shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring

stang9325

Rough_Rock
I posted this in a previous thread asking about diamond advice on an engagement ring for ~$5K......here is my most recent post (so I figured this forum may be more helpful).

So, I was about ready to make my purchase....all that I needed was to find out her ring size. We went to an art festival this past weekend and I had her friend try on a ring and then have my GF try it on "so she could see how it looked from afar". In reality, she was finding out the ring size for me.

Well, later on while the two of them were browsing around.....she mentioned that she would (whenever we got engaged) like a pearl ring vs a diamond ring. Now, she is pretty frugal with her money so this doesn't quite surprise me and she makes her own jewlery so she is quite picky in what she wears. So my problem is, I really want to spend some money to show my commitment but at the same time I don't want her to not like the diamond. With the return policies, I could get a diamond and return it if she really wants a pearl. On the other hand, I don't want her to feel obligated to keep something that she truly doesn't love and waste all that money that could be spent towards other expenses. Please, I need advice!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you get her friend to have a conversation with her regarding this type of thing?

do you think she might want to make her own ring?

just rambling thoughts.....

stang9325

Rough_Rock
Knowing her, she would probably want whatever I got her and have it a surprise instead of picking it out herself. I fear that if our friend brought it up to her again, she would definitely know something was up and blow my surprise.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO you're overthinking this. Just ask your gf for 3 examples of her ideal ER. It'll still be a surprise because you're making the final decision. I hope you've discussed engagement with her so she's expecting it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
stang9325|1347299907|3265320 said:
Knowing her, she would probably want whatever I got her and have it a surprise instead of picking it out herself. ,,,,,,,.

answered your own question!

is there something she's made that she really liked?
does she still have it?
or did she sell it and regret it?
perhaps that item would give you ideas......

and if she likes pearls she may not be a diamond gal: she may prefer a color stone........

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to take time and look at many settings if you do choose pearl as your engagement ring. Depending on her line of work a pearl may be hard to wear. Nursing, home health , jobs where women wash their hands often or women who work with their hands may not be able to wear pearls to work. You also may want to consider how well ballanced the setting is so the ring doesn't spin on the finger, and perhaps a setting which guards the pearl from damage since it will be worn daily.

rajks

Rough_Rock
Thanks ,all friends for sharing own view. useful in every engagement for human :))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A natural pearl, rather than a cultured pearl, would be a great choice for an engagement ring. Barry Bridgestock of Artistic Colored Stones recently posted this beautiful pink conch pearl. The price is great as well, for a natural pink conch pearl. If you decide to go this route, I would purchase the pearl and make the presentation and then design the ring together. You could also return the pearl, if pink isn't her preference.

Good luck!

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=4213

cp-9140bg_218_general.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know I would not consider a Pearl durable enough for an e-ring.... Would stick to gemstones/diamonds.

Perhaps propose with a beautiful pearl pendant and suggest you pick the ring together?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great idea, HP!

naria

Shiny_Rock
The pendant idea seems really nice. However, I think there are some pearls that would make fine engagement rings. Tahitians tend to have a thick enough nacre that as long as she isn't in a wash your hands all the time industry it should work. They also come in a dizzying array of colors.

The conch pearl is beautiful, but this type of pearl is not well suited to everyday wear. They are sensitive to uv light. Wearing it everyday, in all lighting conditions, will result in your pink pearl turning a dull white. Therefore, people usually advise saving conch pearls for after dark affairs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results