shape
carat
color
clarity

RB to OEC recut: Before and After Pics

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! I've never seen this done before but your stone looks amazing! Wonder if this is going to start a new trend!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool!! Looks gorgeous. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FABULOUS Idea! And such little weight loss and no spread loss. Remarkable.

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that is amazing! I recently asked Brian Gavin about cutting my stone, he estimated a 1ct loss. Off to email Ari!

It's not often that PS has true "firsts" on here but Ma'am, this is a true first (that I know of) regarding an RB to an OEC. Very cool and I can't wait for more pictures! I don't think I'd be brave enough to do mine though :D

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1342077282|3232740 said:
It's not often that PS has true "firsts" on here but Ma'am, this is a true first (that I know of) regarding an RB to an OEC. Very cool and I can't wait for more pictures! I don't think I'd be brave enough to do mine though :D

I had no idea that this was so uncommon, but I'm super excited to share my experience with you guys! I hope it leads to some other beautiful transformations!

SandyCheeks|1342076952|3232739 said:
Wow that is amazing! I recently asked Brian Gavin about cutting my stone, he estimated a 1ct loss. Off to email Ari!

Are you thinking RB to OEC as well? I'm sure the weight loss depends on the specific diamond, but it's definitely worth a shot! :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Cool!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think it looks really cool and is a neat idea!

Before everyone rushes off to recut their Rbs :lol: keep in mind that this change is to the pavilion mostly (only? would love to know), which will be a different look from many classic old cuts that have higher crowns, smaller tables, and other features of true older cuts. Sandy, that is likely why Brian said a 1ct loss: He envisioned a total body makeover!

I would love to see more "after" photos Twosanguinehearts when you get a chance :)) I really love seeing how small changes can affect optics and patterning. I can't wait to hear your thoughts too!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1342111443|3232857 said:

Before everyone rushes off to recut their Rbs :lol: keep in mind that this change is to the pavilion mostly (only? would love to know), which will be a different look from many classic old cuts that have higher crowns, smaller tables, and other features of true older cuts. Sandy, that is likely why Brian said a 1ct loss: He envisioned a total body makeover!

I would love to see more "after" photos Twosanguinehearts when you get a chance :)) I really love seeing how small changes can affect optics and patterning. I can't wait to hear your thoughts too!

Yes, almost all of the change was to the pavilion - he said very little was done to the crown, outside of polishing. He said that creating a smaller table/taller crown would result in a much larger loss of weight/mm, so I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. For me, this process created exactly the results I was looking for, so I can't complain! :appl:

I can find out exactly what they did to the crown the next time I talk to them, and I will try to get more photos as well!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!! :love:

I'm so glad to see someone pulled the trigger on this. When we first got my e-ring (2 years ago now) it's almost an ideal cut RB and I spoke to Ari about a recut and he said it was possible. I have since been in contact with Jonathan at GOG and he said it is a good stone to recut into an AVR-and I am so thrilled so see someone else's results! It's not in the cards anytime soon (house, renovations, a baby on the way) but for an anniversary I totally have plans to get it recut and certified into an AVR. I'm not worried about weight loss (although the fact yours lost so little is thrilling to me!) I just want the optics since I love the OEC look and not the RB look.

I hope to see more of these to come. I can't wait to see the finished product! :appl: :love: :naughty:

angietime

Rough_Rock
twosanguinehearts|1341979767|3232167 said:
TravelingGal|1341978628|3232163 said:
twosanguinehearts|1341978119|3232156 said:
bright ice|1341974276|3232095 said:
Interesting! I could certainly see re-cutting a non-ideal cut stone to an OEC. Can't wait to know what you think when you see it.

I'm curious why the H&A part is so interesting - is there a reason that this typically isn't done or shouldn't be done? Excuse my ignorance - I know a bit about diamonds, but not enough about OECs to understand why H&A would make a difference vs. a regular RB. :confused:

Probably because you've paid a premium for the H&A cut to begin with, that it's not usual for one to recut a well cut stone.

