shape
carat
color
clarity

Age or time period of ring?

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Do you thinks it authentic? It has an old euro cut. Is 2000 too much to pay for this ring?

_1973.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's gorgeous...what specs do you know?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful! For reference, I tried on a ring very similar in style ans stone size. At least I think.. the one I tried was around 1.4 carats, quire low in color (probably M or so) and with a few chips. The setting was a late art deco with milgrain on the profile. Price was somewhere between 2500 and 3000.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks beautiful! I'd guess it's probably authentic. The price would depend on the quality and size of the stones. If the center stone is close to 3/4 - 1ct, and the color is on the white side, no chips, and no visible inclusions, I'd say it's worth the price. If you keep it, please post more pics!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Thanks every one! I'll keep you posted. I'm not sure the size or color of the stones. When I go in next I will ask them more details. I've been wanting a artdeco ring for a while and there not common In my area.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Do you guys think is more 30's 20's or later? I'm not familier with the style.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
hey there - stunning piece :love:

to date this ring - you would need to know more info about its construction

for example:

is it wg or platinum??

what cut are the stones - old euro or transitional or round brilliant?? (I see you have noted that the centre is an old euro)

does the setting feature milgrain or hand engraving??

is the central diamond bead set - or in some sort of illusion setting??

are there any hallmarks on the ring??

we would need some more photos to help you decide

but from the one pic - if this ring is not a reproduction - I would say it looks deco - a period of style which started around 1925

here is an example of a ring from Lang's antique archives that has a similar look

art_deco_diamond_ring_la_4190.jpg

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much. I find that out when I go back to the store next week. Thank you for the check list, now I know questions to ask and what to look for.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
no worries :wavey: be sure to let us know your findings

I adore this period of design - as well as rings from the edwardian era

(but they tend to be more lacy, swirly and more delicate than deco which tends to be more symmetric, cleaner and geometric)

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
yes, I support heliotrope. Loos like this ring is from the late '20s or the '30s.
it's a pretty design :tongue:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, it is nearly impossibe to know 100% whether something is an antique or not, or whether a central diamond is original, unless you have provenance (e.g., know the owners). There are some signs that can allow you to reject the idea that a ring is an antique -- like some casting styles. But other than obvious reproductions, the rest is up in the air. And we can't just from photos. Is it important that is be an original antique?

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
To me it's more important to be antique than quality diamonds, but that's just my preference.

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
mmh.. what we can tell from the picture you posted, we can only tell that it is for sure at least an antique style. Perhaps someone more expert than me could chime in and correct me if I am wrong.. but I think that you could do when y it is quite difficult to determine authenticity from a picture. One thing you could do when you see it in person is to observe little details that speak for authenticity. Is the ring not perfectly circular? are small details (e.g. milgrain) worn out here and there? But again, it could be the case that the ring is antique and simply has not been worn much for whatever reason.
If it feels right, if you love to have it on your finger, then probably it is a good buy for you :wink2:

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
It's price is now $2500. I passed. It's from the 50's, and it looks so much better in the pics I took than in person again. I like older rings circa 1930 and older. Thanks to everyone's tips.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results