shape
carat
color
clarity

Visual difference between H&A vs AGS000 and GIA3x

YYCgirl

Rough_Rock
We are shopping for my e-ring and I had always wanted a Hearts and Arrows diamond. I want it to really sparkle. One broker told me that an H&A is essentially the same as an AGS000 or GIA triple excellent. Through further research on pricescope, some people have differing opinions. I can appreciate that though they are not exactly equivalent, I'm wondering if with the average naked eye, can you tell the difference bw a true H&A and the other triple ideal/excellent diamonds. If the only way to see the difference is through an hearts & arrows viewer, then I'm not so concerned. I have friends w beautiful H&A's and I'm wondering if I just go for AGS000 or GIA3x, will mine be as nice. Is it really worth the premium? it would be an extra $1-2k over the $9k for a GIA3x

If we find a GIA3x diamond with the following qualities, will this get us an H&A quality diamond even if the vendor doesn't specify it is?
HCA:under 2
Table: 54-57
Depth: 61-62

Also, does anyone have an opinion on Bluenile signature idea vs. James Allen/Whiteflash? The prices on bluenile.ca are a bit better for what looks to be a fairly equivalent diamond, and then I wouldn't have to worry about shipping from the US or the exchange rate

The other specs are
Round 1ct+
VS2
G/H
no fluorescence

Thanks for your advice!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having had both hearts and arrows and ideal cut but not quite H&A, I will tell you that there is no visual difference. However, since GIA numbers are rounded, you can't be certain how well cut a diamond is. That is why we recommend buying from a vendor who will provide idealscope images. I don't think you have to have perfect hearts to have a gorgeous diamond, but I want one that has ideal light performance. So I'd recommend going with one of the vendors who will provide you with idealscope images such as WF, GOG, JA, etc.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1339952989|3218250 said:
Having had both hearts and arrows and ideal cut but not quite H&A, I will tell you that there is no visual difference. However, since GIA numbers are rounded, you can't be certain how well cut a diamond is. That is why we recommend buying from a vendor who will provide idealscope images. I don't think you have to have perfect hearts to have a gorgeous diamond, but I want one that has ideal light performance. So I'd recommend going with one of the vendors who will provide you with idealscope images such as WF, GOG, JA, etc.

This is good advice on the whole. I'd just add that not all GIA 3EX diamonds are equal. It's a wide range and some GIA 3EX diamonds are less bright than others.

A diamond does not have to have H&A to be beautiful, but as a technical point, there are differences between diamonds with the highest possible 3D cut precision and diamonds with equivalent light return but lesser cut precision. That difference could be as negligible as the difference between D and E color, or D and G, or high D and low D - depending on the specific diamonds. Factually, the higher the order of precision the larger the virtual facets, so as you graduate to higher levels of 3D precision the optics do shift, as subtle as that might be from one specimen to the next.

Can you see the difference? ...Can I? ...Can the world's most experienced diamond cutter? The answers could possibly be different and are definitely dependent on the diamonds being compared, the surrounding light/environment and the perceptual skill of the viewer. It's the same when comparing color grades.

One important note is that our basic cut grading rubric of EX-VG-G-F-P is not nearly as finely subdivided or balanced in grading-width as our color or clarity rubrics. Add to that the fact that neither GIA or AGSL yet discloses levels of cut-precision for consumers; although AGSL now has a report which includes both crown and pavilion reflector images.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results