shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you clean your house these days?

How often do you clean your house these days?

• Never

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Once a year

• Three times a year

• Four times a year

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Twice a Month

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Daily

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • When people are coming over

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do a really thorough scrub once a week (usually Sunday) as we have a large house and 2 dogs who shed like crazzzzy on white tiles AND I love that "just cleaned" feeling. Although to be totally honest since hubby has been deployed and I'm so tidy myself - ocassionally I'll skip a weekend or just vacum instead. When he gets back obviously I'll have to step it up again - all that Army gear everywhere is so dang messy! :lol:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1347842177|3269331 said:
I do a really thorough scrub once a week (usually Sunday) as we have a large house and 2 dogs who shed like crazzzzy on white tiles AND I love that "just cleaned" feeling. Although to be totally honest since hubby has been deployed and I'm so tidy myself - ocassionally I'll skip a weekend or just vacum instead. When he gets back obviously I'll have to step it up again - all that Army gear everywhere is so dang messy! :lol:

This was our guest room a few weeks after DH got back from Afghanistan (I took the picture originally to post on Facebook for my friends) :-o : gearroom.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay evidently I am the spoiled one. The only time I've ever not had a maid was one year when I lived in an apartment by myself (even my dorm room had a maid), and then I had a boyfriend who was a cleaning fanatic and did it all for me. I wouldn't even know where to start with cleaning. The maid my fiance and I have right now doesn't do any laundry other than sheets and towels though, which is lame. We're not going to switch maids though because she gets everything else so fantastically clean, and somehow magically knows what is okay to move and what should be left in place. When I'm not working it's fine, but right now I'm working seven days a week, and even though I do a lot of weekday work before 3 pm from home (gone all evenings and weekends), I just don't have the time to muck about with it. I asked my fiance to do the laundry today and he said he would, but he didn't. We haven't washed clothes in three weeks though and the situation is getting dire. I should probably go do that right now.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1347844546|3269353 said:
Okay evidently I am the spoiled one. The only time I've ever not had a maid was one year when I lived in an apartment by myself (even my dorm room had a maid), and then I had a boyfriend who was a cleaning fanatic and did it all for me. I wouldn't even know where to start with cleaning. The maid my fiance and I have right now doesn't do any laundry other than sheets and towels though, which is lame. We're not going to switch maids though because she gets everything else so fantastically clean, and somehow magically knows what is okay to move and what should be left in place. When I'm not working it's fine, but right now I'm working seven days a week, and even though I do a lot of weekday work before 3 pm from home (gone all evenings and weekends), I just don't have the time to muck about with it. I asked my fiance to do the laundry today and he said he would, but he didn't. We haven't washed clothes in three weeks though and the situation is getting dire. I should probably go do that right now.

Last week at Target I bought a pack of socks to get me through another week so as not to do my laundry :naughty:

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Twice a week. Once in the middle to keep all the work/school from overrunning the house and then again on Saturday or Sunday so that I feel good about going into another week. I cant stand for the house to be "wrong" Monday morning.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daily:

-kitchen, dishes, sweeping up certain areas. A couple of times a week sanitize/clean kitchen sink. I love it when it's really clean.
-when I'm really good wipe down bathrooms every couple of days

Once a week:

-deep clean both bathrooms
-details like the dish rack/holder
-wash sheets, towels, cat beds

What I intend to do every week but sometimes don't: vacuum and mop. Absolutely hate doing it. And usually by the time I finish doing everything else I'm exhausted. So sometimes I'll vacuum and not mop or just mop the kitchen.

Every couple of weeks or when it needs it:

-scuff marks on the doors and floors
-fridge

I really like when my house is clean and organized. But there are times when I skip doing everything I "should" or "want" to do because we have plans. So then I'll prioritize and just do our main bathroom and kitchen.

I notice though that if i skip certain things (like organizing papers left on the kitchen counter) it gets out of hand really quick and "spreads" to the whole house and I get unmotivated to do the rest.

And I do go through stages where I get really sloppy. Usually if I'm feeling depressed or fighting with DH or feeling stressed. The only things I push myself to do then are the bathrooms and the kitchen.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
sonnyjane|1347843531|3269349 said:
HotPozzum|1347842177|3269331 said:

This was our guest room a few weeks after DH got back from Afghanistan (I took the picture originally to post on Facebook for my friends) :-o : gearroom.jpg

