carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340225984|3220507 said:
sunshine996|1340223232|3220460 said:
I don't know what you're definition of "lots of jewels" is, but here are a few pictures of Queen Mary, the Duchess of Teck, and Alexandra.

Actually, in both posts there are only photos of Queen Mary and one of them also shows the the Duke & Duchess of York and King George V ;-)

Bobby
Thank you for the clarification! :twirl: There are so many Royals that I can't always keep them straight.

Here is a lovely photo of the Queen Mum and King George V.

7ace8dd540f1afedbb6356730b8d.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340231131|3220601 said:
Thank you for the clarification! :twirl: There are so many Royals that I can't always keep them straight.

No troubles!
I'm afraid you are mistaken again, sunshine996! While this is most certainly Queen Elizabeth (back at the time HM The Queen), the man standing besides her is not her father-in-law! Nor is it her husband, King George VI. I believe this photograph was taken in Canada, so he might've been a member of the government, an ambassador, but most certainly not a King of Canada ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re my previous post - the gentleman besides Queen Elizabeth is the then Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King.

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

In sunshine's second post there is a photo of Queen Mary with a feather of some sort in her hair. She appears to be wearing several family orders. While I have seen most of the Queen Mary pictures posted I have never seen this one. Any thoughts on the pic (the occasion, jewels, orders, etc.), Thanks.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

Could you please post the picture you describe of Queen Mary at Princess Victoria Louise's wedding and cut and paste your description? I have a couple of questions about some of the jewels you are referring to. If you have already posted it, please redirect me back to it. Thanks.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

Sorry not sure what happened there, wasn't finished typing. I think the description refers to the last photo you posted. If I am correct, is there a clearer photo? If not, I will re-look at your description and the photo and post some questions. Thanks

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

Sorry not sure what happened there, wasn't finished typing. I think the description refers to the last photo you posted. If I am correct, is there a clearer photo? If not, I will re-look at your description and the photo and post some questions. Thanks

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I think I better get back to work writing reports before my computer explodes. Sorry have no idea what just happened. It tells me this topic doesn't exist and then posts me twice. Anyway, thanks for your patience.

Bobby, the photo of Queen Mary that looks blue, could you please comment on it (occasion, jewels, etc.) I have never seen this one either. Specifically what is she wearing on her upper arm, I don't think it is part of the gown because it does not appear on the right. Are they jewels, an order, Queen Mary being creative and finding another part of body to bejewel (no I am not being irreverant, love her and if I had access to her jewels I would cover every square inch of my wardrobe and find a way to decorate my shoes)? Thanks

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This photo?
60777_1b8ba4c4e04c0677701a921072f5e318.jpg
It's from the wedding of The Duke of Kent to Princess Marina of Greece & Denmark in 1934:
1934Kent.jpg

Queen Mary wore three or four diamond collet necklaces (the longest might've been the Duchess of Gloucester's, her aunt), two strands of pearls, a pearl and diamond honeycomb choker, the 'Chips', the Devon earrings, the 14-stone bar brooch, the diamond star of the Order of the Garter (the same which QM wore at her coronation) and the Family Order of George V. I'm not sure if she wore a brooch on the hat.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340234354|3220652 said:
sunshine996|1340231131|3220601 said:

No troubles!
I'm afraid you are mistaken again, sunshine996! While this is most certainly Queen Elizabeth (back at the time HM The Queen), the man standing besides her is not her father-in-law! Nor is it her husband, King George VI. I believe this photograph was taken in Canada, so he might've been a member of the government, an ambassador, but most certainly not a King of Canada ;-)

Bobby[/

Thank you, again! It's been a loooong day! :oops:

article-2162133-13B39F6F000005DC-643_470x625.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1340236241|3220677 said:
Bobby,

The last photo is not from Victoria Louise's 1913 wedding to the Prince of Hanover. I don't know when it was taken and I don't have a better version, yet I can tell you something about the jewels worn in the portrait.

laurensmama|1340236111|3220674 said:
Bobby,

Could you please post the picture you describe of Queen Mary at Princess Victoria Louise's wedding and cut and paste your description? I have a couple of questions about some of the jewels you are referring to. If you have already posted it, please redirect me back to it. Thanks.

