shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
It's interesting that the Teck Cresent Tiara is now with Camilla. It is not a tall tiara so maybe it gets lost in her hair? I like this tiara and I would love to see it worn again, but perhaps on a younger Royal. It seems a little too girlie/delicate for Camilla's tastes. I wonder if she also has the matching necklace.

I agree that the Burmese Ruby tiara is a poor design. I have seen the sketches and it looks better on paper than in real life. I think that if I were the Queen, I would've sent it back to the Crown Jeweler to be redone. Then again I don't like the design of a lot of HM's newer tiaras.

P.S. I'm on going to be away for a few days, so I probably won't be able to post everyday.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1340840815|3224763 said:
I just got my copy of the Queen's Diamonds! This book is AMAZING!!!!!!! :appl: It makes the Suzy Menkes book on the queen's jewelry look like a preschool primer. :o The pictures are gorgeous and big, some even fold out for you to see the diamonds in all their glory. There are lots of pictures of the backs and sides too, which I find most interesting. I've just glanced through a few things, but I suspect I'll be up very VERY late reading! ;-)

One tidbit I found quite intriguing...it claims the Teck Crescent tiara (one that was discussed for the Duchess of Cambridge for her wedding) is now in the hands of the Duchess of Cornwall. She's never worn it though.

I'll share more as I read.

Just from my first glances, I would say this is a must have for die-hard royal jewelry fanatics. It's not cheap (about US$ 70) but I'd say it's worth every penny!

Congratulations Maria! I know that this is a wonderful book with much valuable information regarding British royal jewels. I still don't have the book. Haven't even ordered it, but maybe later this year I will...

Something else that is interesting is that apparently the necklace that Queen Mary wore at the Durbar has no connection to the Ladies of India, as previously stated by the Royal Collection ;-)
A personal request - I know that the book features a detailed story of the Cambridge emeralds. Can you give us (me) a summery, please?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1340845712|3224829 said:
Lady Maria-

Can you be more specific about this? Do you know whether the tiara was given to her or merely lent to her?

AGBF
:read:

I'm not Lady Maria, but I can tell you that the tiara was loaned to The Duchess of Cornwall. It seems that The Queen now doesn't *give* jewels but simply *loans* them their wearers. Thus, the Duchess of Teck's tiara (as Roberts calls it) is one of the three tiaras that have been loaned to The Duchess. It is up to HRH when and if she is going to wear them.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340857898|3224961 said:
It's interesting that the Teck Cresent Tiara is now with Camilla. It is not a tall tiara so maybe it gets lost in her hair? I like this tiara and I would love to see it worn again, but perhaps on a younger Royal. It seems a little too girlie/delicate for Camilla's tastes. I wonder if she also has the matching necklace.
[...]

Do you mean the necklace that was commonly worn by Princess Margaret with the Poltimore tiara? About this one (it is called a diamond hoop necklace in the book) Roberts says that it is in Viscount Linley's collection.

About the Duchess of Teck's tiara: I don't think that the height of the tiara is a big problem. A wire base can always be added, like it was done for Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson's small pearl and diamond tiara (the one that was stolen). We have to have in mind that the tiara (DoT) was last worn by a woman why had more or less a flapper hair style to the end of her life (vs Camilla's puffy hair) and thus didn't need a further base on her tiaras, other than a simple velvet wrapping. This is quite evident in photos of the two tiaras she used most often.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1340845712|3224829 said:
LadyMaria|1340840815|3224763 said:
One tidbit I found quite intriguing...it claims the Teck Crescent tiara ... is now in the hands of the Duchess of Cornwall.

Lady Maria-

Can you be more specific about this? Do you know whether the tiara was given to her or merely lent to her?

AGBF
:read:

Here is the exact wording from the book:

"The tiara was inherited by The Queen in 2002 and has since been loaned to The Duchess of Cornwall."

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
BubblyBear|1340850721|3224895 said:
Maria -

This one??

Umm....Definitely not my favorite tiara. Probably not in my list of top 50 favorite tiaras.

teck_crescent.jpg

Yup, that's the one...here is more info from the book...

