shape
carat
color
clarity

My (fiance's) Cushion Halo from Barsky Diamonds in Philly

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
This journey started months ago when the g/f and I visited her local jeweler so I could see/inspect a ring they had on display that she fell in love with. Then things got serious, and I decided I’d rather do this sooner, rather than later.

Here is the stone: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-eval-sarin-and-aset-included.167984/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-eval-sarin-and-aset-included.167984/[/URL]

Decision to purchase came after EXTENSIVE online searching, talking with all the appropriate vendors (special thanks to Mark at ERD for the half hour on the phone knowing I wasn’t in the market for an ACB cushion), and spending a day on Philadelphia’s Jeweler’s Row where I viewed no less than 50 stones under my ASET, and found none that met my criteria.

I decided to save one place, right in the middle of Sansom Street, as my last stop. That happened to be Barsky Diamonds, a staple in the Philadelphia Jewelry business for 104 years. To see three generations of men that have lived and breathed the business in one place is exceptional, and you couldn’t ask for nicer folks.

Things started with me talking to the sales guy (Ron), and he showed me a number of stones. After I passed on them all, while he was putting them away, I struck up conversation with a guy sitting at a desk about cell phones (lost his Droid, bought an iPhone [sucks for him!]). He asked what I was looking at, and I rattled off my spec sheet. He looks at my equipment (ASET, Idealscope, loupe, locking tweezers, light tray), and goes ‘You’re a pricescoper, aren’t you?’. I giggled, said ‘Yea, I learned a lot on there; enough to make me comfortable with spending this kind of cash’. He introduces himself as Nate Barsky, and says ‘I have one more for you to look at’, and goes to the display window at the front of the store. Brings me back a ring with a 2.09 cushion, I loupe it, looks good, and he says ‘Hang on, let me get this out for you’. Then proceeds to take it back to the bench, removes the stone from the setting, and brings it out to me loose. Under the ASET, it was the BEST stone I had seen all day, and figured I have a comfortable backup as I hadn’t yet secured the stone from James Allen yet. We come to terms on that stone should I care to proceed with it, then start talking about settings. I was very set on what the setting should be, and brought him many photos, both with what I want, and with what I don’t want. He gives me a quote I’m quite happy with, and we agree to speak again after I hear about the JA stone.

A couple of weeks later, I’m able to secure the JA stone and have it in my hands. I bring it in, he commends the buy, tells me I have a great stone, and we agree to move forward. Nate had fun with the ASET and even pulled out an ex/ex/ex round to check it out as well.

Did I mention that I was absolutely NUTS about the photos? Must have been a dozen of them. I was quite specific about melee size, type of pave, basket, struts, donut, band, etc.

He tells me that the ring will be ENTIRELY hand forged in his shop, and that he’ll stop along the way to show me the metal as it’s made. You’ll see the photos below where there is no donut, which I wasn’t clear about, and where it is in the finished product. Last minute, after indirectly asking the g/f, I give Nate the OK to do a bezel set. We both wanted to do this from the beginning, but I wasn’t sure how the g/f would feel, so I danced around and got the words ‘invisible’ out of her. She only saw the first four raw metal photos, and has never seen the stone. She also doesn’t know when this is happening.

Please excuse my cell phone photos, as it is all I have. For reference, the ring is a size 5.75, stone measures 8.5mm x 7.5mm with one pointers in the halo and band.

In summation, I cannot say enough nice things about Nate and his team at Barsky Diamonds, both his father and grandfather are at the shop regularly, even though it is Nate’s show, and they are all eager to help without being pushy in the least. While this ring was being made, Nate did two other projects for me (earring posts and another ring for my daughter), all of which were exceptional experiences. When we embarked on this, Nate directly told me that he was doing this to see if he could do it. He freakin’ delivered. I couldn’t be happier, as this was EXACTLY that for which I asked.

The link above has specs for the center stone, the rest of the ring is a total of .63 ct in single cuts (mostly .01, some .005 on the struts and donut). Many at the store went ‘ohhh, I wouldn’t do single cuts’, but Nate happily obliged, even going through two separate parcels of stones to find great matches. I’m happy to report that they match wonderfully, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the decision to go with single cuts. The flashes of fire from them match the center stone perfectly. I think full cuts would have come out a bit mushy in comparison.