Your wish is my command - Queen Mary is seen wearing the State Diadem, the bow brooches with pendants (the Lahore diamond and the two drops from QV's earrings), three Cullinans as brooches, a dog collar of diamond collet necklaces, Queen Victoria's collet necklace with the Cullinans III&IV as pendant. In addition to all this, HM's also wearing the diamond set star of the Garter, a jewelled Lesser George, family orders, earrings, pair of bracelets and her bar brooch.
KingGeorgeV_QueenMary_1914.png
3546.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1340236641|3220681 said:
Okay, I think I better get back to work writing reports before my computer explodes. Sorry have no idea what just happened. It tells me this topic doesn't exist and then posts me twice. Anyway, thanks for your patience.

Bobby, the photo of Queen Mary that looks blue, could you please comment on it (occasion, jewels, etc.) I have never seen this one either. Specifically what is she wearing on her upper arm, I don't think it is part of the gown because it does not appear on the right. Are they jewels, an order, Queen Mary being creative and finding another part of body to bejewel (no I am not being irreverant, love her and if I had access to her jewels I would cover every square inch of my wardrobe and find a way to decorate my shoes)? Thanks

On her upper left arm Queen Mary is wearing a jewelled garter, part of the insignia of the order that bears the same name. Man wear it below the knee, ladies on their left arms. However, I don't think anyone has done so after the death of George VI.
The jewels that I'm able to identify are - The Vladimir tiara with the pearl drops, Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond earrings, the pearl and diamond honeycomb choker, The Duchess of Gloucester's pearl and diamond stomacher and what must be a pair of pearl bracelets with diamond and blue enamel buckles with King William IV and Queen Adelaide's ciphers in diamonds. These bracelets have also been worn (loaned to her?) by Princess Margaret. Queen Mary is also wearing 5 diamond necklace and two rows of pearls.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Okay Bobby, my head is starting to spin, am amazed that you can keep this all straight. Bear with me because I can't :twirl:

1) Duke of Kent 1934 wedding - what is the 14 stone bar broach? I can't see it very clearly. Please post a clearer picture of it and explain its provence.

2) Please provide whatever description you can for the unknown photo of Queen Mary (same post as 1934 wedding). Very curious that the occasion is unknown.

3) Princess Louise wedding - what is a jeweled lesser George and post a picture if you have one? What is the Lahore diamond and post a better picture if you have one?

I am amazed at the extent of Queen Mary's collection, while I am well aware that she acquired many beautiful things I am also impressed with how she wore it. I am aware that it was a different time, social/culture etc., but I occasionally wish for times that the royals (not just the United Kingdom) would open there jewel cases and "splash it on" as my grandmother used to say. Her life was not easy with the social restrictions of the day, death of her children, Edward's abdication, supporting Bertie and Elizabeth and then the current Queen but she carried it off with style, dignity and grace (and not just because of the jewels).

I am assuming that the bulk of her jewels went to the Queen Mum and then to the current Queen (or directly to the current Queen, ie QEII wedding tiara), but I am curious as to which of her jewels (perhaps lesser pieces if there truly is such a thing) went to other members of the royal family in the United Kingdom or elsewhere since so many of the monarchies/grand houses are intertwined. Thanks as usual, can't wait for your reply.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Sorry knew I was going to forget something. The honeycomb choker you refer to, could you post a better picture, did the Queen Mum or has any other member of the royal family wear it? Would love to see it in a "modern day" photo. Could you also provide a description of it's provence? Thanks

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
And one more, do you have a better photo/description of the jeweled garter Queen Mary is wearing around her upper arm? Okay I think I am done I will give someone else a turn. :lol: Thanks

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
laurensmama|1340246196|3220782 said:
I am assuming that the bulk of her jewels went to the Queen Mum and then to the current Queen (or directly to the current Queen, ie QEII wedding tiara), but I am curious as to which of her jewels (perhaps lesser pieces if there truly is such a thing) went to other members of the royal family in the United Kingdom or elsewhere since so many of the monarchies/grand houses are intertwined. Thanks as usual, can't wait for your reply.

I think that I have read on this website that Queen Mary's wedding gifts and other substantial jewelry went to Queen Elizabeth (I don't know if it is Queen Elizbeth II, or the Queen Mum who recieved these jewels).

I also think that Queen Mary gifted some of her lesser paruers to friends and lesser family members. I know that the Gloucesters have a turquoise parure ( It was a wedding present from the Duke and Duchess of Teck in 1893 to their daughter Queen Mary when she married. Queen Mary gave the parure to her future daughter-in-law Lady Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott when she married HRH Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester. The parure consists of the tiara, a long chain necklace of twenty-six turquoise and diamond oval clusters, matching cluster earrings and ring, two bow brooches, a bow-shaped corsage brooch with a tassel, a bangle bracelet and two four row turquoise bead bracelets.The tiara of turquoise and diamonds was arranged in rococo scrolls and a sunburst. Apparently Queen Mary found the composition too high, and it was lowered.)

