shape
carat
color
clarity

Necklace for my wife - Budget is ~5K - Help/Advice.

philstersf

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone - This is my first post, I have been spending the past few hours reading up on pearls and stumbled upon this forum. Thanks to everyone in advanced for their experience and input.

I am in the market for some pearls - My initial thought was to buy Mikimotos but after reading many many articles it seems that is not the right way to go since I'll be paying for the brand more than the pearls. I would like to get something that is basically top of food chain in terms of quality and she can hand down to our daughters in the future. I set a budget of 5K but there is some flexibility with this number.

My current thinking:
- Type of Pearl: Akoya (This seems to be the classic pearl, with the best chance of getting a heirloom strand to hand down, luster is the highest, i also like the pinkish overtones) or South Sea (I love the color of these as well but have not read as much on them as the Akoya).
- Quality - Highest quality (is that AAA?) - is there something like GIA for pearls? the price ranges seem so wide between dealers
- Shape: perfectly round
- Length - 18 inches
- Size: For the Akoya it seems like 7.5mm is a sweet spot but for the South Sea pearls it looks like 10mm

After i hone in on what I'm looking for, I need to find a place to buy them from:
Who are reputable dealers - Seems to recommend Pearl Paradise as a reputable dealer? Others?

Last thing, on the quality front - regarding the Hanadama certification lab in japan I read some other forums that mentioned this type of certification is not reliable.

Thanks again for your help.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I've bought from Pearl Paradise. akoya AAA are beautiful but if you are looking for mikimoto quality in terms of luster, uniform in color & size, shine, with your budget, I'd suggest you go for their hanadama.

I have not seen the hanadama in person but from their customer feedback and from the photos that I've received, it is definitely above akoya AAA. whether it is comparable to miki's i can't comment.

I also have SS pearls. THey are certainly big and lovely but they don't shine the same way Akoyas do. I prefer mirror shine so i have preference for Akoyas. Do you know what kind of shine your wife likes? size? length?

Hope this helps.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think Akoya have a different type of sheen than freshwater, regardless of the quality of freshwater. The freshwater, to me, look a little more milky, while the Akoya luster seems a bit sharper. In contrast, South Seas is more like a soft, satin look. They are hard to describe or even see on the internet, it's best to see them in person. I guess to compare the surface, if you magnify Akoya and freshwater hugely, the Akoya give the impression of brushed stainless steel, while the freshwater are like sterling silver. Akoya just seems to have more texture in my mind.

If you are going to get Akoya, and have that kind of budget, just buy Mikimoto;

http://www.mikimotoamerica.com/categories/strands.html

I have a strand of theirs, in AA, and it is virtually blemish-free and very beautiful. I also have AAA earrings of theirs, and those are just amazing. The luster is definitely shinier, and they are spotless. But white pearls are so ordinary, I don't wear them often, and tend to wear my goldens instead.

Jose has some nice Akoya, the cost savings is enormous, and his return policy is generous, so you could give him a try.
http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/akoya-pearl-necklace/akoya-pearl-necklace-anrs.htm

But if I had that kind of budget, I would buy these from Jose: http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/light-tahitian-pearl-necklace-with-12mm-13mm-pearls-tnbx.htm They look glorious. :cheeky: Buy his Akoya too, and kill two birds with one budget. ;-) If it helps, Jose has completed the GIA course in pearls. You can always call him up to pick his brain . . .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results