clarity

Updates, anyone?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MayFlowers|1341324474|3227847 said:
madelise|1341268468|3227523 said:
Those getting engaged and married around you is what is causing it!! :wink2:

Don't feel "stuck", MF! Everyone has their own timelines. I know it's hard, but comparing your own relationship to others' that are further ahead of yours won't do any good. Each couple and each individual comes with their own circumstances. 8) I'm sure there are other people that are looking at you and your relationship, thinking and wishing they were in your shoes! Wishing they could be in a position to be looking for a house and all that :big smile:

OOH! ETA: If you haven't already, download the Redfin app. Everytime I'm in an area that I like, I turn on my app, and it finds local open houses and homes for sale. :)) It helps to see things IRL, and I get to do it "real time" when I just so happen to be in those areas.

Yeah I guess that's what it is. I think I'm also just starting to get impatient. I feel like I've waited forever! I definitely try to focus on all the good things that we have going for us right now. Hopefully it will all work out soon.

Oh and thanks for the tip about the Redfin app! I hadn't heard of that one so I will definitely have to download it. Right now we have only been doing internet searches, so I feel like we miss out on some of the market, especially new construction neighborhoods.

NP, MF :D That app is super awesome, I hope you have fun with it! I'm always on Redfin ;)) and it's all your fault! You mentioned house looking for dates, and I've been looking at houses ever since! It's funny bc a few weeks later, SO mentioned that we should buy a house (we as in HE). We wanted to go look in diff. areas just to see potential regions of different cities that we might want to look into. We ended up just recognizing that we should probably live near his parents' home, and their company, so that we will always be close to his parents (for emergencies with our future kids), and at least he'd be close to work. We found an AMAZING amazing amazing house and deal, and it's on a HUGE plot of land that is already cleared out…. perfect for building another house on… and we could split the property into 2, one for us, and one to rent out or sell.. and we can actually sell the land for just a little under what we'd buy the whole property for now. @_@ Oh wow, I just confused myself. I hope that made sense. Anyway, just bad timing :blackeye: cus it's sooo worth it. I'm still sad about that.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MBKRH|1341356585|3228159 said:
LOL sorry about that! The panhandle is the northern part of the state that touches Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. The Big Easy is New Orleans. :) This is our first vacation together- I'm not anticipating any issues, but who knows. The hot weather and endless driving is bound to make one (or both) of us cranky.

Chicago is beautiful, and the Sears (it'll ALWAYS be the Sears tower to me) has cool glass ledges you can step out onto now. It's so exhilarating. I actually sat down on one, and looked down.... it's so weird to see the cars 104 stories directly below you! Hopefully you'll get to visit sometime. It's a very unique, fun place to visit!

Omg, I googled "big easy" and didn't get any answers :oops: Haha

Yes, the Sears Tower is gorgeous! I've seen people who've done their wedding/engagement photography there, and it looks breathtaking. It's definitely on my bucket list of places to visit!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1341359448|3228188 said:
Ok, I sent you a message....!! :appl: success at conquering the technology

I just sent you the link =)

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1341360738|3228211 said:
MBKRH|1341356585|3228159 said:
LOL sorry about that! The panhandle is the northern part of the state that touches Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. The Big Easy is New Orleans. :) This is our first vacation together- I'm not anticipating any issues, but who knows. The hot weather and endless driving is bound to make one (or both) of us cranky.

Chicago is beautiful, and the Sears (it'll ALWAYS be the Sears tower to me) has cool glass ledges you can step out onto now. It's so exhilarating. I actually sat down on one, and looked down.... it's so weird to see the cars 104 stories directly below you! Hopefully you'll get to visit sometime. It's a very unique, fun place to visit!

Omg, I googled "big easy" and didn't get any answers :oops: Haha

Yes, the Sears Tower is gorgeous! I've seen people who've done their wedding/engagement photography there, and it looks breathtaking. It's definitely on my bucket list of places to visit!