**To answer one of your other questions: Mary wore the George IV State Diadem, diamond earrings, 9 diamond necklaces with Cullinans III and IV suspended as a pendant, six brooches, and a pair of bracelets to Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia's wedding in Berlin.**

I hope this helped! :wavey:

52g9qo1se7.jpg

GloucesterTeckTurquoiseTiaraBirgitte.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1340113757|3219329 said:
PPE12061678.jpg
PPE-Agency/Edwin Veloo

And something else - Did anyone notice Princess Mabel's eyes? Such a sad sight... Thank God the Orange-Nassaus are a closely knit and supportive family.

Just to follow up on this matter a bit, this story was on-line.

"Queen Beatrix flies to London, every weekend, to visit with her son, Prince Friso, who lies in a coma at Wellington Hospital.

Rumors of the queen’s weekly trips to London were confirmed by her brother-in-law, Pieter van Vollenhoven, who spoke to the Dutch entertainment magazine de Story. Van Vollenhoven is married to the queen’s sister Princess Margriet.

'Only his mother, spouse and brothers have been to visit him,' Van Vollenhoven says.

Van Vollenhoven says he and Princess Margriet have not been to visit Friso because they do not want to impose upon his wife, Princess Mabel. 'She is very busy with daily visits with her husband and taking care of their two children.'

Vollenhoven emphasised that Friso and his family will benefit most from being left in peace. 'That’s why we haven’t been to visit him. My sons have also not been to visit their cousin.'

On February 17th, Prince Friso was buried in an avalanche while skiing in Austria. Since the beginning of March, Friso has been receiving treatment at Wellington Hospital in London. In all likelihood the prince will never again regain consciousness.

'This is a terrible set of circumstances,' says Van Vollenhoven. 'This is an enormous burden for my sister-in-law and Mabel and the only thing we can do is wait and hope. Friso and his family are constantly in our thoughts.'”

Another news story noted that Princess Mabel has recently resigned from The Elders, a think tank dedicated to peace to which she had previously contributed. Among its other members are President Jimmy Carter and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re laurensmama's post from 21 Jun 2012 02:36
1) Duke of Kent 1934 wedding - what is the 14 stone bar broach? I can't see it very clearly. Please post a clearer picture of it and explain its provence.

A double bar brooch was made for Queen Victoria using two 5-stone bar brooches from her own collection. In 1901 the brooch came in Queen Alexandra's possesion and most likely remained with her to the end. Probably at the time of George V's ascension the 14-stone brooch was made for Queen Mary to wse with sashes. The 10-stone brooch was often worn by Queen Elizabeth on a sashes, while her daughter wore the larger one, which she inherited in 1953. As the bar brooches are usually worn at the back, we don't have many photos. However, Elizabeth II has worn it a couple of times for daytime events, like here:
elizabeth%20ii%20bar%20brooch.jpg
queen%20mary%20bar%20brooch.jpg

2) Please provide whatever description you can for the unknown photo of Queen Mary (same post as 1934 wedding). Very curious that the occasion is unknown.

The unknown photo IS from the 1934 wedding of the Duke of Kent & Princess Marina. I said that and provided a describtion of the jewels. (the group photo was meant to show why I think this is the occasion on which it was taken)

3) Princess Louise wedding - what is a jeweled lesser George and post a picture if you have one? What is the Lahore diamond and post a better picture if you have one?

You have seen the Lahore diamond many times! I'm sure ;-) It is the pear shaped pendant that is commonly worn with QV's collet necklace, most recently at the Turkish state banquet and the official Diamond Jubilee portraits.
A clear photo and the story of the jewel can be seen here - Royal Collection - Queen Victoria's diamond necklace and drop earrings

A lesser George is the badge of the Order of the Garter that is worn on the sash. A great George is the pendant/figure that is worn suspended from the collar. Examples of both can be see on the Royal Collection's website.

I am assuming that the bulk of her jewels went to the Queen Mum and then to the current Queen (or directly to the current Queen, ie QEII wedding tiara), but I am curious as to which of her jewels (perhaps lesser pieces if there truly is such a thing) went to other members of the royal family in the United Kingdom or elsewhere since so many of the monarchies/grand houses are intertwined.

