shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Paradise website down for the last... three days?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey guys,

I wanted to see if anyone else noticed that the Pearl Paradise website has been out of operation for the last couple of days. Has this ever happened before? I wonder what's keeping them offline for so long.

And I just got bitten by the pearl bug, too! What a trial for my patience. :???: I can't even browse the earrings section, which is what I'm really interested in. Do you guys know if they're likely to have nice pear-shaped dangly earrings?

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed that they're down, too. So frustrating because I'm interested in making a purchase as well...

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have a message posted about server maintenance. I know they're open though because I've received responses to my emails.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed Jeremy Shephard and he said they were having host problems. Now the server has crashed. They hope to be back running Monday.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the responses! I'll wait till Monday. What a curious occurrence though, I don't think I've ever seen this before on any other site. Hopefully the wait will be worth it! :naughty:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl Paradise can make you anything you can dream up. If you have a type, color and size in mind that would be helpful. Their customer service and custom work is great. What kind of pearl are you looking for?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1342308574|3234022 said:
Pearl Paradise can make you anything you can dream up. If you have a type, color and size in mind that would be helpful. Their customer service and custom work is great. What kind of pearl are you looking for?

Sigh, I am so confused about this supposed great service. Their customer service reps do not seem to want to work with me nor my husband. My husband keeps saying, they have pearls, we have money. What's the problem? Haha.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NacreLover, thanks for asking! I'm dreaming up pearl earrings for my wedding. I am pretty set on a pear shape, and a simple dangly design with gold. I know simple round studs are more classic, but I don't really like to wear studs.

I went to a local weekend market today and got a pair of freshwater pearls that are close in shape and size to my vision. They were $12 for the pair. I could just use these, I suppose. But since I'll be investing in gold for the settings, I thought it might be better to get nicer pearls, so I can enjoy this set for years to come. That said, I have no idea whether nicer pearls would be so much different from these cheap freshwaters, will anybody be able to tell, in the pear shape? Advice very welcome!

I'll also attach a pic of a setting I really like. I think I found this pic on the sacksfifthavenue site while browsing google shopping results.

Icekid -- What has your negative experience been? Are you looking for something really exotic?

img_4569_-_copy.jpg

sacksfifthavenue__75_set__nice_overall_look__this_could_work.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
[quote="GemFever|1342310865|

Icekid -- What has your negative experience been? Are you looking for something really exotic?[/quote]

Not at all! Just a nice round Tahitian strand. They just do not seem interested in my business (thus my hubby tried again for me!) I do have a freshadama strand from 5 years back, which are nice I suppose, but my husband purchased them directly from the website without contacting anyone prior to the purchase.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1342310865|3234042 said:
[I went to a local weekend market today and got a pair of freshwater pearls that are close in shape and size to my vision. They were $12 for the pair. I could just use these, I suppose. But since I'll be investing in gold for the settings, I thought it might be better to get nicer pearls, so I can enjoy this set for years to come. That said, I have no idea whether nicer pearls would be so much different from these cheap freshwaters, will anybody be able to tell, in the pear shape? Advice very welcome!

IMHO, most people would not be able to tell the difference and it's really more for yourself. If you're only buying one pair and going to wear them a lot, I'd say spend more but I'm more of a "cost per wear" person. The advantages of cheap fw pearls is that you don't have to worry about maintenance, i.e. taking them off at night or in shower, using hairspray and perfume, etc. Are you set on perfectly oval pearls or ok with baroque shapes?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icekid|1342313692|3234066 said:
Not at all! Just a nice round Tahitian strand. They just do not seem interested in my business (thus my hubby tried again for me!) I do have a freshadama strand from 5 years back, which are nice I suppose, but my husband purchased them directly from the website without contacting anyone prior to the purchase.

There are other vendors that you can take your business to with nice selection of tahitians. What's your budget? I've been loving this one http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/off_round_tahitian_pearl_necklace_tnpa.htm but not really in the budget right now.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Baby Monster, thanks for your input. Perhaps you are right, and I should just stick with these... I do like the shape a lot. They're more pear-shaped than oval, and I really like that. And big enough. But I do plan to wear them a lot, and I'll be putting money into a custom setting. I guess I'll see what PP has to offer when they are back online, and how expensive nicer pearls will be. As for shapes, I want a pretty clear pear-shape, not too much baroquiness this time around.

