shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Yes Laurie, was surprised to at the price. Press fairly consistent with that number though. Was going to try to look it up if Cartier has a website (which I assume they do).

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Ok just drooled all over my laptop while viewing the Cartier site. Catherine's necklace is not listed and the press is reporting it has been in her possession "for quite a while." so maybe it is part of last years collection. Beautiful piece, but it looks so simple (which Catherine appears to prefer), but I still gasp over the price.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
While looking more closely at the photos recently posted, I noticed the 3rd picture under "Happy 65th Birthday" for the Duchess of Cornwall, The necklace with blue stones shown with a dark blue evening gown. Has this piece been discussed before, what are the stones, history behind it, gift from Prince Charles etc.? Thanks

English Princess

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342431339|3234707 said:
laurensmama|1342377572|3234384 said:
Hello everyone,

There is also an interesting article on some of the Queen's diamonds in this month's Majesty magazine. As a sidebar, what is the necklace she is wearing on the cover of the magazine? I am sure we have discussed it, but it's name escapes me.

Do you mean this issue?
312848_265146640184680_911753728_n.jpg
(picture taken from Majesty magazine's FB account)

Bobby

That is not the cover for Majesty's Diamond Jubilee issue. That is a picture of Majesty's The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Book. I do not have the cover for this issue of Majesty scanned into my computer, but looking at it, I can tell you the Queen is wearing the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace. The exact necklase pictured in Bobby's later post.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
I like Catherine's necklace, finally some bigger jewelry! I thought it was quite simple for it's price tag until I learned that it has pavé set diamonds in the main trinity of rings. I also thought the 5 rings, eluding to the Olympic symbol and I liked the colours of gold, eluding to the different medals, was a nice touch.

kate-stella-mccartney-blue-ridley-dress-national-portrait-gallery-splash-400-x-888.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1342740605|3236904 said:
Ok just drooled all over my laptop while viewing the Cartier site. Catherine's necklace is not listed and the press is reporting it has been in her possession "for quite a while." so maybe it is part of last years collection. Beautiful piece, but it looks so simple (which Catherine appears to prefer), but I still gasp over the price.
I found what looks to be her necklace on the British Cartier website. Gorgeous piece!

cartiernecklace.jpg

cartier-trinity-69b7b.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1342743348|3236923 said:
While looking more closely at the photos recently posted, I noticed the 3rd picture under "Happy 65th Birthday" for the Duchess of Cornwall, The necklace with blue stones shown with a dark blue evening gown. Has this piece been discussed before, what are the stones, history behind it, gift from Prince Charles etc.? Thanks

The Duchess of Cornwall is wearing a set of aquamarines and diamond jewels in the photo with the blue Westwood gown. It is believed that it was a present from The Prince of Wales, as it hasn't been mentioned in the list of presents to TRH on official tours (contrary to the emeralds, rubies and sapphires) ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
English Princess|1342744846|3236937 said:
That is not the cover for Majesty's Diamond Jubilee issue. That is a picture of Majesty's The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Book. I do not have the cover for this issue of Majesty scanned into my computer, but looking at it, I can tell you the Queen is wearing the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace. The exact necklase pictured in Bobby's later post.

Well, I don't have this (or another) Majesty Magazine, but this is what appears on their site and FB account under 'Current Issue'. Thanks for mentioning my mistake, though :)
BTW, I already identified the necklace in my post from 17 Jul 2012, 22:56h.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1342746958|3236956 said:
I like Catherine's necklace, finally some bigger jewelry! I thought it was quite simple for it's price tag until I learned that it has pavé set diamonds in the main trinity of rings. I also thought the 5 rings, eluding to the Olympic symbol and I liked the colours of gold, eluding to the different medals, was a nice touch.

The necklace was, perhaps, the most appropriate jewel of all Windsor treasures to wear at this event. I've never been so happy with a jewel The Duchess has worn to date... But then again I love Cartier and I like sautoirs... The Duchess of Cambridge's Cartier sautoir LOL
But the price... I've seen tiaras sold for much less... I guess you buy a signature Cartier item (and it is a longterm investment) rather than a diamond necklace ;-)
Here is a close-up - Photo by Indigo/Getty Images

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1342753436|3237016 said:
I found what looks to be her necklace on the British Cartier website. Gorgeous piece!

Your first photo shows the right necklace. The second one is a different piece ;-)

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds or not, Cartier or not, the price still takes my breath away. Anyhow, I'll bet it was a 1st anniv. gift from cute hubby.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342781386|3237106 said:
Fly Girl|1342753436|3237016 said:

Your first photo shows the right necklace. The second one is a different piece ;-)

Bobby
I agree, Bobby. After I posted the second picture I realized it was indeed different. Cartier has a whole collection, at various price points, of their Trinity necklace. What they have in common are the three rings motif.

Catherine's necklace is quite beautiful, and befitting royalty.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342474756|3234991 said:
There are a couple of hours till it's too late...
Happy 65th birthday, Your Royal Highness!
c554.jpg

Another interesting tidbit from The Queen's Diamonds with regards to the Duchess of Cambridge...

The tiara (referring to the Duchess of Teck's Crescent Tiara) was inherited by The Queen in 2002 and has since been loaned to the Duchess of Cornwall."

