shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
It looks like Princess Charlene wore her dimond earrings that match her Diamond Foam Tiara.

To those of you that know French, here is a link to a video of Her Serene Highness trying on the tiara and earrings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is169_mhgjQ

louis_vuitton_new_boutique_opening_paris_fashion_vf9lq-6c7csl.jpg

diamondfoamtiara.jpg

Gabriellehb

Rough_Rock
When George VI died Queen Mary was still alive so you really couldn't have two Queen Dowagers at the same time.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AmayasV|1341456399|3228770 said:
Happy Birthday to HRH Princess Chulabhorn Walailak ,the youngest daughter of HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej and HM Queen Sirikit of Thailand.

Happy belated Birthday, Your Royal Highness!
This is an interesting bracelet she's wearing in the first photo. And look at the size of those pearls!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1341468888|3228789 said:
It looks like Princess Charlene wore her dimond earrings that match her Diamond Foam Tiara.

To those of you that know French, here is a link to a video of Her Serene Highness trying on the tiara and earrings:

They look nice! I didn't link them to the aigrette at first. It's interesting that we see this pair 1 year after the wedding ;-) Or have we seen them before? Or maybe this is yet another one-time loan? We'll see, won't we?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today at the Service for the Order of the Thistle in Edinburgh, The Queen wore her earrings and bracelet from the emerald and diamond tassel set from Sheikh Zayed of the UAE: Photo1. Her Majesty added the matching necklace before the lunch*: Photo2

The Princess Royal wore her pearl choker with large diamond clasp and simple pearl and diamond earrings (beneath the robe was the dress HRH wore at the EoW's wedding in 1999): Photo3

The Countess of Strathearn wore her citrine drop earrings: Photo4

*This is something I like about The Queen - she rarely goes without a necklace, even for daytime events.

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1341523330|3229098 said:
sunshine996|1341468888|3228789 said:

They look nice! I didn't link them to the aigrette at first. It's interesting that we see this pair 1 year after the wedding ;-) Or have we seen them before? Or maybe this is yet another one-time loan? We'll see, won't we?

Bobby

I think that this is the first time that she has worn these earrings to a public event. They were given to her along with the tiara, so they aren't a loan. ;-) In the video you can see her wearing the earrings when she tries on the tiara.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1341524136|3229106 said:
Today at the Service for the Order of the Thistle in Edinburgh, The Queen wore her earrings and bracelet from the emerald and diamond tassel set from Sheikh Zayed of the UAE: Photo1. Her Majesty added the matching necklace before the lunch*: Photo2

The Princess Royal wore her pearl choker with large diamond clasp and simple pearl and diamond earrings (beneath the robe was the dress HRH wore at the EoW's wedding in 1999): Photo3

The Countess of Strathearn wore her citrine drop earrings: Photo4

*This is something I like about The Queen - she rarely goes without a necklace, even for daytime events.

Bobby
Congratulations to Prince William!

I really like HM's emerald and diamond set*. It is elegant and the emeralds really stand out against the Queen's dress.

I'm kind of suprised that HM didn't loan the Countess of Strathern a brooch. Does she have a thistle brooch, or am I just making one up? :confused:

*The Middle Eastern Royals always give wonderful jewel sets/parures, don't they?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You're not making it up, Sunshine. The Scottish thistle brooch was a gift to her in 1960 when she opened the Queen's Bridge in Perth. Looks a bit larger than what Catherine wears at this point.

Bobby, your comment about the Queen's wearing a necklace reminded me of this video -- part of a series made while she sat for a portrait. At about 8.50 she talks about her jewels ("I don't wear much jewelry usually, unless I have to.") -- wish that conversation had lasted longer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwSbFiX17gs&feature=relmfu

--- Laurie

q13359911836420934.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Ah! It is a little bit larger than what Catherine wears, but she needs to "upgrade" sometime! :lol:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You ain't kiddin'! I wish she'd start now. However, I doubt HM would offer her this piece; didn't she wear it just recently at Ascot or somewhere like that?

--- Laurie

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
I think so, on day four. Her horse, Estimate, won and Prince Philip presented her with the trophy.

