shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay auctions w/ private offer. Pro or Cons?

bluenights

Rough_Rock
So I was impressed for PSer's good feedback about my last Tan's thread and have been watching and bidding on his stones.
I was watching this 1.63ct tsavorite http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251080203716?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

It was listed yesterday I believe, or the day before, start at 80, I bid a small number to save it in my buying list, suddenly I found the listing has ended tonight, it shouldn't be so soon, still has 5 or 6 days to go.

I contacted Tan, and here's his excuse

"We ended this listing for a customer's request. What is this gem you're referring? We sometimes do this for our regular customer. who insisted buy it now and payment immediately.Sorry if we had cause you any disappointment."

It really shocked me, of the 5 years ebay experience, I have never met a seller end an auction, which already have 3 bids, for someone's request, and leave other bidders no reason and don't inform them anything!

I believe once an item has been listed as an auction, everyone has a right to bid, and 3 person already did. But Tan just ignored us, accepted a offer just took that chance away from other buyers. Isn't this against ebay's principle????????

If he accepted everyone's offer, what's the point listing it as an acution?? Just list as buy it now and take offers!!!!

desertgem

Rough_Rock
Re: Not a very nice thing for Tan to do!!!

It is a large gem, and if the end price was as shown it was good for the size, but I think once the disappointment wears off,
you might reconsider. It is a Roval, not quite round and a poor size for an oval if you intended to set it, it
could present major problems. The inclusions are very obvious face up and the color isn't bad, but not the best. The
cut is also not impressive. I would rather have a stone of better color and clarity ( these inclusions bother me a lot :) )even at 1/3 the size. Just my humble opinion, and I am not condoning any action of the seller, just commenting on the stone.
Jim

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is common practice and not just with Tan. Many of the Ebay sellers will do it. Sorry you're disappointed. If this experience with Tan hasn't soured things for you, why not ask if he has another similar stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like LD, I've seen this happen with other eBay vendors as well. Sorry that it happened to you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

desertgem|1339396476|3213586 said:
It is a large gem, and if the end price was as shown it was good for the size, but I think once the disappointment wears off, you might reconsider. It is a Roval, not quite round and a poor size for an oval if you intended to set it, it
could present major problems. The inclusions are very obvious face up and the color isn't bad, but not the best. The cut is also not impressive. I would rather have a stone of better color and clarity ( these inclusions bother me a lot :) )even at 1/3 the size. Just my humble opinion, and I am not condoning any action of the seller, just commenting on the stone.
Jim

Jim,
Are we looking at the same stone? It looks like an almost square cushion to me. There shouldn't be any issues setting it in a standard 7x7 mm cushion setting. Although it looks included, they are very fine and magnified. They will be far less noticeable in person.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

LD|1339411386|3213623 said:
This is common practice and not just with Tan. Many of the Ebay sellers will do it. Sorry you're disappointed. If this experience with Tan hasn't soured things for you, why not ask if he has another similar stone?

REALLY??? I never would have thought this was common - I am with bluenights, in that if it is listed as auction, I also would have assumed the auction will run itself out and whoever the winner is... is the winner, not cutting it short. Hmmm... learn something everyday!

johnfish

Rough_Rock

After my experience with tan last week I was hesitant to buy from him again ( I purchased something bin and he immediately refunded my money telling me the item was no longer available) But based on the high regard most psers give him I was continuing to look at his listings. After reading this post I will not be buying from him in the future. Thanks to the op for the heads up.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I have seen this sort of thing happen with many sellers on ebay for all sorts of things not only gems. Sellers have the ability to end listings whenever they want for many reasons. The item might have been listed elsewhere and is sold, might have broken or been stolen, destroyed in a fire, or simply lost. Any of these would rightly result in an abrupt ending of the auctions. So he ended it for a regular customer to BIN. Nice for the regular customer. I agree with what others have said, that you should contact him and ask if he has any comparables...he might then give you a BIN. I am sure that was not the last tsavorite. In gem hunting you always have to remember that when one gets away there is another around the corner.

