shape
carat
color
clarity

Prepared to buy online - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stuff

Rough_Rock
Hi, After visiting several B&Ms and a lot on online research, I have found a diamond and setting I would like to purchase at bluenile. My question for those that have experience: would you suggest ordering them separately and not set yet. That way I can have them inspected individually. Then, I could go to a B&M to have the ring put together. Is this a useful / good idea?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Mmmm, depends on your level of comfort. Personally, if I were buying a RB, from a jeweler I trusted, and got enough info (including a Sarin) I''d be fine with having the jeweler set it. However, if you have any qualms and/or want to inspect the stone thoroughly beforehand, then by all means buy them separately.

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
I''m not a pro, just another consumer, but I''ve been told it''s best to look at the Ring before it has been set. That way you can get a sense for all the inclusions. Most Setters will try to "prong" over inclusions to hide them from sight (which is good, but makes it harder to evaluate a diamond when set). You may want to make sure you have a B&M willing to do that with someone else''s ring / diamond. Another option is to send the stone back to Blue Nile to do it once you have bought it. It may cost you some money in shipping, but they don''t charge to set the stone. Once you''ve seen the cert, it will be easy to make sure you are getting back what you sent with a loupe on you own. Good Luck.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
It probably IS a good idea but the problem you will encounter is finding a jeweler to set your diamond into it's setting when he has sold you neither one. (I am speaking from experience here) Also, if the diamond is chipped or the setting damaged during the process then Blue Nile is responsible. If your jeweler damages it you may have problems. You will also have to pay your jeweler to do the setting whereas Blue Nile will set if for you at no extra charge since you will be buying both parts of the ring from them.

Blue Nile is a reputable company with a generous return policy, I think you can feel confident that you will get a quality stone and setting.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Pearcrazy. Blue Nile has a solid reputation, but if you definitely want to inspect the diamond separately, I would call BN and see if you can buy the diamond, have it inspected, then ship it back to BN for them to set it into your ring.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would detailed photos of the diamond (showing clarity and cut under some magnification that is) make things easier ?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Some of the vendors on Pricescope will send a stone to a reputable independent appraiser before you pay for it. Then if you do not like the stone, the vendor will arrange to have the stone sent back to them and you will have to pay for shipping, about $100.

I bought my stone from Whiteflash, had them send it to an appraiser where I saw it and then the appraiser sent it back to Whiteflash for setting. It is much better to have a stone appraised before it is set. I did not have to pay Whiteflash until just before my ring was ready to be shipped. There are several other vendors on Pricescope who will arrange for you to see the stone at an appraiser before you pay.I know Blue Nile will want you to pay before they ship the stone. Would they be willing to send it to an appraiser instead of to you so that you can see the stone before it is set? This way, you will not have the stone in your possession and will not be responsible for insurance. And you will know what the appraiser thinks of the stone before you have it set.

If you buy the stone and setting and have a local jeweler set it you may not have much recourse with Blue Nile if either the stone or setting are damaged in setting. And many jewelers do not want to set stones they did not sell. I believe some appraisers do set stones. That might be another possibility because the appraiser should know if there is some defect in the stone which would make it more fragile.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results