shape
carat
color
clarity

Been batting around an idea for a while...

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
I like the set you are looking at (but would bump up the stone size a bit). The set seems like a good idea if you wouldn't worry about how it holds up. It does look like the Svea 3-stone could end up with wonky prongs - if you zoom in on the prongs on some of their other listings (mainly the five and seven stone rings), the prong work looks globby IMHO. FWIW, I did not have a good experience with JewelerontheRoof so that may color my thoughts regarding the globby prongs.

As marym mentioned previously, would you consider a bezel?

For whatever ring(s) you end up with, have you thought about just buying duplicates? That way, you can wear the heck out of one and not feel bad because you know that you have another ready to take its place when it wears out. It may seem crazy, but I have done this with things I really like but never used because I didn't want to wear them out (favorite purse, favorite shoes, etc.) It all started when my husband asked why I never used the purse that he bought me -- well, it was suede and I didn't want to ruin it so I kept it nice and safe in its dustbag. Well, after picking up two back-ups on e-bay, I now use my original one practically daily with no worries about potentially ruining it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1339702824|3216279 said:
ame said:
As for spending the money, it wouldn't be additional money on top of what I own, something if not all, would be sold to cover this cost. And as for a vendor I would trust, at this stage...probably not. The majority of setters and benchies don't work at the magnification I would require and are unwilling to change their work methods to satisfy my requirements.

Well I think if I were you, I would sell the solitaire since it you aren't wearing it and your feelings towards it aren't exactly positive. So why not just wear the Tiffany band and be done. You could stack it with some plain bands if you feel like switching it up. You seem happy with the Tiffany band and at least the plain bands don't have any stones to worry about. Sometimes I wear my Facets band with two 1.5mm white gold bands like this:

iphone%208-20%20028.jpg

Anyways, that's just my thought. I don't think buying that new set will help because you may be just as paranoid about damaging that set, since it does seem flimsy...

Best of luck to you in figuring all of this out!
Thank you, your stack looks great! I sometimes wear it like that (though minus a plain band!). I already have scratches on the top metal (channel area) of the damn band and I have NO IDEA how they could possibly have gotten there. I am trying to just let them be for now bec shipping it to NYC for polishing is ridic.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
tsavvy|1339704990|3216322 said:
I like the set you are looking at (but would bump up the stone size a bit). The set seems like a good idea if you wouldn't worry about how it holds up. It does look like the Svea 3-stone could end up with wonky prongs - if you zoom in on the prongs on some of their other listings (mainly the five and seven stone rings), the prong work looks globby IMHO. FWIW, I did not have a good experience with JewelerontheRoof so that may color my thoughts regarding the globby prongs.

As marym mentioned previously, would you consider a bezel?

For whatever ring(s) you end up with, have you thought about just buying duplicates? That way, you can wear the heck out of one and not feel bad because you know that you have another ready to take its place when it wears out. It may seem crazy, but I have done this with things I really like but never used because I didn't want to wear them out (favorite purse, favorite shoes, etc.) It all started when my husband asked why I never used the purse that he bought me -- well, it was suede and I didn't want to ruin it so I kept it nice and safe in its dustbag. Well, after picking up two back-ups on e-bay, I now use my original one practically daily with no worries about potentially ruining it.
I actually DO that, esp with clothes and shoes, I have done so with a bag before also. This is just a different price point I guess, and I can't do that without eating into my very anal-retentive financial planning!

I'd be curious what your experience with them was. I did consider just starting with a 1 or 1.5 mm band first and seeing how that wore.

I have several 5ish point stones I'd use.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'd sell everything you're unhappy with, and put your loose diamond (don't sell that!) either in a safety deposit box or somewhere safe but easily accessible so you can still see it.

As you've admitted, poor workmanship is only part of the problem, and I don't think throwing any amount of money at any creation, however perfect, is going to satisfy. Rock a plain band and on some days, the sim, until progress is made (in whatever way necessary) in treating the OCD.

(I think the etsy set is kind of cute, but not at that price point!)

