shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

BubblyBear|1344799528|3250278 said:

Thanks.
The photograph of the flapper is very nice, but I don't think that's Countess Elizabeth for at least two reasons - the more obvious one is that the face doesn't match HRH's and the tiara doesn't look like Maria Pavlovna's fringe, which was more pointy at the top. What's more, the style (flapper) was popular during the 1920s, while Princess Elizabeth didn't marry until the mid-1930s.
The looks of this lady does ring a bell and I think she might have a Greek royal connection (think of Prince Andreas' daughters).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1344794749|3250233 said:
Hey BB, I love these old pictures. Who is the bride and what tiara is she wearing? My picture is not clear even when I enlarge it. Thanks.

As BubblyBear said, this is Queen Frederike of Greece, Princess of Denmark on her wedding to the then (Hereditary)Prince Pavlos in 1938. She is wearing the large diamond tiara of Queen Sophia of Greece AND Queen Charlotte's small diamond crown, a nuptial tradition of the House of Hanover.

Bobby

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
Happy belated 80th birthday, Your Majesty.

queen_14.jpg

queen_11.jpg

queen_26.jpg

queen_27.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You'd never think she is 80. She looks 65 or so. Congratulations to her!

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hey Bobby,

In the photo you recently posted of the Queen Mum to mark her birthday, I don't believe I have seen the pearl drop necklace before. Could you please provide a description. I assume it now belongs to QEII. Is there other photos? Thanks.

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock
This is such a good shot of Princess Charlene's tiara in action!

charlene_0.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good picture, and welcome! Her hair is very nice with it too. I wonder if she'll wear it now that her hair is short. Maybe with extensions, I hope.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1344966650|3251373 said:
Hey Bobby,

In the photo you recently posted of the Queen Mum to mark her birthday, I don't believe I have seen the pearl drop necklace before. Could you please provide a description. I assume it now belongs to QEII. Is there other photos? Thanks.

The necklace of 8 pearl and diamond clusters held together by diamond festoons was part of The Prince of Wales' wedding present to his bride Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Three pear shaped pearls and hung from the three principal clusters. The necklace is part of a set consisting of a pair of cluster earrings and a corsage brooch.
On Queen Alexandra's death the pearl and diamond demi-parure passed to Queen Mary, who often wore the brooch and the earrings but never the necklace. For some reason the jewels were divided (by Queen Mary) with the brooch and earrings in her possession and the necklace in Queen Elizabeth's (the future Queen Mother). The necklace was a favourite of hers both during George VI's reign and her widowhood (it was one of only three necklace HM wore in later years) and was most notably worn at the weddings of both Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret. The necklace was inherited by The Queen in 2002, yet HM has not worn it in public, nor lent it to other members of her family (or at least they've not worn it). The earrings are often worn by The Queen but the brooch has only been worn once - during the 1972 State Visit to France (with the Vladimir tiara, Queen Victoria's Jubilee necklace and the Duchess of Gloucester's pendant earrings).

Regards,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond demi-parure:
qapearlset.jpg

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1345027006|3251689 said:
Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond demi-parure:
qapearlset.jpg

Bobby

This is my favorite demi-parure that HM owns! Hopefully it will be worn again soon, either by Camilla or the younger generations. Who do you guys think should wear it?

I'm still digging through some information on that event. Sorry that it's taking so long!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1345067463|3251991 said:
This is my favorite demi-parure that HM owns! Hopefully it will be worn again soon, either by Camilla or the younger generations. Who do you guys think should wear it?

I'm still digging through some information on that event. Sorry that it's taking so long!

The Queen! I've always hoped that we'll see Her Majesty with Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond set and the Vladimir tiara. A portrait like that (without the Garter sash & star) would be much appreciated!

PS: What event do you mean? Maybe we can join forces ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of the pearl and diamond demi-parure, a wonderful double portrait by Winterhalter of The Princess of Wales wearing the set and her large diamond tiara & The Empress of Russia was sold last year at Christie's.
The portrait can be seen here, and here you can read a falso describtion of The Princess of Wales (Alix)'s jewels.

