shape
carat
color
clarity

How often to restring pearls?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

I have a single strand of pearls that belonged to my great, great Aunt. I wear them a few times a month to work. I believe the last time they were restrung might have been back in the 60s-70s. This may sound like a very ignorant question but how do I know when they need re-stringing? Is there a way to tell? And approximately what should it cost? Is it good enough to take them to any B&M for restringing? I know Birks just ships them to someone to do the restringing on their behalf.

My apologies if this question has been posted previously, I did a search but came up with nothing.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Is the silk dirty or show signs of wear. Are there gaps in the strand where the silk has loosen so they look unevenly spaced? More than likely your strand needs to be restrung. I can't imagine pearls lasting 50-60 years without needing it. Call around and ask for quotes. See if anyone does in house and tell them you want them done with double strands of silk and double knotted. (two strands with one knot in between) Do you like the clasp? If not this is the perfect time to change the style or size. Anyone who sends it out will charge more for shipping it out and there is a chance your jewelry can be lost in the mail. Hope this helps.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
very very very informative, Nacre!
:appl:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the great information. I think I like the clasp, it's easy to put on, it's a hook (like an elongated U shape) but I'm not sure what other options are out there.

Not sure if ppl will keep reading this thread but I have another question. I have a pearl ring, circa 1950-1960s, set in 10K yellow gold. It looks like they anchored the pearl at the bottom of the setting by drilling a hole and then mounting it on a pointy bit within the ring? Is this normal practice? I don't know much about the history of my ring, other than it belonged to my grandmother. I was wondering if, because it's drilled, perhaps the pearl isn't real? The pearl isn't perfectly round from certain angles and the teeth-rubbing test doesn't help me.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty sure that real pearls are half-drilled, then glued onto a metal point, just as you describe. I'm attaching a photo of a Stuller ring mounting designed to hold a small pearl.

The glue can be dissolved and the pearl removed if you want to change settings.

stullerpearlmounting.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like a fishhook clasp. I usually like ball clasps on my strands. They roll with the pearls when you wear them. They come in different MM sizes so you can select the size similar to the pearls you put it on.

http://www.riogrande.com/Search/ball-clasp

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post a picture of the ring? It sounds like either a semi baroque akoya or natural pearl.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
One last thing you may want to consider. How the silk will attach to the clasp. More than likely if your strand has never been restrung for 50-60 years the silk is attached to a bead tip and tied in place with a knot. Please see pictures.
This is a fish hook clasp with a bead tip holding the silk. The strand is strung then the bead tip is applied and knotted. A drop of glue may be added then the metal of the tip is bent around the clasp end with needle nosed plyers. This technique was used for years but because you are using silk and metal it usually the place your strand will break if it does. Slowly sawing though the fibers, or the knot loosens and slips though the opening in the bead tip.

beadtip1.jpg

fishhook.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
There is another option. All words mean the same thing but your restringer may call it something you don't so use them until the light bulb comes on. Gimp / French Wire / Bullion. They are all the same item.
Basically it's a small coiled wire in silver tone or gold tone that looks like a small slinky toy. Your restringer cuts off 1/4 inch and adds it to your strand after stringing the pearls then adds your clasp. . This sleeve of coiled wire protects the silk from the clasp so you don't have to worry about a weak area on your strand.

bulliongimpfrenchwire.gif

frenchwire.jpg

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Trying to upload pics for the first time, bear with me...

Here's the ring, I'm not sure if it's a real pearl or not...very simple vintage setting (I think). For some reason, it looks like rose gold around the pearl (in RL too).

ETA: Cell phone pics - bad quality, sorry.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
trying again with pics

img00213-20121029-1901.jpg

img00217-20121029-1904.jpg

img00218-20121029-1905.jpg

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the advice on the clasp - I'm definitely going to look into the slinky cover for the silk strands. My necklace has some of the silk fraying!

Again, cell phone pics, sorry.

Also, anyone in the path of superstorm Sandy, I hope you and yours are safe!

img00211-20121029-1900.jpg

img00219-20121029-1908.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results