shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC without a culet?

icpa1

Rough_Rock
Dear All,

I recently bought a diamond ring from eBay. The seller described the diamond as an OEC, SI1, K, 4.8-4.9mm in diamter, approx. 0.46 ct.

I'm very pleased with the way the diamond performs. However, I noticed that the diamond doesn't seem to have a culet - not even a tiny one. In fact, the tip of the pavillion seems quite pointy. Neither do I see a culet from the top no matter how closely I look.

I am attaching 3 pictures - 1st is from the seller, 2nd is a photo which I took, and the 3rd is a close crop of the 2nd photo (pardon the little flecks of dust). Picture 1 shows the pointy tip, while pictures 2 and 3 show the facet pattern (quite hard to capture but this is the best I got) and the lack of a culet when viewed from the top.

My question is - is it possible for an OEC not to have a culet? If not, does this mean my diamond is not an OEC but some other cut entirely?

Will appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!

cpwg_015.jpg

img_0165.jpg

oec.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a very pretty late-oec/early-transitional diamond! High crown, symmetrical, and great pattern!

It's possible that they were experimenting with cuts at the time and this one was cut w/o a culet. I wouldn't worry about it.

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I'd say it was a transitional cut with a closed culet -- I'm basing that on nothing more than the chunkier pavilion facets, though. Those with more knowledge might be able to tell you more, though. I myself often wonder what the difference is between a certain kind of transitional and a poorly cut MRB, if that makes any sense.

I bought my stone via eBay as well at it was classified as an OEC (well, according to the GAL grading report :lol: ), but it's actually a transitional with an open culet.

Do you have any of the info re: angles and percentages? That might make it easier to classify.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tranny. Beautiful one too.

icpa1

Rough_Rock
Thank you, ForteKitty, elliemay and Gypsy, for all your input and kind words!

@elliemay, unfortunately, I have no information re: angles and percentages. I live outside the US and the cost of unsetting the diamond and shipping it to a reputable lab is prohibitive. Maybe in the future if I get curious enough. :read: But right now, after having worn her for a few days,I think I will leave her the way she is. I'm not a fan of yellow gold but something about this particular diamond in this particular setting just looks...right.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Yep, here's a stone I used to have with a closed culet although it was supposedly cut about 1890. The technology of the time did not necessitate an open culet but it was usually put there to protect the point from breakage and/or show that the cutter had made efficient use of the rough crystal.

gemsforsale_052.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results