Catherine really needs to embrace brooches. They add interest and sophistication to any outfit. HM has some smaller brocches that she can start out with until she becomes more comfortable with wearing them.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Or William could give her some! Where's the "drool" emotie?

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Haha! Seriously! William needs to give her some heirloom jewelry, no more new stuff!

Out of all of HM's brooches, which one is your favorite? Which one would you like to see Catherine, and/or Camilla wear?

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1341414930|3228496 said:
Just remembered something!!! I know that in The Queen's Diamonds Roberts writes that the Greville tiara (the one that now commonly worn by The Duchess of Cornwall) was made in 1921 using stones from a tiara that had been made for Mrs. Greville in 1901. Perhaps the "ginkgo tiara" is the original jewel? I know that the original tiara is illustrated in the book, so anyone who has it (Lady Maria?) can confirm/deny my theory!

Best,
Bobby

Your theory is correct Bobby! From "The Queen's Diamonds: The Greville Tiara"

"The tiara was created fro Mr. Greville in 1921 by Lucien Hirtz, chief desinger of Boucheron in Paris. Boucheron used stones taken from a diadem that the firm had made for Mrs. Greville (again, using her own diamonds) in 1901, which, by the 1920s was felt to be old-fashioned in shape and style. The new tiara, modern in its strongly geometrical honeycomb design, was one of the most striking and unusual of the jewels inherited from Mrs. Greville by Queen Elizabeth in 1942."

"Queen Elizabeth wore teh tiara- perhaps for the first time in public- during the 1947 State Visit to South Africa. In 1953, Cartier was commissioned to increase the height of the tiara by rearranging the clusters of graduated brilliants at the top into triangles, adding brilliants from one of the Queen's brooches that had been unset by Cartier in 1949, and a central marquise. The tiara, which became Queen Elizabeth's most frequently worn head ornaments, was inherited by the Queen in 2002 and has since been loaned to The Duchess of Cornwall."

Maria's note: they do show a picture of the ginkgo tiara to illustrate this. But can we say the gingko is the "original" jewel since it was made from Mrs. Greville's own diamonds? What were the diamonds used for before they were in the ginkgo tiara? And what brooch was unset to provide diamonds for the remake of the Honeycomb tiara?

We have answered one question, only to have created two more questions! :o

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1341615368|3229793 said:
prince.of.preslav|1341414930|3228496 said:
Just remembered something!!! I know that in The Queen's Diamonds Roberts writes that the Greville tiara (the one that now commonly worn by The Duchess of Cornwall) was made in 1921 using stones from a tiara that had been made for Mrs. Greville in 1901. Perhaps the "ginkgo tiara" is the original jewel? I know that the original tiara is illustrated in the book, so anyone who has it (Lady Maria?) can confirm/deny my theory!

Best,
Bobby

Your theory is correct Bobby! From "The Queen's Diamonds: The Greville Tiara"

"The tiara was created fro Mr. Greville in 1921 by Lucien Hirtz, chief desinger of Boucheron in Paris. Boucheron used stones taken from a diadem that the firm had made for Mrs. Greville (again, using her own diamonds) in 1901, which, by the 1920s was felt to be old-fashioned in shape and style. The new tiara, modern in its strongly geometrical honeycomb design, was one of the most striking and unusual of the jewels inherited from Mrs. Greville by Queen Elizabeth in 1942."

"Queen Elizabeth wore teh tiara- perhaps for the first time in public- during the 1947 State Visit to South Africa. In 1953, Cartier was commissioned to increase the height of the tiara by rearranging the clusters of graduated brilliants at the top into triangles, adding brilliants from one of the Queen's brooches that had been unset by Cartier in 1949, and a central marquise. The tiara, which became Queen Elizabeth's most frequently worn head ornaments, was inherited by the Queen in 2002 and has since been loaned to The Duchess of Cornwall."

Maria's note: they do show a picture of the ginkgo tiara to illustrate this. But can we say the gingko is the "original" jewel since it was made from Mrs. Greville's own diamonds? What were the diamonds used for before they were in the ginkgo tiara? And what brooch was unset to provide diamonds for the remake of the Honeycomb tiara?

