shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your least favorite thing to spend money on?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TP is so freaking expensive!!
I hate spending money on anything that's not 'fun' ... any required necessity. Esp when it's expensive for perceived value.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Food. It's' so expensive here and of course it doesn't last long. I actually like new tires a lot... cars hold the road and brake so much better and I like the confidence of knowing they're not going to go flat at a moments notice. I don't actually like spending money on much of anything but that's a feeling I've only had recently. I spent a lot of money when I was younger. It's so much easier now to know the difference between needs and wants. I don't even like spending money on things I want and I don't want much anymore.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Least favorite:
Medical bills. Traffic tickets. Car problems. Bridge tolls.

Most favorite:
Books. House cleaning. Food.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1339654609|3215916 said:
Car problems.

Agree. If your car breaks down, you spend money to get the same thing you had before your car broke down. It's not a good feeling.

Yes, I know my analysis is superficial. You actually have a repaired car and not the same thing you had before spending the money but still... it can feel that way if the car problem is something unexpected or stupid.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
double post

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tolls- I cannot believe how expensive it is to go from NYC to NJ and back. It's ridiculous. With gas and tolls we are spending a small fortune every time we go b/w these 2 states. :o

The water bill in NJ. I cannot believe how freakin expensive our water bill is here. Remember when water from the tap used to be free? And we are only here on weekends (and not everyone at that)! It's the water from the sprinkler for the lawn that is really costing us.

Love spending on clothes, jewelry and good food. Not restaurants though- I don't like spending on that anymore. There was a time in our life where my dh and I were eating out 3 nights a week at nice restaurants but I prefer cooking (well, my dh cooking that is :cheeky: ) at home now for the most part.

Hate spending money on 2 phone land lines. But I don't feel comfortable without a landline in either home so we are keeping both landlines.

Cable and TIVO- ridiculously expensive now and ofc we have double the bills because I don't want to be without them in either location.

Right now we are spending lots on our backyard in our NJ house because we redid our bulkhead and built a brazilian walnut deck and adding stone around it and stone planters built by our contractor. But I don't mind so much spending on that because we will be able to enjoy that hopefully for a very long time. Money spent on beautifying our home and yard is money well spent IMO.

Monthly parking in NYC. Crazy expensive. But we need a car so no choice. Thank goodness for now we only need one though I am looking forward to the day I can get my own sweet convertible. I have my eye on several choices and cannot wait till I can make that purchase. But that is a long long way off as long as we have all these other expenses! ::)

And lastly (not really but this post had gotten too long and I am depressing myself :wink2: ) maintenance of everything!!!

But, I am eternally grateful for all we are fortunate enough to have and very thankful we can afford all these bills.

ETA: I am going to try to share a photo with you guys of the deck/stone (still under construction) taken this morning...we've had lots of rain here so work has been somewhat delayed...

viewofnewdeckstillunderconstruction.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some videos I posted to youtube for anyone who is interested...our neighbors are great but very into our business and took video every step of the way LOL...which I admit was helpful since we were not here much of the time.

This first one is actually the only one my dh took of the new bulkhead...the rest are taken by our neighbor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xPfOKXAdk8&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlckVbFphIs&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn0oW2wXbug&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VspRNvfxM5I&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQd7-3ZdupA&feature=channel&list=UL

Warning...it might feel like watching paint dry LOL but for anyone who might be interested ;))

and a closer up view of the pic I posted in previous post

deckandstoneworkinprogress.jpeg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted said:
thing2of2|1339634368|3215760 said:
Basically I only like to buy clothes/jewelry, house stuff, plants and vacations. :cheeky:
W.O.R.D!

YUP.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ditto the car stuff. That just irritates me, especially since my car is a bit on the older side. I also hate spending money on food, particularly going out to lunch and dinner. I avoid it whenever possible. I work with some people who order out lunch every day and complain about not having enough for bills!! I just refuse to spend 10/day or more on lunch.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Car repairs/upkeep.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1339634368|3215760 said:
Groceries, tech things, and car stuff. I am SO HAPPY I don't have a car anymore. I hope to never live anywhere again where I need a car.

Basically I only like to buy clothes/jewelry, house stuff, plants and vacations. :cheeky:
Absolutely!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

D

Deactivated member 42515

Diamonds and jewelry

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1339654609|3215916 said:
Least favorite:
Medical bills.

Big ditto on this. I have amazing insurance, but it's still annoying to have to shell out $100 to go to the ER. Or $150 (I think, haven't seen the bill yet) for my recent stay in labor and delivery. Really? I'm in pain and scared to death about preterm contractions at 29 weeks AND I have to shell out $150? That could have paid for our pack n play!

D

Deactivated member 42515

I was joking... Are people in shock? Anybody get rushed to the hospital?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi

Dental bills---I think dentists are the most over paid workers in the country.

Annette

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I know we have to have it but I HATE going to the gas station! Getting gas has gotten a tad better lately but I still hate it!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TOLLS! Yes, that's a good one. I HATE paying tolls. If I want to jump on the tollway to get to work it costs me $0.95 each way, and that is WITH my I-Pass! It would cost me $1.90 each way without it. ARGH.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
YayTacori|1339692449|3216136 said:
I was joking... Are people in shock? Anybody get rushed to the hospital?

:lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, love you deck!! wow - looks amazing! can't view the videos from this computer... but excited to when I get home!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
CharmedOne|1339698940|3216232 said:
I know we have to have it but I HATE going to the gas station! Getting gas has gotten a tad better lately but I still hate it!

Oh, me too. My car gets 30 mpg though while my two before this one got first 18 and then 24, so I'm moving in the right direction. I like being able to just keep driving past gas stations. I want 40 next time.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I get 11! Yay me!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
What I hate spending money on:

1. TV - more specifically satellite tv. Bought an antennae and placed it in the attic anc now get all local + more for free (I now get NY, NJ, Philly stations for free). Getting rid of the satellite soon. I bought a Roku and have Netflix. $7.99/month is better than $60/month

2. Insurance (auto and homeowners). But heaven forbid what would happen if I did not have it, but I could have banked a lot more money if I did not have to shell out over $4000/year

3. telephone... I use Skype and Facetime for free and have a cell phone. But we need the landline to get internet (what a waste of money) can't wait for FIOS to come into our area.

4. Postage stamps... since I am paying for the phone I should use that instead of throwing more money away.

5. Newspaper...I read online for free now

6. fast food.

7. Fundraisers. I would rather give the money to the charity directly, than buy something in which only a small portion of the funds benefits the charity

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1339699882|3216243 said:
TOLLS! Yes, that's a good one. I HATE paying tolls. If I want to jump on the tollway to get to work it costs me $0.95 each way, and that is WITH my I-Pass! It would cost me $1.90 each way without it. ARGH.

I wish! It's $6 for the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate ($5 if you have FasTrak). But you only have to pay one way...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a lot on my list but my #1 thing right now is cable. We HATE paying for cable channels that we don't watch, but the cable companies don't do a la carte. Why can't we just pay for what we want to watch without having to buy a zillion other channels? We have the typical cable, phone, and internet bundle package too, and we don't use the phone (we use our cell phones but not the land line).

Oh and the free movies on OnDemand are horrible. Just thought I'd throw that in there. That bugs me too.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
House repairs... UGH. Just when we're ready to make a "fun" splurge, a wind storm comes and knocks down 3/4 of our fence.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1339700833|3216259 said:
Missy, love you deck!! wow - looks amazing! can't view the videos from this computer... but excited to when I get home!

Thanks Enerchi...sorry I got a bit carried away with posting about it LOL. It's just been consuming a lot of our time and energy (and money) over the last few months so it's on my mind a lot lately. In my excitement I think I overdid it a bit with posting links LOL. But it's an example for us of what we don't mind spending our money on for sure. Back to reality this Sunday sigh...the vacay here went too fast. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1339707204|3216347 said:
Haven|1339699882|3216243 said:

I wish! It's $6 for the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate ($5 if you have FasTrak). But you only have to pay one way...

$13 for the Verrazano!! And Goethals (or Outerbridge- we can use either) $12! Crazy!! We need to cross both whenever we go to NJ! :knockout:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Car stuff! I hate we're a 2 car household now but it's a necessity with day care drop off. At least both of our cars are paid off, but the fact that we still need maintenance etc, boo, major suckage!

Airline fees. Seriously? I remember when I used to be able to check TWO bags for free.

Property taxes. Only because I know in Chicago my property taxes are going into lining someone's pocket and that's it. This city's so "party machine" it's ridiculous. At least the Daley Dynasty is over though.

Ditto to Haven with the city stickers.

House repairs, actually any repairs. I hate the feeling of being surprised with something very expensive.

And while I'm griping, I'm just going to complain about how much day care costs for my son. And the same company has campuses in the suburbs and it's half the cost (okay fine I get that), but the teachers there give parents newsletters and plan activities etc.This I don't understand. I feel like I"m just a walking dollar bill to the folks taking care of E.....

amc80

Ideal_Rock
lliang_chi|1339783426|3217053 said:
And while I'm griping, I'm just going to complain about how much day care costs for my son. And the same company has campuses in the suburbs and it's half the cost (okay fine I get that), but the teachers there give parents newsletters and plan activities etc.This I don't understand. I feel like I"m just a walking dollar bill to the folks taking care of E.....

I'm lucky in that my company has on-site daycare, which they subsidize. So it's "only" $176 a week. That's fine, though, I didn't enjoy eating out or doing fun stuff anyway... :roll:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
by amc80 » 15 Jun 2012 13:33

I'm lucky in that my company has on-site daycare, which they subsidize. So it's "only" $176 a week. That's fine, though, I didn't enjoy eating out or doing fun stuff anyway...

I agree AMC. Fortunately (I dunno if that's the right word) I do some contract work that can pay for a significant amount of Ethan's day care, depending on if I get work and if I don't have any other expenses. Last year I used just about all of the money to help my family out with finances. But this year it might be used for day care. Sigh.... One day some day I can spend money on things like jewelry.... A girl can dream, right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results