shape
carat
color
clarity

Need assistance with restringing advice, please!

c langston

Shiny_Rock
I need to have my 38" 8-9mm traditional white pearls restrung, and I'm in need of some advice. I did something so lame, I bent over and the string of pearls got caught in a shopping cart. I must be have had some momentum going because the silk popped at the knot 3 pearls from the clasp. I love wearing my pearls long or doubled (yes even to the grocery store), I add pendants or a fancy earing to dress them up on occassion for a fancy dinner. I really need to get the strand repaired soon.

Can anyone recommend someone in the FL area that is experienced? Is the cost of the job done on a per knot or, whole strand length typically?

Thanks
c

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Many of the online vendors do restringing, but you would have to send them out. Why not check around with local jewelers and bead shops in your area for quotes. A few important things you want to ask:
Do they do work in house or send them out to a restringer. If they have to mail out your pearls to a out of town restringer, items can be lost in the mail or cost more as they have to mail them registered for security. A local restringer would not have those charges.
Also does the restringer use two strands of silk and double knot, don't require any less. These strands are stronger than single strand silk.
If your item has a clasp ask for Bullion/gimp/frenchwire to be used where the silk is attached to the clasp. Your strand will be more secure and this is the weakest part of the strand.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the reply Nacrerlover! I had not even considered having the silk replaced with the double strand silk which makes total sense to me now, I do wear them alot it would be an added layer of strength. I will start having all of my different strands restrung this way as it's needed. "THANK YOU" for the very good advice. c

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
clangston, If you have a collection of stands and like hobbies , perhaps you might like to learn to restring too. It's lots of fun and then you can create new designs adding gems and precious metal roundels to your pieces. I am always tearing things up and making new jewelry.

c langston

Shiny_Rock
Oooooo That would be lovely! I have piddled with beading for years but my finish work is functional but *wince* not very professional. Hubby laughs and calls my attempts "Pop Beads." Yes, I will put together an outfit and do a quick restring of beads to compliment an outfit *BLUSH* in a pinch I have used dental floss in the past. I suppose I should not publicly admit to doing that huh? I did make the mistake of using mint floss just once, warm body temp beads and mint parfume yikes. Can you recommend a method that is pretty fool proof? I have other beads and lesser quality pearls that I could practice on to see if I can get the knack of it before cutting up my good strands. A few quick additional questions; 1) Is there a proper silk thread size that should be used for good pearls (doubled) and 2) Is there a source for any beading supplies that you would recommend? We have a Hobby Lobby here locally that may have some beading supplies but I don't believe they carry 14k y or w findings. If I wind up being all thumbs I can still use your previous advice.

Having visions of my big white baroques and my loose 14mm AAA Amethyst beads...Oh yes this could certainly be fun.

*Giggle* See what you have started?

c

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
C langston, You can buy silk on ebay or set up an account at RioGrande and buy your findings, roundels and silk there. You don't need a business license to buy there. There are different size silk so you may want to buy different sizes so you have the right size for the job.
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Silk-Bead-Cords-White/635212?pos=3 As you can see it comes in different sizes B-FF.
You also will need some colapsable needles , superglue, french wire.
I use a lot of D and E size silk. This how I decide which size to use on the pearls I am restringing, Using a double strand of silk, you have to be able to knot between the pearls and not have the knot slip inside the hole in the ajoining pearl. Also the first and last three pearls on your retringing project have 4 strands of silk in them, so the holes have to be large enough to accomodate 4 strands. A quick test to check the silk on a few pearls will give you the answer you need.

Are you a member of Pearl Guide? There is a thread about pearl restringing with lots of information and some videos. There are several ways to knot the silk and everyone thinks theirs is the best. :wink2: You will find some videos showing you how some are knotting there.

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results