shape
carat
color
clarity

not wanting to wait

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
I've been thinking/pondering alot about proposing to my boyfriend. He told me that I'd never do it as I'm too traditional and will want some over the top romantic thing to happen... so I've been thinking, it could still be over the top and romantic, just instead of him doing it, I can. Anyways I think I know when I want to do it, on his birthday, which is August 24. We started dating on the 27th of August just after his birthday and for some reason he won't let me forget the fact that I didn't do anything with him on his birthday last year...

So I have 2 months to start planning the perfect proposal... I think it will be great especially great because he won't be expecting it. So really the only idea I want my proposal to include is cupcakes (an inside joke/story). I'm ready :)

-M

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you are ready to do their, then go for it!

Just make sure you won't have any sort of resentment in the future about missing out on being proposed to! I sure as heck hate the wait, but i know i would personally rather wait since this is like the one grand gesture he gets to do on his own (well with a little of my help on the ring :naughty: )

Keep us updated on the plans!!! :appl:

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
Well I know that he wants to marry me, as he asked me a few weeks back when I was going to let him marry me (June 6th to be exact)... it's really been me that has kindof put the breaks on things (I had a previously bad relationship/engagement and have been hesitant). We keep meaning to have "the serious talk" which I had been putting off... He wants to know where I stand... So I thought if I can put off "the serious talk" a little while longer I could wow him with an amazing proposal. I thought that would be a great way to show him how much I love him and want to be with him :) :love: I won't regret it at all, he loves how creative I am :twirl:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds awesome!!! How are you going to do it? public? private? are you going to tell anyone? friends? family?

have you seen the ones on youtube! so fun!

audball

Ideal_Rock
As long as you think he won't feel slighted by it, I say go for it! What are you thinking? Are you going to get him a ring/band?

acph154

Rough_Rock
I had grand plans to propose to my guy to make it formal. We talked about our future together and on a recent long road trip, he started asking & discussing what I/we want to do for a wedding. He likes to do things out of order. Another example was talking how we would retire together before we were formally dating. :) Like you, he was all ready months ago, but I was hesitant. My previous relationship was super long term and I wasn't ready to accept that such a great guy existed and wanted to be with me.

I had already ordered vintage French cuff links and they were taking their good old time to arrive. I didn't want to propose empty handed and I wanted to give him something he can wear & remember.

I was either going to take him to dinner at our favorite French restaurant (the place had a lot of meaning to us. We always feel like we're the only ones there) or take him on a sunset cruise on a small yacht and ask him to start our lives together on a boat (he eventually wants to retire and live on a boat). I got the cuff links on a Tuesday, couldn't wait until the weekend, so I took him to the restaurant that night. I chickened out and just said, your present came and you know what it's for. He was very sweet and said yes, of course sweetheart. :)

Even though I know he would say yes, I couldn't vocalize "Will you marry me?” I knew it would happen, but I ran out of time to write the question on a note and put it in the box. :/ Not sure if everyone gets scared when it's time to ask the question, or if it's just me and my inability to vocalize my feelings. I also told him on our road trip about my trouble to vocalize. He said not to worry, he knows I love him.

So, that Sat we went to the jewelry store to see and order the ring that I picked out with the sapphire I bought. A bit untraditional, but my family is in the jewelry business and he bought from a mall store for his first marriage. I'm not a jewelry wearing girl, so if I'm going to wear something, I must absolutely love it.

Now the only problem is he said he wants to hold onto the ring until he can make it special. He then quantified it by giving examples: making us dinner or taking me out to NYC... Whew, I can handle that. Then he added, he's going to keep taking me out to keep me wondering if this is the night! :/ I told him he has 4 weeks to plan. ;-) But I know him, he won't be able to wait for long. Every chance we get to spend together is special, so he has ample opportunities.

