carat
color
clarity

Ahhhhh! I can't decide. Carre or French cuts

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1340217226|3220334 said:
WOW Circe! It's perfect. Great find. The head won't fit her stone. BUT-- it might be worth it to see if there is a way to adjust it for her stone.

Aw, darn - on my chart, a 1.2 stone is exactly 6.8. Back to the drawing board ... :geek:

(though, like Gyps says, worth checking with a jeweler - from the look of the setting, a qualified bench with a laser welder would be able to lift the basket out and drop a bigger one in)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, count me confused. How do y'all know it won't fit her stone? Are her diamond measurements somewhere? Of course, she'd need to wear close to a 6.5 because I wouldn't size those, just put in sizing beads if they were a little large.

Gorgeous, though..makes me want to get a carre cut band with milgrain, seriously.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1340220918|3220407 said:
Gypsy|1340217226|3220334 said:
WOW Circe! It's perfect. Great find. The head won't fit her stone. BUT-- it might be worth it to see if there is a way to adjust it for her stone.

Aw, darn - on my chart, a 1.2 stone is exactly 6.8. Back to the drawing board ... :geek:

(though, like Gyps says, worth checking with a jeweler - from the look of the setting, a qualified bench with a laser welder would be able to lift the basket out and drop a bigger one in)

NOPE! That was MY BAD! It WILL FIT HER STONE. I had her stone size at 1.5 for some odd reason!

DS it would fit.

That set is so pretty. Excellent find by Circe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that is what I was thinking because I knew a 1.2 was around 6.8mm! I wondered if her stone was cut too shallow or something making it too big!

This is a steal of a deal for a e-ring setting and wedding band. I like it enough to buy it myself except I wear a 5.5 and would not size down that much.

The other thing I am not sure she was factoring in was that she'd need a new wedding band if she went with a carre cut e-ring, so this would be perfect if it is close to her size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1340221758|3220424 said:
Okay, that is what I was thinking because I knew a 1.2 was around 6.8mm! I wondered if her stone was cut too shallow or something making it too big!

This is a steal of a deal for a e-ring setting and wedding band. I like it enough to buy it myself except I wear a 5.5 and would not size down that much.

It's perfect for me, but I have nothing to put in it. If I did though. Watch out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No kidding!!! A super buy for somebody, that is for sure!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That's an excellent deal for that set. ERD's quote will be higher. (I know because I asked before!)

She should jump on it before a lurker snipes it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope she's still checking this thread OR is getting notifications.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Ooo that one Circe posted has been on my radar for a long time, I hope she snatches it up it is gorgeous! :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1340222132|3220434 said:
I hope she's still checking this thread OR is getting notifications.

Heheh - wonder if it's worth asking the mods if they could forward if she's not. Can't hurt to try ....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for what might be a stupid post but I thought Carre cuts were the same as French cuts? Happy to be enlightened by one of our diamond experts!

I thought that Carre cuts (because I own some :D ) look like square step cuts but without the windmills or cut corners of an Asscher. Aren't French cuts the same?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope. Basically, carre cuts are to asschers what french cuts are to princesses: direct predecessors with somewhat fewer facets. If you look closely at the images Moaks posted in the first post, you can kinda see the difference ....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore that set. If that head was for a 1.5 it would be already SOLD to ME. I'd just put in sizing beads. What an incredible deal for a new set. wow. Really it is one of my favorite sets ever. Can't believe it is still there tempting me to have to buy a diamond to fit it.

moaks

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I've been busy with school and work so I haven't had much of a chance to follow but I'm caught up.

Circe-That set on ebay would be perfect, however I wear a 5.5 so I don't think It's the one for me :blackeye:

Fortekitty- I've actually been in contact with ERD for a quote on that setting and it's looking like it would be in my price range in platinum which makes me happy!

I'm also kind of sentimental and don't want to really replace my wedding band. So I was thinking of having a little bit of pave added to the basket.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That's fantastic! I contacted them when platinum prices were higher so I thought they might have kept it up. Glad to hear it's under!!

moaks

Rough_Rock
Well, It's a little outside my budget, I would have to dip into my secret fund if I go with them. 8)

moaks

Rough_Rock
So I've been hemming and hawing over it and hubby and I decided that the step cuts with a very slight tapper would look nice. However I've also been looking at another style the whole time as well and now I'm torn. So here's my new dilemma:

Step cuts/carre with less of a tapper, but very similar to this, but possibly adding some bright cut pave to the basket for a little extra bling

Or....

Three sided pave, with tapered baguettes. I'd do it without the milgrain kind of like in this picture

I've seen similar ring pictures with milgrain and other shape center stones, but as much as I've searched I haven't seen any photos of the last setting with a RB center.

leon_stepcut.png

3sidedpave1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be honest, I don't see three-sided pave on a 2.5k budget ending well. That sort of delicate style needs expert craftsmanship to achieve the aesthetic and maintain sufficient durable for daily wear, and that sort of craftsmanship is pricey, whether it's cast or handforged.

I prefer the simple and clean lines of the other anyway - I don't like the baguettes + pave, too many competing styles.

moaks

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1340732376|3223904 said:
I'll be honest, I don't see three-sided pave on a 2.5k budget ending well. That sort of delicate style needs expert craftsmanship to achieve the aesthetic and maintain sufficient durable for daily wear, and that sort of craftsmanship is pricey, whether it's cast or handforged.

I prefer the simple and clean lines of the other anyway - I don't like the baguettes + pave, too many competing styles.

I got some quotes on that style of setting and I know that I wouldn't be able to get it done in my $2500 range because of all of the pave work.

I have to go over that for the care cut style but It isn't a crazy amount over so we are fine with that. I just want some opinions now on what would be a more "timeless" setting if you will.

I see what you are talking about though with the durability which is what also worried me, as I've been told I'm hard on my rings, though I've never had a problem with my wedding band.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
I would choose the Carre cuts :wavey:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the first few styles - definitely not the baguette and pave together. Too many competing design elements and I think you will get tired of it. The carre/french cut, slightly tapered is a classic look that will age well. :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No on the pave. Yes on the carre.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1340833619|3224671 said:
No on the pave. Yes on the carre.

Ditto. And even with that, you can't be hard on your rings.

moaks

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker- I didn't think I was being hard on them till the last time the jeweler tightened a few stones and polished my rings. I've only lost a stone in one ring before and it wasn't any of the ones a I wear daily. So who knows :roll:

Thanks all for responding. I'm thinking the carre cuts as well.

I went to a jewelry stone out by my in-laws and they had a ring that was as close to the tapered baguette ring with pave that I've seen around here. I tried it on and wasn't really loving it at all. Of course the diamonds were a lot smaller than I would get in that kind of setting but it still gave me a good general idea.

I think that the first setting is turning into what I'm going after now!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a great choice!

moaks

Rough_Rock
The jeweler I'm working with is out of town, but when he comes back I can't wait to get started on the design process of my ring. I'm still undecided if I want to add a small row of pave to the basket or not. He said that I can get a CAD, so I think I'll have him put it in the design so I can see. Thanks everyone for your input, it has really helped me a lot!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much was the ERD quote???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results