shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking inspiration for milgrain bezel antique engagement

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Hello antique experts - I love PS, and have learned so much and been so amazed by your rings and inspiration pictures!

I am planning a custom, antique-style, super-low milgrain bezel for a 1.7 (about 7mm) RB that I'm going to have recut as an OEC (Single Stone in LA will probably be where I have this done, they are amazing as you know). But I haven't quite found the perfect inspiration pictures. I'll attach the SS setting that is closest to what I want, but this setting is a little too high, and a little too angular for me (more Deco than Nouveau). I do realize the setting can only be as low as the depth of the diamond.
I prefer something a little more curvaceous in the engravings than this SS ring. Tiny side stones would be lovely but not necessary, like little baguettes or kite-shaped stones. Or even tiny rose-cuts make gorgeous side stones.
SS assures me they can customize anything, but I need to see something first and have a better idea in my head. My husband is okay with me doing this reset, but we can only do this ONCE, so I am being overly cautious in the planning stages. Of course, the longer I plan, the more I save towards the reset!!! :bigsmile:

Can you help me by sending me inspiration pictures to guide me in putting together all the ideas in my head? I can't draw very well so pictures help me visualize a lot.

I have spent a lot of time looking online at Lang Antiques, JbEG, Megan Thorne, Clay Pit, Israel Rose, places like that for pictures of antique rings, but still just haven't seen the right thing. Most have too much metal for my taste, or are way too high up on the finger.

Here is the SS ring that I love best so far. It's kind of my jumping-off design point. Thank you for sharing!

xxx_38_1309895155_1.jpg

38_1309895155_2-01.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Seeking inspiration for milgrain bezel antique engagemen

This single stone one is one of my favorite bezels. I think it is a little more feminine that the one you posted. Style # VLD092

single_stone_setting_vld092.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't have the style # for this one, but I like it, too.

_458.jpg

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock

1)Parade (Hera collection): I found this on their facebook but couldn't find it on their website.

2) McTeigue & McClelland belle epoque ring

paradehera.jpg

8376_a.jpg

8346_c.jpeg

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock

I found these in PS threads and on Lang Antiques (I apologize that I can't credit the wonderful posters of them from the PS thread, I had navigated away from it before I made a note. It might have been Gypsy?):

119_1299874914_2.jpg

119_1299874914_3.jpg

rg3409-2.jpg

rg3409-3.jpg

kefira

Shiny_Rock

Since you're keeping an eye on Lang, you may have seen this, but I thought it was in the right vein, at least. Not as "solitaire-y" but some gorgeous details on the gallery and shank that may inspire you.

Art Deco Platinum Sapphire and Diamond Ring

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock

Those are wonderful! Thank you guys for posting them!
I'm still searching - it's just hard not to be able to describe exactly what I want. And I only get to do this once, so it has to be right. The SS setting is NOT cheap, which is part of why I'm going so slowly, even though my finger feels a tad empty. ;))

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock

Oh, Trillium, I LOVE it! I wish I could just buy that ring! Thank you, it's so lovely!

And I wish that Single Stone would open a branch in Dallas. :tongue:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock

Oh, Dreamer, that setting is extraordinary. You are so lucky to wear that every day! I love the octagonal look of it so much, and the milgrain is so delicate. Lovely!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks :)) It was a lucky thing the setting came with the diamond when I bought it on ebay. It is a real work of art and I am lucky to wear it.

I really recommend this style of prong set bezel. It adds oomph without covering the stone at all, and the prongs are really a nice addition. I have also seen hexagonal versions of this style that are beautiful.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock

I wonder if I should start a new thread with what I am about to post:

I found this refurbished setting on eBay, and the seller (who has been very nice and prompt) says he took it to his jeweler who said that he could put a different lower bezel on it that would fit my 7.70 round stone. He offered me a very slight amount off the asking price that that price includes the work he'd be having done on it. I think I would still have to have the stone set locally, and the stone would first have to go to Single Stone in LA to be recut to look like an OEC.

Here is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Setting-Mounting-1-5CT-7-5MM-18K-Size-6-UK-L1-2-/180937650592?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1489099332556347132%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

What do you think? I have not had any luck selling the RB on Diamond Bistro in order to use those funds to purchase an authentic antique ring, but in other ways this seems like it might be a bargain way to get an almost-authentic ring. I don't know who I could use locally in Dallas to trust with the setting and the milgrain I would want on the bezel, though.
It's not my DREAM setting, but my dream setting from SingleStone costs 4 times as much. And that's a lot.

What do you think? Has anyone used a refurbished setting like this? Tell me if I should make this a new thread, please!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

:wacko: Well if it were me, I'd hold out for my dream setting, especially if this is a one shot deal. It's lovely but if it doesn't make your heart sing it's not the one.

I think LaurenthePartier has recommended a jeweler in Plano who did some beautiful milgrain/bezel work on her five stone ring (as well as several other pieces of hers). You might want to check them out.

Good luck!

ETA: LTP's ring I mentioned is featured here:
https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-five-stone-ring-old-european-cut-diamonds

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results