shape
carat
color
clarity

A possible replacement?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I think I may have found a replacement! I saw the 3.48 O/P cushion JBEG has and it's gorgeous in person ! The face up is a lot whiter than O/P but of course the body tint shows it's true color grade.

Now, as for the setting... I want to put it again in a Bella Halo (14k rose gold and plat) but, I am afraid the diamond will pick up too much color from the rose gold and look more tinted than it really is, would you gals advise a platinum cup to help deter the diamond from picking up the rose gold color?

Here it is just placed on top of a platinum bella:
imag0601.jpg

And by itself on a stone holder
imag0608.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!! I love how you take lemons and make lemonade!! Upgrade! I have looked at that diamond a bit!! I love it's perfect in between cushion and round shape, and it's pattern!!

JW, I thought ins makes you get a "like" replacement? Which ins do you use? I like that you can switch jewelers with no problem! I still haven't gotten around to insurance :(

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Madelise: I am upgrading after replacement ;-) I do have JM and they have been wonderful through this whole process. My husband figured we might as well do the upgrade now since someone unscrupulous has decided to take my ring instead of having to go through the whole process over again in 5 years for the upgrade.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I loved your Bella, and was heartbroken for you when you lost it. ;( So, I'm excited that jbEG are offering their settings again so that you can have the same design! :appl: You have a 3.5 finger right? So, a 3.5 ct stone in the Bella halo is going to give you significant finger coverage. I'm wondering if the ring wouldn't rub against your fingers? There was a chart here somewhere showing how much finger coverage each ct weight would cover, I'll see if I can find it. Do you know what size finger the model in the pic has?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Christina: That is correct, I got my e-ring last time to a 4.25 since I was stacking bands with it. And the pics are of my hand :) The plat bella in the pics is a size 5 and for a 2.2 OEC.. and it didn't rub against my fingers :). I figured since I only get ONE upgrade.. I might as well go for a honker :)

Should I have a plat cup to balance out the rose gold the diamond will pick up so it will show closer to it's true face up color?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1346257422|3259193 said:
Christina: That is correct, I got my e-ring last time to a 4.25 since I was stacking bands with it. And the pics are of my hand :) The plat bella in the pics is a size 5 and for a 2.2 OEC.. and it didn't rub against my fingers :). I figured since I only get ONE upgrade.. I might as well go for a honker :)

Should I have a plat cup to balance out the rose gold the diamond will pick up so it will show closer to it's true face up color?

I wish Gypsy was around. I think that she would be a great person to ask that question. I've been contemplating resetting my J in RG too and have the same concerns that you do, so I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say. I suspect though that a cup my be helpful in your case, but I really don't know. Have Erica or Grace offered an opinion?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Christina:

Grace was actually the one to suggest it since she was concerned that the diamond might pick up the rose gold and look more tinted than it really is.. Erica is unsure since it is not something they have done before. My previous cushion was a J and it looked amazing in rose gold! It would pick up the colors and throw them around in pastel form.. I wouldn't be worried about a J in rose gold.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion is that I'd use the rose gold to enhance the color. It is going to show the tint so a touch of rose to me would be a positive.

I really do think a halo on a stone that large is going to look too big on a size 4 finger, though. I'd hesitate to put it in a halo since JBEG has other gorgeous settings.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tidbit! I really can't wait to see what you do with it! You had a larger stone before, right? I remember seeing your post about it before I officially joined PS. So honker is nothing new to your fingers!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous! Honestly, I would probably not halo it though--I think it might be overkill.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not halo that diamond and would set it in platinum. ETA: Are you happy with a pronounced maltese cross -- not like an AVC, but one where the cross sets on dark background? I can see it in the photo you posted.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to clarify that I agree with Dreamer that I would personally set it as a solitaire in platinum. I was only referring to the rose gold in a halo.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I'm at work on my phone, so I can't respond to everything till I get home.

reamer: the Maltese cross is not like that in person, my husband was wearing a dark shirt and the camera is black in person the darkness is not like that at all, otherwise I wouldn't have considered it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some obstruction or reflection like you describe is common but it does vary. I know its not always like in that photo, I meant from that phto and the faceting I can tell its a particular type of old cut -- some diamonds when you photo them will never look like that even with a black camera and shirt. Other styles of old cut will show a marked maltese cross and will show obstruction when you look for it. You have seen a lot of old cuts and newer chunkies so know how to evaluate I am sure. Just making sure.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1346258527|3259205 said:
My opinion is that I'd use the rose gold to enhance the color. It is going to show the tint so a touch of rose to me would be a positive.

I really do think a halo on a stone that large is going to look too big on a size 4 finger, though. I'd hesitate to put it in a halo since JBEG has other gorgeous settings.

After seeing some M/Ns in rose gold, I agree... The rose is going to give it a lovely hue. The only thing about the Bella is that my husband was adamant about having the bella halo since it was something very unique. I know I could go with a smaller stone and end up with the Bella too...but it seems like antique cushions that aren't dead in the center and totally wonky are in very short supply nowadays.

madelise said:
Thanks for the tidbit! I really can't wait to see what you do with it! You had a larger stone before, right? I remember seeing your post about it before I officially joined PS. So honker is nothing new to your fingers!!