It's worth it. Not to mention all the delicious food! :love:

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
madelise|1341360205|3228198 said:
!! HAH! Don't do that ring talk in front of your SO too often for your gal pals' rings.. or he'll get you one JUST like it!

When are you coming to the US? Where will you be going? What're you coming for, holiday? Or business?

That's a good point actually...! If I get the chance I always ( obviously on our own) say 'so and so's ring is not my style....' hoping he will ask what is, to lead into a detailed description of what I would like :lol: which hasn't happened yet. I have managed to get out that I wouldn't want to buy from a Perth retail store as it is such a rip off here, and that we should buy loose from the US. I like to make him think he is bringing it up haha.

About the US, we are hoping to go for Xmas/new year, were planning to be there for about five weeks on holiday, fly to LA and drive up to San Francisco, then to Vancouver, whistler and banff in Canada for skiing and to see OH's brother who lives in banff, then to New York for xmas where we would be meeting up with friends, then on to Vegas for new years. However this is now only 5 months away and we have saved NO money for it so I am being realistic and thinking we will have to modify our plans. I would prefer to skip all the Canada parts and go to just Canada the following year so we can spend longer and go to more places, and OH's brother is going to be back here for a visit in September anyway so to me it makes more sense to wait a while before going to see him, rather than twice in a few months then not for a few years! OH is very keen on going snowboarding though, I definitely want to do new York and we both want to do Vegas. I was really keen on doing the LA to SF drive and it seems a shame to not do it as we are coming a long way! Maybe we could just reduce the time spent in each place or something....not sure yet what we will do.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PhillyMcGee|1341368133|3228289 said:
madelise|1341360205|3228198 said:
!! HAH! Don't do that ring talk in front of your SO too often for your gal pals' rings.. or he'll get you one JUST like it!

When are you coming to the US? Where will you be going? What're you coming for, holiday? Or business?

That's a good point actually...! If I get the chance I always ( obviously on our own) say 'so and so's ring is not my style....' hoping he will ask what is, to lead into a detailed description of what I would like :lol: which hasn't happened yet. I have managed to get out that I wouldn't want to buy from a Perth retail store as it is such a rip off here, and that we should buy loose from the US. I like to make him think he is bringing it up haha.

About the US, we are hoping to go for Xmas/new year, were planning to be there for about five weeks on holiday, fly to LA and drive up to San Francisco, then to Vancouver, whistler and banff in Canada for skiing and to see OH's brother who lives in banff, then to New York for xmas where we would be meeting up with friends, then on to Vegas for new years. However this is now only 5 months away and we have saved NO money for it so I am being realistic and thinking we will have to modify our plans. I would prefer to skip all the Canada parts and go to just Canada the following year so we can spend longer and go to more places, and OH's brother is going to be back here for a visit in September anyway so to me it makes more sense to wait a while before going to see him, rather than twice in a few months then not for a few years! OH is very keen on going snowboarding though, I definitely want to do new York and we both want to do Vegas. I was really keen on doing the LA to SF drive and it seems a shame to not do it as we are coming a long way! Maybe we could just reduce the time spent in each place or something....not sure yet what we will do.

Philly, on my bling search I came across this and thought of you :))
http://www.rubylane.com/item/607400-62/Vintage-18k-Yellow-Gold-Baguette

Okay I was wondering if you'd be in LA or NY. You should totally bring up ring browsing or shopping with the DBF, specifically since you're out of country. Yes, Perth is a ridiculously overpriced in diamonds place. We hear it all the time from other Aussie PS-ers. I know it's hard to bring up, especially when he hasn't taken the bait in talking about rings when you tried to lure him into the talk.. but at least you guys can see MORE and see a huge variety while you're here.. something you CAN'T do back home.