Anyway, the point is, I "technically" asked and he accepted & wore the cuff links, so we're engaged. We didn't announce it yet, but it gave me the ok to go get the ring. Once he proposes to me, we'll make it official…on FB. So far only my family knows because I had to get guidance on the setting. I think it's the best of both worlds! I just hate the waiting! I think if it was up to me, we would marry in a courthouse the next available day after we get the wedding bands, which I should order soon!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know how this is possible, but my boyfriend was asked two times by two different women to marry him. Those relationships didn't work out for him (thank goodness), so I told him, "No way Buster, if you want to get married, you have to ask me." He gave me a twist tie a year ago, right before he left for Iraq. I am waiting for an upgrade :lol:

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
mandasand|1340812560|3224413 said:
so I told him, "No way Buster, if you want to get married, you have to ask me." He gave me a twist tie a year ago, right before he left for Iraq. I am waiting for an upgrade :lol:

haha thats exactly what my bf did when we started dating, we were making lunch and he made me a twist tie ring - i am STILL also waiting on the "upgrade" :naughty:

acph154 said:
I had grand plans to propose to my guy to make it formal. We talked about our future together and on a recent long road trip, he started asking & discussing what I/we want to do for a wedding. He likes to do things out of order. Another example was talking how we would retire together before we were formally dating. :) Like you, he was all ready months ago, but I was hesitant. My previous relationship was super long term and I wasn't ready to accept that such a great guy existed and wanted to be with me.

I had already ordered vintage French cuff links and they were taking their good old time to arrive. I didn't want to propose empty handed and I wanted to give him something he can wear & remember.

I was either going to take him to dinner at our favorite French restaurant (the place had a lot of meaning to us. We always feel like we're the only ones there) or take him on a sunset cruise on a small yacht and ask him to start our lives together on a boat (he eventually wants to retire and live on a boat). I got the cuff links on a Tuesday, couldn't wait until the weekend, so I took him to the restaurant that night. I chickened out and just said, your present came and you know what it's for. He was very sweet and said yes, of course sweetheart. :)

Even though I know he would say yes, I couldn't vocalize "Will you marry me?” I knew it would happen, but I ran out of time to write the question on a note and put it in the box. :/ Not sure if everyone gets scared when it's time to ask the question, or if it's just me and my inability to vocalize my feelings. I also told him on our road trip about my trouble to vocalize. He said not to worry, he knows I love him.

So, that Sat we went to the jewelry store to see and order the ring that I picked out with the sapphire I bought. A bit untraditional, but my family is in the jewelry business and he bought from a mall store for his first marriage. I'm not a jewelry wearing girl, so if I'm going to wear something, I must absolutely love it.

Now the only problem is he said he wants to hold onto the ring until he can make it special. He then quantified it by giving examples: making us dinner or taking me out to NYC... Whew, I can handle that. Then he added, he's going to keep taking me out to keep me wondering if this is the night! :/ I told him he has 4 weeks to plan. ;-) But I know him, he won't be able to wait for long. Every chance we get to spend together is special, so he has ample opportunities.

Anyway, the point is, I "technically" asked and he accepted & wore the cuff links, so we're engaged. We didn't announce it yet, but it gave me the ok to go get the ring. Once he proposes to me, we'll make it official…on FB. So far only my family knows because I had to get guidance on the setting. I think it's the best of both worlds! I just hate the waiting! I think if it was up to me, we would marry in a courthouse the next available day after we get the wedding bands, which I should order soon!

Cute story! I am so happy that it worked out for you and that he still plans to surprise you with the ring! :mrgreen:

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
THIS IS MY PLAN, SO FAR....

I have a bunch of dates that are special to me (about him) starting with the night I gave him my phone number up until the night we made it official and we were a couple (originally I was going to propose on his birthday, but the day we started dating is like 3 days after), it's a 6 week span...

Anywho... I've writting letters on the dates these special events happened, they all start out with, Dear T, a year a go today... blah blha blah... there are about 7 of them. the last one is the night we started officially dating... our date that we went on that night was to chinese food, I'm going to make a fortune cookie with a "Marry Me" slip inside :) I probably should give him something as a token, but I'm unsure what yet...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results