Johnfish, I do not understand your response. It sounds to me that you used buy it now and then paid immediately without contacting the seller even to ask questions about the item. Tan immediately discovered that item already sold, possibly through a listing in one of his other stores, and immediately refunded you. To me that all sounds courteous and honorable. I do not see your problem.

desertgem

Rough_Rock

You are correct, it is even described as a cushion :). I have to stop looking so late at night. When I looked at the stone rather than reading the description, it just didn't look like a well shaped-cut cushion. True, the inclusions are highly magnified, but they would still bother me, as I do not generally wear my gems, but collect them as individuals, but maybe that is just me .

Jim

johnfish

Rough_Rock

I have done some buying on eBay and have never had this happen to me. When bin an item I don't expect to have to contact the seller after buying it to see if it is actually available. It's like any transaction online. If its listed there is an expectation that it is available. The seller should not have it listed in multiple locations for sale. If it gets sold the item should be removed autmatically through eBay. If the seller listed the same item in different stores I think that is a real red flag. I also think cancelling a listing just because some one wants it at a certain price is wrong. Let that person bid with everyone else. You would never see this happen at a live auction. I just see too many red flags with these kind of practices.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Johnfish, I am not suggesting you should have to contact the seller to confirm availability. Buying anything on ebay is a leap of faith. Buying gemstones based on only a few online photos, maybe an eleven second video clip and a few facts like weight and dimensions is even more so. Unless I know a sellers stones and photography style well, I need to ask questions about the stone, how the color behaves in different lights, and more detailed characterization of the inclusions, if any, etc, before I commit to shipping something to me that I may then possibly ship back.
Ive never heard of anyone complaining they received an immediate refund before.

johnfish

Rough_Rock

Oh I am not complaining about the refund. It should have been immediately give if the item was not available. The item in qestion was less than 40 dollars so I felt there was no need to ask questions. I was very disappointed it was not available. I felt it was kind of strange that the item was even posted if not available. This is the part I am questioning.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've experienced this repeatedly when shopping for non-gem items from established eBay vendors. I hit the BIN only to be informed WEEKS later that the item is no longer available, then received a prompt refund after notification. Was I disappointed? Sure, but I did not blacklist the vendor because this is also a common practice. I just restarted my search again with other vendors.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1339431702|3213817 said:
I've experienced this repeatedly when shopping for non-gem items from established eBay vendors. I hit the BIN only to be informed WEEKS later that the item is no longer available, then received a prompt refund after notification. Was I disappointed? Sure, but I did not blacklist the vendor because this is also a common practice. I just restarted my search again with other vendors.

For a BIN item, I'm totally understanding, maybe someone else hit the BIN button,and seller doesn't have time to remove listing. But with an auction item, it means everybody has the same chance in this 7 days auction period, if you win you win, if you don't win, no complains.

But I stress, you can't put up an auction, have buyers bid on your stone or anything else with other ebay sellers, then just sold it to someone before the listing ends, just because maybe you know them. That's 100% against the auction rule and spirit.

Anyway, Tan replied me he won't do this again. But I still feel I need to let people know

bluenights

Rough_Rock

desertgem|1339396476|3213586 said:
It is a large gem, and if the end price was as shown it was good for the size, but I think once the disappointment wears off,
you might reconsider. It is a Roval, not quite round and a poor size for an oval if you intended to set it, it
could present major problems. The inclusions are very obvious face up and the color isn't bad, but not the best. The
cut is also not impressive. I would rather have a stone of better color and clarity ( these inclusions bother me a lot :) )even at 1/3 the size. Just my humble opinion, and I am not condoning any action of the seller, just commenting on the stone.
Jim

It's not about this stone or that stone or whether it's a good stone
It has nothing to do with what the item is
It's the action itself really upset buyers.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

Enerchi|1339416312|3213654 said:
LD|1339411386|3213623 said:

REALLY??? I never would have thought this was common - I am with bluenights, in that if it is listed as auction, I also would have assumed the auction will run itself out and whoever the winner is... is the winner, not cutting it short. Hmmm... learn something everyday!

An auction means EQUAL rights for all buyers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bluenights|1339432422|3213826 said:
Chrono|1339431702|3213817 said:

For a BIN item, I'm totally understanding, maybe someone else hit the BIN button,and seller doesn't have time to remove listing. But with an auction item, it means everybody has the same chance in this 7 days auction period, if you win you win, if you don't win, no complains.

