shape
carat
color
clarity

M is for mMmm.. (3.73 M VVS1 OEC from GOG)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
M is for mmmmm!!!
or Madelise :wink2:

Seriously, all I can think of is how yummy this little guy is.. . so I decided to do a little photo shoot with some yummy desserts before it got confiscated for good today by the DBF! I attempted to go pick up some mini cupcakes and French macarons last night from Sprinkles and 'Lettes, but they only had leftovers by the time I went. I had an appointment today to drop her off with SN Queens, and went to lunch with DBF and Bottega Louie, right across the street. Yes, these photos were all taken at the restaurant! I looked like a complete idiot for about 15 minutes, taking photos from different angles, over and over again! I hope this means I'm a true PS-er :naughty:

An older set of men couple that were seated next to us kept congratulating us, and was complimenting us for our creativity. But they were shocked we had the guts to take it out in public! :lol: SO kept saying, "I've got my guns with me, don't worry", in reference to his arms. Silly boy! Even though we only had to walk about 2 minutes to get to SN Queens from the restaurant, I was sweating with nervousness!

So history: I had been wanting to look for my forever diamond for about 2 years now, ever since the SO mentioned us getting engaged! We were trying to rush to be one of those 11/11/11 couples, but things fell through in our lives the January of that year. I was devastated, but oh my God am I glad we waited for this puppy to fall in my lap! I first started wanting a cushion, when I laid eyes on the Harry Winston The One. I wanted my The One! And when I found PS, I saw antique cushions! Oh, that's even better!! But how could I trust DBF to find me an antique cushion to my liking? How can I trust him to have my eyes? I decided to default to a modern RB, so at least he can use the HCA tool to guide him.

Eventually, my need for an antique cut just overruled. I posted in April, in the Antique and Vintage Jewelry side of PS for advice on places in Los Angeles to take my dearly beloved, so that I can show him a variety of authentic old cuts in all their glory. SO became smitten with the old cuts.. and warmed up to me choosing the center diamond, so long as he got to still surprise me. Knowing I'd need a lot more time to find the perfect antique cut, he ok-ed me to start the search sooner than intended. I was not expecting to find my diamond so soon!

I first started searching on my own, and called upon Gypsy to help me off PS, since I was worried about this being on the internet forever, and people IRL finding out, people on PS getting "spoiled" perceptions of me…. etc etc etc. I'm an anxious person. :oops: She coaxed me to post on RT so I can get advice from DreamerD and Yssie.. and thus, I started the Calling Dreamer D and Yssie and other Old Cut Lovers thread. I was dealing with a troublesome vendor that gave me the woozies, and with PS-ers help, decided against making possibly one of the worst mistakes of my life. *PHEW! Dodged that bullet!

Erica, of JbEG, so graciously offered me in my Antiques posting, to have me meet with Grace to see some old diamonds IRL. I made an appointment to meet with Grace, and was shown some gorgeous beauties! I was stuck on having a minimum of 3ct/9mm, MAX J/K color.. and got shown a few of the rings and loose diamonds in their inventory. The one that I thought would pull my heart stings ended up doing nothing for me IRL, and instead, I got my heart pitter pattering at the Zahra Leyla twin, the 4.09 that's STILL? I think? for sale on their website. I also got to see MyDiamondSparkles' new gorgeous 4.46 antique cushion! As well as some other beauties. My heart kept skipping a beat while looking at the 4.09.. I was so happy to learn that my eyes don't really discriminate against warmer colors.. because I sure as hell am a size whore! Now I wanted that 10mm! My heart melted! Had I found "the One"?

However, I'm half Chinese and you never have anything 4 in my culture. Never. The number 4 sounds like "die/death" in our language. I worked in a hospital in our community, and they didn't even have room 4's in any of their floors! Room 1, 2, 3, 5. It's the worst juju thing ever. My beloved grandmother, who means the whole world to me, would have my neck if I got anything with a 4. I kind of felt torn.. I love big sizes.. and the next size up, 5 carats, is just impossible. That meant I had to find something 3.99 carats and under.

Seeing the warm colors in the 4.46 EGL L and the 4.09 GIA N-O let me know that I was okay with warm colors. However, I decided to stick with GIA graded stones only. With this amount of money at stake, I had to be stern with a strict grading laboratory.. especially if I wasn't able to see it first with my own eyes! So off I went searching online inventories, and scouring eBay, RubyLane and Etsy.

I got overwhelmed, and was emailing with Audball, when she sent me a huge long email telling me to give Jon at GOG a try. She had found this beauty that fit my "needs", but it was out of my budget due to the VVS1 grading.. but she urged me to ring up Jon to see if he can find me anything. I kept going back to the original diamond she linked me to, and I kept watching its video. It had been in inventory for a year! It's like it waited for me!

