shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing between these 2 large OECs - more pics

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Anne!

Thank you so much for your response. Okay - I am thinking that the OEC you posted is from OWD's? I am on the hunt and I am happily working with someone and they are great but, of-course, the OCD in me is looking as well to help them =) -and to perhaps suggest it to them:) In any event, the reason why I ask, is b/c I am just trying to eliminate some stones. The one that looked like a match to me, was the one on their website and then when you responded, it seemed to match the criteria of the one I was looking at. I am also sensitive to color (although, it seems like a lot of the ones I love) are warmer. But I think at the end of the day, I need more whiteness.... Also, what do you think of the 3.56 I/SI1 stone at JBEG? (GIA is I/SI1). Also, would you pay this for that size, clarity, color etc? Also, I thought that a Strong Blue (by GIA) normally does command a drop in price (although there is a debate as to whether or not it effects the stone, i.e. if no cloudiness and can enhance color).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Also, are you happy that you went with the stone you did vs the rounder style you mentioned? I ask bc I found one that is more to your shape stone that I am considering and my dream would also to be a round with the VC setting or a bezel set that is! Did you ever look into a bezel for that shape and if so, was there any thought of how it would look? (Meaning that it may not look as appropriate b/c of the shape, etc). Your stone is beautiful, WHITE and gorgeous in the setting you chose!!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi ECL,

Yes, the EGL K VS2 was from OWD. Adam was wonderful to work with btw. If you are interested in that particular stone (if it's still available, I didn't check), you should definitely see it in person before deciding. I did like it very much by video and pics. Even in person too, except for the warmth (about which you may or may not feel differently). Also, that particular stone has some small black inclusions that to my eye seemed to reflect around the stone quite a bit. Something to check for if you do decide to view in person.

The 3.56 GIA I SI1 from JBEG is GORGEOUS. It was not on the market yet during my search, but I saw it online shortly after and I find it lovely. Although its asking price would have been quite a bit outside of my budget anyways. As far as your question about is the price fair - I have to say that I don't know. My stone was 3.92ct GIA I SI2 and I paid quite a bit less. But my stone has an inclusion right under the table (didn't bother me, but may others) and could technically be considered a little deep. The JBEG is also rounder than mine, which some people may prefer.

Yes, I am happy with the stone I chose. In my search I did not come across many antique stones in that size and my particular price point that were in the higher (relatively) color range. And I found out I liked higher color. Yes, I do like my stone's somewhat cushion-y outline too. In a perfect world, I wanted a round OEC and to put it in VC's Sophia bezel setting, but during my search I realized there are not tons of larger antique OEC stones available to choose from at any one point in time, and I was not willing to wait for too too long, so I went with the best option at the time and am very happy with it. I get many compliments on my ring, from laypeople and jewelry people alike. So yes, I am happy with my choices. :) I have kept an eye on the larger OEC antique stone market since my purchase over a year ago and have not seen anything yet that made me wish I had waited. So I am reassured about that.

Yes, bezeling my stone would have been an option. Many PSers and Victor himself thought it would be beautiful in the Sophia bezel. Victor had also offered to manipulate the bezel outline a little to make the stone look more round too, if that's what I had wanted. In the end, my mind liked my cushion-y stone best in a pave halo. I still think that was the best decision for me. But if you wanted to do an off-round stone in a bezel, definitely yes it could work! BTW, if you want see a mockup of my stone in the VC Sophia bezel, you can do so here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-victor-canera-setting-for-my-3-92-oec.162833/

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask anything else. Happy to help if I can, I remember well how challenging this kind of antique stone hunt can be! lol

Anne

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Anne_H:

I appreciate all your information and help! I'm just not sure what to do. That stone is killing me but when I look around and see the size of some other stones and how beautiful they are and the range mentioned they are looking to spend.. I can't see doing it. I know that I will now be the only one to possibly know the difference of a "great, spectacular stone" . well.. MAYBE :wink2: - but it seems like everyone cares more about size etc. Plus - who else would be knowing I was comparing it to that unbelievable amazing one!!! :love: :love: I definitely do not need bigger - but to pay that for a 3.5 is tough. Although, do I think perhaps it's worth it? Maybe. But probably not for me. Again, I like a bargain or know that I am atleast getting some sort of a deal?? Also, the spread seems so small (9.6 x 9.4)? It seems like others are larger for this ct weight and the 4ct+ are much larger. I guess I am answering my own questions. Just wait and spend less. For that amount I'm feeling like it should be atleast VS2 and atleast 4+ carats (10mm+).. and then I would probably pass b/c it's too large!!!!!!! :lol:

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Anne_H:

I appreciate all your information and help! I'm just not sure what to do. That stone is killing me but when I look around and see the size of some other stones and how beautiful they are and the range mentioned they are looking to spend.. I can't see doing it. I know that I will now be the only one to possibly know the difference of a "great, spectacular stone" . well.. MAYBE :wink2: - but it seems like everyone cares more about size etc. Plus - who else would be knowing I was comparing it to that unbelievable amazing one!!! :love: :love: I definitely do not need bigger - but to pay that for a 3.5 is tough. Although, do I think perhaps it's worth it? Maybe. But probably not for me. Again, I like a bargain or know that I am atleast getting some sort of a deal?? Also, the spread seems so small (9.6 x 9.4)? It seems like others are larger for this ct weight and the 4ct+ are much larger. I guess I am answering my own questions. Just wait and spend less. For that amount I'm feeling like it should be atleast VS2 and atleast 4+ carats (10mm+).. and then I would probably pass b/c it's too large!!!!!!! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results