shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1343340800|3240842 said:
Question in picture #1 posted by Sunshine of Princess Alexandria's wedding, maybe it is the hairstyle, but is this a different fringe tiara from the one QEII wore? I realize this was at one time a very popular design.

It's a different one. The fringe tiara that Princess Elizabeth wore was made for Queen Mary in 1919. The fringe that Princess Alexandra wore was a wedding present to Princess Marina from the Cooperation of City of London and was made in the late XIX century. It is now in Princess Michael's possession.
Although both show a very popular design, there are obvious differences when both are shown side by side. What's more the latter dosn't covert to necklace ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1343272424|3240254 said:
Well I don't know much about her jewelry, but I would be glad to share some pictures and the little information that I do know. Please feel free to correct me, and/or to add on, as always. ;-)

Thanks :) This draws a general outline of what Princess Alexandra has worn over the years in terms of jewels. I shall mention that the simple diamond and pearl drop necklace and the beautiful large pearl and diamond pendant brooch haven't been seen in ages and probably have been sold long ago. They were what HRH wore as young girl at important events (f.e. the necklace at the 1953 Coronation).

Among Princess Alexandra's more important jewels are a sapphire necklace, a pearl and diamond choker, emerald/diamond drop/ruby and sapphire earrings. HRH also was a short diamond riviere and a 4-row pearl choker with a large detachable emerald and diamond centerpiece with pendant. This is one of the few jewels she inherited from her mother.

Just not to forget - the pearls in the clover necklace can be replaced by turquoises, as can be the pearls in the tiara (in addition to sapphires, to match the necklace).

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Aw, it's too bad that the pearl and diamond necklace and brooch are probably sold. :(( They are such lovely pieces and I would have loved to see them worn out in public again.

More pictures:

picture1-3.jpg

alexandrakentyoung.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the prompt response to my questions, I thought the fringe tiaras were different. Also in the new pictures posted, what is Princess Alexandra wearing in her hair? Is that a star tiara or hair pins? Very interesting have never seen that before.

Also as a side note the forum was down for a while, does anyone know what happened? A great deal of work has been put into this forum it would be ashamed if it was deleted. Thanks

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Also does anyone know anything about the ear rings Catherine wore to the opening ceremony? They are dangles with what appears to be large hoops that sparkle? Costume? Real?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, a fun video!! Sorry to go off-subject but had to share this. Just happened upon it on a blog.

Queen Elizabeth giving a tour of the Imperial State Crown
http://rosecestlavie.blogspot.com/2009/11/tiara-time.html

Scroll down about 2 inches -- video is on the left beneath the photo of HM in the State Carriage. She isn't spot on regarding all details -- calls it the Black Prince's Ruby, for instance, but it is neat to see.

--- Laurie

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
laurensmama|1343428016|3241615 said:
Also does anyone know anything about the ear rings Catherine wore to the opening ceremony? They are dangles with what appears to be large hoops that sparkle? Costume? Real?

I think that they are aquamarines with diamonds, possibly a custom Kiki McDonough (The same jewelry designer as her citrine drop earrings).

P.S. The Queen looked very nice in her blue and pink outfits!

581263_444370208919135_1756029133_n.jpg

article-2179920-143f9a14000005dc-395_964x633.jpg

d7a9cd14a1d96368_149362866_10_xxxlarge.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Actually they are blue topaz with diamonds and they are by Kiki McDonough, a custom piece. I think she also wore them to the Diamond Jubilee Concert.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
HM's jewelry at the Opening Ceremony was quite sparkley! She wore one of Queen Mary's diamond collet necklaces, Queen Mary's earrings/ or Queen Victoria's diamond stud earrings, and one of Queen Adelaide's diamond brooches (known as the King William IV brooch).

I can't read the text on the pictures, sorry!

P.S. I hope everyone is alright, many of you haven't posted in a few days.

_361.jpg

_362.jpg

259791-1225291707.jpg

_363.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1343606960|3242695 said:
HM's jewelry at the Opening Ceremony was quite sparkley! She wore one of Queen Mary's diamond collet necklaces, Queen Mary's earrings/ or Queen Victoria's diamond stud earrings, and one of Queen Adelaide's diamond brooches (known as the King William IV brooch).

I can't read the text on the pictures, sorry!

P.S. I hope everyone is alright, many of you haven't posted in a few days.

I think they are Queen Mary's cluster earrings. Queen Victoria's are smaller, maybe the size of the central stone in Queen Mary's.
When Duchess of Edinburgh, The Queen wore a small diamond riviere and I wonder if this might be the same one?
It was nice to see Queen Adelaide's brooch after a gap between its last outing and the opening ceremony.

PS: I don't think we have to worry much about the other posters. It's summer time and they (like the royals) might be holidaying somewhere. Also, there there hasn't been anything interesting happening with royal jewels lately ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1343440916|3241755 said:
laurensmama|1343428016|3241615 said:

I think that they are aquamarines with diamonds, possibly a custom Kiki McDonough (The same jewelry designer as her citrine drop earrings).

The Duchess wore the earrings at The UK's Creative Industries Reception at the Royal Academy of Arts (Close-up). You can see the rest of the gallery (and HRH's great chignon :love: ) here - Link

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today would've been Queen Elizabeth's 112th birthday! Her late Majesty remains missed by many people from all over the World... May she rest in peace...
twoqueens.jpg
queen_elizabeth_the_queen_mother_portrait_1986.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Do you remember our brief discussion on Queen Mary's pearl and diamond honeycomb choker/pair of bracelets? Here is a photo of Queen Marie of Romania (as Crown Princess?) wearing a very similar jewel. Obviously a popular design, at least in the British Royal Family:
chockemissypn1.jpg

I wonder what happened to this jewel - send to Russia with other items from Missy's collection, broken, left to Prince Nicholas... I wish we knew...