If you *DO* do the LA to SF drive, do the big sur drive! It's HOURS long, and you can't get off the coast until you reach either end.. but it's SOO beautiful! I listed a bunch of places to see along the way in a guy's proposal thread.. let me get some clips for you:

"NorCal? Pebble Beach. The Big Sur. Carmel. SF at the top of the "zigzag street" if you guys are urban-y.
SoCal? Newport Beach. or Rancho Palos Verdes. You guys can stay at a resort there overlooking the ocean. It's flipping beautiful."

"I *love* the 17-mile drive and the city of Carmel. Seriously, they are my favorite places in all of California for the view.

If you can handle the longggggg drive through the Big Sur.. or even stop there to stay at a hotel over night.. that'd be better. I think it took us 6? or 7? hours just to drive through it. And there's no way out. There's supposedly a purple sand beach there, but I've never seen it. I guess I never knew it was there while going through there, so I never kept an eye out. You can google more about that if you think that's a cute idea. The view off the Big Sur is to die for. And that would definitely be a way to keep the ocean in, while not being cliche. You're on a cliff! Very very different than the usual beach proposal of someone burying a ring in a sand castle then losing it. Hah!

Pebble beach is an actual beach. It's part of the 17 mile drive. Not an inch of that 17 mile drive is ugly, so if you can just sweep her off her feet with the beautiful Big Sur, then the beautiful scenery and architecture in the 17 mile drive.. it would all be great. There are a million photo opportunities there.

Here are a list of restaurants you guys can stop at in the 17 mile drive/ Pebble Beach area to relax and get out of the car. You can always pop the question there. http://www.pebblebeach.com/dining Or maybe even stay at a resort there for a night."

It actually wasn't 6-7 hours. I think I was thinking of the whole drive, total. The drive through HWY 1 is ~3 hour drive. Here's a good article. http://www.myscenicdrives.com/drives/california/big-sur-coast. IF you go, please look for the purple sand beach!! I want to know where it is :bigsmile:

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Thanks Madelise! Yes the plan was to do the big sur drive in two days and stop overnight somewhere along the way. I hope we can do that still as it sounds amazing, but I don't know how to trim my plans down :( I have reshuffled the schedule a bit and trimmed down from five weeks to 3 1/2 so that seems a bit more acheivable, but of course the flights are still going to cost as much and it is an expensive time of year! OH doesn't seem too keen on cutting out canada this time though. Hopefully we can get ourselves organised soon!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1341267335|3227498 said:
MBKRH|1341259035|3227405 said:
No movement on the engagement field. :knockout:

The bf and I are leaving in a month to go to Florida. We both need a serious getaway from our jobs, so needless to say, August 1st can't come soon enough.

OOH! Tell me about your trip :) I want to go to FL sometime in the next few years, too :)) Not just to pay ms. Audball a visit :naughty: but to try the WARM ocean water! Here in Cali, our water is freezing cold even if it's 110 out! Ooh and Disney world :love: What are you two planning to do, and how long are you going for?
Aww! I would LOVE that! We could go to a wonderful gourmet cafe downtown and check out Gesner's Estate jewelry in person! FUN!!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I was waiting for after my birthday to post (it was yesterday). Just as I suspected, no proposal! I did get a FoodSaver! Okay, I know, so not romantic, but it was on my bday list! I thought he was going to ask last weekend because he arranged an early birthday dinner with my parents. No ring. He works nights (he's a cop in the military) and so we are often ships passing in the night. He did rush home yesterday morning to tell me happy birthday before I went to work. He was supposed to work last night and when I got home, to my surprise, he was here! I thought, of boy, this is it! I opened my gifts, we made a plan to see a movie and when I was getting ready, he shouted that something was wrong with the dog to come right away. Then I was thinking the ring would be around her neck. Nope....he had a chocolate cake with candles. He sang me happy birthday. And then we went to a movie. He was super sweet and did everything right, except one thing.

