shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, we plan to do toasts just after our entrance and first dance. Then dinner, then cake. Then dance the night away. We do have toasting flutes, and I think we'll probably get a cake cutting set, too. I'm guessing someone will give me one at my shower (I may get several!). If not, no big deal, we'll just use what the reception venue has. I don't honestly care if we get our own or not, I just figure, knowing my family, someone will want to get them for us.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to mention that we are doing our first dance after the cake cutting. We are not throwing the bouquet or garter. I am considering having a moment where I present a bouquet to my fiance's sister as a symbol of passing the torch on to the next bride. I feel like if I do something like that then people who are waiting for the bouquet toss will get clued in to the fact that there won't be one.

I don't have any extra utensils for the cake cutting. I think up to this point I just assumed I would use whatever the venue provided. Hmm! I may try to find something now that you mention it!

We do not have champagne flutes, but we might purchase some if we don't receive them as a gift by the wedding. My catering package includes a champagne fountain, so that's how everyone else will get their toast beverage!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered my dress! Woohoo! I'm so glad I went back alone. They were so much more attentive this time! I think they felt sorry for the poor lonely bride or something, but whatever, I got excellent service! I totally felt like a princess and I just went for it. Bought the dress, a veil, and all undergarments. Hooray! So excited! I already have all my jewelry, so now I just need shoes. And a blusher. I totally forgot to order a blusher today. I meant to, and I just forgot. Oh well.

My dress is huge and princessy and my veil is cathedral length with crystals. It's all totally extravagant and like nothing I've ever worn before. And I love it! I think I was just feeling really self-conscious before...like who am I to play dress-up like this? But I have just decided to own it. For one day in my life, I will be extravagant. If I look like a princess, so be it. I will just have to act like one too.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand|1337313645|3198116 said:
I ordered my dress! Woohoo! I'm so glad I went back alone. They were so much more attentive this time! I think they felt sorry for the poor lonely bride or something, but whatever, I got excellent service! I totally felt like a princess and I just went for it. Bought the dress, a veil, and all undergarments. Hooray! So excited! I already have all my jewelry, so now I just need shoes. And a blusher. I totally forgot to order a blusher today. I meant to, and I just forgot. Oh well.

My dress is huge and princessy and my veil is cathedral length with crystals. It's all totally extravagant and like nothing I've ever worn before. And I love it! I think I was just feeling really self-conscious before...like who am I to play dress-up like this? But I have just decided to own it. For one day in my life, I will be extravagant. If I look like a princess, so be it. I will just have to act like one too.
Congrats on picking THE dress! And veil and everything else too! :D I think if there is ever a day in your life to be extravagent that your wedding day is the perfect day for it!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
blacksand|1337313645|3198116 said:

oh I am so glad you found your dress!!!!! :appl: :appl: I can't wait to see it!

I think I am almost done with all of these little DIY projects...I made the oh-so-popular wire hangers, little bag for the rings, bag for breaking of the glass, all of the welcome bags, favors, etc...

we picked up my dress yesterday and today FI gets in to town and we will get the marriage license :)

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck this weekend, slg! I'm sure you will have a wonderful day!

I'm hoping to get a lot of DIY done this weekend myself.

My bridesmaids threw me a shower this past weekend. I just wanted to share a couple pics of the food and decorations which were in the teal and yellow theme. It was such a lovely day and I am a lucky girl for having such wonderful friends and family!

shower%20001a.jpg

shower%20002a.jpg

shower%20003a.jpg

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
slg, have a wonderful weekend! I can't wait to read all about it! Everything will be wonderful.

gem_anemone, your shower decorations look amazing! What great friends and family you have. I hope you had a great time at your shower. Did you get any exciting gifts? Did you get to eat your smoked salmon?

My news is that I have fallen in love with a pair of ridiculously expensive shoes. I'm not even a shoe person. I don't ever spend more than $50 on shoes and I don't even notice shoes on other people most of the time. It would be crazy for me to spend a lot of money on wedding shoes. But I want them.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
blacksand said:
My news is that I have fallen in love with a pair of ridiculously expensive shoes. I'm not even a shoe person. I don't ever spend more than $50 on shoes and I don't even notice shoes on other people most of the time. It would be crazy for me to spend a lot of money on wedding shoes. But I want them.