"In an invetroy of Princess Mary Adelaides's jewelry of c. 1870...the individual parts o fthe tiara are described as 'Three Diamond Roses...
a diamond Chain All the Diamonds from this Chain made into a Diadem....Twenty-one Diamond Crescents.' In 1871 the Princess had the crescents mounted on a headband, and by 1882, the individual elements had been assembled as a tiara with a detachable double row of diamonds at the base."

Your pictures does not show the double row of diamonds at the base. Your picture is very similar to the one in the book.

I'm just not sure about this one. Perhaps it would look better as the original headband and not a tiara?

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
BubblyBear|1340852316|3224915 said:
Speaking of un-favorite tiaras....

This beauty (in my opinion),received as a wedding present by Princess Elizabeth, known the Nizam tiara was dismantled

nizam_tiara.jpg

to create

this monster

burmese_ruby.jpg

This is also discussed in the book. The three roses from the Nizam tiara are still around as brooches. It was the rest that was dismantled to make the Burmese Ruby Tragedy...errr...Tiara. The Nizam necklace is still intact.

The Burmese Rubies are only mentioned in passing and there are no pictures in the book since it concentrates on Diamonds (in honor of the Diamond Jubliee). This also means there is nothing in the book about Her Majesty's sapphire parure, nor the Kent Amethysts.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

The Teck Circle/Hoop necklace/tiara is not pictured in the book, therefore we can assume it is not in HM's collection. The book does say, "On Princess Mary Adelaide's death in 1897, the tiara (together with a diamond hoop necklace now in the collection of Viscount Linely) was inherited by the Princess' eldest son, Prince Adolphs of Teck."

Since the Poltimore tiara was purchased for Princess Margaret but the necklace had been in the family, it probably seemed less...well, disasterous to sell the tiara and keep the necklace instead of the other way around. I suspect Her Majesty might have thrown a bit of a royal fit to see a necklace with such a family history sold. The tiara, on the other hand, only had the family history of being worn by the first princess to usher in a divorce in the 20th century.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340886685|3225070 said:
Congratulations Maria! I know that this is a wonderful book with much valuable information regarding British royal jewels. I still don't have the book. Haven't even ordered it, but maybe later this year I will...

Oh Bobby, you have to get it!

A personal request - I know that the book features a detailed story of the Cambridge emeralds. Can you give us (me) a summery, please?

Bobby

"The Delhi Durbar Necklace and Cullinan VII Pendant"

"The necklace incorporates nine of the celebrated Cambridge emeralds, won in a German state lottery in Frankfurt by the Duchess of Cambridge, shortly after her marriage to George III's seventh son, Adolphys, in 1818. The Duchess had some of the stones made into a necklace, probably in the 1820's, which she gave to her daughter, Princess Mary Adelaide, in 1857. The rest of the emeralds were bequeathed to the Prinicess (by then Duchess of Teck) in 1889. On the Duchess of Teck's death intestate in 1897, her jewellry was divided between her three sons and her daughter, the emeralds (both set and unset) becoming the property of her second son, Prince Francis of Teck. Prince Francis, whose wayward life had often caused his family embarassment, died unexpectedly in October 1910, leaving all the jewels he had inherited from his mother to his mistress, the Countess of Kilmorey. Queen Mary acquired them by purchase from Lady Kilmorey shortly thereafter."

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1340919508|3225462 said:

I likely will, Maria. We'll see.

Thanks for the description of the emeralds. Much appreciated! Does Roberts mention the exact number of the stones? I think there must've been between 40 and 50 stones (at least those set in jewels) in the lot.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Another thing about the Cambridge emeralds - Roberts says that the fee for the setting of the emeralds and for providing the diamonds in the jewels was met by George V as a 44th birthday present to Queen Mary (that was in 1911). The diamonds for the Delhi Durbar tiara, which was made in the same year, came from the large loop tiara that was made by Boucheron in 1902 (for Edward VII's Coronation).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1340917926|3225421 said:
Yup, that's the one...here is more info from the book...

