carat
color
clarity

peridot project

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So.... LOTS going on in life.
I haven't had a chance to really dive into colored stones yet (either research or this forum) and I've got a project that needs to get done. For right now, I have to skip the back story. (hopefully I'll have a happy announcement in the next few weeks over in Hangout!!!)

The project:

13th birthday of an important girl. She's had a very rough life and the last year has been especially hard. She doesn't really have any jewelry and I'm not sure how long she'll be able to keep from losing a piece. (translate to mean special but not super expensive)

Her birthday is August 29. (giving late with pictures of what is to come is NOT an option)

She loves blues and greens. Her birthstone is peridot.

We'd like to give her a magen david with peridot. Any suggestions of vendors to use? Anyone see one already done for sale? Is this project even possible? Buy stones through the vendor that puts the piece together or buy seperate and ship to them?

Here is a picture of what we sort of had in mind:

pzale1-6713825t400.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey:

what a lovely thought!

i did a quick online search and did not see anything as nice as what you posted. i think peridot replacing the diamonds would be lovely.

you're on a time frame and my suggestions would be just to source it out to a trusted jeweler, PS trusted vendor, or someone on etsy......

good to see you!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MZ & Part Gypsy :wavey:

I just chatted with Liza at Whiteflash and explained the situation to her. She's going to check with suppliers and get some pricing together for me.

Any suggestions about white or yellow gold? I originally thought white gold would look best with the peridot but now I'm wondering if the plating would be more maintenance?

The girl has never had anything nice before so really has no idea what she likes.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1342452173|3234809 said:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/92016684/sterling-silver-and-gold-kabbalah?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=magen+david+peridot&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

I searched for magen david and peridot on Etsy and this is what comes up, but there are many other magen Davids that do not feature peridot as well. One option is to get a Magen David charm, and also a free floating peridot charm and put on same necklace

That is really pretty! I like the design of that. It actually might fit well with her current style.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like that designer's work as well.

desertgem

Rough_Rock
If time becomes the primary factor, you might consider a plain gold or silver star and have a jeweler attach an appropriate size peridot tear mount such as one would see on a necklace chain, in the center. I don't know if that would violate any custom, but I think it would look good.

Jim

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like peridot with silver.........yes, i really do!

i like the two tone metal pendant that part gypsy posted from etsy as well.....but think the orginal star you posted, Too, is really elegant and timeless. but i would seriously consider doing it ....hey, i just had an idea: perhaps have the metal done two tone? the design is really two triangles and each one could be a different metal and therefore you'd get both the cool and warm tones.

again, you are doing a very lovely thing for this young woman.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We picked the setting. It is different than the picture posted, but looks nice and is the classic look we were hoping for.

They aren't able to find peridot in the size needed for the setting.

"Some alternative options would be sapphries (blue, pink, or yellow), rubies, or perhaps tsavorite garnet which is also a green stone. Tsavorite is a bit more saturated in color than peridot, a bit of a truer green."

I don't want to do sapphires. (I love them but don't want to use them in this project)

I'm torn between rubies and tsavorite. I've only seen tsavorite in pictures (need to fix that!). It looks beautiful.

Any suggestions for tie breaking? Durability? Price differences?

ETA: Here's the setting:

this_setting.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what do I know, but I would think it would be a lot easier to find melee size peridot than tsavorite!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah!

Okay... so B thinks we should get her "something bluish".

I don't want to do sapphire because I don't want her to think it was something I had and we just gifted her something that was around or to think that I picked it out for her based on what I like.

She seems to really like blue. The "green" that she likes is actually closer to a teal color verging on blue.

Any suggestions about what would be "bluish", available in the size needed (six 1pt), and not super expensive.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I'm actually not surprised if 1 pt melee is limited to sapphires, rubies, and tsavorite. At that size most of the cost is likely in cutting and not in the material. The 3 stones mentioned already cover the entire spectrum of colors, and offer the best durability and saturation of their respective colors. I can see why vendors would not find it cost effective to offer other stones for 1 pt melee.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
2 point melee is incredibly small....i can't imagine 1 point!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like the point was to represent her birthday and the tsav would be the option I would go for, if peridot is not available.

I like your selection - that will be a beautiful gift! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most melees are not cost effective to cut, plus in that tiny size, most become either almost colourless or are very included dark stones. To keep your options simple, why not get the original pendant (which looks very pretty) then have it modified to hold a peridot in the centre "gap"? A little round peridot should be easy to get and inepensive. It should be easy enough for the bench to have a generic 4 prong basket soldered to the pendant.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1342786583|3237123 said:
Most melees are not cost effective to cut, plus in that tiny size, most become either almost colourless or are very included dark stones. To keep your options simple, why not get the original pendant (which looks very pretty) then have it modified to hold a peridot in the centre "gap"? A little round peridot should be easy to get and inepensive. It should be easy enough for the bench to have a generic 4 prong basket soldered to the pendant.