I am trying so hard to be patient. We started talking about getting engaged a year ago before he went to Iraq. We survived the separation and when he got back, we bought a house. We started looking at rings 6 months ago. He keeps telling me he has a plan, but I am struggling more and more with it. I just have this feeling like he hasn't done anything.

vintagelover

Rough_Rock
Still no proposal for me! :loopy:
I have been going a little stir crazy lately, I have a few close friends planning their weddings and a few of our close friends recently got engaged, so happy for them all but it definately makes the LIWitis come out a bit more! haha
I recently went to try on rings to see what looked good, found a ring that I absolutely adore and so naturally the sales lady wanted to send me home with the details for SO, I let her! I came home and was super excited about it and told him that I tried one on and handed him the details, I regret this now... The details have been sitting on our coffee table since I handed it to him - I think that while he likes getting an idea for what I want I was a little too direct and may have put more pressure on than necessary. Knowing me I just pushed our engagement another year. ahhhh the joys of waiting... :errrr:

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
VintageLover - haven't you been waiting for like 8 or 9 years?? Seems to me like he hasn't felt any pressure at all. I don't know, maybe you are perfectly happy with the way things are but for me there would be a point where you need to have a serious heart to heart.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PhillyMcGee|1341383981|3228395 said:
Thanks Madelise! Yes the plan was to do the big sur drive in two days and stop overnight somewhere along the way. I hope we can do that still as it sounds amazing, but I don't know how to trim my plans down :( I have reshuffled the schedule a bit and trimmed down from five weeks to 3 1/2 so that seems a bit more acheivable, but of course the flights are still going to cost as much and it is an expensive time of year! OH doesn't seem too keen on cutting out canada this time though. Hopefully we can get ourselves organised soon!

3.5 weeks is STILL a great vacation! As I mentioned before, the most I ever took was 5 days :wink2: so I am pretty darn jealous of your time off!

Write down your itinerary. It helps you visualize and see if everything is feasible in the time period you have. Also, it helps you stay "on track" while you're here, rather than get lazy and want to spend a day in with wine :naughty: :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1341415610|3228502 said:

The bf and I are leaving in a month to go to Florida. We both need a serious getaway from our jobs, so needless to say, August 1st can't come soon enough.

OOH! Tell me about your trip :) I want to go to FL sometime in the next few years, too :)) Not just to pay ms. Audball a visit :naughty: but to try the WARM ocean water! Here in Cali, our water is freezing cold even if it's 110 out! Ooh and Disney world :love: What are you two planning to do, and how long are you going for?
Aww! I would LOVE that! We could go to a wonderful gourmet cafe downtown and check out Gesner's Estate jewelry in person! FUN!!

:naughty: Cross your fingers for me that I'll be able to go on a vacation this year! Or next!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mandasand|1341416868|3228523 said:
I was waiting for after my birthday to post (it was yesterday). Just as I suspected, no proposal! I did get a FoodSaver! Okay, I know, so not romantic, but it was on my bday list! I thought he was going to ask last weekend because he arranged an early birthday dinner with my parents. No ring. He works nights (he's a cop in the military) and so we are often ships passing in the night. He did rush home yesterday morning to tell me happy birthday before I went to work. He was supposed to work last night and when I got home, to my surprise, he was here! I thought, of boy, this is it! I opened my gifts, we made a plan to see a movie and when I was getting ready, he shouted that something was wrong with the dog to come right away. Then I was thinking the ring would be around her neck. Nope....he had a chocolate cake with candles. He sang me happy birthday. And then we went to a movie. He was super sweet and did everything right, except one thing.

I am trying so hard to be patient. We started talking about getting engaged a year ago before he went to Iraq. We survived the separation and when he got back, we bought a house. We started looking at rings 6 months ago. He keeps telling me he has a plan, but I am struggling more and more with it. I just have this feeling like he hasn't done anything.

Oh, manda, that sounds lovely!! :appl: He definitely knows how to surprise a gal! Too bad there was no ring, but hey, you got to enjoy a bunch of surprises WITHOUT it having to be part of a proposal! Patience, m'dear ;-) you have a house together already. He's not escaping anytime soon :wink2:

vintagelover

Rough_Rock
mandasand|1341420400|3228553 said:
VintageLover - haven't you been waiting for like 8 or 9 years?? Seems to me like he hasn't felt any pressure at all. I don't know, maybe you are perfectly happy with the way things are but for me there would be a point where you need to have a serious heart to heart.