SO eventually warmed up to spending a little bit over budget since he knew how important this was to me. The engineer in him loved that GOG provided detailed analysis as well as videos showing the diamond in all different lighting. This seriously eased our minds and hearts to buying a diamond online. Without this type of scrutiny, I don't think we could have made an online, without seeing first, purchase this large. I didn't want a pretty video showing a sparkly on a spinning mirror. I wanted a video showing me the ugly. I wanted to see all of its negatives. And I was able to get that with GOG.

Jon was amazing to work with. I seriously emailed and sent him FB messages at all hours of the night. I called him a few times, too, because he hadn't responded to my emails yet! I was one antsy, anxious gal! He even searched his store for a halo that can fit a 10mm stone, just so I can see what it looks like with a halo.. and to see what it looks like next to whiter melee. He found an earring jacket! LOL! Can you imagine? A 10mm earring with a halo jacket on? :-o That's HUGE! He even made an awesome awesome video comparing my diamond with 3 other diamonds that fit my "needs".. and compared their performance in different lighting with their ASET images.

We pulled the trigger, and had him ship it out, on memo, to Patrick Davis in Culver City, CA. It was an hour and half drive for me to go there, but well worth it. I had to pay Patrick extra to pick up the diamond and hold on to it. SO was very nervous about being responsible for something worth so much, so he insisted we have Patrick and GOG do that, so we don't have to touch it and risk losing it. Now I've been to see Charles Carmona in Downtown Los Angeles, and loved him.. but Patrick Davis is phenomenal. Not only was his appraisal slightly cheaper, but he did so many more tests! He showed me a live ASET feed of my diamond on a computer screen, and allowed me to be very hands-on. We spent 2 hours in his office! He was great with showing us the wholesale price, plus the profit margins/retail price for retailers.. and have us a whole drawing of "this is how much you'd pay for at an online dealer who makes large volume sales" vs high end luxury brand retailers, mall stores, Chinatown stores.. etc. SO was more worried about the $$ than the light performance. He hates feeling ripped off. So Patrick's explanations were great. We never told him how much the stone is being sold for, and he didn't even look at the appraisal papers and details that GOG had sent with the diamond. He confirmed its quality, and confirmed that we were paying a GREAT price for that diamond. We were now 100% sold.

And now it's mine!! :love: :love: :love: It's seriously one great performer for an authentic old European diamond. Patrick couldn't even find the inclusions that rated it a VVS1 in his microscope. It's got the cutest little "extra facet", and the cutest culet. So I am now nicknaming her Dimples. And what's an extra push in making me totally believe she is The One for me? She was certed by GIA on March 30 of last year.. my birthday! Nothing can top this stone, for me, unless it was certed on my birthday, in my birth year, lol.. or was certed on exactly the day I met my SO, or the day we became girlfriend/boyfriend.

Okay, so enough of my novel! Sorry, I always get carried away in talking and in writing.. Here is my new engagement ring center stone!

3.73 Old European Cut
M, VVS1
9.98 x 10.25 x 5.86mm
Faint Fluorescence

and here are the referenced threads and videos I mentioned:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit..._d-and-yssie-and-other-old-cut-lovers.175753/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/local-dealers-in-la-area.174826/
http://youtu.be/XaD9l0ynDaY
http://youtu.be/5iJvva6kSW8

gia.jpg

megascope.jpg

ltsc.jpg

screen_shot_2012-06-06_at_5.png

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, I have no idea why everything is bolded.. Hm. Oh well. Here are the photos from today's "photoshoot"!

dimples_blzoom2.png

dimples_blzoom3.png

dimples_blzoom4.png

dimples_blzoom5.png

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and the last one, zoomed up close. I'll post the non-cropped photos, too. These get all up close and in your face with the diamond. Hehe.

I had to say buh bye to my diamond today ;( :errrr: It'll take 8-12 weeks for my setting to complete! Oh, I should post about that journey, too!

dimples_blzoom6.png

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
more :)

dimples_bottegalouie1.png

dimples_bottegalouie2.png

dimples_bottegalouie3.png

dimples_bottegalouie4.png

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
last ones

dimples_bottegalouie5.png

dimples_bottegalouie6.png

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for viewing and letting me share! :love: :love: :wavey:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
It has been quite a journey for you to find the one, and I am thrilled it had such a happy ending. Your OEC is stunning-the faceting is gorgeous and it is HUGE!(fellow size whore here ;)) ) I have watched the videos from GOG, and that baby is quite a performer!

Again, congratulations! Wishing you all the best in the setting process and hoping your engagement comes quickly so you can wear that beauty! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, you know I absolutely love your stone!