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
ame|1339706140|3216337 said:
I actually DO that, esp with clothes and shoes, I have done so with a bag before also. This is just a different price point I guess, and I can't do that without eating into my very anal-retentive financial planning!
It's nice to know I'm not the only one buying multiples. ;))
I'd be curious what your experience with them was. I did consider just starting with a 1 or 1.5 mm band first and seeing how that wore.
JewelerontheRoof: The custom handforged band ordered to specific dimensions was late and arrived in the wrong size. I asked them to remake it, but they were insistent that they could resize it and have it still be perfect. However, after the resizing it looked stretched and flat on one side. Also, it was no longer was the correct dimensions where the band had been stretched. It was a teeny band but I'm a bit obsessive about measurements. I kept it, though, as it was a gift from DH and he would have been very unhappy if I told him that it wasn't quite right.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
tsavvy|1339715214|3216460 said:
I have a "problem" with clothes esp. I wear almost the same thing every day, and I buy multiples of the same thing in the same color. I have 66 of the same lace trimmed tank top. 40 are in my closet (in shades of navy, blue, teal, green and lime green plus a ton of white), and I also have 26 in ziplocs tags still on them set aside in my armoire for when the ones in the closet get ratty, esp the white ones. That's just the ones I've opened and ziploc'd. I think on my spare bed I have probably 20 more. I buy them every time Lane Bryant has a coupon code for at least 30% off and I just stock up. My "uniform" is boring. I also love the Mossimo tshirts from target and do about the same thing, buy a TON of them and stockpile them. I don't have a backup of my jeans, but I have 4 pair all hemmed for flats.

JewelerontheRoof: The custom handforged band ordered to specific dimensions was late and arrived in the wrong size. I asked them to remake it, but they were insistent that they could resize it and have it still be perfect. However, after the resizing it looked stretched and flat on one side. Also, it was no longer was the correct dimensions where the band had been stretched. It was a teeny band but I'm a bit obsessive about measurements. I kept it, though, as it was a gift from DH and he would have been very unhappy if I told him that it wasn't quite right.[/quote]
Yea that would bug me also.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
ame|1339766722|3216854 said:
tsavvy|1339715214|3216460 said:
I have a "problem" with clothes esp. I wear almost the same thing every day, and I buy multiples of the same thing in the same color. I have 66 of the same lace trimmed tank top. 40 are in my closet (in shades of navy, blue, teal, green and lime green plus a ton of white), and I also have 26 in ziplocs tags still on them set aside in my armoire for when the ones in the closet get ratty, esp the white ones. That's just the ones I've opened and ziploc'd. I think on my spare bed I have probably 20 more. I buy them every time Lane Bryant has a coupon code for at least 30% off and I just stock up. My "uniform" is boring. I also love the Mossimo tshirts from target and do about the same thing, buy a TON of them and stockpile them. I don't have a backup of my jeans, but I have 4 pair all hemmed for flats.

JewelerontheRoof: The custom handforged band ordered to specific dimensions was late and arrived in the wrong size. I asked them to remake it, but they were insistent that they could resize it and have it still be perfect. However, after the resizing it looked stretched and flat on one side. Also, it was no longer was the correct dimensions where the band had been stretched. It was a teeny band but I'm a bit obsessive about measurements. I kept it, though, as it was a gift from DH and he would have been very unhappy if I told him that it wasn't quite right.
Yea that would bug me also.[/quote]

Too funny about the Mossimo t-shirts. I love them and have them in almost every color! Especially when Target has their $5.00 sale.

Ame, I've followed your story since I began on PS back in 2005. I really truly think the best set for you is a plain platinum band stacked with your Tiffany channel band. That being said, I adore adore adore your current center diamond in the Vatche setting, with your bands. But I know that mentally, you can't enjoy them and may never enjoy them. That's a LOT of money tied up in something you can't have fun, enjoy, and admire.

As for the Etsy set, I think it's sweet but more of a RHR. I don't think you should replace your current set for the Etsy ring. Nor do I think a SIM would be any better. Those would just be temporary band aids to cover the real issue. You don't love your setting, and you're OCD about wear and tear. It's just my 2 cents but I think it comes back to, is an engagement ring really your *thing*, ya know? And if you feel it is, then you should reset your diamond into a setting that is 100% up to your expectations (if that's possible ;)) ).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results