shape
carat
color
clarity

Thrush

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Help!

On top of everything else I've suffered since giving birth (vaginal infection, anal tear, mastitis), I now think I have thrush! I know the baby will be diagnosed by the paediatrician, but who diagnoses me, the gynaecologist or a dermatologist? Am I supposed to keep breastfeeding? I heard that it can decrease my supply; is this true?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
You poor thing! I had a persistent case of thrush (over a month) and a concurrent vaginal yeast infection once. OMG- the agony!

I don't know about supply issues since I EPd, but I will say that the only thing that worked for me was painting my nipples with gentian violet and letting them air out as much as possible for several days. I think you can also paint your LO's mouth, though be prepared their mouths will turn purple and GV stains EVERYTHING. My gyn diagnosed me.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry, I hope you get better soon! I don't know if it decreases your supply but I do know they suggest treating you and the baby. I had some slight yeast before my sons were born from my milk coming in and I do think I had yeast after (the doctor kept saying no) but couldn't see it (just the pain) but they gave me a powder to sprinkle on Nystatin. I do know if it isn't working Dr. Newman has some advice here http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/yeast.shtml I know a few PS'ers had it and posted about it in the Pumping thread.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to mention that I also made a homemade cream of bacitracin, hydrocortisone, and jock itch cream and applied in btwn pumpings, in addition to using the gentian violet. I think that combo is what finally killed it.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
The pediatrician says N's thrush is "almost gone" and doesn't need treatment. Everything I''ve read tells me we both need treatment so tomorrow I'm looking for a new paediatrician...

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't abandon the pedi on this issue if you are otherwise happy.

The pediatrician wouldn't treat you. I tell my moms to call their OB for treatment if they are nursing or pumping. You could call you OB and see if they will call in diflucan for you. If the baby's thrush is "almost gone" it may not need to be treated. One's own immune system can conquer thrush. Antifungals et al simply speed up the process.

I would not suggest applying hydrocortisone and/or jock it cream to yourself if you nurse or pump as the lotions are not meant to be ingested and will inevitably make their way into your milk in even trace amounts.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Munchkin|1344901619|3250916 said:
I wouldn't abandon the pedi on this issue if you are otherwise happy.

The pediatrician wouldn't treat you. I tell my moms to call their OB for treatment if they are nursing or pumping. You could call you OB and see if they will call in diflucan for you. If the baby's thrush is "almost gone" it may not need to be treated. One's own immune system can conquer thrush. Antifungals et al simply speed up the process.

I would not suggest applying hydrocortisone and/or jock it cream to yourself if you nurse or pump as the lotions are not meant to be ingested and will inevitably make their way into your milk in even trace amounts.

Really? My LC told me to do this and it totally helped, but if this is true, then I will definitely stop recommending it. (I thought it was similar to the ingredients in Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment.)

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Munchkin, is there no possibility of cross-infection any more?

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, there is a chance of cross transmission, but again, your own immune system can also fight thrush.

If you have burning, pain, etc, it's worth calling your OB for treatment for the improvement of your own discomfort. No one should suffer! Breast feeding (not to mention childbirth) is difficult enough!

We all have yeast on our skin, in our mouths, etc. We constantly pass it to our babies. Given the right environment, it likes to proliferate and can cause some nasty symptoms :knockout: It's not worth your own suffering when there are meds available to help. If your little one is happy and feeding well and per the Pedi's report has a "mild case," the baby may not need treatment.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with Munchkin. You don't need to change paediatricians over this - if N is happily feeding, then there's no issue for him.

However, if YOU are having problems with nipple thrush, then you will need to treat his mouth as well as your nipples if you want to get rid of it.

There are lots of options for you if needed - miconazole gel/cream, nystatin cream, oral agents, gentian violet (but the latter is messy!), and it's easy to treat N too. But get it checked out first.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
pancake|1344916081|3251036 said:
Agree with Munchkin. You don't need to change paediatricians over this - if N is happily feeding, then there's no issue for him.

However, if YOU are having problems with nipple thrush, then you will need to treat his mouth as well as your nipples if you want to get rid of it.

There are lots of options for you if needed - miconazole gel/cream, nystatin cream, oral agents, gentian violet (but the latter is messy!), and it's easy to treat N too. But get it checked out first.
Yes, this is the problem. I have thrush with excruciating pain and I want to make sure I don't pass it back to the baby and then have the baby pass it back to me, etc. Also, how do I establish for sure that I have it given that a milk culture takes a long time to do and often comes out negative?
This is where I've been getting information from: http://www.derbyshiremedicinesmanagement.nhs.uk/images/content/files/Prescribing%20Guidelines/Prescribing%20for%20oral%20thrush%20in%20babies%202010.pdf

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
You don't need to - usually people don't bother with testing for it, treatment is based on clinical signs. A good GP will have seen this loads of times - go and see him/her :)

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
After lots of stress, I've managed to sort this out. My regular OB is on leave so I went to the hospital today to see somebody else. I argued with them because they kept insisting I have mastitis and not thrush and kept telling me to stop breastfeeding while I get treated for mastitis. I kept saying I've had mastitis and this isn't it. It wasn't getting anywhere. I managed to reach my OB who said to come in and he'll prescribe something. Also, the hospital pediatrician saw the baby, confirmed he has thrush, prescribed Dactarin oral gel, and said I should keep breastfeeding.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Yaaay! I'm glad you have some resolution, although disappointed it was so hard for you to attain.

As an FYI (note I'm in the US and am not familiar with the med you posted) most oral agents for babies work on contact. This means the med literally needs to sit on lesions. It's not like most meds that are digested/absorbed and then sent to work. This being said, I always encourage parents to treat little ones AFTER feeds so the med isn't immediately swallowed.

More than anything, I hope YOU find relief soon.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Munchkin|1344991953|3251545 said:
Yaaay! I'm glad you have some resolution, although disappointed it was so hard for you to attain.

As an FYI (note I'm in the US and am not familiar with the med you posted) most oral agents for babies work on contact. This means the med literally needs to sit on lesions. It's not like most meds that are digested/absorbed and then sent to work. This being said, I always encourage parents to treat little ones AFTER feeds so the med isn't immediately swallowed.

More than anything, I hope YOU find relief soon.

That's really good advice. Thanks, Munchkin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results