Yes, you are correct, I have been waiting for that long :oops:
We have had a few serious heart to hearts about it over the years, the last few have been good and all conclude that he is ready (just in the last 6 months or so)- just a matter of when he is going to get off his butt and do it already. For about the past few years he has been harrassed by his family, before that it was mainly me getting all the flack so it is kind of refreshing! haha
The past year or so everytime we go out, he gets questioned on when he is going to pop the magic question by everyone (Friends, family, coworkers, etc.)
I know a few men who have delayed their engagements because of being pestered all the time, I am just trying to be subtle for the next little while as I know he has been feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have set myself a timeline though and if he cant do it before then I am walking away!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
noooo updates here. we started our clinical rotations a couple days ago so that will be keeping us busy for the next 9 months...hopefully there will be some time in the middle of all that where we will find jobs!!! still no idea where either of us will end up so that is the most unnerving thing at the moment. surprisingly my LIW-itis hasn't been that bad even with 2 weddings to go to this month and seeing friends have babies and whatnot. so it's good that work and rotations are keeping me busy. haven't had much time to drool over stones and wedding and pinterest lately hehe. I wish our timeline was more defined/sooner, but like I've said before, I am not expecting anything to happen at least for a couple years just because I don't know if I'll be able to stay in our current city where we go to school because the market is getting saturated and it's getting harder to find jobs. I think once we are able to both get jobs somewhere (and hopefully they are in the same city...) then I might start thinking about it more, but I really wouldn't mind waiting a couple years *after* we have worked for a while as he would certainly have a larger budget to work with once we aren't students anymore!! ;)) :bigsmile:

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
There is no big changes here in NOLA all the stuff is pretty much the same. Since you will have your car I would suggest driving uptown to a restaurant called Jacques Imos. It is very eclectic and amazing. Expect to wait though for a seat. There is always at least an hour waiting list if you don't get there right when they open. If you go and have to wait, walk back up the block and there is a great wine bar that you can hang out and pass the time. If you go you have to try the savory alligator cheesecake for an appetizer! It is the best thing I have ever had and I am a vey picky eater. I always either get the blackened seared tuna or the blackened redfish. They also have an amazing spinach salad that they top with a fried oyster!! It is AMAZING!

As for hotels since you are only going to be there one night I would not do anything fancy! The only hotel I have stayed at downtown were JW Marriot and The Roosevelt. But that was because it was during Mardi Gras and we wanted prime locations. Just check out the deals online and go with one that is closest to the things you want to see.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1341421365|3228561 said:

:naughty: Cross your fingers for me that I'll be able to go on a vacation this year! Or next!

Am I invited?!?! My mother keeps nagging me to visit so I might get around to that in uhhh... like a year? :lol:

cally_b

Rough_Rock
Schafenm|1341322878|3227832 said:
No advancements here! I won't really have any updates until the ring is paid off in a month or so! I truly do not think that I will have anything to report until next year. So LIWitis will hit full throttle after the first of the year. Thankfully nursing school keeps me busy and I don't think about it as much as I would.

Question for you ladies!! I find myself looking a wedding venues, photographers, etc. It is driving me crazy because now I want to go see some of these places and it makes no sense to do so because I do not have a ring!! Is anyone else doing this at all??

Not crazy at all! There's so much to plan for a wedding why not be a little ahead of the game ;))

My ring is coming (eventually!) but we've already gone for a weekend away to check out the venue I have my heart on (a small french inspired B&B which you can book out for the whole weekend)- they book up super quick (as you have to book for exclusive use) so as soon as the question is popped I'll be getting right on it! So glad I did a little visit to make sure it was as good as the photos plus it was an awesome little getaway! Haven't tried on dresses or anything (but drool over mags) figure I will save that for when the ring is on the finger lol.