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

We are really enjoying the Olympics so have not been on recently. However, it was reported that Catherine wore a pair of pearl dangle ear rings today. Has anyone seen a picture of them? If so could you please post it (if not previously seen) or refer back to them if they are an old pair. That is all of the description I have. Thanks

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the lovely links, and photos of the Queen Mum. :)

Catherine's chingnon really suits her and I think that she should wear her hair in this style more often. The base hoop of her earrings looks similar to her pale green amythest earrings/ blue topaz ring earrings. I wonder if it is a new pair, or if the drops are interchangeable? It would be nice it they were interchangeable, HRH would probably get more use out of them, and it would probably be less expensive to just buy the drops instead of a whole new pair of earrings, not that the cost is a problem!

P.S.Honeycomb jewelry was quite a popular design back in its day. Do we know if any other Royal houses have/had similar designs, other than the British and Russian?

article-2078446-0f4580f100000578-35_634x545.jpg

article-2181199-144c277c000005dc-107_634x557.jpg

tumblr_m8aclygiez1r0e0igo1_400.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1344222339|3246628 said:
Thank you for the lovely links, and photos of the Queen Mum. :)

[...]

P.S.Honeycomb jewelry was quite a popular design back in its day. Do we know if any other Royal houses have/had similar designs, other than the British and Russian?

You're welcome, sunshine!

The Dutch royal family owns a honeycomb necklace and bracelet, though they are of slightly different design. They (at least the necklace) can be worn with diamonds, sapphires or pearls in the middle row. These days only the all diamond version of the necklace is worn (f.e. Princess Maxima at The Prince of Wales' 60th birthday and Princess Margriet at the Prince of Orange's 40th birthday)

PS: I think you're right about the diamond hoops being the ones from the green amethyst earrings ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
There's something about this photo (used on the cover of the book Princesses of Greece) that's been puzzling me for some time now. Do you think that The Duchess of Kent might've loaned her sapphire and diamond clips to her sister Olga (R) along with the large pear-shaped pearl earrings? Or maybe she had a pair of her own?
livreprincesse.jpg

On another note, do you know of more photos of the third sister, Elizabeth, Grafin von Toerring-Jettenbach, wearing lots of jewels? Any photos from galas, portraits?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And something else that's been puzzling be even more... We know that Princess Elena of Greece & Denmark (nee Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia) didn't own a lot of jewels. She had her mother's fringe tiara and a Cartier kokoshnik, also an emerald bandeau. HI&RH also owned the pearl and diamond serpent bandeau that went to Princess Marina as wedding present. The Vladimir tiara and a necklace of 28 large collets were sold to Queen Mary and it is believed that Queen Olga's ruby parure (the one that is worn by Queen Anna Maria) was in her possession.
Looking at this photo from a very glittering affair (a Greek one, I believe), I do wonder what she wore on her head. We know that by that time the rubies, the kokoshnik, the fringe and the serpent bandeau (along with some other of her jewels) were with her daughters. Do you think Princess Olga might have lent her mother the ruby parure, or Princess Elizabeth the fringe tiara? Of course, appearing without a tiara is out of question. Just remember who she was...
paobal.jpg

PS: Any guesses what the event was? Prince George, Duke of Kent was present, so this must've taken place before 1942. Was it, pearhps a gala to celebrate the marriage of the future King Pavlos to Princess Frederika of Hanover?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A rare photo of Queen Ana Maria wearing Queen Victoria's diamond and pearl drop earrings and the diamond cross which she received as wedding present. The photograph is from the christening of Prince Nikolaos in Rome. Can anybody remind me if the cross came from the Greek or the Danish royal family? I know that Queen Frederike wore a similar one.

christening_prince_nikolaos.jpg

Bobby

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Bobby, I actually focused on the earrings from your christening picture and it took me hours today to track them down. I've been to website after website after website, but I really should have gone to my handy-dandy, Order of Splendor website.

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/09/tiara-thursday-antique-corsage-tiara.html

The earrings are of Danish inheritance via Ingrid.

On to confirming my suspicions on the diamond cross....

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Good work BB! :appl: Is that the diamond cross that the bride is wearing?

I have tried to research a little bit, but have come up with nothing that we didn't previously know. I'll try to look up some information about the Royal Greek event.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hey BB, I love these old pictures. Who is the bride and what tiara is she wearing? My picture is not clear even when I enlarge it. Thanks.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
sunshine996|1344738504|3249987 said:
Good work BB! :appl: Is that the diamond cross that the bride is wearing?

Thanks, sunshine.

The link I provided discusses an "antique corsage tiara" - a reworking of the set of jewelry the earrings belong to which included brooches, a stomacher, and earrings.

Here's a photo of the stomacher, at least.

corsage_stomacher.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
laurensmama|1344794749|3250233 said:
Hey BB, I love these old pictures. Who is the bride and what tiara is she wearing? My picture is not clear even when I enlarge it. Thanks.

That is the future Queen Frederica (Frederike) of the Hellenes at her marriage to the future King Pavlos in 1938. Doesn't she look sweet!

peasypeas

Rough_Rock
Re:

LadyAmythyst69|1194222831|1102541 said:
And since I mentioned it - The Lover''s Knot Tiara. Shame we won''t see it anymore. I think it''s so beautiful and romantic. It was perfect for Diana!

this is my favorite that she wore
and I think we can all agree that we need stomachers.... :love:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes! We DO need stomachers. Queen Mary's is my favorite, one of the most beautiful pieces of all time, imho. I'd love to see it worn on a plain dark-colored dress to highlight its gorgeousness.

article-2139837-12eb91f0000005dc-992_306x524.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results