shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with south sea pearl pendant design!

lusting

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance for the epic post, but I am driving myself crazy over this would really appreciate some opinions.

So my generous mother is purchasing me a south sea pearl pendant for my PhD graduation, which is happening in a few weeks. I have chosen the pearl, it is a stubby oval shape, 11x13mmm with an amazing lustre. However the bale on the pendant was extremely simple - just a little loop really, so I bought it on the condition that they would change the bale to whatever I wanted. In my shopping trips I had previously come across a different pendant which I really loved the bale of, but the pearl was not as good so I didn't get it. I had managed to get a photo of it, so I asked the jeweller with my pearl to replicate that and provided them with dimensions that would produce the same ratio of pearl:bale size for my specific pearl.

It is now ready, and while they did a good job overall I am trying to decide whether I want them to make some subtle changes. I have attached some images which I would really love your opinion on, showing the pendant as it is, and some photoshopped versions with my proposed changes. The main thing I am thinking I would like to change is the strong taper of the bale towards the cap. Part of me is thinking it would look better if the region where the bale meets the cap was a bit wider, such that they look a little more continuous and less like two separate shapes joined together. It is hard for me to put into words but I originally chose to have the bale and cap as one piece rather than the pearl and cap hanging from a loop at the bottom of the bale because I think it looks a little more modern and simple as one piece. However the way it is I feel that because it tapers to such a fine point it almost looks like it has defeated this purpose, and also feel that it gives it a very vintage/antique look. While I love vintage/antique style, I want this piece to be very versatile as it is a gift which is marking a very special occasion and I want to be able to wear it my whole life and with a range of outfits from casual to dressed up.

I am so confused about it I don't know what to think anymore, because everyone is telling me they think it looks very elegant the way it is and I do see that, but something still just seems a bit off in the proportions to me. Maybe I am just over-thinking it, hence coming here for some outside opinions from people with an eye for beautiful jewellery. In the PS'd images I have removed the bottom millimeter of the bale, such that it is now 7mm long rather than 8mm. The width of the bale at the widest point is 5mm. Oh and I know that the pearl has been mounted to the cap off-centre, it is currently at the jewellers waiting to get this fixed which is why I ended to make up my mind very soon about whether I want to make these changes to the bale.

Thoughts??? Thanks for your help!

pearl_pendant_original.jpg

pearl_pendant_edited.jpg

original_design_small.jpg

edited_design_small.jpg

lusting

Rough_Rock
This final image is a much more crude photo-shop where the bale is shortened by not by quite so much as the other two.

Oh and apologies for the close-up chest shots, eek!

edited.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Let me first say your pearl is very pretty. I agree with you that the bale looks very narrow at the bottom. I would prefer it shorter and slightly wider also. The bale doesn't look quite "hefty" enough in relation to the pearl for my taste While it is still at the jewelers I would look at having it altered.

I pulled a couple of bales off of the site Nacrelover pointed out to show the type of proportions I personally prefer for a large drop pearl. I think the lines flow better.

63831-2-93a910b3-ece0-44d8-8863-8e928843fbfa.jpeg

65889-w-a6c31116-45be-41a6-831b-52a9551d3d2b.jpeg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Your pearl is beautiful. I agree that the tiny point on the bail makes it look a bit flimsy, like it could easily snap right there. I found this Stuller setting that I suspect has proportions more what you are looking for. I'm sure your jewelers can change the bail for you.

Congratulations on your degree.

stuller65130-ee78eea2-def4-4b10-9c7e-5970c7c61814.jpg

lusting

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies your replies were very helpful. Luckily the jeweller managed to fix up the bale so I don't have to go about getting a new one made or sourcing one etc. However there were some beautiful stock ones by Stuller, so will keep them in mind if I ever decide to change it...so thank you!

I will share a few pics of it as it is now :) Can't wait until I officially receive it and can start wearing it....5 days to go now :appl:

pendant_modified_small.jpg

pendant_modified_small_2.jpg

pendant_modified_small_3.jpg

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty - the last photos there look great. Congrats on getting your PhD!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results