"In an invetroy of Princess Mary Adelaides's jewelry of c. 1870...the individual parts o fthe tiara are described as 'Three Diamond Roses...
a diamond Chain All the Diamonds from this Chain made into a Diadem....Twenty-one Diamond Crescents.' In 1871 the Princess had the crescents mounted on a headband, and by 1882, the individual elements had been assembled as a tiara with a detachable double row of diamonds at the base."

Your pictures does not show the double row of diamonds at the base. Your picture is very similar to the one in the book.

I'm just not sure about this one. Perhaps it would look better as the original headband and not a tiara?

I've always considered two rows of diamonds at the base of the tiara to be 2 rivieres added for height. The mention of a Diamond Chain confirms this ;-) They were only seen on Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340921604|3225488 said:
LadyMaria|1340919508|3225462 said:

I likely will, Maria. We'll see.

Thanks for the description of the emeralds. Much appreciated! Does Roberts mention the exact number of the stones? I think there must've been between 40 and 50 stones (at least those set in jewels) in the lot.

Bobby

Nope, no exact number. :blackeye:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, a sad bit of information that crushes one of my secret hopes...

In reference to the Rundell tiara, given to then Princess Alexandra, Princess of Wales as a wedding present (I thought about this one for Catherine Middleton as a wedding tiara):

" 'A very rich Brilliant Diadem.' The tiara was bequeathed by Queen Alexandra to her second daughter, Princess Victoria, and subsequently disposed of by her."

I guess that means we'll never see that tiara again. ;(

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
sunshine996|1340768986|3224239 said:
Here are some more pictures of Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra wearing bow brooches:
Is it the same chocker ??????

queenalexandra.jpg

sonja_1.jpg

sonja_2.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1340927461|3225569 said:
Oh, a sad bit of information that crushes one of my secret hopes...

In reference to the Rundell tiara, given to then Princess Alexandra, Princess of Wales as a wedding present (I thought about this one for Catherine Middleton as a wedding tiara):

" 'A very rich Brilliant Diadem.' The tiara was bequeathed by Queen Alexandra to her second daughter, Princess Victoria, and subsequently disposed of by her."

I guess that means we'll never see that tiara again. ;(

Yes, that's what it means. I wonder how it was disposed of. Was is sold, broken, used to make another jewel? I guess we'll never know for sure...

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
THE exhibition in Buckingham Palace is now set and awaiting for the first visitors to see the besto of the best from HM The Queen's Collection.
The microsite on the Royal Collection is also ready and you can see it here - Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration. This is, in fact, a very different microsite from the ones we've seen so far, so it might seem difficult to navigate at first.
The Daily Mail has an article with large photos (one of which confirm that the Delhi Durbar tiara is still a circlet) - Jubilee diamonds
And last but not least - a link to a very nice video from the BBC - Diamond exhibition at Buckingham Palace for Jubilee

Enjoy!
Bobby

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1340918953|3225443 said:

The Teck Circle/Hoop necklace/tiara is not pictured in the book, therefore we can assume it is not in HM's collection. The book does say, "On Princess Mary Adelaide's death in 1897, the tiara (together with a diamond hoop necklace now in the collection of Viscount Linely) was inherited by the Princess' eldest son, Prince Adolphs of Teck."

Since the Poltimore tiara was purchased for Princess Margaret but the necklace had been in the family, it probably seemed less...well, disasterous to sell the tiara and keep the necklace instead of the other way around. I suspect Her Majesty might have thrown a bit of a royal fit to see a necklace with such a family history sold. The tiara, on the other hand, only had the family history of being worn by the first princess to usher in a divorce in the 20th century.

Here's a picture of Princess Margaret with the Teck Circle necklace:

margaret_teck_circle_necklace.jpg

Necklace form detail:

teck-necklace.jpg

Tiara form:
queenelizabethteckcircletiara.jpg

I think it makes a beautiful necklace.