Beautiful photos too!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone! Congrats! Your pics are making me want dessert now!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just came over from RT to see more pics!! :love: :love: :love:

It's GORGEOUS, but you already know that! I don't know how you're going to wait to get her back :naughty: I'm really happy you found the perfect stone madelise :appl: :bigsmile:

...Just drool all round, really :lickout:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a gorgeous stone and I am happy that you found each other!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Why! Why! I can see any pics!!! The agonyyyyyyy!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing! Love it. Can't wait for the handshots.... :cheeky:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: Thanks for sharing your gorgeous rock!!!

novicediamond

Shiny_Rock
What an entertaining and creative post!, love the photo's and your diamond is AMAZing, I too have bought an M from GOG :) Congratulations in getting to your destination :)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
AMAZEBALLS. :love:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on finally find THE ONE! :appl: She's just gorgeous, of course, and the mini photo shoot does definitely confirm your PSerness. :bigsmile: I can't wait to see what she looks like on your hand. :naughty:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEE YOU tiful!!!! That is gorgeous Madelese!!! What an awesome photo shoot too - yummy cookies :lickout: ... but I digress... !

ITs amazing - i'll bet those 8 weeks will just D R A G by... that's a bummer, but think of this on your hand - WHOA!! SPARKLE HEAVEN!!!

(yeah, why *IS* everything in bold... i was not yelling or bolding when I wrote this...weird...)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, congratulations!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, just amazing!!!! :love:
Congratulations and enjoy in health and happiness!! :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love it! Love the story, love the fact that the GIA report was done on your birthday, love the adorable name dimples....did I mention that I love it???? :love: :love:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! What a stone!!! Wonderful pictures!! :love: Can't wait to see this one set!!!

Congratulations!!!

Cachette :))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh what a gorgeous stone!!! yum yum yum :love: :love: :love:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I followed your thread in RT and it's so great to see the fruition of your journey. She's just beautiful! Love the size, the cut and the name you gave her. Really can't wait to see how you set her. :love:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
That is one amazing stone :love: Can't wait to see how you set it!!!!!!!!!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
what a gorgeous stone! :love:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It's amazingly beautiful!! :love: I'm so happy that you were able to find 'The One' for you! Can't wait to see the finished piece! Congratulations!! :appl:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[/b][/u]Armywife

Thank you! You've got yourself a big'un coming soon! Yay an influx of big ol antique diamonds on PS!! I hope SO won't dangle the ring in front of me too long, too :( lol. I was already wimpering when I handed it over to Sylva at SNQ.

DeeJay and Laila, thank yoU!

mom2boys Haha, I was so tortured! I'm on a pre-engagement, pre-engagement photoshoot and thus pre-wedding diet already, and I was so tortured! I allowed myself "tastes" and that's it. I threw away the green cake!

Yssie, I'm so glad this is Yssie and PS approved! ;-) I never know what the heck I'm doing, and have ended up with already 1 ring I despise.. so I'm so so glad this one is "PS-Worthy". Thanks!!

Bright Ice Thank you! I hope one day I'll have a collection as gorgeous and massive! as yours!

YayTacori Are you still having trouble seeing the photos? PS's image server has been wonky the last few days. I posted a photo in my RT thread labeled cactus.jpeg, and ANOTHER photo, of a cactus, showed up in the place of my actual photo!! LOL!

vinjewels Thank you, but handshots might take a while to come! The best thing to hold me, and PS, off is probably that darn wax mold in a few weeks. Maybe I'll get to put my diamond on top just to envision??

Purplesilk thank you allowing me to share! ;-) Without PS, I'd be insane. I can't keep secrets, and I get way too excited.. I'd be telling anyone and everyone I bump into about my diamond! This way, my family and friends can still get surprised when I get engaged :)

Novicediamond you have an M too? I'm seriously so shocked and in love with the color. I wish everyone knows exactly how NOT yellow an M is. I totally freaked out over the color for no reason at all! I was blessed that mine has faint fluorescence, but truly, when the side profile is covered up in a setting, there's no problem with warmth at all!

Rosetta Thank you! I got my first Amazeballs comment! woohooo!

JustGinger Thank you! I'm totally loving this new group of honking antique cuts PS-ers recently acquired, yours especially! Now when can I get more bling **** of your honker!!

Yennyfire Yes! The birthday cert totally made me giddy! Makes me believe in magic again ;-)

Enerchi Oh I know it'll feel like it's dragging.. because this last 24 hours has dragged! EEK. I have no idea why everything is bolded, and NOW, today, everything is underlined, too! What is going on here! Everyone appears to be angry, lol!

lknvrb4, missy, cachette, skippy, sparklyOEC, stargurl, minmin and Christina, thank you all so much :)

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1340420127|3222223 said:
Whoa, I have no idea why everything is bolded.. Hm. Oh well. Here are the photos from today's "photoshoot"!

Those shots with the cookies are awesome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results