shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get a witness?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Ever had one of those weeks at work where, for the prize value of a scratch off ticket, you would seriously consider quitting your job?

And I don't mean give your notice. I mean walk out. Maybe after having the last word. But definitely with attitude.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Are you talking about yourself?? Because from a recent post (what makes you happy), you sounded happy!?? Or was it just the "5 figure" salary??

At any rate, no job is worth untold amounts of stress and unhappiness.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1342123634|3232954 said:
Ever had one of those weeks at work where, for the prize value of a scratch off ticket, you would seriously consider quitting your job?

And I don't mean give your notice. I mean walk out. Maybe after having the last word. But definitely with attitude.

Yup. When I had a paying job, I sure did! But don't do it on the spur of the moment. Take to drink or something.

In all seriousness, don't act in haste. Bring the problems here if you want to! I think probably most people have been mistreated at work in bizarre and insane ways that the universe has thought up in its quirkiest and most sadistic moments...but we choose to forget them!

Major hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. Many many times. This week is just the most recent in a long history...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Yes, many times. Luckily, the job I have now is much better. Or, I should say, my boss isn't a complete idiot.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not at my current one, but as a partner yes and I essentially did just that.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had days like that - weeks even.

At one point last year I almost pulled that trigger.

But - I just got home from work. ;))

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
YESSSSS! In fact I did walk out just yesterday! But seeing as how I am the boss I had to walk right back into my office about 2 hours after that. :nono: Its been a bad week for a lot of people I know-- is there a full moon or something???

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES! Amen! I've been there.

It happens very rarely now that I only need to physically be at work 34 weeks out of the year, thankfully.

I actually saw someone do that once, at my first job out of college. He stood up in his cube right in the middle of the day, slammed down a pile of papers, and said "F*ck CompanyA, and f*ck all of you." Then he grabbed his things and he walked out. I had this really strong urge to give him a standing ovation, but apparently I was the only one so I remained in my seat. He was my hero. That really was a terrible job.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
MyDiamondSparkles said:
YESSSSS! In fact I did walk out just yesterday! But seeing as how I am the boss I had to walk right back into my office about 2 hours after that. :nono: Its been a bad week for a lot of people I know-- is there a full moon or something???

From today's Cafe Astrology website;

The Astrology of Today - All Signs--July 12, 2012

Uranus is stationary today as it begins retrograde motion very early into the day tomorrow, and "all things Uranus" tend to dominate the day as a result. Uranus will remain retrograde until December 13th.

:bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Amen, sister! :sun:

Don't fall for that "why don't you quit and be your own boss?" line, though. Having your own business means you have a ton of bosses instead of just one. They just call them clients. Then one day you might have employees, which are like children, but not as cute.

So, yes. I can relate.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Yep. I've been having a few of them lately.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I would walk out and never look back...I am so looking forward to retirement (11 years away :nono: ) i

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! In fact, I would guess there are more people who sometimes feel that way than people who never do. I just had a day like that this past Tuesday where I called my dh and started crying and said I couldn't take it anymore. However, I realized it was part PMS and part A/C was broken at work. Under those circumstances who wouldn't feel that way LOL. Fortunately I made it through the day.

If it's just an occasional "OMG I want to quit my job right this very instant and tell everyone what I think of them" then I would suppress the urge. However, if you are feeling this way on a more regular basis then time to start thinking of better alternatives.

Good luck Holly- hope you are feeling better today!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1342141173|3233057 said:

It happens very rarely now that I only need to physically be at work 34 weeks out of the year, thankfully.

I actually saw someone do that once, at my first job out of college. He stood up in his cube right in the middle of the day, slammed down a pile of papers, and said "F*ck CompanyA, and f*ck all of you." Then he grabbed his things and he walked out. I had this really strong urge to give him a standing ovation, but apparently I was the only one so I remained in my seat. He was my hero. That really was a terrible job.

oh how I'd love to do that . . .

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1342141173|3233057 said:

HA it sounds like he deserved one! That is AWESOME. :appl: He was the original Jet Blue flight attendant!

And I actually like my job for the most part, but I have DEFINITELY been there, Holly. Luckily I only had to suffer through that job for about a year and a half before I found another job that I knew I'd like.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
In college I worked at home depot. One of the assistant managers had enough one day. He walked outside and threw his work keys on the roof. I thought that was awesome.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'm just so flippin' tired of being The Responsible One.

A CFO of an auto dealership does not have time to be the office manager. Well, I am.
A CFO " " " " usually isn't the HR director. Yup, me, too.
A CFO doesn't usually get to train the office staff and fix their messes. But I do.

Now, add to that a General Manager/Owner who only comes to work when it suits him to do so, and a staff that has "always done it that way", and enough work (today) to keep me busy for the rest of the month without another thing added.

My days this week have averaged 12 hrs. Monday and Tuesday, I was here until midnight to get the financials out by the 10th. I work most weekends. My house needs cleaning, and my clothes need washing. My car needs an oil change, and I need to update my registration. Oh, yeah, I need to see my CPA about my Dad's taxes which we filed an extension for in April. The question is . . . when?? I'm always here!