Ahh, I see - I guess I didn't really think about it that way, but that makes sense. While my stone was always really pretty, and I always loved seeing the H&A, I love the look of an OEC so much more. It just appeals to me! I don't plan on ever selling or resetting the stone, so I think I'll be happy with my decision. :D

Here's the only reason the industry doesn't recommend or do this often...OEC fall under the fancy diamond category, so the Rapsheet discount for them drops instantly once it is not considered a Round Brilliant.

jacy

Shiny_Rock
That's an amazing transformation, and even more amazing that it didn't change diameter and had minimal loss in weight! It looks beautiful and I can't wait to see it in its setting.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very fun, exciting and amazing!!!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
angietime|1342182681|3233205 said:
Here's the only reason the industry doesn't recommend or do this often...OEC fall under the fancy diamond category, so the Rapsheet discount for them drops instantly once it is not considered a Round Brilliant.

Well, in actuality the AVR's at GOG sell for a nice price premium above regular rb's, so I think it all depends on the quality of the recuts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, people need to realize that this change was to a stone that was already ideal cut. So if a stone was badly cut from the start, it might need a recut to the crown as well and it could be a very different scenario. If Brian said a stone needed a 1 ct. loss to recut, then expect that much or more on an OEC recut from a rb.

I would think a change like this is more of a transitional look since the crown and table aren't being altered. But I love transitionals as well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342237879|3233639 said:

Yes, people need to realize that this change was to a stone that was already ideal cut. So if a stone was badly cut from the start, it might need a recut to the crown as well and it could be a very different scenario. If Brian said a stone needed a 1 ct. loss to recut, then expect that much or more on an OEC recut from a rb.

I would think a change like this is more of a transitional look since the crown and table aren't being altered. But I love transitionals as well.

Maybe not DS, in the pics it looks like the LGF are very very shot. If they are shorter than 50% it won't look like the sort of tranny you love, jjc's for exmaple. Those guys have LGF that are really long, I bet closer to 70%! I think this stone will look like an OEC with a shallower crown. I would be super curious about how it looks, pity Ari is not a sarin/IS/ASET type of guy because inquiring minds want to know :read:

angietime

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342237674|3233636 said:

Well, in actuality the AVR's at GOG sell for a nice price premium above regular rb's, so I think it all depends on the quality of the recuts.

I love the vintage stones a lot more, but you don't think the industry as a whole excluding special cases like Good Old Gold generally would take a hearts and arrows as a specialty cut as well and find it easier to sell therefor less discounted? OEC and OM are a specialty item and even if they sell for above the advised price per ct, suppliers will not look at it quite the same way. I think in this case because both stones fall within the 2-2.50ct category it may never make a difference in resale value because it can always be recut back into a modern facetted stone, but aesthetic value is different than dollar value in this case. I think the recut looks wonderful...I personally am not a big fan of all H&A's myself.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
That's amazing! Looking forward to more pictures!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
This is so cool. Your diamond looks great in the pics. I can't wait to see it set. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
angietime|1342244360|3233674 said:
diamondseeker2006|1342237674|3233636 said:

I love the vintage stones a lot more, but you don't think the industry as a whole excluding special cases like Good Old Gold generally would take a hearts and arrows as a specialty cut as well and find it easier to sell therefor less discounted? OEC and OM are a specialty item and even if they sell for above the advised price per ct, suppliers will not look at it quite the same way. I think in this case because both stones fall within the 2-2.50ct category it may never make a difference in resale value because it can always be recut back into a modern facetted stone, but aesthetic value is different than dollar value in this case. I think the recut looks wonderful...I personally am not a big fan of all H&A's myself.

