color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is the best I could find (cropped from a much larger portrait):
watcheii.jpg

And also this one (follow the link) - Queen Opening Pen

Elizabeth's is larger than the one to be sold, but the style is similar.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I'm currently reading Empress Farah's memoirs "An Enduring Love: My Life with the Shah" where HIM talks (a.o. things) about the preparations in the day of their wedding. The Empress writes:
"Shortly after breakfast they brought the diadem. The Crown Jewels, property of the country, backing the national currency, left the the safe at the Central Teheran bank's safe only on very special occasions. Permition for the taking out of some of them had to be given by a few people, among them the Prime Minister. The diadem I was going to wear has made in the beginning of the 1950s by the Ameriacan jeweller Harry Winston. This incredibly beautiful, priceless jewel has the inconveniance to weight about 2 kg. That's why my hair dressers had a big challenge before them: to fix this beauty on my head, unused to balancing, let alone staying still. Not to mention that I was expected to stay with this diadem untill the evening, drive a few km in a car, climb and stairs, walk, smile, greet people... They had to work at least three hours and I think they could finally realx on the next day, after they understood that there weren't any accidents."

This is only a rough translation of something that was originally written in French and then translated into Bulgarian. I'm sorry if the original or a copy in English sounds a bit different.
If I come accros other such stories about jewels I can mention them here in case anybody's interested.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, please, Bobby. Poor girl -- can only imagine how exhausted she must have been at the end of the day. 3 hrs in the hairdresser's chair, then more hours putting on all the other finery, ceremonies & receptions, all with 2 kg of tiara on her head! Glamor ain't what it's cracked up to be, I'm sure.

Interesting question about QE's watch; will see what I can find -- but if you didn't find it, it probably doesn't exist.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good catch, Bobby. It is Patek Phillipe. Here is the same photo you put up, only more of it. On a blog about Patek watches, the picture is captioned:

Queen Elizabeth
Custom Patek Philippe Golden Ellipse
with 30 Diamond Bezel

In the 1984 photo below we see Queen Elizabeth with her husband, Prince Philip. Queen Elizabeth is wearing her Patek Philippe Golden Ellipse wristwatch. Queen Victoria was the first Royal–in 1851–that wore a Patek Philippe & Company watch, as did her husband, Prince Albert.

http://patekwatch.blogspot.com/2011/06/queen-elizabeth-custom-patek-philippe.html

--- Laurie

queen-elizabeth-wearing-her-patek-philippe-golden-ellipse-wristwatch.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1353794903|3314711 said:
Yes, please, Bobby. Poor girl -- can only imagine how exhausted she must have been at the end of the day. 3 hrs in the hairdresser's chair, then more hours putting on all the other finery, ceremonies & receptions, all with 2 kg of tiara on her head! Glamor ain't what it's cracked up to be, I'm sure.

Interesting question about QE's watch; will see what I can find -- but if you didn't find it, it probably doesn't exist.

--- Laurie

Haha Poor girl... Wearing that gorgeus and colourful but heavy tiara with such a beautiful central stone... It seems strange that it weights so much...Imagine the carat weight of the stones! Most tiaras 've seen are rather light, but then again they don't have that many large stones in them (the Noor-ol-Ain diamond is 60cts alone!). And all that on your head, neck and ears for a whole day... Poor girl, indeed!

A picture of the tiara, courtesy Wikipedia - The Noor-ol-Ain tiara

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is an interesting picture of the tiara being held by a lady (presumably one of the French hair dressers, two sisters, that that had travelled to Teheran to style Miss Diba's hair for her big day) before it nested on the future Queen of Iran's head:
farahnoorolaintiara2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You know, the gems in that tiara are magnificent, and she, of course, was beautiful. But it has never been one of my favorite tiaras; its shape is less than graceful to me, and it looks like simply (ahem, well, you know what I mean!) a mass of stones, where my favorite diadems show more artistic design & stunning workmanship. Some of the other jewels she wore meet any criteria for beauty.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Not my favourite tiara, either. Not even on my Top 10 list. I guess you know by now that I like the look of some of the more classical tiaras (the Girls, Napoleonic tiaras, fringes, to name but a few examples). The the Noor-ol-Ail tiara is, in my opinion a nice change from that pattern. The modern look it has, the impressive diamonds (give me canary diamonds any day!) , the intricate setting all make it one of the better modern tiaras, IMO.
All in all, I think we have a similar taste, Laurie ;-)

Can you give some examples from Farah's collection that meet your criteria? Some of the emeralds, perhaps?

