color
clarity

Mint tourmaline from litnon

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Clarity VS Top eye clean gemstone!
Cut: Well cut and polished trillion shape
Color: Slightly bluish mint green!
Treatment: None guaranteed 100% natural!
Note: Bright, clean and pretty natural Tourmaline from Afghanistan with beautiful color! Slightly bluish green depending on the light source.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was described as slight bluish green mint tourmaline
I don't quite see any blue undertone, but a yellow undertone...lol From picture maybe yes, but hard to see bluish IRL
And it's not eye clean, seeing from front, there is a little black dot, and has a inclusion or small crack seeing from behind...
Other than these, it's close to their picture
Here is the vendor picture

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
And here is mine

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
One more

This picture is pretty minty, mainly due to my camera is making everything minty...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The color looks great, but the crack should have been mentioned. Do you think you'll keep it?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1341680968|3230148 said:
The color looks great, but the crack should have been mentioned. Do you think you'll keep it?

I really don't know...Wanna hear more opinions from you guys

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, for me it would have several strikes against it -
1. not clean on face - the black dot would bother me
2. not clean on bottom - this inclusion or possible fracture would definitely bother me
3. not blue-ish green

Trillions are not my favorite shape/cut but I can persuaded if the color is exactly what I'm looking for and if the cut is well-executed - and this Trillion does seem to be very nice.

I am a fan of Tourmalines in general and green Tourmalines in particular - but if you want a yellowish-green Tourmaline I think you could easily find one that is eyeclean.

If you want a blue-ish green Tourmaline I think you will be able to find one that is eyeclean, it just may take a little while longer...

If you're on the fence on whether to keep it or not, re-examine what drove you to purchase it in the first place - was it the color depicted in the photo? the fact it was described as VS clean? the provenance of Afghanistan?

If basically you like the stone but only paid the price believing it was eyeclean and/or blue-ish green, maybe you could contact Litnon about the clarity/color discrepancy and see what Michael says - maybe a price correction is appropriate in this situation.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
marymm|1341690540|3230218 said:
Well, for me it would have several strikes against it -
1. not clean on face - the black dot would bother me
2. not clean on bottom - this inclusion or possible fracture would definitely bother me
3. not blue-ish green

Trillions are not my favorite shape/cut but I can persuaded if the color is exactly what I'm looking for and if the cut is well-executed - and this Trillion does seem to be very nice.

I am a fan of Tourmalines in general and green Tourmalines in particular - but if you want a yellowish-green Tourmaline I think you could easily find one that is eyeclean.

If you want a blue-ish green Tourmaline I think you will be able to find one that is eyeclean, it just may take a little while longer...

If you're on the fence on whether to keep it or not, re-examine what drove you to purchase it in the first place - was it the color depicted in the photo? the fact it was described as VS clean? the provenance of Afghanistan?

If basically you like the stone but only paid the price believing it was eyeclean and/or blue-ish green, maybe you could contact Litnon about the clarity/color discrepancy and see what Michael says - maybe a price correction is appropriate in this situation.

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I have contacted them and see if there will be a price correction.
I bought this because I love TL's mint garnet, and want to find something similar, than i saw this mint tourmaline, color is pretty and it does show a bluish undertone from the picture, plus it's eye clean. Price is pretty good too($70 per carat). Because I couldn't find any merelani mint garnet, I choose this one.
The color still falls into the mint category.Not as bluish as in the picture, but still a pretty stone. If it is really eye clean, I will not hesitate about keeping it. I know on ebay you may found something similar and less expensive, but it takes time and energy and good luck, at least I won't bother wondering if it is a real tourmaline buying from litnon. That's pretty much why I bought it.

Thanks again.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If it is eye clean & the crack on the bottom isn't something that will compromise the stone's integrity, & if you like the color, keep it. I'm not a trillion fan either, but from what I see on my monitor, it's an attractive color & good size & cut, plus your camera caught nice dispersion.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
More pictures of the crack...I don't think this can pass an eye clean clarity....I like the color and cutting a lot...It's really a little disappointing

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OTL|1341780045|3230672 said:
More pictures of the crack...I don't think this can pass an eye clean clarity....I like the color and cutting a lot...It's really a little disappointing
Depends on your definition of eyeclean. I believe the trade's definition of eyeclean is "12 inches away and face up". I tend to like that definition, and I think that it's probably accurate in this case with this stone.

Also, that looks more like a feather inclusion than a crack.

Can you see the feather from face up? If you can't, I would say it's eye clean. The black dot (I can't see it in the pictures, but I haven't exactly studied them) is another issue.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1341781965|3230686 said:
OTL|1341780045|3230672 said:
Depends on your definition of eyeclean. I believe the trade's definition of eyeclean is "12 inches away and face up". I tend to like that definition, and I think that it's probably accurate in this case with this stone.

Also, that looks more like a feather inclusion than a crack.

Can you see the feather from face up? If you can't, I would say it's eye clean. The black dot (I can't see it in the pictures, but I haven't exactly studied them) is another issue.

Oh, I have no idea that it could be a feather inclusion too. Never heard of this before, my first thought is a crack due to the light reflection. I can't see this inclusion face up, but do see other inclusions face up with a 12" distance. Maybe my eyes are just too sharp?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is decently priced - colour, size and cutting all makes it a good package. Clarity is graded face up only so the feather seen on the underside doesn't count if you cannot spot it from the top. Even the black "dot" can only be seen at a very specific angle. How is the indoor colour shift? I did not like trilliants much in the past but have come to a new appreciation of it rather recently.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results