Well, H&A stones are just very well cut modern round brilliants and those are mixed in with the rb supply other than branded stones that are cut by a particular vendor. So I'd say that AVR's (and AVC's) are specialty cut stones commissioned by a vendor and since they won't be in the regular diamond supply, they won't be priced that way. I think they will carry the price premium of being ideal cut as well as being a specialty cut. Resale in the future will probably depend on whether they remain popular. I am sure out there in mainstream America, there are only a tiny fraction of a percent of old style cuts being sold. So since all the vendors haven't jumped on the bandwagon, my guess is that there is more money to be made off of traditional cut rb's.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1342238186|3233641 said:
diamondseeker2006|1342237879|3233639 said:

Maybe not DS, in the pics it looks like the LGF are very very short. If they are shorter than 50% it won't look like the sort of tranny you love, jjc's for exmaple. Those guys have LGF that are really long, I bet closer to 70%! I think this stone will look like an OEC with a shallower crown. I would be super curious about how it looks, pity Ari is not a sarin/IS/ASET type of guy because inquiring minds want to know :read:

Oh, very good info, Dreamer! I'll remember the LGF info or else remember to ask you again before having anything recut!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I love symmetry and starting to appreciate bigger facets so I too am very interested to seeing more photos and hearing your feedback about its performance before and after. Btw, I think your diamond is now priceless because it is original and a creation of your own :appl: you should name your diamond.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
GreenBling|1342342380|3234213 said:
Beautiful! I love symmetry and starting to appreciate bigger facets so I too am very interested to seeing more photos and hearing your feedback about its performance before and after. Btw, I think your diamond is now priceless because it is original and a creation of your own :appl: you should name your diamond.

LOL - I like that idea - something with this much personality definitely deserves a name! :lol:

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed Ari the GIA certificate for my RB and he says that he wouldn't touch the table or crown because the table in my stone is already small. It would definitely look whiter as an OEC (my stone is an N) and have the chunky facets. I guess it would be a mini make over or like DS says more of a transitional look. Irecently had BG recut a RB and set into the Barbara and love how it looks. Maybe a change for this stone is in order. Thank you for sharing Twosanguinehearts!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Awesome re-cut..from a MRB to an OEC...Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and story. Single STone did an awesome job on the re-cut! Great that you did not lose any diameter and not much weight loss either.

I've been researching re-cutting diamonds from a RB to an OEC and found this on GOG. Didn't know that Single Stone re-cut as well to an OEC.

Good Old Gold re-cuts them too...here is a video of an AVR re cut from a RB..but started out as an OMC....interesting.
At the 4:50 min mark he talks about the re-cut of the AVR

http://vimeo.com/10755866

2.4 c. OMC re-cut to HA 1.74c. (O color) THEN re-cut again to an AVR 1.5c. M color. Interesting that it went from an O color to an M after re-cutting.

If one is on a budget, find a nice RB at a good price and have it re-cut to an OEC. GOG does it for their customers.

Here is an article on re-cutting along with a chart for RB's.

http://thegraduategemologist.com/?s=recut+chart&searchsubmit=

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I'm day dreaming about recutting a 3.5 SI2 I good into a 3 VS1 F Ex :tongue:

@twosanguinehearts - mind if I asked how the price was determined for your recut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After talking with Jonathan, the diamond I was considering recutting is not a good candidate for an AVR. The one thing I learned from Jonathan is that if you are going to do it, do it right and end up with a well cut stone with good light performance. So I urge anyone thinking of recutting to at least talk to Jonathan because recutting without consideration of the amount of weight lost in order to end up with a well cut stone with great light performance would be a mistake, in my opinion.

After my vacation I am sending for an AVR to compare to my rb to see how I feel about them both before I make any decisions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GreenBling|1342693796|3236526 said:

:lol: May as well dream big!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
GreenBling|1342693796|3236526 said:

@twosanguinehearts - mind if I asked how the price was determined for your recut?

SS had a set price of a few hundred dollars per carat. I'm not sure if they want me posting the price here or not, but I'm sure they can tell you if you call them!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
After talking with Jonathan, the diamond I was considering recutting is not a good candidate for an AVR. The one thing I learned from Jonathan is that if you are going to do it, do it right and end up with a well cut stone with good light performance. So I urge anyone thinking of recutting to at least talk to Jonathan because recutting without consideration of the amount of weight lost in order to end up with a well cut stone with great light performance would be a mistake, in my opinion.

After my vacation I am sending for an AVR to compare to my rb to see how I feel about them both before I make any decisions.

DS, from your conversation with Jonathan, do you know what kind of diamond *would* be a good candidate for an AVR? I'm seriously considering this option as well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results