shape
carat
color
clarity

Sent diamond to Brian Gavin for possible recut

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I sent a diamond off yesterday to Brian Gavin to be evaluated for a recut. I'm excited to see what he has to say!

I mailed insured and registered and am wondering how long it should take to get to there? Also, for those who have been through the recut process, how long does it usually take before you hear back from Brian once he receives the stone? Days, weeks?

I'm already impatient because I really want to know what Brian thinks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on their back log. And if Brian is in house or traveling. Lesley would be the person to tell you.

And YAY! Congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Registered mail can take 2 days to 2 weeks or so. I think Brian looked at mine pretty quickly. But then it took a few weeks for the recut since I assume it goes out of the country to be recut. It was worth the wait, though!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Just to update, BGD received my diamond yesterday and the should have they recut information for me in the next 24 hours!! I can't wait to see what Brian has to say! :appl:

Much quicker than I expected!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's quick. Can't wait to read what he has to say.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I was shocked to hear that I would receive the info in about a day! Now I'm going to keep checking my email in hopes I get it sooner rather than later! I am not good at waiting! :rolleyes:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news! I hope you hear very soon -- and its the information you WANT to hear! Wishing you minimal diamond loss ;))

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I heard back from BGD yesterday about my recut, and they are going to do it! I knew my diamond had a poor cut, didn't realize HOW bad until I saw the images and reports on the pre recut!!

My diamond is currently .96ct and will be recut to a .80ct. Because it is sooo deep and has an extremely thick girdle, I should only loose .1mm of diameter! I was way more concerned about loosing too much size, not carat weight. I am pleased with only losing .1mm!

They will be sending it off today and it should take 4-5 weeks. I can't wait to see the final result!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! That is almost exactly the same as mine! Mine was almost a carat and ended up .80. It just looks 1000 times better! I am excited for you!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1350567238|3287756 said:
Great! That is almost exactly the same as mine! Mine was almost a carat and ended up .80. It just looks 1000 times better! I am excited for you!

I have no doubt my diamond will look a gazillion times better! My next decision is which pendant to set it in. I think I want the floaty look so I'm torn between the fixed martini or the Barbara martini. Decisions, decisions!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you post before and after pictures please?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to look tons better, and perhaps even look as big as it did previously due to the excellent light return.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
GReat news Orbaya!!! I'd be okay with giving up weight if the cut would look better and size remains almost the same- that is fantastic!!! Just in time for US thanksgiving then???

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Lambskin - yes I will. I am planning to start a new thread once it is completed with before and after pictures included.

Chrono - I know! I so cannot wait to see the "extreme diamond makeover" results!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is BGD doing the before and after photography session or will you be doing that yourself? 4 to 5 weeks will seem like forever.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I took some pictures before I sent it to them. I emailed Jamie to see if they could do some before shots because I think it would be interesting to see the before and after under the exact same photography conditions. So we'll see if they can do that.

I don't know how I'm going to wait 4-5 weeks! I am not exactly what you'd call patient. Especially when it comes to bling!

slevesque

Rough_Rock
How much does a recut cost ? How does all that work ?

Is the price case by case ?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
slevesque|1350570578|3287804 said:

The cost varies on the size of the stone. I sent a diamond to Brian Gavin who analyzed it then emailed me all the pre recut information which includes SARIN, ASET and idealscope images, as well as two reports...one with the current stats of the stone and what the stats will be once the stone has been recut. The analysis is free. Not every diamond is a candidate for a recut however. Brian doesn't do the cutting himself because he is too busy but still does the analysis and then the stone is sent to their factory to be recut using Brian's specifications. It'll take 4-5 weeks, then I'll get the updated images and reports, get the stone set and sent back to me.

I hope this helps!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
slevesque|1350570578|3287804 said:

It used to be priced per ct, like $135 or $150 /ct or something like that. I don't know the current prices.
You send the diamond in, and Brian Gavin evaluates it to see if it's structurally a candidate for recut (a feather that extends into the girdle and certain other inclusions or structural issues might be too risky to recut) and how much weight it might lose. He might be able to rule some stones out just by looking at their inclusion plots, too, I suppose.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results