shape
carat
color
clarity

Preset vs custom set Whiteflash earstuds price difference

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Hi There,

I’ve been thinking of getting a pair of earstuds for almost one year to complement my wedding set and I’ve decided that I’d like a pair of 1 ctw martini stud…but I am still hesitating between WF preset studs or custom set studs, there, there’s such a price difference :confused:

Here's what I found on WF today:
1/ Preset 1 ctw studs cost 2595$ setting included(with two 0.5ct H/I SI non certed Expert Selection diamonds)
 Total 2595$

2/ Custom set 1 ctw studs would cost at least 3497$+195$ for the setting (with two 0.5ct G/H SI/VS Expert Selection / Premium Select diamonds
 Total 3692$
(I used the Whiteflash tool to find the least expensive matched pair available for custom set earrings)

Now, what do you think, is the price difference – 1097$ - worth it? Or should I settle for preset studs?

I understand that part of the price difference comes from the AGS certification costs and the difference in color/clarity but still…it’s 1097$ more and the only visible difference may be the certificate!

What did I get wrong? How can preset studs be so much cheaper? :read:

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Re: Preset vs custom set Whiteflash earstuds price differenc

Nobody to shed some light on the price difference? Is my question really that stupid :???:

I wasn't implying that there is anything wrong with the preset studs, I'm actually considering buying a pair of those!

I just want to be sure I'm making an informed decision...I can afford the 3.5k$ "custom set" studs but I'm not against saving some bucks for a future bling purchase ;-)

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

Not an expert but an accounting mayor so maybe I can help shed some light.

1. The preset are not certified. In certifying stones you don't only pay for for the certificate but also for manpower in sending, receiving, etc and for the time value of money (the owner of the stones is basically tying up cash while waiting for the stone to be certified).

2. Whiteflash has higher personnel associated with selling the "custom studs", both in putting up the information for each separate diamond on the webpage and also a client buying custom instead of preset will usually take more of a salespersons time. Additionally it will probably take the bench more time to set them since they need to make sure the right stones go into the right client's earnings.

Basically all other things equal, custom will always be more expensive and usually those costs are passed on to the client.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

Now I would personally choose the presets. That color/clarity difference will not be noticeable in earrings. I also doubt that if you would need to sell the earrings, that you could recoup the price difference. However I am not in the US so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

No question is stupid, well unless you see several threads asking the same question and getting the same answers and still you ask one more time expecting a different result :lol: . That is a significant price difference and studs are not something you buy everyday so you are being smart in looking at all aspects of this purchase.

By the way I think that size is going to be great, what settings have you chosen?

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for your answer, I had thought of the cert but not of the other costs involved with the studs made to ordrr.

As for the setting I think 3 prongs martini would best as I have small earlobes and don't want the studs to dangle if you see what I mean!

Thanks again,
Frenchcut

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

I really understand. I also have small earlobes and went with 0.70tcw since I really wanted milgrained bezels. I think that size on small lobes is perfect. Substantial but wearable for all occasions. Can't wait to see yours!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results