shape
carat
color
clarity

Maybe we should cut our mother-in-laws some slack?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1348104945|3271343 said:
I never got to meet my MIL. She died a year and a half before I met DH. She'll be gone ten years this October.

From the stories I've heard, she was not an easy MIL. (And this is according to everyone in the family, not just my SIL.) However, I'd deal with whatever issues came up just so my husband could have his mom back for a while. We visit her grave several times a year, and I see how much he misses her then and always. It breaks my heart.

My ex's mom died when he was a child and it caused him a lot of grief. I always felt bad for him and his siblings. Apparently she was a great mom and they all felt a huge void in their lives when she died in her 40s. My mom died of alcohol related health issues.

I feel so bad for my kids they don't have a grandmother. My teenage daughter's 2 best friends are really close with their grandma's and I know my daughter feels jealous but does her best to not let it show. I was really close to both my grandmas growing up and it makes me sad my kids don't have that. So I agree with the post, I wish my kids had a grandma. Even one. They have my grandma but she is so old she is not active and barely lucid anymore.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1348251840|3272345 said:
Labyrinth is good stuff.

I don't have a MIL either. She passed away 6 months before we met.

Sometimes I'm really glad I don't. Others, I really wish I had someone to talk to about my husband and why he does the things he does...

What I do have is a SIL I can't deal with. She is 13 years older than we are, and has the maturity of a 5 year old. I wish I were joking. Usually we get along ok, but I've watched her brawl emotionally with other people over the years, and recently she's decided to take it out on me. She is incredibly selfish and immature. She also has a victim complex, so any time someone says or does anything that she can misconstrue as being a slight towards her, she will. And it'll be WW3. Which, apparently I've done a lot lately. So, she currently hates me (for being "rude") and obviously I'm not exactly fond of her. I've been putting up with her stupid sh*t for the past 6 years, and I'm sooooooooo happy to currently be getting the silent treatment. In fact, I'm so excited to be getting it, I'm going to have to think of ways to extend it!

I hope I'm a good MIL. I hope my daughter and I do ok too...

Oh, I had one of these. Bitchy SIL. She has zero interest in anyone besides herself, especially not her neices and nephews. When I divorced, she was one bitter soul I do NOT miss and was nice to get her out of my life!! She woul start fights with me for entertainment. Took me 2 years to realize it, then I just avoided her. Such a bitter nasty person.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My MIL told me I should stay at home after I gave birth to our daughter. She is so out of touch with her son that she didn't know that he hasn't had a stable job for the last 9 years.

I've learned that if your husband doesn't have a good relationship with his mother, you won't either. I actually feel badly for her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results