shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom engagement ring with heirloom diamond!

KyleenJeanette

Rough_Rock
After drooling over everybody’s jewelry for the last month I finally mustered up the courage to post my engagement ring.

My mom created her custom 14K yellow gold wedding band and selected the diamond (she said it took over six months for the whole process :shock: ) in 1984. I remember my dad constantly joking that she had a Ford Fiesta on her finger :lol:

My parents have since divorced so she no longer wears the ring. As a surprise for my 18th birthday she had my name and birthdate engraved on the inside. She said when she passed away the ring was mine. How sweet! But I thought, "Geeze that diamond is going to get lonely in the safe for another 45+ years!

Fast forward to the summer of 2011 - My now fiancé and I started looking for rings. I found my DREAM ring at jewelry store back in Wisconsin (we now live in Iowa) that my mom and I frequent. It was a custom made ring, totally unique and me. Now the next catch was convincing my then boyfriend that this custom ring was indeed the one. It didn't take long to realize that we'd never top that ring.

Fall of 2012 - It had now been a year since we had selected a ring. We had since then purchased a little farm and both started new careers. I knew that buying a 1ct diamond would be challenge on our budget but I tried to remain patient. My mom had hinted to me that she'd be honored if we'd use her diamond in my ring. I said it was up to Travis and I felt kind of bad dismantling her band. She said she was sure our jeweler could do it without harming the band. I said if she wanted to look into it, sure! But it would all depend on what Travis wanted to do.

On a beautiful fall day in October my fiancé and I took a walk at the park by the lake. This was the first place we talked about getting married the following summer. As the sun was setting and I was looking at the water, I look back to see him on one knee holding a my dream ring with a HUGE diamond in it! After squeaking out YES I couldn't take my eyes off the gorgeous piece. As it turns out, he did end up using my mom’s diamond. I think this makes the ring THAT much more special! I am beyond happy with the final product and LOVE having a palladium band! It's a solid comfort fit with a square bottom! All of these pictures are from my phone so pardon the quality.

Center Stone
Carat: 1.09
Cut: Cut to excellent proportions
Color: J
Clarity: VS2

Side stones
Carat: .48 CTW
Cut: Cut to ideal proportions
Color: G
Clarity: SI1

yellow_gold.jpg

front_view_2.jpg

top_view.jpg

front_view.jpg

KyleenJeanette

Rough_Rock
Few more pictures :D

_2173.jpg

_2174.jpg

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOWW!!!! That is a beautiful setting! Never seen anything like it!! CONGRATUALTIONS!!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool ring, I have never seen anything like it before. Congratulations!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and so unique! Looks like there would be sparkles coming from everywhere!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I love that you and your mom both had such beautiful, unique rings. I like them both!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful, unique setting! So glad that you got the ring of your dreams with your mother's stone incorporated into it.

Beautiful and congrats!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!!!!! That's a winner! When's the wedding?

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge congrats :appl: :appl: :appl: Thye ring is very unique and i love the fact that it will always have a big sentimental value for you, due to the fact that you used yor mom's diamond :appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seriously think that might actually be the most unusual and beautiful ring I have ever seen??? :love: :love: :love:

Huge congratulations!! :appl:

Enjoy showing it off. I am sure ladies will be falling over themselves to have a closer look :sun:

D_Glory

Rough_Rock
I LOVE it! It is so gorgeous and unique! Congrats on your engagement! :love: :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How wonderful to be able to have the setting you love with your mother's stone! :appl: It is beautiful! Just be careful because stones that are set really high have a greater chance of getting knocked on things (as in, be sure you have insurance on your ring!).

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful ring and what a beautiful diamond! I love the sentimentality of it, so special!

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
That setting is awesome, I've never seen anything like it! Beautiful ring, congratulations!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Kyleen, on a beautiful unique engagement ring - with built in sentimental value!! It is beautiful! Very nice and really looks awesome on your hand with great coverage!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great setting for a bling lover - no matter how you view your ring, you're going to see serious sparkle and fire! I also love that you were able to use the diamond that your mother so carefully selected for her own ring.

So... are you and your mother going to re-use her original setting? It's such a timeless design... it would be a shame for that ring to be sitting in some safe deposit box!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Came back for another look!!!!!! :love:

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
That is a beautiful ring - and how special to have your mother's stone!!!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Both settings are amazing! I love that your mom wanted you to use her diamond and your ring is gorgeous! Congratulations on your engagement :)

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
What an amazing totally cool setting! I really like it. Your moms diamond is really beautiful, it's great that you were able to use it.
I really like your moms original setting as well. Maybe you or she could find a gemstone to set in there.

KyleenJeanette

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for the congratulations and compliments! :D :D I have yet to see another setting like it so I had to share! I was a little leery at first about how high it sat but so far I have adjusted. Getting gloves on might be a challenge but I'll take that :tongue: I'll post some pictures from different angles soon; it just sparkles from every direction! I was surprised that the color is a J because you can't see any yellow tint, just a bright white. Perhaps the setting helps? I forgot to add before that I am a ring size 6.5.

We set our wedding date for April 13th 2013 which is our three year anniversary! Good thing it fell on a Saturday!

My fiancé said I wasn't allowed to take my ring off (It just kills me to EVER take it off haha) until he a chance to go to our insurance agent the Monday after our proposal but thank goodness we have it all covered now :appl:

I'll post some pictures later of what my mom’s old band now looks like. I was very impressed with how gentle he was at getting the diamond out because I can't see anything cringe worthy on the old band :appl: What would you ladies suggest I place back into the band? I was thinking another diamond but then I'm leaning towards an amethyst. My birthstone is diamond :naughty: so that's why I keep coming back to a diamond.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it really is the ring of your dreams and your Mom must feel so proud that she played such a big part in it! Congrats!

audball

Ideal_Rock
That's so unique! Congrats!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! Congratulations!

KyleenJeanette

Rough_Rock
Hey everybody! I finally got a chance to grab a few more pictures :) I apologize that my ring is a little dirty, I'm having it polished on my trip home over Christmas. Anyway, I was really surprised when I held my moms band next to mine...the diamond looks SO much bigger in the new setting I think! On the second picture I wanted to show how the top diamond in the channel appears to be suspended. It took me a few days to notice that. Hope you all enjoy the pictures and have a very Merry Christmas!

dscn2310.jpg

dscn2317.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE that second picture!!!!!

KyleenJeanette

Rough_Rock
Had to add one more picture!

dscn2309.jpg

Omg, I've never seen one like it. It's beautiful, you should have posted it sooner! :love:

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and how nice to have your moms diamond in it.

KyleenJeanette

Rough_Rock
When I received my beauty I was really surprised at how high it sat (And worried for a split second that it sat TOO high :!: ) because although it had been almost a year since I had seen the model I didn't recall it sitting THAT high. After I put it on and got used to it, the height was no issue. Just last weekend I compared my ring to the model at the store and was amazed at the difference. From the top view the rings look the same but when you look at the rings straight on it looks like two totally different designs! When I showed my fiance the difference he was really cautious about his response haha. He said, "I was really worried that you wouldn't like how high it sat... are you still ok with the setting now that you've seen it compared to the model you fell in love with?" Of course the answer was YES :love: (big sigh of relief from him :appl: ) but I'm still curious why the design change. The original design is more rounded whereas my ring is more like a triangle if that makes sense? The designer wasn't available when I was there but next time we stop I'll have to ask why the change and I'll grab a side by side picture. It's an impressive difference!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results