shape
carat
color
clarity

Meeting your future husband or wife on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Caroline- OHHH!! you must be getting sooo excited to see him!! How long will he be staying for? How many times have you been able to see him since you met online? I REALLY hope everything works out for you. How exciting! My husband and I were recently separated due to military deployements, and I remember the excitement of anticipation I felt when he was coming back! It''s the best feeling to see the one you love again after a long separation
1.gif

By the way, my husband and I are taking our "official" honeymoon to Ireland in May! my first time there, I''m REALLY excited, although you mentioned your in Northern Ireland, I think we are primarily going to Dublin and County Mayo, where I have distant relatives. Have you been to the US before? Louisiana shouldn''t be too bad in May, but watch out: it''s UNBELIEVABLY humid in the summer!

Talk to you soon
1.gif

irishcaroline

Rough_Rock
Irisheyes -
35.gif
yes i am very excited! He will be staying for a week, we have met once previously but are in contact all the time probably more often than previous boyfriends haha. Its a year since we discovered each other online, but in march/april we were starting to have feelings for each other...that grew into loving each other by june/july. He then decided he couldnt wait any longer to meet me and flew here to Ireland in September. We hadnt planned a date to re meet but knew it would be as soon as we could...unfortunately my mother passed away in Oct (im so glad she got to meet him) and he wanted to come over as soon as possible to see me again, we booked a flight in november, and he will be here this saturday coming!!! thats my story!!! lol

OHHH its wonderful your taking your official honeymoon to Ireland, i feel very touched that you both would choose Ireland...i hope you have a wonderful time and hopefully the weather will have picked up in May..thats actually very strange because i am planning to go to USA for the 1st time in May to see Brad...cool! Probably pass each other in the air! haha...Take care and do pm me if you need to know anything about IRELAND, etc...

Caroline
26.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Caroline - that is funny! we are thinking about leaving for Ireland on may 10th, when are you flying to the US? Well I will probably pm you because I have tons of questions about Ireland! I''m so freakin excited, it''s soooooo beautiful over there! Talk to you soon
28.gif

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
I have a friend who lives here in California and met a terrific woman over the internet. She lives in Singapore. They dated for some time over the internet and they visit each other both here and Singapore. They married back in 1999 and are still happily married.

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
It''s not really about how you meet is it. It''s about your relationship after you meet. People have met in all sorts of unlikely places (mountain climbing, parachuting, hospitals, and on and on.) as well as all of the ordinary places such as work, school, mutual friends, etc. So, meeting and building a connection through dialogue on line and then hopefully on the phone and maybe via webcam is all great, but a successful long-term relationship is not defined by it''s high points, but rather by its low points. At some point someone would have to move near the other. Human beings have conflict, from as simple as what restaurant or movie to see, to all sorts of major conflict over larger issues. No relationship can survive unless the two people have had conflict and have been able to successfully resolve it, have it happen again, resolve it again and so forth over the course of a dating (or even living together) for a while.

If two people were to get married without ever having and resolving conflict...that would make for a rough ride. They might get lucky and work through it, but they''d be married BEFORE they had a chance to find out IF they should be married at all.

irishcaroline

Rough_Rock
Everyone....before i start typing i wanna let you all know i am wearing false nails and there may well end up being a lot of typo mistakes, cuz its kinda difficult. lol

Jim Diamond you are absolutely right. I had my 1st argument with my boyfriend this week when we came to visit and it scared the life outta me, i could remember thinking to myself, "right thats it...i bet it is finished" but no we were able to talk about it and thankfully it was not too long before things where back on track. We actually admitted to each other that it scared us both into proving how we both would be in bits if we broke up, it was a break in the relationship that was needed for us to look at each other and think "we sloved that and are still together, great" even though it was something so tiny. I found it really healthy at the sametime.

However, for all you people how have been waiting on me getting back about the ring that he decided to bring over with him........it DIDNT happen. So i dont know what it looks like and dont have any pictures for you all.
7.gif
im sorry!!! This happened becasue he was suppose to arrive the week before he came here, but the order got messed up and the ring did not arrive at his house before he left to get his plane to ireland. Maybe that was fate tellingme that i am not meant to be seeing it. It is also good that i had previously told him no or we both would have been disappointed. Never worry though...apart from that i had a brilliant week with him, it was amazing too see him again. This time things were a lot more relaxed....probably so relaxed that, when we all booked to go down south to a beach house to stay(there were about 6 of us) my boyfriend got so drunk one night that he put a bet on with his friends back home in usa to run down the street naked and HE DID!!!!! well my god, ive never been so embarassed in my life...lol you can guess, with a bit of drink in us both, that thats where the argument came from!!!!! Not to mention, all my friends where watching and it was gale force winds and rain outside. haha...funny now looking back, but at the time i could have crawled into a hole with embarassment
19.gif
. Hes always been that bit more carefree than me anyway.

