shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, My Microwave died.... And I can''t pop popcorn!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had the same microwave for,.......... OK, we won''t say how many YEARS. As in it was the BRAND of the day, and that company doesn''t even make microwaves any more! Anyway, it died a couple days ago and now I''m in the hunt for a new one.

After only a few minutes of internet research, I realized that technology and products have really changed. There are convection/microwave combos available that look really appealing. Some with turntables, some without. Stainless steel is available now. What features do I want/need??? Product reviews are somewhat conflicted. So I am not making any headway in the decision process. Meanwhile, we keep opening the door to cook Ramen noodles, or pop popcorn, only to realize it won''t cook. It makes a great timer, but it''s a bit huge for that.

Mind sharing what brand you have, what features you like and don''t like?? I''ll take any help I can get!!
emotion-33.gif
emcake.gif
emtea.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just had my microwave "die" not so long ago.....it was a terrible week!! i didn''t realize how much i use that thing. i kept trying to heat stuff up slowly on the stove, only to have it burn because i forgot about it. i found that i really like being able to pop something in the micro, for a minute and have it heat right up!
anyway, have you checked on www.consumerreports.org ? i find the information useful. they go over the things you really need and those you don''t.
my micro is an over the range model, which i love.....free''s up so much counter space. it''s not convection though. i didn''t get convection because i knew i wouldn''t use it to cook. i would rather use my oven for cooking. if you think you might cook with your micro, then convection is good. it helps "brown" your food. i don''t know if they still make micros without a turntable inside, but i think that is something you would want.
i think they all have "popcorn" selections now. mine works perfect! you just put the bag in and select "popcorn"..........perfect, every time!!
well, good luck..........i''''m sure you''ll be happy with whatever you decide to get!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
According to Consumer Reports, GE leads the market in both countertop models and over-the-range models, followed by Sharp. I can certainly understand why GE rates so well....I bought a small GE countertop model (1.3 cu. ft.) at Wal-mart back in 6/98, and it still works like a charm today!

Belle is right about convection.....unless you plan to cook foods in it that require crisping/browning, it''s a waste. It really depends on what you use your microwave for. In my house, it''s to reheat meals, to make popcorn, to cook frozen veggies, and to heat beverages. None of these require convection. I''d never consider making a turkey in the microwave, so the browning feature of a convection oven is wasted on me.

Stick to models that have sensors, which shut off oven power when the food is done.

I personally find these features useful: turntable (a MUST), an "add 30 sec." or "add 1 min" key, a popcorn key, and a "reheat" or "plate of food" key. 75% of our use is reheating plates of food, so the reheat key comes in handy. Also, if you use it regularly to defrost, look for quick keys for that, too.

A last note: many of the newer models sell "speed-cook" technology which supplements the microwave with high watt bulbs. The consensus on this feature: it doesn''t perform well, and isn''t worth the money.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tips ALJD! Especially glad to hear about the bulbs. Definitely put those on the "To avoid" list.

I did try checking at Consumer''s Reports, but you have to subscribe to get the info. Most of the time, I''m able to get the product comparison/rating info that I need from alternative/free sources. But nothing much was coming up on microwaves. I''ve asked around with friends and family. Many of them have older microwaves as well, or they have newer models that they don''t like.

My first microwave was an el Cheapo that barely lasted more than a year. The second time, I bought a fairly expensive microwave with more than a few perks. That turned out to be a good investment. This one was 17 years old. We have a fairly good appliance repair shop. I used them once. They can fix this one, but the repairman said I could buy a new unit for the same $$$ or maybe even less. He recommended going new.

One website suggested, as a buyer, you consider how you''re going to use the unit prior to purchase. We mostly zap coffee when it gets cold, heat a cup of water to make tea, pop popcorn, Ramen noodles, that kind of thing. But I do kinda cook somewhat. Not a turkey or anything like that. I learned that by and large, baked goods like cakes and cookies tended to turn out pretty crappy. I''ll put a frozen entre in for approx half the microwave directions time, and then finish up in the oven. Speeds the whole process up. Mine had a temperature probe, so I''d check to make sure meats from the grill were done. Mine would also "Hold" foods at the set temp for up to and hour. My mom''s has the plate warmer button and a popcorn button. She also likes both of those features.