Here's a photo of Mary Adelaide in the Crescent Tiara with the two rows of diamonds at the base of the tiara.

mary_adelaide_crescent.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
And - is that the Teck Circk around Mary Adelaide's neck??

rbscompilation

Rough_Rock
Sophie has her second (and much struggled for) baby due this December. I''m a fan of hers as well & wish her a lot of luck with the new baby since she almost lost her life delivering the first one!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1341024034|3226343 said:
Here's a picture of Princess Margaret with the Teck Circle necklace:

margaret_teck_circle_necklace.jpg

Necklace form detail:

teck-necklace.jpg

Tiara form:
queenelizabethteckcircletiara.jpg

I think it makes a beautiful necklace.

Here's a photo of Mary Adelaide in the Crescent Tiara with the two rows of diamonds at the base of the tiara.

mary_adelaide_crescent.jpg

Queen Elizabeth wore the Teck Hoops/Circles at least once as necklace, at the beginning of her daughter's reign. I have posted a photo before.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love, love, love the Teck Circle necklace. Timeless. One of my very favorite jewels ever & it always looked wonderful on P. Margaret.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1341025935|3226355 said:
And - is that the Teck Circk around Mary Adelaide's neck??

Correct! You see that the Duchess of Teck had to wear it as a choker as her neck was larger than that of the other ladies that have worn the necklace since ;-)

By the way, Princess Mary Adelaide is the other person who has worn the Hoops as tiara ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
rbscompilation|1341058446|3226471 said:
Sophie has her second (and much struggled for) baby due this December. I''m a fan of hers as well & wish her a lot of luck with the new baby since she almost lost her life delivering the first one!

The baby you talk about was born back in 2007. It's a boy called James and is styled Viscount Severn ;-)

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all of you who answered my question! I wonder if HM has given any other older tiaras, that haven't been seen in many years, to her other family members.
Speaking of tiaras not seen in many years, I wish the Queen would fix the Strathmore Rose Tiara and bring it out of the vault!This tiara was given to the Queen Mum by her parents for her wedding. It is set in silver and gold, and has two settings: low and high. The low version is worn across the forehead, bandeau style, while the higher setting is worn like a traditional tiara, upon the head. Reportedly the roses can be removed and worn seperately.

strathmore_rose.jpg

the_strathmore_rose_tiara.png

queenmotherstrathmorerosetopofhead.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Many hoped Catherine would wear that for her wedding to William. It would have looked beautiful on her, blingy but not too much for a newbie tiara. I would have liked it better than the one she did wear, but she is not (yet?) a sparkly-jewel person.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1341095387|3226699 said:
Thanks to all of you who answered my question! I wonder if HM has given any other older tiaras, that haven't been seen in many years, to her other family members.
Speaking of tiaras not seen in many years, I wish the Queen would fix the Strathmore Rose Tiara and bring it out of the vault!This tiara was given to the Queen Mum by her parents for her wedding. It is set in silver and gold, and has two settings: low and high. The low version is worn across the forehead, bandeau style, while the higher setting is worn like a traditional tiara, upon the head. Reportedly the roses can be removed and worn seperately.

It is also revealed in Roberts that the five diamonds flowers can be replaced by "5 single sapphires". Now this is version of the tiara I'd love to see (at least photographed)!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1341152784|3226886 said:
Many hoped Catherine would wear that for her wedding to William. It would have looked beautiful on her, blingy but not too much for a newbie tiara. I would have liked it better than the one she did wear, but she is not (yet?) a sparkly-jewel person.

--- Laurie

It seems that many people wanted to see the Strathmore tiara worn by Catherine Middleton, myself included. Actually, my two guesses were either this one or the Halo tiara (which she eventually wore). Apparently, the Halo tiara is considered as a "starter" tiara in the family (and it's not a bad choice, after all).
Another thing why to prefer the Strathmore tiara is that it would have added 5 real brooches to HRH's collectin ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Looking at this photo of Princess Michael of Kent at this year's Wimbledon, I wonder if the brooch she's wearing might've belonged to The Duchess of Windsor. I've seen similar jewels in Wallis' collection.
610x__1_.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results