We have answered one question, only to have created two more questions! :o

Yay! Thank you LadyMaria! :wavey: Its interesting that she also dismantled another tiara and a brooch. I guess the tiara and brooch were from her private collection.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1341585153|3229441 said:
You're not making it up, Sunshine. The Scottish thistle brooch was a gift to her in 1960 when she opened the Queen's Bridge in Perth. Looks a bit larger than what Catherine wears at this point.

Actually, if you read the description of the brooch in the book and in the press of the time, you'll see that there are quite a lot of differences. The only thing that matches is the number of the amethysts ;-)

Bobby, your comment about the Queen's wearing a necklace reminded me of this video -- part of a series made while she sat for a portrait. At about 8.50 she talks about her jewels ("I don't wear much jewelry usually, unless I have to.") -- wish that conversation had lasted longer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwSbFiX17gs&feature=relmfu

--- Laurie

Yes, I remember this video. It was really interesting to hear Elizabeth II speak about jewels. HM also says that her grandmother "altered a lot" and reveals that the very long pearl necklace Queen Alexandra wore at the 1901 SOoP still exists. Ahhh...if only they had continued talking about jewels...

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1341613099|3229772 said:
Haha! Seriously! William needs to give her some heirloom jewelry, no more new stuff!

Out of all of HM's brooches, which one is your favorite? Which one would you like to see Catherine, and/or Camilla wear?

Hmm... Out of The Queen's brooches, I love the ones with the Cullinan diamonds, Queen Victoria and Queen Mary's bow brooches and Queen Adelaide's brooch. Also like Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond brooch (the one that matches her necklace) and the Duchess of Cambridge's pearl pendant brooch. Not to forget Queen Mary's Russian brooch and Maria Feodorovna's sapphire and pearl brooch.
I'd love to see Catherine with a small/medium sized diamond brooch. Probably a clip.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1341615368|3229793 said:
Your theory is correct Bobby!
[...]

YES! YES! YES! Thank you so much, Lady Maria, for confirming my theory!

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
Bangkok 07/07/2012 King Bhumibol and Queen sirikit on boat trip to observe life around Ko Kret.

Their Majesties the King and the Queen of Thailand ,accompanied by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, will leave Siriraj Hospital’s pier at 4.30 p.m. and board the Angsana Boat where the Navy Commander-in-Chief awaits to give him a briefing. The boat will then take the royalty on a ride along the Chao Phraya, allowing them to admire the landscape on both sides of the river. The boat will be heading north towards Nonthaburi and running through the Khlong Lat Kret and Khlong Oam Kret around the famous Ko Kret Islet of this province. The ride is expected to take about 2 hours before the boat heads to the Royal Irrigation Department’s pier.

g97ifeia68879eg7iaa68.jpg
jjc5bkbbb9ba7568keb8f.jpg
e9fgk7iai5cbba66fbbbf.jpg

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
AmayasV|1341665012|3230029 said:
Bangkok 07/07/2012 King Bhumibol and Queen sirikit on boat trip to observe life around Ko Kret.

Their Majesties the King and the Queen of Thailand ,accompanied by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, will leave Siriraj Hospital’s pier at 4.30 p.m. and board the Angsana Boat where the Navy Commander-in-Chief awaits to give him a briefing. The boat will then take the royalty on a ride along the Chao Phraya, allowing them to admire the landscape on both sides of the river. The boat will be heading north towards Nonthaburi and running through the Khlong Lat Kret and Khlong Oam Kret around the famous Ko Kret Islet of this province. The ride is expected to take about 2 hours before the boat heads to the Royal Irrigation Department’s pier.

g97ifeia68879eg7iaa68.jpg
jjc5bkbbb9ba7568keb8f.jpg
e9fgk7iai5cbba66fbbbf.jpg

Queen Sirikit, in the picture with her daughter, appears to have four arms - am I being totally stupid here? Is there someone behind her, or what?

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1341658128|3230004 said:
sunshine996|1341613099|3229772 said:

Hmm... Out of The Queen's brooches, I love the ones with the Cullinan diamonds, Queen Victoria and Queen Mary's bow brooches and Queen Adelaide's brooch. Also like Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond brooch (the one that matches her necklace) and the Duchess of Cambridge's pearl pendant brooch. Not to forget Queen Mary's Russian brooch and Maria Feodorovna's sapphire and pearl brooch.
I'd love to see Catherine with a small/medium sized diamond brooch. Probably a clip.