Nate has earned a customer for life, not just from his service, but from being an overall good f*ckin dude. I really feel like I’ve made a new friend, and will eagerly recommend Nate Barsky and the team at Barsky Diamonds.

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
Re: My (fiance's) Cushion Halo from Barsky Diamonds in Phill

I'm a tech guy, can someone help as to why these won't display?!?!?!?!

I have about 20 to post.

IMAG0397[1].jpg IMAG0400[1].jpg IMAG0399[1].jpg IMAG0398[1].jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats on a great experience!!

Your pics show up in new windows so they're indexing okay, if the tags aren't working try "upload attachment" at the bottom of the page

ETA: Just wanted to mention - have you okay'd posting the process photos here with Barsky? Some vendors prefer that clients don't post these sorts of photos... just thought I'd check, in case you didn't think to ask!

Your first four -

IMAG0397%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0400%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0399%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0398%5B1%5D.jpg

ninitan

Rough_Rock

Can't wait to see your pictures :wavey:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

this looks awesome! can't wait to see more pics and the finished ring. glad you had a great experience at a local store!!

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock

Yssie|1324331751|3084810 said:
Congrats on a great experience!!

Your pics show up in new windows so they're indexing okay, if the tags aren't working try "upload attachment" at the bottom of the page

ETA: Just wanted to mention - have you okay'd posting the process photos here with Barsky? Some vendors prefer that clients don't post these sorts of photos... just thought I'd check, in case you didn't think to ask!

Thanks Yssie, I'll try that again, even though I spent a solid 30 minutes uploading them all to PS.

slg - This was an AMAZING experience. It certainly was VERY helpful that Nate and I hit it off on a personal level, but I was in the store no less than 5 or 6 times, have since purchased 4 pieces from him (including a ruby necklace my 8 y/o daughter talked me into yesterday), and now have my jeweler for life. I don't give out many professional recommendations, but this one is at the top of my list.

Yes, I have checked with Nate about posting the process photos, and he said no problem and that he's going to start casting the ring in sterling with CZs for $99 :lol:

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock

figured out the issue - the '[' and ']' are messing with the image tags, I just needed to edit with appropriate code.

For your pleasure:

IMAG0401%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0405%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0404%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0402%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0408%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0409%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0406%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0407%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0413%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0411%5B1%5D.jpg imagejpeg_2_11%5B1%5D.jpg imagejpeg_2_10%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0427%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0428%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0429%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0430%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0431%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0432%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0433%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0434%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0435%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0436%5B1%5D.jpg

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock

The money shot.....

Again, MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY thanks to:

Nate Barsky
Barsky Diamonds
724 Sansom St
Philadelphia, PA 19106
215-925-8639

IMAG0437%5B1%5D.jpg
IMAG0441%5B1%5D.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

WOW--awesome ring and experience!

cheers--Sharon

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

We have some GREAT online vendors associated with PS but it is also awesome to read a story once in a while about really wonderful B&M jewelers, especially those that respect an educated consumer like yourself (and all your tools!). I found one of those in my new town (used to live just outside of Philly, first suburb outside the city going west...) and it makes me so pleased to have a local that I trust.

Congrats on your engagement and VERY WELL DONE with the ring! It is gorgeous!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Looks amazing! Piece of advice from someone who also had a single cut halo. But about 10 of the things from Nate and keep them. You may never need them but if there is a repair needed (say she slams it against the headboard while she's sleeping) you will be glad you already have stones that will match your current melee.

I think the ring is beautiful. Congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful!!! :love: Congratulations!

(Gypsy's advice is good regarding getting a few of the matching single cuts just in case! Plus I'll add...tell her not to sleep in the ring and then she can't hit it on the headboard!! :lol: )

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow, it's gorgeous-congratulations! And thanks for sharing the story and photos-I'm in the area and will have to check out Barsky's!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks for sharing all the pictures! I love seeing the process. The ring turned out beautifully!

I third Gypsy's advice of getting extra single cuts too and second diamondseekers no sleeping with the ring on :))

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock

Thank you all for the kind comments. The best of all is hearing from her that it is perfect.