I'm an enabler. Buy the shoes! You could totally wear them again and they would be amazing!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand|1337890668|3202876 said:
gem_anemone, your shower decorations look amazing! What great friends and family you have. I hope you had a great time at your shower. Did you get any exciting gifts? Did you get to eat your smoked salmon?

I did! I got a lot of great stuff off the registry and some really nice thoughtful things that I wouldn't even have thought of... including personalized champagne glasses! :lol: My FSIL etched on the glasses herself and they look great.

blacksand - Still thinking about those shoes? :Up_to_something:

How was everyone's holiday weekend? Ours was good. I got my shower thank you cards out, we have finalized the invite list and made our own invitations. We used the design I posted before, but made our own version in photoshop :devil: and my FI made the map himself! They turned out pretty darn good! I also had my hair trial and dress fitting the same day. Here is my hair done up with my hair piece and my invitations with any personal information blacked out.

wedpicxyz%20001.jpg

wedpicxyz%20003%20edit.jpg

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
How did this thread get buried? I love this thread.

We booked our photographer! I'm so excited. He's everything we wanted. Easygoing, classic style (nothing too trendy that's going to look dated in a few years), knows all the nooks and crannies of our reception venue and our church, great prices that include everything we wanted. He seems like he will be so easy to work with. We're going to do an engagement photo shoot too, even though we've been engaged for almost a year and a half, just to have some nice casual pictures and get a chance to work with him before the wedding day. Yay! That's one big thing to cross off my list.

I am, on the other hand, stressing about one of my bridesmaids. All of the out-of-state girls I was so worried about have ordered their dresses, no problem! Love them! My two girls in state are the only ones who still need to go shopping. One is coming with me on Sunday to pick up my dress, so hopefully we'll get her a dress, too. But the other one is just totally nonresponsive lately. We see her often, but she just stopped talking about the wedding all of a sudden, after being really excited in the beginning. She has a great excuse for being distracted: She is pregnant. I know she is stressed, worried about her body, not sure what size she'll be, and OF COURSE she is much more focused on the baby than she is on my wedding, which is EXACTLY how it should be. I am so happy and excited for her, too, and am already furiously crocheting a baby blanket for her little boy! It's just that I'm getting a vibe...I'm afraid she's going to tell me the wedding is too much for her with the baby coming and whatnot. And I would understand if that were the case, but I would still be really sad not to have her as a bridesmaid. I think we can make it work. The baby is due two months before the wedding, we can have her dress alterations done just a few weeks before to accommodate whatever size she needs, I can help her with expenses if necessary, she is welcome to bring the baby to the wedding, we will accommodate her needs. Whatever we can do to make it easy on her, we'll do it. But I just have a feeling she is going to bow out, and I am kind of bummed about that. Her family comes first, and I will understand whatever she wants to do. I'm just kind of bummed. I guess that's selfish, but I just really want her there. I'm going to see her tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out then.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I JUST found this!

I'm going to share my progress thus far. We've booked the photographer, rented tents and chairs (have the tables already), have the DJ and are getting our music list in order, purchased FI's outfit (don't even get me started though...his brother is making him second guess everything about the outfit and he might want to go something completely different..ugh!), all the BM's have their dresses. Hmm...that's all I can think of thus far lol

Is there a pill or something that can take the craziness away? Goodness, gracious! All I think is wedding!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure the are pills that will make you forget the wedding craziness, but I don't think you want to take them without a prescription! It sounds like everything is coming along nicely for you! You are on track. Just remember to breathe!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up my wedding dress yesterday. It is so huge! I still love it but WOW is it a ballgown. I spent most of last night researching how to go to the bathroom in a wedding dress. LOL. I'm so grateful for the internet.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand|1344265735|3246796 said:
I picked up my wedding dress yesterday. It is so huge! I still love it but WOW is it a ballgown. I spent most of last night researching how to go to the bathroom in a wedding dress. LOL. I'm so grateful for the internet.