Hope you enjoy it,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps I shall mention that Maria Feodorovna is wearing her pearl and diamond tiara (part of a parure), along with a diamond riviere, a pearl stomacher and chandelier earrings. I've always loved this parure. Maybe because although it's an old one, there is something modern about it. {Pity that it is out of public sight...and probably broken long ago...
By the way, I've always admired Winterhalter for all the details we can see in his portraits, including in jewels.

mfpearltiara.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1345068156|3251999 said:
sunshine996|1345067463|3251991 said:

The Queen! I've always hoped that we'll see Her Majesty with Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond set and the Vladimir tiara. A portrait like that (without the Garter sash & star) would be much appreciated!

PS: What event do you mean? Maybe we can join forces ;-)

Bobby

The Queen would look lovely wearing it with her white hair mirroring the lustre of the pearls. I'm afraid she won't wear it as she seems to have "narrowed down" her jewelry that she wears for formal occasions. Of course, HM will sometimes surprise us and wear something that we haven't seen her wear before.

The event that I am researching is the Greek gathering that you were inquiring about. Joining forces would be great! :)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1345077010|3252100 said:
The Queen would look lovely wearing it with her white hair mirroring the lustre of the pearls. I'm afraid she won't wear it as she seems to have "narrowed down" her jewelry that she wears for formal occasions. Of course, HM will sometimes surprise us and wear something that we haven't seen her wear before.

The event that I am researching is the Greek gathering that you were inquiring about. Joining forces would be great! :)

I don't think anybody looked bad wearing the demi-parure, ni matter the colour of their hair ;-)
I agree that The Queen has selected a few (can we really call them a few?) pieces for formal wear and surprises us with a long unseen jewel sometimes. The Chips, The Emperor of Austria brooch and Queen Victoria's fringe brooch are good examples of that :)

About the Greek royal event - Honestly, I've given up searching for it. There was no information about it where I found it and I don't think there is info elsewhere. Obviously it is a rare scan from a book, but without the name of the book it's virtually impossible to understand what the occasion was.

PS: I don't want to discourage you. Keep searching for it if you like.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
While searching for the Greek royal event I came across this interesting photo - Queen Frederike in the company of her brother George and his wife Sophia, born Princess of Greece & Denmark and first cousin to Pavlos I. Princess Sophia is wearing the small emerald and diamond floral tiara/necklace that today adorns Archduchess Francesca:
2572395421_85996eaf58_o.jpg

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1345130883|3252373 said:
While searching for the Greek royal event I came across this interesting photo - Queen Frederike in the company of her brother George and his wife Sophia, born Princess of Greece & Denmark and first cousin to Pavlos I. Princess Sophia is wearing the small emerald and diamond floral tiara/necklace that today adorns Archduchess Francesca:

francesca_1.jpg

francesca.jpg

Archduchess Francesca At the Crown Prince of Denmark's wedding (2004)

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
sunshine996|1343606960|3242695 said:
I hope everyone is alright, many of you haven't posted in a few days.

Oh yes, all is good. There have been so few good occasions for royal jewels that I got out of the habit with checking in here daily. School starts Monday, when my time to drool over royal jewels will be limited :((

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
BubblyBear|1344797474|3250266 said:
Here's a photo of the stomacher, at least.

corsage_stomacher.jpg

Isn't this what was turned into the Antique Corsage tiara often worn in the Greek Royal family? It seems to be one of their wedding tiaras (Marie Chantal and Tatiana).

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1345227941|3253187 said:
sunshine996|1343606960|3242695 said:
I hope everyone is alright, many of you haven't posted in a few days.

Oh yes, all is good. There have been so few good occasions for royal jewels that I got out of the habit with checking in here daily. School starts Monday, when my time to drool over royal jewels will be limited :((

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you have enjoyed your summer break then. :)

Unrelated:

That diamond and emerald laurel wreath tiara is lovely! The Archduchess looks like she was influenced by Greece, with her hair styled in that fashion and the choice of tiara, and it's too bad she isn't wearing a white, flowy gown to complete the look. ;-)

Are we going to speculate on which tiara the future Hereditary Grand Duchess Luxembourg is going to wear on her wedding day?* I saw that you guys kind of did with the Duchess of Cambridge, so I was just wondering when we were going to start talking about her different options.

*Yes, I was inspired by the Order of Splendor Blog! :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has everyone seen the nude photos of Prince Harry that were taken while he was partying in Las Vegas a day or so ago? Clarence House confirmed that they were of him. TMZ has two quite nice ones of him wearing only a watch and a necklace-each with a woman-up on its website. Apparently he was playing strip billiards. Later he raced Ryan Lochte in the hotel swimming pool.