Very beautiful, classic pieces!

I would like to see her in some Cullinans, the emerald brooch from India that has a rose carved on it (forgot the name!), any sapphire brooch, any pearl brooch, Cambridge emerald pendant brooch, Queen Mary's stomachers, the Women of Hampshire brooch, or the Flame Lily brooch ;-) .

It is wonderful that Queen Alexndra's pearl necklace is still around! I wonder if it is in good enough condition to be worn?

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Back in June, Queen Margrethe received a new tiara from Greenland fro her 40th year on the throne. She also had matching earrings made. The tiara and earrings are made of gold and hav little diamonds in the center of the flowers.

_naasut1.jpg

a6191177cadf23271331885f73f9af04.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Yes, sunshine, we have previously discussed the golden tiara.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Actually, if you read the description of the brooch in the book and in the press of the time, you'll see that there are quite a lot of differences. The only thing that matches is the number of the amethysts

This has come up on every royal jewel discussion I've read on various forums, Bobby. You're right, of course -- I don't see any pearls or anything resembling grass or ferns. There seems to be general agreement that this does not look like the description but since it has the same number of amethysts & nothing else the Queen wears is closer, this must the be brooch. I didn't go into all that in my post, probably should have.

It's best expressed by Order of Splendor in her blog:

"This brooch is often identified as one given to the Queen when she opened the Queen's Bridge in Perth, Scotland in 1960. The association is based on a description in Leslie Field’s book The Queen’s Jewels which reads as follows:

The brooch is a miniature flower bouquet with seven amethyst buds surrounded by white and yellow gold ferns and grasses, with a central group of twelve freshwater mauve-tinted pearls from the River Tay.
Though we do have seven amethysts present, I’m not personally convinced this is the River Tay brooch as it doesn’t necessarily match up in other respects: we're missing some serious pearl power for a brooch that was described at the time as a pearl brooch (and was intended to showcase local pearls - if they're there at all, they're teensy), and she doesn't seem to have any inclination to wear this in Perth (when she is typically very good at little nods like that). I will use what seems to be a popular name for it, the Amethyst Bouquet Brooch, nevertheless."

Did you see that she has started a 2nd blog on QE's jewels? http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/ Should be super -- her research is excellent & she gives me a laugh every day. Wish I knew who she is.

--- Laurie

_amethystbouquetbrooch.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
BubblyBear|1341782771|3230690 said:
Yes, sunshine, we have previously discussed the golden tiara.
Oops! Sorry, I didn't see that!

JewelFreak,

Thank you for the new information! I wonder where the brooch with the pearls, the real Perth Brooch, is then. Why hasn't HM worn it?

Thank you for the link. I love his/her original blog!

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
No worries, sunshine! It just gets a little....old.....discussing things we recently touched upon.

I, too, am an avid reader of the Order of Splendor. She makes me lol.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Isn't she a stitch, BB? I really enjoy that blog, plus it's full of good info. Not to mention pics.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1341785699|3230706 said:
This has come up on every royal jewel discussion I've read on various forums, Bobby. You're right, of course -- I don't see any pearls or anything resembling grass or ferns. There seems to be general agreement that this does not look like the description but since it has the same number of amethysts & nothing else the Queen wears is closer, this must the be brooch. I didn't go into all that in my post, probably should have.

It's best expressed by Order of Splendor in her blog:

[...]

--- Laurie

Thank you, Laurie, for providing the description from the ROoSS. It does make one wonder why Her Majesty doesn't wear this brooch. Perhaps Angela Kelly is now aware of the link to Perth or the design is not appealing? Who knows...
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1341841981|3230976 said:
Isn't she a stitch, BB? I really enjoy that blog, plus it's full of good info. Not to mention pics.

--- Laurie

I really like the blog, too! Actually, I'm always waiting for the Fashion Awards after grand royal events. Of course, I enjoy the jewel-related posts (tiaras, the Queen's Top 10 Diamonds, etc) most. Sometimes there are minor mistakes, but who doesn't make them :razz:

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
YOU don't make them, Bobby! :appl: And you don't let us make them!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results