Yay for getting the dress! I definitely lol'd when I read the part about checking on how to use the bathroom! Too funny!! :lol:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up my dress on Friday!! I love love love love LOVE it!!!!! I was getting anxious that I wouldn't love it anymore, that I made too quick of a decision, and that I'd regret my choice. Went to pick it up and got to try it on again, and whew, I love it just as much and maybe even more than I did when I picked it out! Relief!

We also made a final decision on a photographer last week, so that's exciting! :appl:

blacksand- Yay for your dress!!

Stacy- Lol, the other day my FI was like "can we talk about something other than the wedding? That's all we ever talk about anymore." It's true, and I felt bad, but I'm sitting here wondering how people who have larger weddings do it! Ours is going to be super small and intimate and there's STILL so much to do!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Going to the bathroom in a ballgown=serious business! It takes some maneuvering! I'm just so glad other people on the internet are talking about it, too. I love that I can google absolutely anything these days!

star sparkle, we just booked our photographer last week, too (in addition to picking up the dress)! I think you and I are on the same schedule. Congrats on the dress and the photographer. Doesn't it feel to check things off the list?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Star I totally think that it is natural to think you'll change your mind on the dress...that feeling is in my head now. I just keep telling myself how fabulous I felt in it! Oh and I think I'm going crazy with wedding stuff! Yesterday we nailed down some menu decisions and I felt FABULOUS about setting it in stone. Then a bit later I was talking about how its been such a back and forth with myself and both of our mothers and he's all 'yeah, Dad and I were talking about how women can just be so dramatic about the little things'...so I'm like 'wait, I'm being dramatic? how am I dramatic? Seriously, I blame our mothers. I don't want to be dramatic about these things..am I really?!' Then I got a 'babe' :-o :rolleyes: lmao...opps! I've decided that it really is both of our mothers! bahaha..poor FI though! We really just can't wait to marry each other, but all these damn decisions are driving us both bonkers!

Yay for booking photographers! I LOVE ours! I'm in the process of trying to find a videographer for cheap. We shall see.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand- Ooof, I hadn't even given any thought to how to go to the bathroom in my dress. Mine isn't a ballgown so I shouldn't have as difficult of a time as you will, but still! Haha, maybe I can just hold it? Our whole wedding + reception is probably only going to last 4 hours tops, so maybe if I go right before I put the dress on I'll be fine?

Re: checking things off the list, yes, it's FABULOUS! I showed FI the checklist thing on TheKnot, and now he asks me every couple of days if we can check off anything new. :lol:

Stacy- Do you get your dress soon? Mine came in much quicker than I was expecting, it only took a month! So luckily I didn't have TOO much time to fret about it. Now I'm really anxious about alterations because I'm weirdly shaped (huge bust, small waist), and they ordered my dress for me in the size to fit my waist/midsection. Well because of this, it's really tight on top and causes boob spillage, but they assured me that wouldn't be a problem to fix because my dress has a corset back and the modesty panel can easily be moved over to accomadate my chest. They also said that would be a better/easier fix than buying a larger size to fit my bust and doing the alterations to take the entire bodice in to fit my waist. I let them talk me into it, but of course now I'm freaking out about it and wondering if I shouldn't have listened to them?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
That is too cute! I love that he wants to check things off! :appl:

My dress was actually ordered and paid for back in January (I actually got it after he told me he planned to propose this year and that he also wanted to get married this year, but before we officially got engaged..a bit backwards lol). I ordered it online, loved it and think its even better in person! I didn't get to do that whole try on multiple dresses thing, which I think was good for me..I would have been so overwhelmed lol..It's a beauty though. I'm taking it to a seamstress this weekend to take about a foot off the bottom (apparently the women are uber tall in the UK), but the dress fits perfectly otherwise. It has some ruching and beading, but nothing crazy and not too much of a princess dress, BUT I think he'll love me in it and I feel damn good in it lol

When is your big day? Ours is 09/22/12..46 days to go. Holy crap!!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1344018356|3245467 said:
Is there a pill or something that can take the craziness away? Goodness, gracious! All I think is wedding!