As far as updates...we're trying to book a few days up the coast either this month or next- but I will try not to let my imagination run away from me :lol:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover|1341422461|3228564 said:
mandasand|1341420400|3228553 said:

Yes, you are correct, I have been waiting for that long :oops:
We have had a few serious heart to hearts about it over the years, the last few have been good and all conclude that he is ready (just in the last 6 months or so)- just a matter of when he is going to get off his butt and do it already. For about the past few years he has been harrassed by his family, before that it was mainly me getting all the flack so it is kind of refreshing! haha
The past year or so everytime we go out, he gets questioned on when he is going to pop the magic question by everyone (Friends, family, coworkers, etc.)
I know a few men who have delayed their engagements because of being pestered all the time, I am just trying to be subtle for the next little while as I know he has been feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have set myself a timeline though and if he cant do it before then I am walking away!

Does *he* know that timeline? Lol, don't walk away too quickly! MY SO is currently being overwhelmed with the talks to the parents, and the setting design process, and I can totally tell. If we didn't already have a goal date that's coming up for a wedding, I bet he'd avoid actually popping the Q for a much longer time. It's stressful for the guys!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1341433659|3228630 said:
noooo updates here. we started our clinical rotations a couple days ago so that will be keeping us busy for the next 9 months...hopefully there will be some time in the middle of all that where we will find jobs!!! still no idea where either of us will end up so that is the most unnerving thing at the moment. surprisingly my LIW-itis hasn't been that bad even with 2 weddings to go to this month and seeing friends have babies and whatnot. so it's good that work and rotations are keeping me busy. haven't had much time to drool over stones and wedding and pinterest lately hehe. I wish our timeline was more defined/sooner, but like I've said before, I am not expecting anything to happen at least for a couple years just because I don't know if I'll be able to stay in our current city where we go to school because the market is getting saturated and it's getting harder to find jobs. I think once we are able to both get jobs somewhere (and hopefully they are in the same city...) then I might start thinking about it more, but I really wouldn't mind waiting a couple years *after* we have worked for a while as he would certainly have a larger budget to work with once we aren't students anymore!! ;)) :bigsmile:

Are you guys planning to work in hospitals? In stand-alone private businesses? In chain pharmacies? Will you guys be applying together, and be each other's competition?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJL|1341439616|3228681 said:
madelise|1341421365|3228561 said:

Am I invited?!?! My mother keeps nagging me to visit so I might get around to that in uhhh... like a year? :lol:

Well, I confirmed with the SO that we will not be going on vacation this year. ;( I want to go to NYC so badly, but yeah.. with the E-ring purchase, the moms' gifts, dress searching, venue scouting.. etc.. Oh, poo.

Maybe next year :bigsmile: for Spring Break? It's my birthdayyyyy then!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1341774905|3230613 said:
Are you guys planning to work in hospitals? In stand-alone private businesses? In chain pharmacies? Will you guys be applying together, and be each other's competition?

Everything is still up in the air as the market keeps getting saturated and I am still back and forth on what I want to do. Hopefully after some more rotations and after I get some interviews I can have a better idea of what area of practice I might be headed. The worst thing that is up in the air is I don't even know what city we'll end up in. He goes back and forth about wanting to stay here where we go to school and where I am from, and going back home to his hometown which is a small town in the middle of nowhere. I am not a country girl by any means, so I have no idea how that would go....plus I've still not even visited his hometown. We've toyed around with the idea of owning our own pharmacy but that wouldn't be something I would want to start with right out of school because I don't think I would be ready to deal with that business aspect. So it's all pretty nerve-wracking and the biggest source of insecurity about our relationship and future :blackeye:

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow, this summer is just FLYING by! I've been meaning to post an update for weeks, but haven't gotten around to it, so this is perfect.