Yikes! I am ashamed to say I have a spare bedroom that looks the same way and no excuse of my husbands stuff cluttering it up :oops:
That room is the dumping ground for everything I am too lazy to put away or find a place for. When our kids where home we kept the house very clean just to keep life running smoothly, now that they are all grown and moved out it is very messy, we both tend to be mild hoarders so things pile up and we seem to be much to busy on the weekend for cleaning so it is very hit or miss when it gets done, we have 2 large family gatherings at our house every year so before that we do a top to bottem then and there are a few things that bug me like stuff sticking to my feet so the floor gets swept pretty often and I can't stand a dirty toilet so that is cleaned frequently, everything else it is a free for all. I should get a helper but I am too cheap. :D

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
sonnyjane|1347840848|3269311 said:
I was thinking about this thread at work today since after reading the responses, it's very clear to me that I lack the "cleaning" gene. I guess I've just never been super concerned with neatness. Do I prefer clean to dirty? Absolutely. Do I prefer cleaning to sitting on the couch watching TV? Not even close.
Are we related? :bigsmile:

When I worked from home, my office based colleagues would ask how I could be motivated to work, and said when they work at home they can't settle to work until they've cleaned the house, tidied the closest, ironed all the laundry and wiped out the fridge (or whatever it is that people do when they clean a house). See, for me, there is no work-related task so dull or mundane that it would not rank higher than cleaning in the list of "stuff I want to do today" so no problem there... ;))

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Sonnyjane I lol when I read your entry :tongue: I vacuum, do laundry and clean bathroom 1x/week. I dust about monthly or when it bothers me. Clean windows about same. Benefit of having company is a well cleaned house and it stays that way for a couple days afterwards. :appl: Had a housekeeper when I had a difficult pregnancy and back surgery. It was nice but I guess I value privacy more..... although I sure liked the eggs in a bowl in the clean fridge! So Martha Stewart.

I'm at the stage where I am getting rid of stuff. Extra set of crystal~ gone to a better home with newly married brother (after I asked sil if she liked it), plastic containers recycled, silver trays and holloware I no longer use ~ donated to Habitat along with extra working computer monitors, golf clubs, vacuum cleaners, furniture. I am still trying to reduce the collection. It bothers my husband that I want to get rid of at least one of 4 sets of china. But then he's had a project car in the garage for the last 29 years!!!!

What really irks me is that I've converted to paperless for most of my bills and bank statements, stopped taking most magazines, don't take a newspaper (spend way too much time on computer reading..... and er, p/s) and I STILL have loads of paper taking up space...... as one poster put it if I don't go through it regularly it piles up. Must be my sorting system. :rolleyes:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
wordie89|1347884735|3269544 said:
What really irks me is that I've converted to paperless for most of my bills and bank statements, stopped taking most magazines, don't take a newspaper (spend way too much time on computer reading..... and er, p/s) and I STILL have loads of paper taking up space...... as one poster put it if I don't go through it regularly it piles up. Must be my sorting system. :rolleyes:

I feel the same way. I hate the amount of junk mail we get (catalogs, free newspapers and fliers, and other stuff occasionally). I also hate that I have so much paper in my filing cabinet. I looked into getting a Neat Desk scanner and digital filing system a while ago but never ended up getting one. Have you thought of something like that?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use to have a chart and did certain things on specified days and certain tasks a couple times a month, etc., but I got burnt out. I guess cleaning up after two kids & my husband for 120years has become too monotonous, so I am sort of lame in the cleaning department. (eta - I just realized I wrote 120 years.... I mean 12, but it really does feel like it's been 120 years!)

There are a couple of things I haven't slacked and that would be having a clean kitchen and vaccuming. Having dirty dishes in the sink is a big pet peeve of mine. I also vacuum plus use the carpet cleaner in the areas the cat does weird things on.

Luckily my boys have reached the ages of where they can now do chores, so we've started them on certain chores and I'm adding more as they get older. There is a lot of stuff they can do, but I don't want them doing any cleaning that involves chemicals so they now vacuum, take out garbage, etc. They have a list on the fridge and mark off if they did the job. If they do their chores, they get an allowance. If they don't do them, they don't get their allowance and they get their video game priviledges taken away.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
We're supposed to clean our houses?!!?

I've just been sitting around waiting for a self-cleaning Jetson-house upgrade.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Since the baby arrived? Never.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling said:
Since the baby arrived? Never.

Yep. Until today, because my mom is coming to visit.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had a maid every other week as long as I can remember. She cleans and dusts the whole house and changes bed sheets. We just do "as needed" cleaning in between her visits. Obviously we do things like clean kitchen counters, load and unload dishwasher, sweep crumbs, etc.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
since baby#2 will be here anytime, I normally do dishes, sweeping the floors and wipe the granite counters along with glass dining table daily.
as for vaccuuming and mopping, dh does it twice a month or so. And laundries are done weekly.
stoves are scrubed every other long weekend by dh as we dont cook much at home these days...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results