I'm always the one stuck with the majority of the work, wherever I am employed. Is it because I'm so darn capable? Really? Or do I just choose the wrong work situations?

I want the executive position that comes in late, leaves early, takes the accolades, and wears the Teflon suit that deflects all responsiblity. C'mon, universe. I've earned that job, many times over.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry you're having a horrible week, Holly. Can they (not sure who "they'd" be -- the owners?) bring in someone to help? A temp maybe?

What if you wrote down everything you do and the amount of time it takes to do your job and give it to your boss (again, the owners, right?)? Maybe they don't realize how much it is for one person to handle alone, and seeing it written out will either a) make them see they need another person in the office or b) back off a little and not demand so much.

Just an idea.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother has gotten into some hilarious job situations (well maybe not to her, but from her telling them). For background she has a degree in English and Journalism, and is a grandmother (and looks it).
At one job, part of her job became teaching the older workforce (mostly ladies) the computer programs. Well unlike with the current IT person (who was hard to deal with) she was actually able to explain things and they learned how to use the programs. The company then fired him out of the blue and promoted her to computer tech. She kept trying to explain to them she was not a tech (for both software and hardware support for the company), until they finally realized it and fired her too.
Then she had a sales job, in which she was ridiculously good at, but whenever she would start to reach the numbers where she would get a bonus, the president of the company would self-invite himself to meetings she set up, and then say those sales didn't count towards the bonus, since he was at the meeting too (he did this a number of times). The boss would also constantly change her territory, which would give clients she recruited to other employees. Basically even though she had the biggest sales of the history of the company, she was never eligible for bonuses. As the job was essentially a minumun wage job without the bonuses she eventually quit in frustration.
And she got hired at a job where everyone else (except for her) in the company was part of the same cult, in which the "cafeteria" was vegetarian group meals in which they wouldn't wash the dishes with actual soap but just dip them in water between meals (she only lasted a week there).

I've had both situations, One in which I was young and had less fear of lack of employment, where I did "the thanks, but no thanks" and here is my 2 weeks notice to bad management. My coworkers were so psyched by it (managment got in trouble because then other things came to light) so, briefly, I was a hero.

And one (and pretty much all subsequent jobs) in which I was the model "yes" employee. For a particular boss after I got pregnant was really harrassed, but out of misguided loyalty, stayed in an increasingly bad situation, when I should have done the "take this job" or filed suit (or both), until I was terminated. My boss had run through the gamut of ways to humiliate me and that was the last thing left, so it was inevitable at some point.

anyways, I am left with the feeling there is no shortage of bad management, but typically it is the employees serving under them that get punished for it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Holly, if you were to quit, how would you do it? I like Haven's ex-coworker's style. I like my job, but when I'm exhausted I find it soothing to daydream about how I would quit. I'm pretty sure that in nearly every scenario, the term "f*ck this" is used.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1342227609|3233565 said:
Holly, if you were to quit, how would you do it? I like Haven's ex-coworker's style. I like my job, but when I'm exhausted I find it soothing to daydream about how I would quit. I'm pretty sure that in nearly every scenario, the term "f*ck this" is used.

Well, much as I'd like to . . .

But, I've known the owners for 30+ years. A-n-d, we used to go to the same church. A-n-d, I wouldn't want to burn my bridges. I feel obligated to do a good job for them. There's my problem, I guess.

I have a reputation to uphold. I was the office manager and personal secretary for one of our city's biggest names, once upon a time. He told the world that I "hung the moon". So now I have to continue working miracles at my subsequent jobs.

So, here I am. Thinking, "I am way too old for this sh*t."

I'm going to be so very tired when I retire. I may sleep straight through the first six months of it. Well, whenever it finally gets here.

Yeah, me. I'm a career woman. Woo-hoo. *yawn*

hoover

Shiny_Rock
OMG - I wish I can grow a pair and do those things!!!

After last week, I've been working 12-14 hour days to finish a stupid project project because of the constant threat of disciplinary action - and the b*******ds keep adding to the requirements.

I REALLY wish I can just say (a la Cartman from South Park): Screw you guys, I'm going home!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1342205890|3233412 said:
I want the executive position that comes in late, leaves early, takes the accolades, and wears the Teflon suit that deflects all responsiblity. C'mon, universe. I've earned that job, many times over.

Holly, the problem is that you don't have the personality for it. Seriously.

Deb
:saint:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1342274573|3233788 said:
HollyS|1342205890|3233412 said:

Holly, the problem is that you don't have the personality for it. Seriously.

Deb
:saint:

I KNOW!!!!! My best friend and I were talking just yesterday about how we simply cannot just phone it in. It is not who we are. We have to be proud of our work; it is essential to our sense of self-worth to produce our best effort.

