shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping to Australia and New Zealand

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I recently posted some stones for sale. While I'm pleased to say that the response was great, I have learned that if you post them very late in the evening, the first responses come in from overseas - in my case, New Zealand and Australia (last time around, Singapore).

My question: what do others do when the buyer is out of the country and has no track record on PS? How do I mail things legally to Australia and New Zealand in a cost effective way? Colorluvr, one of my heros, :appl: helped me out with a link to the USPS showing all the limitations on sending items out of the country, including stones. So how do you send things and how do you check references? Is the fact that they have track records on ebay and 100% positive feedback as a buyer sufficient? Part of the reason I'm being so cautious this time around is that I've designated the proceeds largely to charity and feel like its not my money to lose, if that makes any sense...

TIA - now over to the Bistro to see if I can drum up some references!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
My experience of sending a $1,000 piece of diamond jewelry to Australia.

This was sold through ebay where you really have to be careful.

I called the Post Office, United Parcel Service, and Federal Express. The only one where you could get online signature confirmation was Fed Ex. I sent it Global International. And insurance was included as part of the service. Yes, it was expensive - $100. However, that included picking it up at my home and all the labels and custom forms that were required to ship it internationally to Australia. I was able to track it online every step of the way. I have heard that trying to get through Australian customs can be a slow experience, yet my package zipped right through. After it was delivered to and signed by the buyer, the signature confirmation appeared on line as proof of delivery. From pick up on the East Coast of the US to delivery at the buyer's home in Australia, it took exactly 1 week.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby:

Thanks so much; I really appreciate the response. I was going to send it Express International for about $45, but I think its not allowed?

$100 for Fed Ex is pricey, but so is Registered Mail, the other safe possibility.

...and what did you do for references, or did you know have a prior relationship with the individual?

Thanks!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Diamond Bistro might work differently from Ebay. And even if you sell to a Pricescoper, from what I read in another thread, is not always a guarantee of a successful sale. With Ebay, you put your auction up, and hope for the best. However, there are things you can do to maximize your own protection.

While the auction was running, I kept close track, and if anyone with questionable feedback tried to bid, I would cancel and block them. I also did some research to determine if some countries were particularly noted for scams, and blocked those countries as well. Also, do a little history on the country to make sure it is even legal to send jewelry before making a commitment to the buyer.

After that, the best thing you can do, imo, is send your jewelry, the safest way possible. Cheap is not so if the item is lost in transit or stuck in customs. I also did research on the carriers, and found Fed Ex had the least problem with lost packages. They also had a good record with getting through customs, which can really turn into a mess during the holidays. Online signature confirmation is a "must" imo to protect yourself from scammers who try to claim the item never arrived. And from what I understood when I sent my package, Fed Ex Global was the only carrier that provided online signature confirmation internationally and insurance up to $1,000.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you - extremely helpful information.

I send things out so occasionally, and internationally almost never - it reminds me again why I don't like selling things!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Just a question- why do you feel you need the references? I wouldn't send anything until payment cleared- via paypal or whatever your chosen method of payment is. Payment clears (including shipping charges) and off it goes. The FedEx process detailed here sounds great, and as a buyer I would be willing to pay the extra $100 myself for safe, fast, and trackable shipping!

How lovely of you to dedicate monies from gems to a charity; good on you!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pretty much gave up on the references - now I'm just trying to find a way to legally get it into the country that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results