Also a good point on not worrying too much about cheaper fw pearls. Like when my kitten decides that my strand is just so perfect to chew on . ::)

img_4539_-_copy.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
IceKid, You called Pearl Paradise and asked to buy a nice Tahitian strand and you couldn't get anyone to sell you one? That story is hard to believe. I have purchased many items there and have never had a problem. I would like to hear more about this.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Gemfever, Congrats on your upcoming wedding. Those smooth drops are really pretty. The price was great too. I recently had some earrings created at PP and they have many styles of settings to choose from. I am willing to bet you could use those pearls and be happy with the outcome, otherwise, you could upgrade to SS pearl drops if you want to kick it up a notch. Either way, contact them when you have time and ask for some photos to consider. Custom is real easy and their photos make buying a breeze.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks NacreLover. I'll see what PP has when they're back online. Very much looking forward to it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1342318243|3234096 said:
IceKid, You called Pearl Paradise and asked to buy a nice Tahitian strand and you couldn't get anyone to sell you one? That story is hard to believe. I have purchased many items there and have never had a problem. I would like to hear more about this.

Haha, I agree it sounds bizarre. Actually, they just did not return my follow-up email. I had questions and was considering a few options. I'm not particularly interested in spending what little free time I have chasing people around. My preference is to communicate via email vs phone, as I work. A lot, and often. On the other hand, my husband DID call them (again with questions and ideas) and it was difficult to get them to follow-up. Perhaps they respond better to phone calls? I have no idea, but have found it confusing.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1342316796|3234083 said:

There are other vendors that you can take your business to with nice selection of tahitians. What's your budget? I've been loving this one http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/off_round_tahitian_pearl_necklace_tnpa.htm but not really in the budget right now.

Actually, I have been contemplating this strand! My budget for a single color strand (if I can find someone to sell me one :cheeky: ) is quite a bit higher than this. But a multi-color strand seem to be more in the fun/casual line of things and this one might fit the bill!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They're baaack!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icekid|1342389080|3234456 said:
baby monster|1342316796|3234083 said:

Actually, I have been contemplating this strand! My budget for a single color strand (if I can find someone to sell me one :cheeky: ) is quite a bit higher than this. But a multi-color strand seem to be more in the fun/casual line of things and this one might fit the bill!

It's a different look but I do find that I get a lot of wear out of my multicolor fw strand. It goes with lots of clothing and is less stuffy looking than perfectly color matched round pearls. I would love to have a multicolor tahitian strand a la Pelosi. Hope you find your perfect strand!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1342317855|3234093 said:
Also a good point on not worrying too much about cheaper fw pearls. Like when my kitten decides that my strand is just so perfect to chew on . ::)

Totally off topic - there aren't enough words to describe the cuteness of this pic! :bigsmile:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Yssie! She gets away with a lot because of those cute white paws. ::)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Update on my PP watch: got some findings for my drop pearls from them, and got a freshdama necklace. Just to see what a high-quality pearl necklace looks like, and if I'll feel it's worth the price, and whether it really outshines my simple freshwaters. I expect to be wowed. :sun:

mimB

Shiny_Rock
I hope you come back with pictures and your conclusions on which you like best!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your adorable kitty picture reminds me of the story about Elizabeth Taylor and her puppy, who chewed on la peregrina. :D

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lady Disdain: yup, I read that story somewhere here and remembered it when my kitty started chewing. She has good taste though -- my earrings are a favorite. One night I woke up to her gnawing on my engagement ring (I should have taken it off, I know!). She's so cute though ::) I think she's still teething. Is that possible, at around 6 months?

On pearl-related stuff, I got my PP package today! The earring findings are lovely, I'm going to use them with the pearls I already have. The caps are a tad too big (made for a round, I guess, not for the elongated narrow shape of a drop), but that's not a big deal. I'm not that perfectionist. Now gotta find some instructions for gluing them in, and some good glue.

The freshdamas... mixed feelings. On the one hand, they are overwhelmingly pretty. I was looking at the pearls and caught sight of my ering, and I thought -- meh, diamond... doesn't have the OOMPH of a shiny pearl! They are beautiful and very noticeable.

On the other hand, it's not like the luster difference with my regular freshwaters is night and day. There *is* a difference, of course. Freshdamas are more intense. But I think simple freshwaters can stand their ground too, esp since I can triple the strand.

Still, the bottom line is that I will probably keep them. And wear them on my wedding day :))

And pics! (the dark strand my mom brought for me from China, they are not as intensely dark IRL, but the camera saturated them for some reason)

img_4616.jpg

img_4618.jpg

img_4633.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And a neck shot (sorry, i didn't dress up for it) --

img_4634.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1343154740|3239161 said:
And a neck shot (sorry, i didn't dress up for it) --

The pearls look great on you and I do see a difference between freshadama and regular fw strand. How big of a difference is in the eye of the beholder :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results