I had a 2.73 K SI1 (EGL) and it checked out to be exactly that from OWD prior to this.. but my Grandpa needed some extra care that insurance would not cover .. so I sold it to pay for out of pocket costs rather than having my family have to pinch pennies. It was never set ;-) So, a honker would be new to my fingers.

Laila619 said:
It looks gorgeous! Honestly, I would probably not halo it though--I think it might be overkill.

Laila: It didn't look monstrous on my hand ;-) I'm sure DSS will hit me sooner or later, but hubby is the one who is adamant on another Bella Halo.

Dreamer_D said:
Some obstruction or reflection like you describe is common but it does vary. I know its not always like in that photo, I meant from that phto and the faceting I can tell its a particular type of old cut -- some diamonds when you photo them will never look like that even with a black camera and shirt. Other styles of old cut will show a marked maltese cross and will show obstruction when you look for it. You have seen a lot of old cuts and newer chunkies so know how to evaluate I am sure. Just making sure.

Dreamer: I've seen a few, not as many as you though! In person it was very lively and bright, it kind of reminds me of my old 2.73 cushion... which had a pronounced maltese cross in photos but in videos and person it wasn't that pronounced. This particular one, in person I've seen in the sunlight and in rather crappy cafe lighting and it is a fireball ! I love the kozibe effect it has and I'm surprised at how white it faces up, it was only slightly more tinted than my old K.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
imag0610.jpg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
ZahraLeyla|1346300252|3259604 said:
I hope Mike will see this and chime in, but from memory he plated the yellow gold on my ring before setting my diamond (like yours, an O/P OMB from JbEG) just in case there was any chance of the tint being reflected.

The new stone is gorgeous (like a sister stone to mine!) and I have always adored the Bella halo. I seriously considered it for my engagement ring for a while, actually. Sounds like a stunning combination to me, but I'm far from a minimalist...

Zahra: Plated to a white gold color? I absolutely LOVE your RGD design and I covet it.. but the husband is absolutely in love with the bella halo and he'd probably die from the costs of the fancy pinks hahaha.

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1346301051|3259612 said:
I hope Mike will see this and chime in, but from memory he plated the yellow gold on my ring before setting my diamond (like yours, an O/P OMB from JbEG) just in case there was any chance of the tint being reflected.

The new stone is gorgeous (like a sister stone to mine!) and I have always adored the Bella halo. I seriously considered it for my engagement ring for a while, actually. Sounds like a stunning combination to me, but I'm far from a minimalist...

Zahra: Plated to a white gold color? I absolutely LOVE your RGD design and I covet it.. but the husband is absolutely in love with the bella halo and he'd probably die from the costs of the fancy pinks hahaha.

Yep, white gold. I can't tell whether or not it made a difference, but better to be safe than sorry, and Mike knows best anyway.

The Bella really is beautiful, and I thought the rose gold looked wonderful on you the first time around. But yes, I can recommend avoiding fancy pinks if possible - they really do cost a bomb.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock

Z is correct, when ever I'm putting Old Cuts into a coloured metal I always Rhodium plate the inside to stop the possibility of leakage of the colour into the Diamond (unless you want that to happen)

First the setting needs to be prepaired to accept the diamond and then just before setting I mask the whole ring off except for the inside of the gold setting, then I rhodium plate it.
Once the Diamond is set you can't see where it has been plated and it will never wear off because it will never be able to make contact with anything.

It depends on the Diamond as to how important it is to do this but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Beautiful Diamond, good luck with the setting.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
ZahraLeyla|1346301572|3259615 said:

Yep, white gold. I can't tell whether or not it made a difference, but better to be safe than sorry, and Mike knows best anyway.

The Bella really is beautiful, and I thought the rose gold looked wonderful on you the first time around. But yes, I can recommend avoiding fancy pinks if possible - they really do cost a bomb.

Aww Zahra you are so sweet :)

Mike R said:

Z is correct, when ever I'm putting Old Cuts into a coloured metal I always Rhodium plate the inside to stop the possibility of leakage of the colour into the Diamond (unless you want that to happen)

First the setting needs to be prepaired to accept the diamond and then just before setting I mask the whole ring off except for the inside of the gold setting, then I rhodium plate it.
Once the Diamond is set you can't see where it has been plated and it will never wear off because it will never be able to make contact with anything.

It depends on the Diamond as to how important it is to do this but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Mike: the gallery is all in plat, just the top portion of the halo is rose gold, would this make a difference as opposed to just making a plat cup?

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1346471175|3260736 said:
ZahraLeyla|1346301572|3259615 said:

Aww Zahra you are so sweet :)

Mike R said:

Mike: the gallery is all in plat, just the top portion of the halo is rose gold, would this make a difference as opposed to just making a plat cup?

It could, Z's diamond is set in a rose gold halo, we liked the warm colour of heramazing diamond but we didn't really want to play that colour up at all, I Rhodium plated the inside of the rose gold halo just to make sure it was sitting into white metal rather than rose.

Again it is just the inside edge that needs Rhodium plating, the outside of the halo is fine being rose gold, it looks really great against the warmer Diamond.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your advice, Mike :) It is much appreciated, especially from such a talented artist like yourself :)

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1346472295|3260743 said:
Thank you for your advice, Mike :) It is much appreciated, especially from such a talented artist like yourself :)

No problem, your in great hands with JbEG, it's going to be a really pretty ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results