The greater part of the collection went directly to The Queen with a few bequeaths to family members. To name a few examples, Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester's diamond collet necklace went to The Queen Mother, another riviere, a small tiara and a sapphire brooch (or two?) went to Princess Marina, a pink topaz and diamond brooch was left (presumably a.o. things) to the Duchess of Gloucester (Princess Alice). I don't know what The Princess Royal inherited.
Princess Elizabeth's wedding tiara did not go to the Queen's possession until the year 2002! It was given to Queen Elizabeth by Queen Mary in 1936 and HM loaned it her her daughter and granddaughter for their respective weddings.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1340246404|3220783 said:
Sorry knew I was going to forget something. The honeycomb choker you refer to, could you post a better picture, did the Queen Mum or has any other member of the royal family wear it? Would love to see it in a "modern day" photo. Could you also provide a description of it's provence? Thanks

I've always been confused by the choker and it's fate before and after Queen Mary... I've seen photos of Princess Marie Louise, QV's granddaughter, wearing a similar bracelet and also Elizabeth II with a bracelet of the same design, so they are probably the same (ML did leave some jewels to the main line of the BRF). Yet what bothers me is the choker... Queen Mary wore it, but there are also photos of her sister-in-law Margaret wearing it. I don't think it has been covered in any of the books on British royal jewels. I believe the Princess Royal might have worn the choker once or twice a few years ago but the photos I have a really not good enough to say for sure.
75469950_0.jpg
Photo by Anwar Hussein/WireImage

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re sunshine996s post from 21 Jun 2012, 03:29

I think that I have read on this website that Queen Mary's wedding gifts and other substantial jewelry went to Queen Elizabeth (I don't know if it is Queen Elizbeth II, or the Queen Mum who recieved these jewels).

Elizabeth II is meant.

I also think that Queen Mary gifted some of her lesser paruers to friends and lesser family members.
Do you really consider the Gloucesters (Henry and Alice) to have been lesser family members? The Duke was Queen Mary's son! It's not as it HM left jewels to her nieces. She most certainly didn't give lesser parures (a lesser parure? I'd love to have one, esp if it comes from Mary's collection) to friends. This would've been such an un-Queen-Mary thing to do...

I know that the Gloucesters have a turquoise parure ( It was a wedding present from the Duke and Duchess of Teck in 1893 to their daughter Queen Mary when she married. Queen Mary gave the parure to her future daughter-in-law Lady Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott when she married HRH Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester. The parure consists of the tiara, a long chain necklace of twenty-six turquoise and diamond oval clusters, matching cluster earrings and ring, two bow brooches, a bow-shaped corsage brooch with a tassel, a bangle bracelet and two four row turquoise bead bracelets.

I wonder where the other necklace, the one with the pendants, came from. Queen Mary wore it, as did Princess Alice, yet it doesn't appear in the photos of the wedding presents to The DoG & the then Lady Alice. The family owns quite a few other jewels from Queen Mary ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Talking about Queen Mary's jewels, we have forgotten about the social event of the year in Britain - Royal Ascot.
At yesterday's Day Two, we saw The Queen, The Countess of Wessex and Princess Alexandra in lovely outfits and jewels. Her Majesty wore the Queen Elizabeth rose brooch that she gave to her mother as a 100 birthday gift; Her Royal Highness donned the large Art Deco aquamarine and diamond from last year's wedding in Monaco with matching earrings, while Princess Alexandra had chosen her ruby earrings and modern floral gold brooch.
Photos can be seen here - PPE Agency's gallery

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
At today's Lady's Day, Elizabeth II wore the pearl and diamond Emperor of Austria brooch (aka the Teck corsage brooch) without the diamond and pearl swag and pendants:
article-2162560-13b7e23e000005dc-843_470x660.jpg

A link to the Daily Mail article with more photos (including a few of the parents of a well-known Duchess) - Lady's Day

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340291843|3221036 said:
Talking about Queen Mary's jewels, we have forgotten about the social event of the year in Britain - Royal Ascot.
At yesterday's Day Two, we saw The Queen, The Countess of Wessex and Princess Alexandra in lovely outfits and jewels. Her Majesty wore the Queen Elizabeth rose brooch that she gave to her mother as a 100 birthday gift; Her Royal Highness donned the large Art Deco aquamarine and diamond from last year's wedding in Monaco with matching earrings, while Princess Alexandra had chosen her ruby earrings and modern floral gold brooch.
Photos can be seen here - PPE Agency's gallery
A closer picture of The Queen - Photo

