shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needing advice on a J coloured stone!

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Hi! :wavey:

I'm new here, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks though learning from you clever people :)

My partner and I are looking for a diamond for an engagement ring. Ideally I want half a carat and (of course like most others here!) want to get the best deal possible.

I think I have found a suitable diamond. It is 0.43carats but its measurements are 4.98-5.05x2.97mm which I believe is closer to the dimensions of a half carat stone? It is GIA certified, here are the other bits of information. It is a Round Brilliant stone.
Colour: J
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Very Good
Depth: 59.2%
Table: 57%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish:Very good
Girdle:T-M
Fluorescence: Faint (am I correct in thinking this will make it look whiter?)
Culet: none

Does this sound like a decent diamond? I'm not worried about having an absolute ice-white snowflake on my finger, but would like it to appear more white than yellow. It will be purchased online, in my area a similar stone would be twice the price!

I'd really value your opinions :)

Thankyou!!
EDIT: I forgot to mention that it would be in a yellow gold ring with 4 white gold prongs

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
"Very good" diamonds are not usually recommended over diamonds which are graded "ideal" without more information.

How much were you planning to spend on the stone if you don't mind sharing? Do you already have a setting? There are people here who can help you find something within your budget given your preferences in cut/colour etc :).

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Venti25|1342798295|3237216 said:
"Very good" diamonds are not usually recommended over diamonds which are graded "ideal" without more information.

How much were you planning to spend on the stone if you don't mind sharing? Do you already have a setting? There are people here who can help you find something within your budget given your preferences in cut/colour etc :).

Hi!

Thanks for replying so quickly. We don't have the setting yet although I have seen a setting I like on http://www.diamondrocks.co.uk/Diamond+Engagement+Rings/Design+Your+Own+Ring.htm?step=2&shape=Round who also sell loose diamonds - would like to buy together! We were trying to spend less than £1000GBP (around $1550USD) although ideally around £900 for the setting and diamond. I know this is a small budget compared with some, but its a sensible budget for our situation :)

Thanks again

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Sorry to post again, does that mean that a "very good" cut is significantly less likely to be OK if bought online?

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
Laethia|1342808568|3237329 said:
Sorry to post again, does that mean that a "very good" cut is significantly less likely to be OK if bought online?

Yes, whether bought online or anywhere else. Stick with Excellent cut as that is the most important "C" and compromise on the others (carat, clarity, color). Additionally, run any contenders through the HCA calculator: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca.. Reject stones greater than 2.0 and get IS images for stones less than 2.0. This will ensure you get the most bang for your pound. :razz:

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your replies! I'm learning so much and really enjoying it. I figured out how to get the certificate for pavilion and crown angles etc...don't ask me how I'd managed to miss it !!

My boyfriend ordered the diamond before I made the post apparently...really hoping its ok!

So, some additional info:
Girdle: Thin - medium faceted (3.5%)
Crown angle: 27
Pavilion angle: 42
Clarity characteristics: Feather

I entered these details into the HCA ( great calculator!! Thanks!) and it said: "Low crown angle can result in chipping of the girdle. Should not be considered for purchase."

However, playing with the tool, if i increased the crown angle to 27.9 then the diamond had a score of 1.9. I know this is a fairly big angle difference, but is the diamond really at a big danger of chipping? I don't lead a very active lifestyle, but I guess thats not to say I won't in the future with kids etc!

If the diamond isn't ok, it can be exchanged for another one...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts if you would be so kind!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
And to answer your original question about color...

Not all "J's" are created equal, but in my opinion, it can be a wonderful choice!!
I have a J colored stone and I love it! I just posted some pictures of it on another thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-please.177589/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-please.177589/[/URL]
Scroll down, mine is like the 22nd post.

My J looks bright white in the sunlight and slightly "vanilla" in some other lightings, but it never looks yellow. I actually prefer a tiny bit of warmth because it looks more "real" to me. Sometimes the icy-white diamonds look fake, to me. (Just my opinion!)
I hope you will love what you ordered!!

Good luck!

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Dougsgirl, that ring is gorgeous!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laethia|1342987877|3238224 said:
Thanks so much for your replies! I'm learning so much and really enjoying it. I figured out how to get the certificate for pavilion and crown angles etc...don't ask me how I'd managed to miss it !!

My boyfriend ordered the diamond before I made the post apparently...really hoping its ok!

So, some additional info:
Girdle: Thin - medium faceted (3.5%)
Crown angle: 27
Pavilion angle: 42
Clarity characteristics: Feather

I entered these details into the HCA ( great calculator!! Thanks!) and it said: "Low crown angle can result in chipping of the girdle. Should not be considered for purchase."

However, playing with the tool, if i increased the crown angle to 27.9 then the diamond had a score of 1.9. I know this is a fairly big angle difference, but is the diamond really at a big danger of chipping? I don't lead a very active lifestyle, but I guess thats not to say I won't in the future with kids etc!

If the diamond isn't ok, it can be exchanged for another one...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts if you would be so kind!

Check that crown angle again - 27 seems way off! If it's true, the chipping risk would indeed be very real.

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Ouch... 27 is indeed the angle.... :(

Now what? I think my boyfriend wouldn't be too impressed if I rejected the stone, but not too impressed if it chipped either!

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Ouch... 27 is indeed the angle.... :(

Now what? I think my boyfriend wouldn't be too impressed if I rejected the stone, but not too impressed if it chipped either!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could always have it examined by an appraiser once you receive the stone. If he recommends returning it, then it wouldn't be rejecting it out of hand. Diamonds are expensive and you want to make the best decision possible on choosing a stone that will stand the test of time with you!

If he has just purchased it through an online vendor, can you contact them before it ships to ask them about the crown angle and girdle being thin and posing a chipping risk?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That crown angle is really too low, please talk to your BF and see if you can cancel the order and pick another option! I think you have done very well to choose a GIA diamond, and J color is fine in that size especially where body tint is less noticable. These are really smart decisions to make your money go further and make sure it is spent well. I would further suggest you pick GIA excellent cut stones, or if you pick a Very Good cut, then select one with a safer crown angle.

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Thankyou missgotrocks and dreamer. I will email the vendor... Is the low crown angle also likely to affect visual beauty? Or "just" durability? I feel so stupid...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are not stupid - you are here trying to learn all you can. Diamond buying is not easy and this forum is a great resource to folks trying to learn all they need to know.

A 33 degree crown angle is about as shallow as one could reasonably go and the best range is 34 to 35 degrees. A crown angle of 27 will impact the diamond's appearance but to what extent I cannot say. I've never seen a stone with that crown angle but maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

Chin up - onward and upward to finding your best diamond deal! Please come back and post details about any other diamond you might be considering - we'll be happy to help!

Laethia

Rough_Rock
Thankyou very much indeed for your kind words :wavey: I have emailed the vendor and waiting for a reply, I was posting on this forum on my phone in bed last night worrying myself silly about hurting my boyfriends feelings but I think if I come up with some alternatives he will be happier :) I will create another thread asking for some help in finding the right diamond on that website, because I'm really out of my depth here!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1342996923|3238265 said:
That crown angle is really too low, please talk to your BF and see if you can cancel the order and pick another option! I think you have done very well to choose a GIA diamond, and J color is fine in that size especially where body tint is less noticable. These are really smart decisions to make your money go further and make sure it is spent well. I would further suggest you pick GIA excellent cut stones, or if you pick a Very Good cut, then select one with a safer crown angle.

Dreamer knows what she is talking about! By the way I have a 1.51 ct J (GIA rated) in yellow gold surrounded by 4 F-G diamonds and no one notices any tint in my J stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results