Gypsy, et. al. - I did ask Nate to stock away some of those single cuts for me, and when I asked he told me he already did. I also prepped the future Mrs. prior to all of this that micro pave can be prone to losing stones depending how hard she wears it (of course it is absolutely babied now). So, she's at least partially mentally prepared, and there are backup single cuts in the safe. Heh, yes, I'm sure that it being banged on the headboard happens whilst sleeping, right? LOL!!!! She slept with it the first couple of nights, but hasn't anymore. While I had it made on the snug side so it doesn't constantly fall over (and it doesn't), I am concerned once it warms up that I may have to get it sized up a bit. No worries, as he has extra stones and told me it wouldn't be a big project to do so, nor would it effect the overall appearance. Jane at GT is making me a box for it that I hope to have in a couple of weeks so it'll still be pretty when it is put away.

thing2of2 - absolutely stop by Barsky. I posted my experience on the Row in another thread, and while everyone was overall friendly, nobody was as helpful and kind as EVERYONE at Barsky. While I don't know for fact, I've read elsewhere that their staff isn't commissioned, so you'll get less pressure, just genuine assistance. If you are an educated PS'er, call them, reach out to Nate personally, and tell him you're on PS. Keep in mind, I didn't source my stone with them, so they've done the setting and I've bought some other small pieces, but its not like I'm a six figure customer (yet), and they treat me as such, to the point that I get greeted by name by the whole staff. I'm in sales, and customer service at Barsky is some of the best I've ever experienced.

Stay tuned, I'll post some more hand shots from last night later on today after I get them uploaded.

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock

IMAG0476%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0477%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0478%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0479%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0480%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0481%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0482%5B1%5D.jpg IMAG0484%5B1%5D.jpg

BarskyDiamonds

Rough_Rock

I know this was posted a few months back but we just wanted to say thank you from everyone here at Barsky's! :D

Luxie

Shiny_Rock

Congratulations on your engagement - the ring is magnificent! ...(From one very satisfied Barsky Diamonds customer to another :appl: ) My husband just purchased my new 2.6 ct RB diamond (upgrade) from Nathan Barsky two weeks ago (for my birthday) and the experience was amazing. Nathan took such good care of us from beginning to end and we thoroughly enjoyed chatting with both Nathan and his father - what great guys. I am absolutely thrilled with my gorgeous stone and hand made setting, I am so glad they were the last store we stopped at after a long day of diamond shopping on Jeweler's Row. Congrats again - your ring is gorgeous! :love:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good_luxe_girl|1340771133|3224251 said:
Congratulations on your engagement - the ring is magnificent! ...(From one very satisfied Barsky Diamonds customer to another :appl: ) My husband just purchased my new 2.6 ct RB diamond (upgrade) from Nathan Barsky two weeks ago (for my birthday) and the experience was amazing. Nathan took such good care of us from beginning to end and we thoroughly enjoyed chatting with both Nathan and his father - what great guys. I am absolutely thrilled with my gorgeous stone and hand made setting, I am so glad they were the last store we stopped at after a long day of diamond shopping on Jeweler's Row. Congrats again - your ring is gorgeous! :love:
I see this is your only post on Pricescope--welcome to PS. We'd love to see your ring in its own SMTB thread, too.

OP--I know this is an old thread, so I hope your DF is loving her ring!

Luxie

Shiny_Rock

Hi Haven, yes it is my first post - I have been busy looking, learning and drooling on this site. Then when I saw the Barsky post I just had to comment. I will be posting my ring pics as soon as I figure out how to. My iPad wont let me upload pics and neither will my iPhone. I will have to send the pics to DH's laptop, will do when he returns from his business trip! 8-)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good_luxe_girl|1340800508|3224324 said:
Hi Haven, yes it is my first post - I have been busy looking, learning and drooling on this site. Then when I saw the Barsky post I just had to comment. I will be posting my ring pics as soon as I figure out how to. My iPad wont let me upload pics and neither will my iPhone. I will have to send the pics to DH's laptop, will do when he returns from his business trip! 8-)
Can't wait to see 'em! :wavey:

BarskyDiamonds

Rough_Rock

we cant wait to see either!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

skimaster08

Rough_Rock

We have some GREAT online vendors associated with PS but it is also awesome to read a story once in a while about really wonderful B&M jewelers, especially those that respect an educated consumer like yourself (and all your tools!). I found one of those in my new town (used to live just outside of Philly, first suburb outside the city going west...) and it makes me so pleased to have a local that I trust.

Congrats on your engagement and VERY WELL DONE with the ring! It is gorgeous!
what place is this you are describing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results