A better view of Sophie Wessex's jewels - Photo

Princess Anne was also there wearing the dress and jacket from her daughter's wedding (with a new hat) adorned with the diamond floral brooch, three rows of pearls (worn with the clasp in front) and the Grima earrings: Photo 1, Photo 2

Princess Haya has become a regular attendee at equestrian events in Britain (understandably, of course) - Photo 1, Photo 2

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340292316|3221042 said:
At today's Lady's Day, Elizabeth II wore the pearl and diamond Emperor of Austria brooch (aka the Teck corsage brooch) without the diamond and pearl swag and pendants:
article-2162560-13b7e23e000005dc-843_470x660.jpg

A larger photo of The Queen - Photo
The Princess Royal in simple pearl jewels - Photo

Aren't these the earrings that Carole Middleton wore at the wedding of her daughter? (that's Lady Susan Hussey next to her) - [urlhttp://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Royal+Ascot+2012+Day+3+uGWdwS5-KV0x.jpg]Photo[/url]

I'm looking forward to more photos from today. I know that the two York Princesses and the Wessexes are there too.

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340282916|3220943 said:
Re sunshine996s post from 21 Jun 2012, 03:29

I also think that Queen Mary gifted some of her lesser paruers to friends and lesser family members.
Do you really consider the Gloucesters (Henry and Alice) to have been lesser family members? The Duke was Queen Mary's son! It's not as it HM left jewels to her nieces. She most certainly didn't give lesser parures (a lesser parure? I'd love to have one, esp if it comes from Mary's collection) to friends. This would've been such an un-Queen-Mary thing to do...

I'm truly sorry for this miscommunication...I meant for, "I also think that Queen Mary gifted some of her lesser parures to her friends and lesser family members.", to be in a separate paragraph. I did not want to imply that Alice and Henry were not important family members to Queen Mary.

On another note...

Is this another picture of the diamond bar brooch?

250006.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was aware of the turquoise and diamond jewels given to the Gloucesters, the others I was not aware of. Also is it possible the honeycomb choker was converted to a bracelet (QEII photo you posted)? Just wandering, since not everyone can wear a choker with great aplomb. Also what is the history of the Grima ear rings worn by the Princess Royal, I don't recall hearing that reference in the past. Thanks

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340295654|3221076 said:
(...)
On another note...

Is this another picture of the diamond bar brooch?

It is obvious that this is the 10-stone bar brooch. As I explained before, it was made for Queen Victoria by joining her two 5-stone brooches that came with her Garter insignia.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1340307371|3221209 said:
Bobby,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was aware of the turquoise and diamond jewels given to the Gloucesters, the others I was not aware of. Also is it possible the honeycomb choker was converted to a bracelet (QEII photo you posted)? Just wandering, since not everyone can wear a choker with great aplomb. Also what is the history of the Grima ear rings worn by the Princess Royal, I don't recall hearing that reference in the past. Thanks

That would be possible. We know that Queen Mary had two (other) chokers that could also be worn as a pair of bracelets.
As I mentioned before, I have seen a photo of Princess Marie Louise (Schleswig-Holstein) wearing a very similar jewel as (a pair of) bracelet(s). But we should not forget that this was a rather common design. A honeycomb necklace and bracelet in the Dutch collection come to mind ;-)

About the Grima earrings - I don't think there is a special story behind them. What I know is that they were made by Andrew Grima (in his significan style) and the seem to a particular favourite of Her Royal Highness. I might search for a close up to post here.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
I thought that it was Victoria's brooch that you had mentioned. I think that the bar brooches look best when worn with Orders. They look kind of silly just pinned onto the shoulder like that. Has Queen has ever worn one to hold her Order in place?

I was wondering if any of you have a better picture of the brooch that the Countess of Wessex wore to the Acsot? It appears to be a knot of some sort and/or two interlocking hearts.

She also wore some diamond and pearl earrings that the Duchess of Cambridge has worn. Are they the same pair, on loan from the Queen, or did they both got a pair as a wedding present?

article-2162560-13b847d7000005dc-119_470x625.jpg

article-2162560-13b84bff000005dc-109_478x628.jpg

article-2154797-1374f87e000005dc-732_470x478.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results