Convection was kinda intriguing for me. Sometimes I do have a smaller item and convection would save from having to heat up the big oven. That''s if it really cooks evenly and the food item turns out well. Or during the holidays/entertaining when I''ve got several hot dishes that need to be ready to serve at the same timel. But not sure if it would work as well as I would hope in my mind.
20.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
My microwave has died also. Go figure. It''s a black Kenmore which is about oooohhhh...12 years old. I have since changed the decor in my kitchen so I am looking at Stainless steel now. But it sooooo hard to make a decision. My choices are somewhat narrowed as I am getting an over the range microwave.

Good luck shopping!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mine was a Litton Radarange. Litton used to be THE name in microwave ovens. I was shocked to see that they are no longer avaiable. But I guess when a "simple" kitchen appliance lasts thru 17 years of multiple daily usage, it''s a long time before the customer wants another.

My sis has an over the range one. Hers also functions as the vent for her cooktop. After burning a couple things in the microwave and having the vent put the smell in the house, she isn''t as thrilled with it as she was at first. She does love that it freed up counter space. And I could do with that as well. More free space on the counter tops!!

So many choices!!
20.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had trouble with 2 relatively new GE appliances recently (a Dishwasher and a barbecue). The service bills were enormous, and the service people seem to admit that the GE quality is suffering in the recent years. FYIW, I''m tired of it, and am steering away from GE. I''m loving my Kitchenaide appliances.

Agreed, you must get a turntable, and all those misc buttons come in handy occasionally.(Reheat, plate warmer, defrost, etc.) Mine theoretically can be used to convection cook, but I haven''t found anything that I am willing to risk in it instead of the oven. I love our 1 min cook option. 90% of the time, I stick something in and just hit that button a few time rather than go through the whole time program thing. I''ve never heard of the keep warm feature, but that is pretty cool.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock

P.Q. - honestly, at this point microwaves are almost disposible. I would waste time on the convection. I have a convection oven (which I thought was a great idea at the time) & I have *never* used it.

Adding to the list of others, I use the defrost power level often. A good serviceable microwave shouldn't cost more than 200.00. You must also consider size. What is the biggest pot you put in there? For our second house we bought an el cheapo microwave at the target for about $60.00. It has several power levels, turnstile, popcorn key. See where I'm going with this. The only thing between this one & a more expensive one was the size.

You know me - I'd just go to the Costco & pick one. Probably the most servicable, least expensive stainless model.

In 2001, we put the mid range stainless GE microwaves in some kitchens. They have faired just O.K. Panasonic makes a good one. Our first lasted nearly 16 years. We replaced it with another panasonic. Our little one here is a Sharp "carosel". Having been burned by soooo many "recommended" consumer report "best bets", I only read them to get an idea of the features/price various things offer. Appropriately, a friend (who feels the same way) keeps hers aside the toilet as a potty read.

Good luck. And, do consider shelf space. Ideally an over the counter one saves space; but, I have found my parents hard to get the stuff in & out. Maybe a function of old age.
28.gif

P.S. Walmart has a nice selection as well.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2005 12:58:13 AM
Author: lop
I've had trouble with 2 relatively new GE appliances recently (a Dishwasher and a barbecue

It would seem that a GE appliance is a GE applicance is a GE appliance.....but not really. Most manufacturers specialize in one type of unit, and though they carry other products, those aren't their specialty.

GE has a very strong reputation in microwave ovens.....but that doesn't mean they are proficient at making other applicances. Conversely, even though you've had trouble with GE dishwasher and BBQ, neither are units that GE has a strong reputation for.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i myself am more than a *little* leary about ge appliances.....the microwave that i mentioned in the above post was a ge. i orginally bought it 5 yrs ago on a consumer reports recommendation. it wasn''t cheap, probably becuase it is over the range, but i would still expect it to last more than 5yrs! i''ve also had my ge upright freezer die, and a washer!! these appliances were all around 5 yrs. old at the time of their demise. coincedence? i''m not trying my luck on ge again anytime soon! ..........luv costco though!!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
The February 2005 issue of Consumer Reports reviews microwave ovens. May want to check that out! The GE Profile Spacemaker got top reviews for the over-the-range models.

Edited to add: Should have read through the posts more carefully. I guess Consumer Reports is not the foremost authority. I suppose it's trial and error.
emsmile.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2005 10:34
6.gif
4 AM
Author: onedrop
The February 2005 issue of Consumer Reports reviews microwave ovens. May want to check that out! The GE Profile Spacemaker got top reviews for the over-the-range models.

