity bands. Sally and her team did this one justice. The rings are an old cut 5mm diamond in rose gold, a magenta sapphire, bought in Finland and recut by Dan Stair (from my original wedding ring in white gold with emerald melee and finally a blue 4mm sapphire from Wildfish gems in yellow gold.

gemtriomm.jpg

gemtriomm2.jpg

gemtriomm2bunch.jpg

trio_magentaonlymm.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Sapphires, spinels, spessartites - new pretties from HOW

Next is a Nigerian spessartite, almost 3 carats 8mmx8mm that I bought from Gene. I wanted something fitting my budget and yet worthy of the ring (that's one reason why I love working with Sally, we can discuss any combinations of metals, budgets and such). So this ring has a silver shank, diamond melee, and a white gold frame with yellow gold prongs.

mspessring.jpg

mspessring2.jpg

mspessring3.jpg

mspessring4.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Spess with friends :bigsmile:

mspessring4withfriends.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

This is a violet spinel I got from Tan, about 1,5 carats. Now that it's set and I walk around with it, I'm delighted to see it's completely sky blue outside in sunlight. Amazing. I'll return with photos, I know these suck, sorry. Had to get started somewhere, it's ages since I've been posting.

mmvioletspinel2.jpg

mmvioletspinel.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Last but not least, some time ago Sally posted a new design, the Baba Yaga - for women who aren't afraid to go into the woods at night. Years ago I read the story about Baba Yaga in a book by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, in Women Who Run With the Wolves. The story has been important to me in many ways. We've been together with my husband for 7+7 years this Fall, two whole cycles according to some. Looking forward to the following seven, I wanted something to symbolize both how far we've come and what we still have ahead.

So, long story short, I had this huge star sapphire of 10 carats that I bought from Lee Little some years ago. It fit this ring exactly. It's opaque and the star is faint, impossible to get on camera, but the color is wonderful (and fits my boots, heh). So into the silver Baba Yaga it went with some onyx side stones.

Thanks for looking :))

babayagaring2.jpg

babayagaring1.jpg

babayaga2.jpg

star_this.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hello MT,
I've missed seeing you here and what a way to make a comeback. Such beautiful rings.

Stackers:
You definitely know how to make both the colours and shapes work together. I would have never thought that an oval could fit in with 2 rounds. The colour combination is also pleasing. Great stackers. The colours are good for being small in size too, which isn't easy. More important, there is such deep meaning to this set.

Spess: Lovely colour and again, I'm surprised to see how you are able to make the shape work in a ring.

Star Sapphire: What a setting! I like how the X at the sides seem to be holding the split portion of the ring together.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Welcome back! Nice bunch of projects! I particularly like the fun spessartite ring - unusual to see such a cut in a ring, but you made it work! And I'm diggin' the Baba Yaga, and your connection to the story. :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Really nice work on those! Love the stackers, they look rich & eye-catching on your hand & the Baba Yaga is just special! I have a wonderfully illustrated book of that story, fun to see it come to life in your ring. I hope now the stackers commemorate your reunion with your mother.

--- Laurie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Love your new rings! The stackers are beautiful, and I love the spess ( looks very nice with her with friends ). The baba Yaga is a great statement ring :)

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono, thank you, I've missed being here!

Stackers: I wanted to see how important close to top color is for me :)) I like how saturated they are together, but luckily for my budget, I seem to like all colors and shades :bigsmile: I had them in the same gem box for almost a year, before I dared have them set. Sally is a wizard with shapes and designing unique combos. She doesn't scare easily!

Spess: I love Gene's cutting. The stone is a fireball, but my camera hates orange.

Star Sapphire: I just love this stone, it looks like a piece of candy. I bought it untreated, but haven't had it sent in anywhere, so I enjoy it as it is.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

NKOTB: Good to be back! :)) The spess sparkles like mad, sometimes I see peoples heads swivel as if they are in a tennis match when they watch my hands moving as I speak. Streak of orange lightning :bigsmile:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Laurie - thank you, love that you have an illustrated story of Baba Yaga, it's such a powerful story. You know, the best thing about the stackers is that I have been able to show them to my mother and share the story with her. I never thought it would happen. But miracles do happen sometimes. <3

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Innerkitten - thanks! :)) The spess loves being with her friends, a riot of orange that brightens up the cruel November here in Finland. Rain and wind, rain and wind. Oh well, at least there is sparkle&color to be worn.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock

I love that sapphire from WildFish, what a rich blue color!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you Kitten :)) In some lights it glows like a speck of rich blue velvet. That's my favorite side of its personality.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MT: first things first: welcome back! As for your rings, they are all lovely. Now knowing that the Baba Yaga ring has such significance, I want to see your boots that they match! Pictures! :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really do love the detailing on the Baba Yaga ring

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

while i really like them all, especially the creative use of the spess, i must say it is your Baba Yaga ring that makes my heart sing! it is indeed inspirational and a symbolic emblem of journey. :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Welcome back! :wavey: Great to see you.