That is an interesting idea. Do you think sterling silver would stand up to daily wear?

I've been thinking about it and those stones do seem just tiny. I'm going to run this by Liza and see if they can work with your idea. I like that it would be large enough to see the color and still be unique.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If well constructed, it should be fine, especially for a pendant which is well protected. I'm currently wearing a silver band just for fun, but take it off to home to preserve the engraving. I've worn a silver bangle daily 24/7 which seems to hold up well until it finally broke a few years later. For some reason, silver doesn't tarnish when I wear it but for some people, it reacts / oxidizes quite quickly.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1342808651|3237331 said:
If well constructed, it should be fine, especially for a pendant which is well protected. I'm currently wearing a silver band just for fun, but take it off to home to preserve the engraving. I've worn a silver bangle daily 24/7 which seems to hold up well until it finally broke a few years later. For some reason, silver doesn't tarnish when I wear it but for some people, it reacts / oxidizes quite quickly.

I just spoke with Liza and they won't be able to modify since it is silver. I'm not sure of the quality, but I doubt it is of reasonable quality anyway.

We're going to do the two pendants so she's got a larger peridot and then a star.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wear a silver sanddollar 24/7. its my "signature" piece, actually....it is not on a silver chain though.

i like Chrono's idea and to elaborate on it: a peridot stone...cab or faceted...could be a "drop/dangle" in the middle of the pendant. actually, a briolet [spelling?] could also be used in that case.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm excited to see what Liza suggests next week since we shifted to doing two pendants. She seems to have a good idea what we're lookig for.

I love the idea of a stone in the center, (maybe as a dangle in the middle?) and am already thinking about another project!

Things have been crazy lately and I think someone (okay... ME) deserves a sparkly project as soon as things settle down some.

ETA: sorry for all spelling, grammar, and random non-technical words. I've had 3 hours of sleep or less each night for the last couple of weeks and my brain is fried.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
admittedly, i prefer the lines of the first picture posted. clean lines. classic. not overly ornate. ageless and elegant. can be worn by a 13 year old and a 60+ woman. something to consider re design.......

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluebirrrd|1342894848|3237754 said:
I think this is a wonderfully sweet project! What do you think of something like this? You can pick your own charms, including peridot, and can customize the length of the necklace.

pendant.jpg
http://localcolorjewelry.com/three-charm_necklaces

I think something like that is what we're heading towards.

MZ -- I agree that the first picture is really nice. The lines are nice and the shape is really defined. I like the style better than just stones on the points or doing the whole star in stones. The one I posted is from Zales. Silver with unknown diamond quality. I'll be doing a project later with that design but having it done in gold with nice diamonds.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to drop away!

Plans have changed a bit. The situation has gotten very complicated and while I'm 99% sure we're going to come out as expected, there is still a possibility that things will go wrong. We had a similar thing (though not as clear cut as this!) before and ended up with a beautiful gift we weren't able to give but I couldn't bring myself to wear. I hate to see stuff sit.

So..... Whiteflash is doing just a magen david & chain for us right now. It is just gold, no stones, but is quite pretty and still unique looking.

Assuming all goes well, we plan to do a separate peridot pendant for her to add next year. (or before!)

I'll post pictures once I get them!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to wait until after giving it to her to post pics. WF did a beautiful job. I'm already thinking about what I'd like to work on with them next (project for me!!). A just loves her necklace.

Here is a pic from WF -- it is even more beautiful in person! I'll try to get more from to post later when my gradfather gets me copies of the pics he took at the party.

gift.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful! Great job they did on the necklace - and hope she had a fantastic 13th birthday :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the actual size? Any possibility of a neck shot?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1346333520|3259721 said:
What is the actual size? Any possibility of a neck shot?

Size is about 1". I was worried it would be too small, but it is a great fit. Doesn't look tiny but isn't overly bold for every day wear.

My grandfather has a great camera and got lots of pics. I'll post when he sends them to me. We should have a neck shot in there!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got the pictures! I love how this looks on her. She likes it too. (yay!)

Now have to teach her to take care of it... found it tossed in her bedding the other day. It is sitting in the box waiting to go to the jeweler to have the knots in the chain untied :nono:

_855.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect size and sits just right as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results