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hey Bobby,

Does anyone have any idea what jewels she was able to leave Iran with? Obviously the state jewels are in a vault in Iran, perhaps some smaller pieces? Just curious? Thanks

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, much of the Iranian jewelry seems a little overwhelming to me. It's as if the Shah wanted to display his country's wealth without restraint. There are some really nice pieces, though. Off hand, I love these two:

This parure was part of the Empress's personal collection -- did not belong to the State, but she left it behind when they fled Iran.

Made for Farah Diba's mother to wear at the Coronation.

Laurensmama, from what I've read, Farah did take some of her personal jewels with her & sold a good deal to support them later. She has said she left her personal privately-owned tiaras & very fancy things because she knew they wouldn't be back & realized she would not be wearing such formal jewels anymore. In the years since, she has been photographed with some gorgeous diamond earrings & a very large intricate gold necklace, bracelets, etc. I also read that she kept some beautiful pearls, which she does seem to wear often. What came from Iran & what she may have bought later, it's impossible to know, of course.

What pieces do you all like of her jewelry?

--- Laurie

139119075958763911_ylymcabl_f.jpg

farah_s_mother.jpg

Lady Emerald

Rough_Rock
Last night I watched a documentary on Farah called "The Queen and I". It was very interesting and she seems a lovely woman. There was a very short clip of the wedding and her tiara was radiant. It was black and white film and the sparkle was amazing.

Shelley

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1354105732|3317261 said:
Bobby, much of the Iranian jewelry seems a little overwhelming to me. It's as if the Shah wanted to display his country's wealth without restraint. There are some really nice pieces, though. Off hand, I love these two:
Well, once again I agree with you. Most of the Phlavi's jewels (read tiaras) were show pieces, rather than jewels with aesthetical value. Most likely not wearable with today's hairstyles/fashion, either. But there were some exeptions, indeed. Not only Farah's turquoises (which show her taste in jewels), but also some of the older all-diamond tiaras and necklaces (from the collection of the Reza Shah's widow), not to mention the gorgeus aigrets and turban ornaments. Also the necklace that was made using Queen Victoria Eugenia's emralds (it could be worn in a variety of ways - short, lonng, with/out the emeralds, etc) and I've always thought it would make a lovely scroll/loop tiara in a classical style ;-) Not to forget the necklace Soraya wore on her wedding day. Emeralds!

This parure was part of the Empress's personal collection -- did not belong to the State, but she left it behind when they fled Iran.
Photos from this sitting are among my favourite of the Empress! The gown worn for this session seems to have been a fav of HIM ;-)

Made for Farah Diba's mother to wear at the Coronation.
Wasn't this made for Farah's mother-in-law to wear? I also remember a photo of Shah Mohamed Reza's eldest daughter wearing the necklaces. AFAIR, the largest briolette is a little above 45cts.

Laurensmama, from what I've read, Farah did take some of her personal jewels with her & sold a good deal to support them later. She has said she left her personal privately-owned tiaras & very fancy things because she knew they wouldn't be back & realized she would not be wearing such formal jewels anymore. In the years since, she has been photographed with some gorgeous diamond earrings & a very large intricate gold necklace, bracelets, etc. I also read that she kept some beautiful pearls, which she does seem to wear often. What came from Iran & what she may have bought later, it's impossible to know, of course.
I've also read that jewels had to be sold. However, I've never seen anything from the Imperial (apart from Pss Soraya's) collection re-appear at auctions or even books... Strange, but I've read that they didn't take jewels because they hoped the exile would be short. Sort of the one with Soraya in the 1950s. As it turned out, however, the exile lasts to this day... BTW, HIM has worn a (cabochon?) ruby and diamond set once or twice. I believe it was before the weddding of Prince Guillaumeof Luxembourg and Sibilla Weiller.