I do not know of any time she has worn it though.​

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1342820242|3237424 said:
Another interesting tidbit from The Queen's Diamonds with regards to the Duchess of Cambridge...

The tiara (referring to the Duchess of Teck's Crescent Tiara) was inherited by The Queen in 2002 and has since been loaned to the Duchess of Cornwall."

I do not know of any time she has worn it though.

I'm sure you meant Cornwall, didn't you, Maria?
If HRH has worn the tiara it must've been for one of the (white tie) receptions for the Corps Diplomatique at Buckingham Palace. One of the secret glittering events in both the British and the Dutch Royal Courts.

I have been wondering about the pearl and diamond earrings The Duchess of Cornwall wore at Peter and Autumn Phillips' wedding. They have a simple cluster design and given that HRH has worn a lot of jewels from Queen Elizabeth's collection I do wonder if they might be the pair of three foil earrings that Her late Majesty often wore, the pair that belonged to Queen Victoria? Any thoughts?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I jut remembered that on Juky 19th "The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, on behalf of The Queen in celebration of Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee, [...] arrived in Guernsey and were received". For the visit HRH wore a pair of VC&A dragon-fly brooches - Photo, Close up. In some of the photos HRH was not wearing the pearl necklace. I hope the worse didn't happen...

On their third day to the Channel Islands HRH wore the lily of the valley brooch: Photo. This photo is quite lovely. I would've done the same :razz:

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
I hope the necklace wasn't lost. Good grief how could that happen with all the press and other individuals there? Is it possible it is the photo angle?

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
I really hope that HRH's pearl necklace didn't break! As laurensmama said, it would be impossible for there not to be photos of it breaking, but maybe they thought that it was in bad taste to publish such pictures, that is, if the necklace really did break. She could have just taken it off.

I also like the Lily of the Valley brooch. Is it Camilla's personal property or does it belong to the Crown?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Where is Danny? Does anybody know? He hasn't posted in some time & lots of people miss him.

--- Laurie

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Laurie, I was wondering the same thing. I hope everything is okay with him.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if somebody might know on what occasion this photo of Queen Alexandra's Kokoshnik was taken? There are photos of The Girls of Great Britain & Ireland tiara and Queen Mary's Lover's knot tiara in the same 'style', so I'd presume they were taken for the same purpose. Are they, perhaps, from Queen Mary's Jewellery Inventory?
queenalexanrakokoshnik.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Was thinking this morning as I was running errands, have we discussed all of the jewels in Princess Alexandria of Kent's possession? I know some of it has been because of the inheritance from her mother, but I was wondering did she inherit anything from Queen Mary? Thanks

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
As far as I remember, we discussed Princess Alexandra's jewels earlier this year. HRH has some lovely pieces, but only few of them have past royal history. I believe that none of the pieces in Princess Alexandra's possession belonged to Queen Mary. Princess Marian left those who did were left to The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael.
It's a lovely idea to re-discuss HRH's jewels. One just never gets enough of them :razz: Any volunteers?

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Well I don't know much about her jewelry, but I would be glad to share some pictures and the little information that I do know. Please feel free to correct me, and/or to add on, as always. ;-)

princessalexandraweddinggowntiara.jpg

princess-alexandra-of-kent-with-alexander-the-koala-during-the-royal-visit-in-1959-small.jpg

princess-alexandra-kent-clive-kandel-1.jpg

npk001015.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Question in picture #1 posted by Sunshine of Princess Alexandria's wedding, maybe it is the hairstyle, but is this a different fringe tiara from the one QEII wore? I realize this was at one time a very popular design.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Question in picture #2 posted by Sunshine, is it possible that Princess Alexandria owns the bandeau tiara now? When was this photo taken before or after Queen Mary's death?

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Question in photo #3 posted by Sunshine does anyone know anything about the tiara, does it still exist, history? I remember her wearing other tiaras at state dinners but not the one pictured.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1343340874|3240844 said:
Question in picture #2 posted by Sunshine, is it possible that Princess Alexandria owns the bandeau tiara now? When was this photo taken before or after Queen Mary's death?

As has already been answered, the photo was taken in 1959, 6 years after Queen Mary passed away.
Here is what I wrote about this bandeau on page 379 -
This bandeau is among the few jewels that Queen Mary bought, rather than ordered. HM purchased it in 1925 from Gerrard's and left it to Princess Marina in her will. The top part was re-constructed into a fringe tiara for the current Duchess of Kent and only the base remains from the original bandeau.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1343341407|3240852 said:
Question in photo #3 posted by Sunshine does anyone know anything about the tiara, does it still exist, history? I remember her wearing other tiaras at state dinners but not the one pictured.

Possibly it still exists in somebody's collection. I'm afraid, however, that it has long since left the Kent collection. This bandeau depicts diamond snakes guarding their eggs (formed by pearls). It was among Princess Elena of Greece&Denmark's gifts to her daughter Marina on the occasion of her marriage to The Duke of Kent. Princess Marina wore it most notably at the Silver Wedding Anniversary of Queen Juliana & Prince Bernhard.I believe that at some point the bandeau was made convertible to a necklace (that's how it was sold) with two of the circles removed and turned into earrings (also sold).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results