shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on these OECs?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hello Experienced OEC-lovers! This section of PS is new to me since I haven't been on here much the last couple years while raising my 2 babies :) I'm excited to see these threads with collections of gorgeous old cut stones! Wow!

I'm now looking for an OEC myself, and wondered if I could get some opinions on photos and certs. I'm looking for a stone with nice classic OEC pattern. Just wondering if anyone can comment as to whether one of these stones would be keeper or not.

_2075.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Also, here is another one.

k-1.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not really an expert in judging photos, so I'll cautiously say that they all look pretty nice, nothing jumps out immediately as a problem. Though maybe more expert PSers will disagree. My eye is most drawn to the stone in the second photo, but it may just be a good photo.

What I would advise though, is to ask for ASET scans of these stones. That should help to eliminate the poorer performers, and you can go from there. What's your desired color & clarity range?

Good luck finding your perfect OEC! I'm sure it will be gorgeous :))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The single one jumped out at me. Great pattern. The top right has major leakage under the table. Top middle has lazy center facets and dark inclusions. Top left looks wonky under the table to me.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Thanks GemFever and ForteKitty!

The second picture of the solo stone is one I've seen in person and really liked. It has chips and nicks on the girdle and scratches on the facets. Vendor says he can clean it up and not loose any weight.

Should I have him do this and then take it to an appraiser before making a final decision on it?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I really like the pattern in that one.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
And do you think that I should ask for an ASET or just ask to see the stone with my own eyes. I guess it would be nice to do both!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
And, FK, I really like the patterns in a couple of the OECs that you have posted!! So I do hope that means that the above stone will be beautiful too :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If they can provide an ASET I suppose it wouldn't hurt. But my eyes are usually enough for me, personally. Can you go in person and see that one compared to some other oecs?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Well I had that stone in my possession last week (in fact I guess I do have lots of other pics I personally took of it!), and I did take it to to a couple jewelry stores with only a few options. One of the stores had your typical jewelry store lighting which I do not like, cause I feel like I can't see the "real" stone. Anyways, at this jewelry store I ended up buying another diamond because I thought it had better scintillation and looked clearer. I did take this jewelry store stone outside to look at it and it had pretty color, so I decided to buy it and return the above stone. But when I went back to the jewelry store to pick up the stone I bought, I decided it didn't have the pretty pattern that I really want.

So that brings me back to considering stones again, and thinking that I made a mistake in sending that above stone back, especially if it can be cleaned up! :D

So maybe I should get it back, take it to a store with a larger selection and see if I prefer it still.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would exclude the 1.78 because of leakage.

I think the 1.75 could be ok, it is not showing any more obstruction than the solo stone to my eyes. More photos or video, or information from the SARIN might help with that one. If that is an inclusion under the table I would exclude it.

The 1.61 looks promising, I would ask for a solor photo because I wonder if it is titled in the picture. I would also like to see the lab report/sarin information on it.

I don't think I would call out the solo pic stone again unless you also get a second sent with it. You had it in your possession and it did not wow you! Why keep barking up that tree?

stci

Ideal_Rock
My fav is 1.61. Really beautiful! :appl:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I like the 1.6 but it might be a little tilted like Dreamer says. You might see if you can get a full face on shot of it. From the photos, I feel the same about the middle one and the solo one and don't like the one on the far right.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
How can you tell that the 1.78 has leakage?

Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results