As Rocky said in the original movie, "Now that's what I call, 'class' ".

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Attachments

• princeharryryanlochte.bmp
    147.7 KB · Views: 2,498

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
As to which tiara the future hereditary grand duchess wears for her wedding, I am assuming she might wear a piece from her family. Surely her family has one tiara. Otherwise I am not knowledgeable enough about what the royal family owns to speculate what they might loan her. Does the royal family have anything in the vault that might be appropriate that hasn't been seen in a number of years? I would be interested in hearing other opinions.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
1. Oh Harry... :roll: I feel sorry for him, and at the same time I want to shake him and yell "What were you thinking?! You are
27 years old! Time to grow up, or at least make sure people don't take photos!"

2. The only tiara that I know of is the Congo Diamond tiara that can also be a necklace. It hasn't been used since the 80's, but it was the "wedding tiara" for the Royal Family.

luxembourg_weddingtiaras.jpg

_congo.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1345257404|3253445 said:
[...]
Are we going to speculate on which tiara the future Hereditary Grand Duchess Luxembourg is going to wear on her wedding day?* I saw that you guys kind of did with the Duchess of Cambridge, so I was just wondering when we were going to start talking about her different options.

*Yes, I was inspired by the Order of Splendor Blog! :lol:

Countess Stéphanie is a tricky one as there are more than 2 choices. One of them is a Lannoy tiara - a cousin of the future Hereditary Grand Duchess has worn a pearl and diamond number at her wedding. The other obvious choice is the Congo necklace/tiara - Stéphanie might become the third HGDss to wear it at her wedding. Certainly not my choice for I've never liked the arch-like look of it. IMO it looks far better when worn as bracelet or necklace. And there is the question of whether the Grand Duke owns it - as far as know, the Grand Duchess has only worn the jewel when GDss Joséphine Charlotte was still alive.
My wish choices would be the Scroll tiara (it would echo Stéphanie's Belgian roots) or the larger floral tiara, the one that Maria Teresa wore at the Dutch State Banquet.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love the larger floral tiara a lot. It would make a lovely tiara for a bride. Agree with you, Bobby, about the Congo -- somehow its dimensions don't work well as a tiara, though it makes a nice necklace.

What about the Aquamarine Bandeau tiara? Though she may prefer to stay with white diamonds for a wedding. We don't see this one often & I like the design of it.

maria-theresa---aquamarine-bandeau-t.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A few days ago Queen Beatrix attended a concert of the European Union Youth Orchestra at the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam. The Dutch Queen wore her aquamarine and diamond cluster and drop earrings, bracelet & ring and the smaller bracelet that was made using elements from Queen Juliana's large diamond bracelet.
Photos can be seen here - 20-08-2012 Amsterdam

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1345754895|3256129 said:
I love the larger floral tiara a lot. It would make a lovely tiara for a bride. Agree with you, Bobby, about the Congo -- somehow its dimensions don't work well as a tiara, though it makes a nice necklace.

What about the Aquamarine Bandeau tiara? Though she may prefer to stay with white diamonds for a wedding. We don't see this one often & I like the design of it.

I never liked the bandeau when worn as tiara... I think it looks better as bracelet or worn across the forehead. Also, I think it's a pity when royals with vast collections of beautiful jewels choice one of their minor ones for the grandest events (f.e. the Jordanian State Visit, the wedding of The Crown Prince of Denmark & the Crown Princess of Sweden). It looks as though they don't think the event is important enough.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I have questions about the diamond collet necklace in the Norwegian royal family - what it known about their number and provenance?
Queen Maud had two short riveres and Crown Princess Martha wore a long one. Is it ok to say that these are with The Queen now?
What about the riveres worn by Princesses Ragnhild & Astrid? Where did they come from? Were they bought for them? Inherited from other family members?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AmayasV|1345213672|3253039 said:
prince.of.preslav|1345130883|3252373 said:

francesca_1.jpg

francesca.jpg

Archduchess Francesca At the Crown Prince of Denmark's wedding (2004)

Do you think that Princess Victoria Louise is wearing the laurel leaf tiara in this photograph with her youngest son? And more importantly - are there more tiaras known to have belonged to her apart from this one, the one from her father and the tiara from the people of Brunswick?
3315438213_2f40b26dc0_o.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results