What pieces do you all like of her jewelry?
Af the current coolection I'd pick the pearl pendant earrings. I believe they can also be worn without the drops. Also the impressive pearl necklace she wore at the 2010 Greek royal wedding.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
At the We are Most Amused performance for the Prince's Trust the Duchess of Cornwall wore what appears to be a sapphire pendant with diamonds which I am unfamiliar with. Would anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1354243264|3318945 said:
At the We are Most Amused performance for the Prince's Trust the Duchess of Cornwall wore what appears to be a sapphire pendant with diamonds which I am unfamiliar with. Would anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks

The pendant was first seen during The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Portugal last year and then at the dinner and dance after the Cambridges' wedding. It is believed to be part of the set given to HRH by the King of Saudi Arabia (the large necklace and earrings were worn during the Banquet in HM's honour).
It's more interesting to me that HRH wore her new pave-set VC&A earrings for a second time this month.
The Duchess of Cornwall last nightPhoto1
The Duchess and the earrings (last night) - Photo2

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
First, let me apologize for how horribly late these pictures are. Time does not slow down with school, children, tennis, and now dance lessons thrown into the mix.

Here are my latest tiara events...for school I was the "Queen of Chemistry." I've also included my snaps from the Luxumbourg royal wedding and dinner (notice the great seat I had across from the Grand Duchess LOL :lol: ) For the pre-wedding dinner I decided to wear my Princess of Puke tiara, and for the school event I chose my Madame Mad Scientist tiara.

Enjoy! :))

queenchemi.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Pre-wedding dinner...I'm really excited I can fit in this dress again after losing 30 pounds!

luxprewedding.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
At the wedding...my mother brought me this hat on her last visit. It belonged to my grandmother :lol:

_2132.jpg

nancyjohn

Rough_Rock
a very cool and impressive pieces

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
Yesterday,05Dec12 HM the king of Thailand made a rare public appearance on his birthday
On the balcony of the Ananta Samakhom Thronehall in the Royal plaza. The event this year's
the first time since 9th June 2006 that HM has appeared on the balcony of the Ananta Samakhom
Thronehall. A sea of thais wearing yellow shirts, representing Monday the day that the king wa>s born,
flooded the royal plaza and all the way down Ratchadamnoen Nok Road as far as the eye could see.

i8i6344550.jpg
121205thaiking_6986617.jpg
3001589261377384.jpg
68403_466962883349237_1599789001_n.jpg
13546768161354678502l.jpg
a9uw393cuaezjj4_3.jpg
dsc07558550.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1354380330|3319938 said:
First, let me apologize for how horribly late these pictures are. Time does not slow down with school, children, tennis, and now dance lessons thrown into the mix.

Here are my latest tiara events...for school I was the "Queen of Chemistry." I've also included my snaps from the Luxumbourg royal wedding and dinner (notice the great seat I had across from the Grand Duchess LOL :lol: ) For the pre-wedding dinner I decided to wear my Princess of Puke tiara, and for the school event I chose my Madame Mad Scientist tiara.

Enjoy! :))

Cool photos, Maria! You did look the part at every event! And I envy for the place you had at the dinner :razz: Did you wear your tanzanite demi-parure at the wedding? What about the other jewels. The large diamond drop earrings look very nice :razz:

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AmayasV|1354805055|3324046 said:
Yesterday,05Dec12 HM the king of Thailand made a rare public appearance on his birthday
On the balcony of the Ananta Samakhom Thronehall in the Royal plaza. The event this year's the first time since 9th June 2006 that HM has appeared on the balcony of the Ananta Samakhom Thronehall. A sea of thais wearing yellow shirts, representing Monday the day that the king wa>s born, flooded the royal plaza and all the way down Ratchadamnoen Nok Road as far as the eye could see.