Edited to add: Should have read through the posts more carefully. I guess Consumer Reports is not the foremost authority. I suppose it''s trial and error.
emsmile.gif
Trial and error - I LOVE that one. It''s so true. It''s personal as well. I love my GE potscrubber & my friend ripped her''s out and replaced it with a kitchenaide. Unsure why mine works so well for me & hers sucked - kind of water? Bad installation?

In 2001 when hubby pulled me out of retirement to work on a crunch project, my specific job was all the kitchens in the residence halls. I learned more about kitchen appliances than I needed. Usually, I just pick one; but, this time I had to justify "why" on a 6 figure purchase. The Architect speced all GE profile. In my research, it was the best choice as far as aesthetics for the price. All appliances needed to be the same brand for ease of service. For the most part, the GE brands faired well in most of the consumer reports and word of mouth. They looked great once installed - an industrial kitchen on a reg. kitchen budget. The biggest mistake was the glass cooktops at @ 650.00. 3 have broken. NOT recommended! Also not recommended was any of the GE washers & dryers. I dont'' know if they have changed them since - but the bail was made out of cheap plastic. Funny, even the GE sales rep steered us away from them saying "I want you to be satisfied & I''m not sure those are for you". We ended up buying el cheapo Roper Bros. (I think they are made by Whirlpool). After much abuse, they have held up. Except for the GE glass cooktop, I haven''t heard any complaints. For the next phase, GE was choosen again.

Regarding mircrowaves, I don''t think there is much difference and a high end one will cost $150.00. We don''t have a turnstile in our main home. We have one in the little house. I don''t see much difference in the cooking. But, I think even the low end ones have it now. When our electrician did some updating wiring in our little house, somehow the conversation steered towards microwaves. He was the one that said they were disposable. He recalled a service call regarding a plug outlet that supposedly didn''t work. It wasn''t the plug. The microwave died. The person didn''t give a thought to that since it was nearly new - and the service call cost more than replacing the wave. The electrician did say that the main reason microwaves live a short life is because of power surges. Makes sense & probably prudent to put a surge protector on the plug.

PQ, in the end, you probably should replace that microwave even if it didn''t die. I''ve heard (and this could be an urban legend) that the older ones don''t have the insulation (or the insulation breaks down) & the microwaves leak out. Let us know what you picked & why! I''m always curious as word of mouth is by far the best consumer report.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Well,.......... I bought a microwave!! Yeah!! We can zap cold coffee again!!

I gave serious thought to getting one for over the cooktop. I don''t have a "stove". I have a cooktop built in the counter and a seperate "view height" oven built in the wall. Also, my kitchen has a soffett with a short "spice" cabinet above the cooktop. When we measured the available space if we installed a range top unit, I''d have about 10" of clearance between the bottom of the microwave and the burners on the range. The alternative was to remove that section of cabinet. Since I didn''t wanna loose the cabinet space, the "over the range/vent combo" idea got nixed.

I just went for a counter top unit for several reasons. Mainly my Mom. She has trouble reaching up since her shoulder surgery. She can''t reach above the lowest shelf in the cabinet. If an item has any weight to it or anything in it, she can''t even reach that high. Mom uses the microwave quite a bit so I had to consider her needs in the selection process. We looked at a convection model, but the cabinet was so small the convection wouldn''t be useful to me,........ Unless I bought all new cookware to use in the microwave. There was a neat one that had a heating element in it, just like an electric oven has. It had a dual rack that sat on top of the turnstyle. You can broil steaks and microwave at the same time. As I thought about it, I had visions of someone putting a plastic cup or dish in there and forgetting to turn the broiler element off. So I decided against that one. Didn''t even want the possibility of a plastics fire available.

I went for the 90% of our usage mode and bought a Sharp countertop model. It had the biggest amount of space inside of all the units I looked at. It''s got several pre-set Cook, Heat, and Defrost modes, a popcorn button, a frozen pizza button, and several other "known" presets. I always warm up bread, rolls, and buns and there''s a bread warming button. The popcorn button allows you to cook different sized bags of microwave popcorn just by changing the "popcorn" setting. In addition, the microwave is programmable. If you fix a particular dish on a regular basis, you can program the cooking time and power level into the microwave. Handy for things that there isn''t a preset for like Ramen noodles. And, it cost less than $100! Which was amazing to me.

Thanks to all who helped out!! Everyone pointed out many great things for me to know and consider in the selection process. You were a huge help. With all the new features, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results