I think you're brain will be racing with thoughts of wedding until the very day! Unfortunately! :wink2: I kept having wedding dreams and nightmares. Most of the time I was just trying to finish tedious tasks in the dreams and it gave me restless sleep. I think I slept no more than 5 hours at a time in the weeks leading up to the wedding.

When people tell you not to sweat the little things they are totally right lol! Two small things that would have seemed like the end of the world before the wedding that didn't go right the day of for me were: My grandpa's vest and tie were supposed to be black like the dads but for some reason he was put in the same color as the groomsmen...honestly I didn't even notice the day of the wedding, but looking back at pictures I noticed that he was in the wrong color! Also one of the flower girls had ripped her decorative flower off of her dress and she didn't match the other FG. There wasn't anything I could do about it. Her mom didn't have the flower for me to put on, so I just didn't make a big deal out of it and the pictures are JUST FINE :D

I'm still waiting on pro pics. I feel like this is taking forever!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand|1344276599|3246893 said:
Going to the bathroom in a ballgown=serious business! It takes some maneuvering! I'm just so glad other people on the internet are talking about it, too. I love that I can google absolutely anything these days!

I only went to the bathroom twice in my dress! Once between pictures and the ceremony (we did pictures beforehand) and once right before our grand entrance after the girls bustled my dress. I was trying to drink a lot of water, but I still may have been a little on the dehydrated side. Not such a bad thing if you are trying to limit the number of trips to the bathroom! By the end of the reception I had to go really bad, but I waited until I got home and out of the dress.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
gem_anemone|1344338284|3247264 said:
StacylikesSparkles|1344018356|3245467 said:

I think you're brain will be racing with thoughts of wedding until the very day! Unfortunately! :wink2: I kept having wedding dreams and nightmares. Most of the time I was just trying to finish tedious tasks in the dreams and it gave me restless sleep. I think I slept no more than 5 hours at a time in the weeks leading up to the wedding.

When people tell you not to sweat the little things they are totally right lol! Two small things that would have seemed like the end of the world before the wedding that didn't go right the day of for me were: My grandpa's vest and tie were supposed to be black like the dads but for some reason he was put in the same color as the groomsmen...honestly I didn't even notice the day of the wedding, but looking back at pictures I noticed that he was in the wrong color! Also one of the flower girls had ripped her decorative flower off of her dress and she didn't match the other FG. There wasn't anything I could do about it. Her mom didn't have the flower for me to put on, so I just didn't make a big deal out of it and the pictures are JUST FINE :D

I'm still waiting on pro pics. I feel like this is taking forever!

FI and I were talking about this last night and how we are definitely just ready to be married so the only decisions we'll be making will be about house stuff :) 46 days to go!!

I'm not too worried about the small stuff (thank goodness) but I think our mothers are lol. I'm having my Dad and Granddaddy both walk me down the aisle (the two first men I could always count on) and I'm letting SIL pick the outfit for our niece, the flower girl. I don't think Daddy and Granddaddy will match, but who cares, as long as they look nice lol...thank goodness you didn't stress out about the little details going awry. And thank goodness it was only small things to begin with!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1344337392|3247251 said:
When is your big day? Ours is 09/22/12..46 days to go. Holy crap!!

Wow, you're SO CLOSE!!! :appl: You must be so excited!!

Our day is 2/2/13. Less than 6 months away!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I can't believe how quickly the time has passed. gem_anemone is already a married lady, StacylikesSparkles, your wedding is coming up in a matter of days, and February is 6 months away! What?!?! I was so surprised when I went to pick up my dress on Sunday. The woman helping me asked when the wedding is, and I told her December 22nd. I have said this many times before, and the response has always been "Oh good, so you still have time!" But on Sunday, upon hearing that my wedding is in December, the response was "Oh, so it's coming up soon!" I was so surprised to hear that! I keep thinking I have lots of time. We've been engaged for almost 1.5 years, so there has never been a huge rush to get everything planned. Now I feel like I really have to get on the ball. So scary!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
star sparkle|1344358741|3247398 said:
Wow, you're SO CLOSE!!! :appl: You must be so excited!!