I love all your stories and the reasons for choosing what you have. It makes it so much more personal.

I adore the star sapphire and the setting Sally has made for it. It's the sort of ring that would stand out in a crowd for me! In the stackers I read your description and thought "hang on, where's the Emerald?" and then spotted then in the head of the (gorgeous) magenta sapphire ring. I love the magenta colour - does it shift by any chance?

Many congratulations and enjoy wearing your new beauties.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Clever. I hadn't seen the emeralds at all until you said that, LD. Thanks for your sharp eyes.

MT: now that you've reconciled with your Mom, does she know the meaning of your new stackers and is she honored that you did that?

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Anything for Pricescope :bigsmile: My hubby thinks I've gone crazy, but he agreed to take these photos. Fun!

mmbootswring1.jpg

mmbootswring2.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Minousbijoux - thanks! My husband laughed his head off when he got his photo assignment, but there they are, the boots, I got them on sale many years ago. :ugeek: <-- my little daughter chose this emoticon, heh.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie - thank you, I always love it when you chime in. I always forget how much I love cabochons, until I wear them. They have a whole different presence than faceted gems. The punch of color is amazing.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

LD :wavey: thank you, your welcome warms my heart! <3

When I was little we had these lovely moments with my mom, my grandmom and their jewelry boxes. The stories about the pieces of jewelry were what I loved best, it made for these rituals, wanting to hear the stories over and over. Now I have my own treasure chest and it's packed with the stories as well. Having a place like PS to share them on, is something I appreciate so much.

Yes, the emeralds are quite hidden away in the photos, and much more bright green in person. The magenta doesn't shift, but it's stunning in evening light, it has this velvety richness. I'm so glad I had it recut, despite its tiny size, the color is special. When I compare it to my mahenges, it looks even more purplish.

Here's the original Baba Yaga: http://www.etsy.com/listing/99861517/baba-yaga-original-custom-ring-setting?ga_search_query=baba%2Byaga

My own makes me deeply happy. It's one of those that turns out so much better than I would ever have imagined. I had actually glued the star sapphire behind one of my paintings as a symbol, before I saw Sally's setting and knew it was what I wanted for the stone. (I know, crazy artist. Oh well.)

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Minous - Mom seemed to be really touched when she saw the rings and heard their story. She hasn't been well, so it's not always easy to tell what she feels, but it's getting better all the time. We still share moments of trying on jewelry and telling stories. Each time we do, it seems we focus more on what's good now, than the sorrows of the past.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Thank you for sharing your beautiful rings and their stories. Love your boots and your Baba Yaga...it certainly fits you and I love that you wear it on your middle finger.

Our jewels should make us happy. Live long and let them bring you joy in the midst of life's joys and trials.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

mariedtiger|1353776583|3314436 said:
......................Here's the original Baba Yaga: http://www.etsy.com/listing/99861517/baba-yaga-original-custom-ring-setting?ga_search_query=baba%2Byaga

My own makes me deeply happy. It's one of those that turns out so much better than I would ever have imagined. I had actually glued the star sapphire behind one of my paintings as a symbol, before I saw Sally's setting and knew it was what I wanted for the stone. (I know, crazy artist. Oh well.)

actually, i like your Baba Yaga better than the original! :love:

symbolism is a powerful tool and i think each of us finds what works for us.....no, you are not a crazy artist: you are a wise woman.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Hey movie zombie,

I carried these words with me for many days. Wanted to come in and say thanks <3 I appreciate your words. :wavey:

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock

mariedtiger|1353775367|3314247 said:
Anything for Pricescope :bigsmile: My hubby thinks I've gone crazy, but he agreed to take these photos. Fun!

Love the pose and the boots and the rings!! Just beautiful!!

I'm going to go google the story about the woman and the wolves.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks txgreeneyes =) Love her stories.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results