MayFlowers, I totally feel you... we have been going to weddings and engagement parties what feels like every single weekend, and it makes it harder and harder to be patient. We've had fun traveling all over the place for weddings at least, and we have one in NYC in August, and I have already told SO that we are going to IDJ to get martini settings for a pair of spinels that I want to wear as earrings, which will also serve as a convenient educational experience and possibly a visit to Leon since he's so close by!

SO usually comes home with me for about a week when I go see my family in my hometown, but this summer things are just too crazy at work for him so I am going solo and he plans to come with me for Christmas this time. I'm happy with that plan, except I'll be home for about a month with my cousins who are either expecting their first babies after getting married last summer, or engaged, so it's always a bit tough to endure. We had discussed getting engaged before January (since I will be leaving the country for a year of research in Europe), so I thought this summer trip would be a good opportunity for SO to talk to my parents (he really wants to get their blessing, we're traditional about some stuff like that), but now it will wait until Christmas time if it happens at all.

I can't decide if I'd want to be engaged in the fall before I leave so we can celebrate with my family in December, and then I can go away with the "extra" emotional security of being engaged (I know the long distance will be tough, but not unbearable since we're already pseudo-long-distance now), or if it would be more fun to get engaged in Europe when he comes to visit me in the spring. Of course, neither option could happen and I'll be left wondering, but we have been talking about the part that comes AFTER engagement a lot lately, so I trust that he has a plan.

audball

Ideal_Rock
DEFINITELY!! :appl:

Lislis89

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

I must admit I have been a little obsessed with engagement things as of late and its nice to hear that I am not the only one!!!!! :wink2:

I originally thought that the actual ring purchase would not happen until december this year, however the BF suggested buying it ASAP because of the conversion from our aussie dollar to US dollar at the moment!!!
This may seem like the LIW-itis cure but I was a little apprehensive as I dont love the idea of having the ring in the house but not officially being able to have it on my finger for 6+ months, although I got reassured that it wouldnt be that long. We talk about getting engaged, marriage etc. really openll and I am very excited to start a different chapter of my life with him as soon as we have the ring organised!

I have done most of the research etc on diamonds and rings therefore I am the main contact for any ring related things too! Which is a little annoying but at the same time endearing because the BF knows that I am happy doing it (which makes him happy)!!!!

At the moment I am sourcing a .90ct princess from whiteflash's Virtual selection for asets, photos etc (of which Victoria has been extremely helpful and understanding!) and I am definitely having it set with them in one of these two settings either their petite pave open cathedral or their amphora for princess halo..... but this is a small struggle I face.... that BF cant seem to help me with either (his answer is ' you are going to wear it not me, so whichever one you prefer...')

_169.jpg

halo.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1341878930|3231252 said:
DEFINITELY!! :appl:

Didn't realize I didn't actually respond. But I meant yes, come, when I do go! But it looks like you LIWs are planning an east coast NY visit before I ever will get a chance to get out of CA ;(

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1341794557|3230776 said:
madelise|1341774905|3230613 said:

Everything is still up in the air as the market keeps getting saturated and I am still back and forth on what I want to do. Hopefully after some more rotations and after I get some interviews I can have a better idea of what area of practice I might be headed. The worst thing that is up in the air is I don't even know what city we'll end up in. He goes back and forth about wanting to stay here where we go to school and where I am from, and going back home to his hometown which is a small town in the middle of nowhere. I am not a country girl by any means, so I have no idea how that would go....plus I've still not even visited his hometown. We've toyed around with the idea of owning our own pharmacy but that wouldn't be something I would want to start with right out of school because I don't think I would be ready to deal with that business aspect. So it's all pretty nerve-wracking and the biggest source of insecurity about our relationship and future :blackeye:

<3 all this unsuredness will end pretty darn soon! :wavey: I'm counting down to your graduation right there with ya! *E-Hugs*!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
petit_bijou|1341841763|3230973 said:
Holy cow, this summer is just FLYING by! I've been meaning to post an update for weeks, but haven't gotten around to it, so this is perfect.