We had some realy lovely days and nights together, even though the last two days i was sick because of the very cold weather (he was very considerate and patient which was great as its the 1st time ive ever gotten sick around him, and moan two days straight lol)...last night was brilliant, he took me out to this really fancy hotel for dinner, which was meant to be a surprise but the taxi driver let it slip on the way there...hahaha your probably thinking....did anything go right this week??? haha yesssss, all the little flaws and bumps made it a lot more realistic, romantic and proved how much we really mean to each other. But the distance is back again and next time i see him is May...hopefully. Aghh could be long and painful...but we are getting used to it and its making us stronger for sure.

So guys...i guess when i go to USA in May to see him i will then be able to let you all know about this ring...keep your fingures crossed for me..and i hope you all are having a wonderful weekend.

Caroline
35.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
LOL!!!! Your naked story is sooooo funny! My husband, back when he was simply the bf, LOVED to run around naked. I really don''t know why. He would get drunk and take a stroll around the neighborhood. Sometimes he would steal the lids off people''s trash cans and cover his u-know-what with it! I used to get really embarrased too
32.gif
people would give me that "oh my god, I feel so sorry for you'' look! Then one day he crossed the line and did it at a party in front of a whole bunch of girls, two of which had a crush on him and tried to hit on him while he was doing this. So I promptly put an end to his sherade! But I feel your pain
28.gif

I''m glad you had a great time with him! He sounds like he''s alot of fun and really cares for you
1.gif

You must have a countdown going to when you are coming here to the US! Take care and thanks for updating us
36.gif

Gevurah

Rough_Rock
Heh, this is an interesting topic. Seems like I''m not the only one who''s in the same situation. ^^

Anyways, apologies for bringing back a dead topic, but I wanted to get some feedback on my situation. I too met the person I want to be with for the rest of my life on the internet around March 2005, amazingly through a cartoon forum. It started out as poking fun here and there, sharing pictures and whatnot, but once we started talking to each other every night, things became serious between us. Oh I just want to add that I''m stationed in Germany and she lives in Britain. So, as unexpected as it always comes, we both said we loved each other online. I never thought that I would do that, as I had preconceived feelings about online relationships. but ever since that day, we''ve been talking to each other ever since.

I''ve also visited her a few times in Britain and she has come over once to stay with me, and in those times we are with each other, there was no awkwardness at all, just pure happiness (we''ve fought a couple of times, but it was quickly quelled because we understood each other). In fact, she''s actually coming over this Wednesday to stay with me for two months during her college summer vacation. The thing is though, we''ve been having serious talks about our future (she''s still in school and I''m getting out of the Army at the end of the summer to finish school as well, but in California) and we know that we don''t want to be with anyone else. We''ve discussed lots of issues such as living, expenses, kids, and so on and so on, because she plans on moving to California next summer to finish school and live with me.

One thing that has come up recently is marriage. Now, I never ever ever took this into consideration with my previous relationships (even with one that was 2 1/2 years long), but for some reason, it just begins to resound in my head whenever I''m talking to her. I''ve asked her questions about myself proposing to her and she seems really happy about it (in fact she already gave me a hypothetical "yes"). Also, her parents seem to be wondering if she would say yes if I asked her to marry me. Now like I mentioned before, she''ll be staying with me for two months in Germany. We plan on going to Paris for her birthday in two weeks where I plan on popping the question. Considering we''re both prepared for what marriage can bring to us, am I still doing the right thing? My heart definately says yes, and I can definately take care of her financially, and this is something I definately want (the same goes for her). I feel more anxious than scared asking her... but I don''t know what to do >.<

Any advice?

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I met my husband on match.com although he was NOT super long distance from me. I had to go thru a ton of bad apples before I finally met him and really it was fate because we both cancelled our memberships and were just waiting to be taken off the site when we met. We hit it of INSTANTLY and got engaged 4 months after we met then married within 2 months of being engaged. We will celebrate our 2nd anniversary in October with a new little boy whom will be here in the next 3 weeks :)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I met my husband on the internet almost 11 years ago; he was in Toronto and I was in Boston. We chatted online and over the phone and had weekend visits (and one longer vacation to meet his parents) for a year before he moved to the States and we moved in together. And a year after that he proposed and we got married a year and a half later.

We did have some tough times at first as living with someone is a lot different than weekend visits and talking over the phone/online. I think it helped though that we moved into a new place together rather than having him move into *my* place. Communication is the key!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
I met my husband online too =) like marriahlyn I didn''t have the distance problem (we both lived close to each other but never knew it!)...We met in 99 (we were 16) and got engaged Dec 02 and married April 04. We couldn''t be happier!

Wish you the best of luck..Keep us posted on how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results