shape
carat
color
clarity

Closing windows in settings

kingsgrove

Rough_Rock
Hi there.
Hope this isn't a silly questions. I've tried searching the answer but have not had much luck yet.
Since I've begun reading pricescope forums I've read people mentioning some gem windows "closing up" in certain settings (particularly in the colored stone forum).
I was wondering how/why this happens, and what types of windows can close up? Plus, what types of settings allow this to happen?

Thanks for your help!

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
I may have this wrong since I do not follow colored gems. I think some gems are cut in such a way that it is possible to look thru them from the top. This is called is called windowing. This is not desireable. I would ask the colored gem forum for a better answer. I am not aware of any settings have that have windows.

kingsgrove

Rough_Rock
bagelboy|1344243212|3246711 said:
I may have this wrong since I do not follow colored gems. I think some gems are cut in such a way that it is possible to look thru them from the top. This is called is called windowing. This is not desireable. I would ask the colored gem forum for a better answer. I am not aware of any settings have that have windows.
Hi bagelboy, thanks for the reply.
My question may of been worded awkwardly. Yes, windows are a result of cutting gems. I hear people from time to time say "that window should close up when set", so I assume that some windows are worse than others, and possibly some setting close up windows better than others?
I was going to ask in the colored gem forum, but saw the description of this forum specifiably mention discussions about settings. Wasn't too sure what to do.
Thanks though :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes when a stone is set, the way the setting looks through the window makes the window appear to be less bad than it is. It's basically like boarding up a window. It's still there, but the setting on the other side means you can't see straight through.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results