There was an article, online, not long ago, about some pseudo-celebrity author making bazillions on the ginormous sales of her horribly written novel. I won't say the name, since someone may actually like her work. Personally, I think she writes trash. Badly. I know I could do better, but crap always sells better than good literature. No matter how rich I'd like to be. . . I could not write crap, sell it, and with a straight face, accept congrats for my creative pile o' sh*t. Could. Not.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all so true. I complained about a coworker years ago not pullng their weight. I was told those that can do, those that can't don't. I railed at how unfair this statement was at the time and yet many years later, I know it to be true. Capable, responsible people just can't turn their back on a job to be done. It's simply not possible. In a perfect world, everyone would do their fair share but it's not a perfect world. There is pride and satisfaction though in doing a job well - and that is completely separate from the money we earn. In the end, we only answer for our own actions and I think the job we do speaks for itself as well.

Here's hoping that next week will be a great one for you!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1342377993|3234388 said:
This is all so true.

I complained about a coworker years ago not pullng their weight. I was told those that can do, those that can't don't. I railed at how unfair this statement was at the time and yet many years later, I know it to be true. Capable, responsible people just can't turn their back on a job to be done. It's simply not possible. In a perfect world, everyone would do their fair share but it's not a perfect world. There is pride and satisfaction though in doing a job well - and that is completely separate from the money we earn. In the end, we only answer for our own actions and I think the job we do speaks for itself as well.

Thank you, MissGotRocks. You nailed what I wanted to communicate to Holly about herself. I want to make this paragraph about Holly. Holly and I are, in many respects, like chalk and cheese. We were at very opposite sides of the political spectrum when we were allowed to discuss politics in the past in Around The World. She is a Texan and I am a Connecticut Yankee (mother and maternal grandmother both born in this state). We came to know each other fairly well over the years on Pricescope and to realize that we had many things in common. (I do not even work "outside the home" now, so being a go-getter is surely something I cannot say I share with Holly!) I know that Holly is candid; true to her word; smart as a whip; honest; energetic; and very hardworking. She often says things that make people angry, but she is true blue, has backbone, and grit. I'd hire her to do any job she said she could do, because I know if she said she could do it, she would follow through and do it!

You have my vote of confidence, Holly!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like somehow you will have to reduce your workload before the job drives you completely crazy! But my last job I held before owning my own business (which is no picnic either), I kind of walked out on it. I was the person you are. I was trained how to do every type of job, worked hard at it; and instead of being rewarded for that, I was transferred out of the department. The last three years at that job were a living hell; between given crap jobs and having a boss that treated me like a kindergarten kid, I couldn't take it. The last week before my husband and I finalized buying our business, I called out sick the entire week. When I went back to work, I told them it was my last day. Everyone was pretty shocked. It was the first place I had never given two weeks notice.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1342455422|3234833 said:
MissGotRocks|1342377993|3234388 said:
This is all so true.

I complained about a coworker years ago not pullng their weight. I was told those that can do, those that can't don't. I railed at how unfair this statement was at the time and yet many years later, I know it to be true. Capable, responsible people just can't turn their back on a job to be done. It's simply not possible. In a perfect world, everyone would do their fair share but it's not a perfect world. There is pride and satisfaction though in doing a job well - and that is completely separate from the money we earn. In the end, we only answer for our own actions and I think the job we do speaks for itself as well.

Thank you, MissGotRocks. You nailed what I wanted to communicate to Holly about herself. I want to make this paragraph about Holly. Holly and I are, in many respects, like chalk and cheese. We were at very opposite sides of the political spectrum when we were allowed to discuss politics in the past in Around The World. She is a Texan and I am a Connecticut Yankee (mother and maternal grandmother both born in this state). We came to know each other fairly well over the years on Pricescope and to realize that we had many things in common. (I do not even work "outside the home" now, so being a go-getter is surely something I cannot say I share with Holly!) I know that Holly is candid; true to her word; smart as a whip; honest; energetic; and very hardworking. She often says things that make people angry, but she is true blue, has backbone, and grit. I'd hire her to do any job she said she could do, because I know if she said she could do it, she would follow through and do it!

You have my vote of confidence, Holly!

Deb/AGBF

Y'all made me blush! (I'm orginally Midwestern from Illinois, so I'm only Texas by naturalization {and attrition}. :bigsmile: )

Work ethic was pounded into my head from birth. I simply cannot be a slacker. Well, sometimes I procrastinate . . . like right now . . .

Chalk and cheese??? In these here parts, we say "Oil and water". :cheeky:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1342477516|3235007 said:
Chalk and cheese??? In these here parts, we say "Oil and water". :cheeky:

No, it's not the same thing, Holly. If two things are like "oil and water", they do not mix. We have that saying in the north, too. I didn't mean that about us. One might say that mixing The Sierra Club with the executives of BP's Deepwater Horizon was like mixing oil and water. The saying that two people are "like chalk and cheese" means something different, not that they cannot mix, but that they are very different from each other. Chalk is dry and dusty and certainly not appetizing; cheese is moist and soft, aromatic and edible. It is the contrast between the two which is meant to be stessed by the saying, not the conflict.

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results