Our day is 2/2/13. Less than 6 months away!

blacksand|1344360011|3247410 said:
I can't believe how quickly the time has passed. gem_anemone is already a married lady, StacylikesSparkles, your wedding is coming up in a matter of days, and February is 6 months away! What?!?!

Ladies, it is NUTS that I'm getting married so quickly! Time is passing by at warp speed! I remember talking about it being 100 days and that feels like last week lol...I have a TON to do, but everything seems to be coming together quick nicely. I say this and when I get home I'll be thinking of doing a dozen more things that I wasn't originally planning on.

Yay for December 22 and February 2nd (My parents anniversary, by the way!)...It will be here before you know it!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to just hit the pause button for a bit; I need more time to regroup and figure things out. We still don't know for sure where our ceremony is going to take place nor who will officiate (long story, religious complications), and we probably won't know until a month or two before the wedding. This is driving me absolutely insane. I need more time!

But, on the other hand, I want to get married TODAY.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand|1344521913|3248467 said:
I would like to just hit the pause button for a bit; I need more time to regroup and figure things out. We still don't know for sure where our ceremony is going to take place nor who will officiate (long story, religious complications), and we probably won't know until a month or two before the wedding. This is driving me absolutely insane. I need more time!

But, on the other hand, I want to get married TODAY.

HUGS!!! Deep breath, and let it out slowly.

I know exactly how you feel. Our engagement is on the shorter side (7 months), so I feel kind of stressed and whatnot since the planning time isn't very long. Then I sit back and realize that my wedding planning really isn't *that* stressful, considering we're having such a small event and I shouldn't be such a drama queen. It's so overwhelming sometimes, though, because there's so much that needs doing. You'll get through this!!

Also, I can understand how you're going insane with the not knowing aspect of certain parts of your wedding. For us, we currently both live in separate apartments (well, in reality we pretty much live together because we rarely spend a night apart, but we have two places) and we will be moving into a new place together once we get married. Neither of us want to move in to the other's apartment, so we have the joys of finding a new place and moving right before the wedding. This is something I want to start planning for NOW, but it's not really possible because the rental market is going to be so different in 5 months when we're ready to move than it is now. We're both stuck in leases until a couple days after the wedding and the penalties for breaking a lease here are significant, so the earliest we can move is early January. :errrr:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1344363555|3247445 said:
Ladies, it is NUTS that I'm getting married so quickly! Time is passing by at warp speed! I remember talking about it being 100 days and that feels like last week lol...I have a TON to do, but everything seems to be coming together quick nicely. I say this and when I get home I'll be thinking of doing a dozen more things that I wasn't originally planning on.

Yay for December 22 and February 2nd (My parents anniversary, by the way!)...It will be here before you know it!

I sure hope so!! I want planning to be done and the wedding to be here already. Now I can understand why some people hire wedding planners! :lol:

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
BlackJade...I feel you on the pause button! Oh my goodness! I would love to just hold up a bit so we don't have to rush or be frantic about anything.

Star...we are doing our wedding within 9 months of getting engaged, so everything is at top speed. That said, I think it's a lot less complicated than many other weddings (until you involve the Mother's lol), so I'm just thankful that I don't want anything crazy! So sorry to hear you're going to have to do apartment hunting/moving and wedding all at once! Scheesh!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Apartment hunting while wedding planning is nuts (we had a hard enough time while not planning a wedding, and I ended up just paying the massive fees and breaking my lease, because we ran out of options). We are just hoping we won't be in the same boat now. Our landlords want to sell the house we are renting, and our lease is up December 1st (just before the wedding). We REALLY want to buy the house, but just not right now, yikes! So we are trying to work something out with the landlord, maybe a rent-to-own contract or something, just let us stay a little longer and then after the wedding we can apply for a mortgage and see how it goes. Yay added stress! The landlord does seem sympathetic, so hopefully we won't be kicked out just before our wedding, but you never know. Did I mention that FI got laid off? And that I had planned to go down to half time at my job and go back to school in January? Perfect time to apply for a mortgage, right?

I think it's easier to focus on the wedding details than this stuff! Good luck with your apartment search, star sparkle, and to all you brides with wedding planning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results