MayFlowers, I totally feel you... we have been going to weddings and engagement parties what feels like every single weekend, and it makes it harder and harder to be patient. We've had fun traveling all over the place for weddings at least, and we have one in NYC in August, and I have already told SO that we are going to IDJ to get martini settings for a pair of spinels that I want to wear as earrings, which will also serve as a convenient educational experience and possibly a visit to Leon since he's so close by!

SO usually comes home with me for about a week when I go see my family in my hometown, but this summer things are just too crazy at work for him so I am going solo and he plans to come with me for Christmas this time. I'm happy with that plan, except I'll be home for about a month with my cousins who are either expecting their first babies after getting married last summer, or engaged, so it's always a bit tough to endure. We had discussed getting engaged before January (since I will be leaving the country for a year of research in Europe), so I thought this summer trip would be a good opportunity for SO to talk to my parents (he really wants to get their blessing, we're traditional about some stuff like that), but now it will wait until Christmas time if it happens at all.

I can't decide if I'd want to be engaged in the fall before I leave so we can celebrate with my family in December, and then I can go away with the "extra" emotional security of being engaged (I know the long distance will be tough, but not unbearable since we're already pseudo-long-distance now), or if it would be more fun to get engaged in Europe when he comes to visit me in the spring. Of course, neither option could happen and I'll be left wondering, but we have been talking about the part that comes AFTER engagement a lot lately, so I trust that he has a plan.

Don't worry about deciding when you want to be engaged.. let him have that fun part :)) and distance makes the heart grow fonder, love! Or so they say :wink2:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lislis89|1341903364|3231481 said:
Hey everyone!

I must admit I have been a little obsessed with engagement things as of late and its nice to hear that I am not the only one!!!!! :wink2:

I originally thought that the actual ring purchase would not happen until december this year, however the BF suggested buying it ASAP because of the conversion from our aussie dollar to US dollar at the moment!!!
This may seem like the LIW-itis cure but I was a little apprehensive as I dont love the idea of having the ring in the house but not officially being able to have it on my finger for 6+ months, although I got reassured that it wouldnt be that long. We talk about getting engaged, marriage etc. really openll and I am very excited to start a different chapter of my life with him as soon as we have the ring organised!

I have done most of the research etc on diamonds and rings therefore I am the main contact for any ring related things too! Which is a little annoying but at the same time endearing because the BF knows that I am happy doing it (which makes him happy)!!!!

At the moment I am sourcing a .90ct princess from whiteflash's Virtual selection for asets, photos etc (of which Victoria has been extremely helpful and understanding!) and I am definitely having it set with them in one of these two settings either their petite pave open cathedral or their amphora for princess halo..... but this is a small struggle I face.... that BF cant seem to help me with either (his answer is ' you are going to wear it not me, so whichever one you prefer...')

No, being obsessed with engagement things is NOT something you're alone on! I'm not yet engaged, and who knows when he will actually propose regardless of when the ring is done.. but I have a tentative date chosen, and a tentative dress chosen.. I have my shoes already.. I have a few photographers.. I have ideas of what I want as centerpieces for the reception… and how I want the invitations to be! :wink2: So if you think you're nuts looking at diamonds… I need to be locked up! I always need to be researching something, and this has been my sanity from school work (although I think this is driving me insane too!).

What's going on with the $ conversion in Australia? What's going to happen?

I thought that WF's virtual selection means that they don't have it in-house, so that there aren't any photos or ASETs available? Are you calling them in for them to evaluate? My SO has the same philosophy behind my setting, too. I think they're scared that if they choose something, you'll end up not favoring it as much later, and put some blame on them :lol:

I'm no help with princesses.. but I prefer the non halo setting you posted over the halo setting. I feel it makes the stone pop more w/o the halo, and with the thinner shank… or what appears to be a thinner shank? They're 2 different profiles so I can't really tell too much. What size finger are you, and what will be the rough estimate mm of the stone? Are you looking for more finger coverage? Or something timeless?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results