shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your help! Would you go for it?

finallylooking

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow antique lovers!

There's a pawn shop closing near my work. I stopped in today and found a gorgeous Edwardian ring with a single miner's cut diamond in it. Faces up very white. Stamped 18k white gold. The ring is in this style- http://www.rubylane.com/item/419645-212-0323B/18K-w-g-Edwardian-Diamond

I didn't think to take any pics but its gorgeous! Beautiful filigree with butterflies, flowers and a distinct look of a coat of arms over both shanks. Real kicker- the coat of arms has an "M" shape and my BF's (soon to be FI) name begins with M.

He told me I could buy myself a pretty antique since we picked a new ring for my e-ring.

Well they originally wanted $900 for it and its marked down to $300. I know it isn't a closing scam because 3 other stores lost their leases so a steakhouse could be put in their place.

Should I go for it??? It seems very reasonable to me.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hard to say if it's a good value without knowing the size of the stone and the weight of the gold, but if you love it, it doesn't seem like you're being gouged (and just maybe, you'll be getting a decent deal). If you get the ring, please post pics!!

finallylooking

Rough_Rock
yennyfire|1345140997|3252467 said:
Hard to say if it's a good value without knowing the size of the stone and the weight of the gold, but if you love it, it doesn't seem like you're being gouged (and just maybe, you'll be getting a decent deal). If you get the ring, please post pics!!

What size of stone or weight of gold would make it worth it in your opinion? I'd have to guess the stone to be about a .1-.2 ct. There's only the one and then the majority of the ring is obviously the gold and filigree work.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like a decent price to me! If I really loved the ring I'd go for it. And yes, pics if you end up getting it! :halo:

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I am not either, but if you want to see if they will budge, ask if they would knock off some $ b/c the ring is a little out of round and thinning on the underside. I did this and they reshanked the ring I bought from them for free. (I wouldn't let a pawn shop do this, but it may get a little discount?)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on how much finger coverage it gives. I have two similiar antique rings and in all honesty I never wear them. But I can't give them up either..........

I think $300 is not a bad price at all so I don't think I could resist. How many grams of gold is the ring? If I can scrap a ring for half of what I paid for it then I really don't think I am at too much of a loss if I decide I have grown tired of the ring. That is kind of my golden rule for the rings I need to think about buying.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds beautiful for the price I would pick it up if you don't you may have regrets later...... and yes please post pictures once you have it lol

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. If you like it go for it. Antique rings are all the rage now and not easy to find at a great price. Can you ask if you can look at the diamond under a loupe? Just to make sure the diamond has no issues, so that if you do decide to part with it in the future, you don't get an unwelcome surprise. Other than that, treat yourself to a little piece of history. Enjoy!

BTW.... Buying vintage/antique pieces can become an addiction :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results