Long may His Majesty live!
Thank you for the pictures, AmayasV. Love the sea of thai people. They have great respect for their monarch and the institution he represents! I read that The Queen was not well enough to attend. I hope it's not something serious.
This year we can also see The Crown Prince's son. It's very nice to be able to see three generations at such an event!
To stay on topic, the breast stars His Majesty wore were gem-set ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
With the Nobels comming in a few days, I think it's time to speculate about what jewels the Bernadotte ladies (all four will attend) might wear. Remeber that the family attends two white tie dinners.

My guesses:
The Queen - The Leuchtenberg sapphire parure and the Connaught tiara
The Crown Princess - The Baden fringe and the "new cut steel tiara
Princess Madeleine - Queen Silvia's diamond tiara and the 4 button tiara
Princess Christina - The 6 button tiara and the large cut steel tiara

My wishes:
The Queen - Queen Sofia's pink topaz parure and the Ruby tiara
The Crown Princess - The amethyst parure
Princess Madeleine - The amethyst parure or the Baden fringe
Princess Christina - The Connaught tiara and her small pearl and diamond tiara (to show us that it isn't in the Stockholm channels)

Bobby

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I just want the Nine Pronger to stay far, far away.

I do so love the Nobel events! What a chance to see some lovely sparklies!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I am patiently waiting for the Crown Princess to have her first time wearing the Connaught!!

Glad you like the pics Bobby! The "diamond drop earrings" were a Christmas present a few years ago (that is, a present to myself :naughty: )

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Maria, good job on losing 30 pounds! You look great and the pics are fun.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1354886479|3325327 said:
I am patiently waiting for the Crown Princess to have her first time wearing the Connaught!!

Glad you like the pics Bobby! The "diamond drop earrings" were a Christmas present a few years ago (that is, a present to myself :naughty: )

Haha Victoria and the Connaught... An interesting idea, but not now. This tiara has to be saved for a special occasion.Why not wait a few months and wear it at her sister's wedding day (I DO hope this will be a tiara event). It'd be like a tradition - debuting the tiara on your sister's wedding ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1354856198|3325153 said:
I just want the Nine Pronger to stay far, far away.

I do so love the Nobel events! What a chance to see some lovely sparklies!

Don't worry! Since Queen Silvia usually alternates between the sapphire parure and Queen Sofia's diamond tiara (aka the Nine Prong), we can rule it out for this year ;-)
I still hope to see Queen Sofia's pink topazes and the ruby tiara ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
My favourite magpie - HRH Princess Maxima of the Netherlands - did it again - looking every inch a princess and showing her love for jewels - at the naming ceremony of the new LNG environmentally-friendly gas tanker Coral Energy. The Princess wore her Tahitian pearl drop earrings and one of her modern diamond brooches on her hat. HRH also wore her cuff bracelet.

ppe12120721.jpg ppe12120711.jpg
*Photos courtesy (c) PPE/Nieboer

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1353795657|3314715 said:
Good catch, Bobby. It is Patek Phillipe. Here is the same photo you put up, only more of it. On a blog about Patek watches, the picture is captioned:

Queen Elizabeth
Custom Patek Philippe Golden Ellipse
with 30 Diamond Bezel

In the 1984 photo below we see Queen Elizabeth with her husband, Prince Philip. Queen Elizabeth is wearing her Patek Philippe Golden Ellipse wristwatch. Queen Victoria was the first Royal–in 1851–that wore a Patek Philippe & Company watch, as did her husband, Prince Albert.

http://patekwatch.blogspot.com/2011/06/queen-elizabeth-custom-patek-philippe.html

--- Laurie

I found it very amusing that a few days after we discussed the Petek Philippe watch HM wore it at the State Banquet in Windsor Castle :razz:

Bobby

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
prince.of.preslav|1355091862|3327094 said:
I found it very amusing that a few days after we discussed the Petek Philippe watch HM wore it at the State Banquet in Windsor Castle :razz:

Bobby

She is a lurker on this thread and wanted to humour us :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results