But I stress, you can't put up an auction, have buyers bid on your stone or anything else with other ebay sellers, then just sold it to someone before the listing ends, just because maybe you know them. That's 100% against the auction rule and spirit.

Anyway, Tan replied me he won't do this again. But I still feel I need to let people know

Bluenights,
Sorry. My response was to Johnfish who complained about a BIN item not being available. I understand the spirit of equal rights to all interested parties in an auction but those who don't use a sniping program are really at a disadvantage. I know I'm off topic here (not quite what you were referring to) but just wanted to get it out there.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

Chrono

Not a problem, I didn't mean you support this behavior. Sorry for the misleading but I was just quoting something and in the same time stated some of my thoughts.

johnfish

Rough_Rock

Chrono,

I have not a bought a lot on ebay but i have never had it happen to me. I did not mean to come across as black listing. I have moved on to other vendors and feel no more need to comment.

John

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Not many sellers are limited to one sales venue, thus if it is on auction with ebay, it does not mean that a friend may view it personally and want it, of course, the auction winner will simply be refunded, along with an apology, the friend that held it in his hand gets it.
Equally, items are often listed on auction on ebay and are also listed on other sites as a buy it now. When someone on the other site buys it for full price, sorry to the bidders on ebay, it is gone. Ebay auctions are not binding, even after the final bid, the seller does have at least this small freedom, most everything else is stacked in the buyers favor. Best regards, Lee

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For what it is, ebay isn't that bad. Some people won't go near it. But others of us get great deals because we are willing to take the risks. Sorry that happened, Bluenights. That would really frustrate me. OTOH, it sounds like its common practice and now Tan, being an honorable guy, maybe willing to work with you to hand pick a nice tsav and give you a good deal. ;))

bluenights

Rough_Rock

Lee Little|1339434994|3213860 said:
Not many sellers are limited to one sales venue, thus if it is on auction with ebay, it does not mean that a friend may view it personally and want it, of course, the auction winner will simply be refunded, along with an apology, the friend that held it in his hand gets it.
Equally, items are often listed on auction on ebay and are also listed on other sites as a buy it now. When someone on the other site buys it for full price, sorry to the bidders on ebay, it is gone. Ebay auctions are not binding, even after the final bid, the seller does have at least this small freedom, most everything else is stacked in the buyers favor. Best regards, Lee

I have to say that's from a seller's view.
If a seller does this frequently and don't think it's inappropriate then I doubt any serious buyer who knows him will deal with him or will be happy with his service.
It JUST matter how you treat your customers.

K9

Brilliant_Rock

ebay actually offers the option to the seller to end the auction early and sell to the current high bidder. I see no issue with this practice if someone is offering a fair price to the seller and they agree to complete the transaction mutually.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

K9|1339447773|3214019 said:
ebay actually offers the option to the seller to end the auction early and sell to the current high bidder. I see no issue with this practice if someone is offering a fair price to the seller and they agree to complete the transaction mutually.

It started at $80
He clearly didn't sell it for $82....
Someone watching his listing must really like this stone and offered him a very high price maybe higher than he expected So he ended this (to other serious buyers, this is inappropriate)
I see no reason a seller can earn more money but choose not to
An auction is an auction.
Imagine everybody can offer an auction item and snap it away before you even notice, and this happen a lot. what do you feel? What's the point put up an auction? Just list BIN and take offers.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

bluenights|1339450204|3214046 said:

It started at $80
Someone watching his listing must really like this stone and offered him a very high price maybe higher than he expected So he ended this (to other serious buyers, this is inappropriate)
Imagine everybody can offer an auction item and snap it away before you even notice, and this happen a lot. what do you feel? What's the point put up an auction? Just list BIN and take offers.

I agree with K9. Ebay ALLOWS this. That is their site, and they can make their own rules. If you have a problem with it, dont play in their sandbox.

I've had this happen to me before from various sellers. It sucked, but I found other things to buy. :bigsmile:

K9

Brilliant_Rock

bluenights|1339450204|3214046 said:

It started at $80

It's not inappropriate... it's business. I have no allegiance to Tan, just stating that ebay allows this practice so Tan has really done nothing wrong.

I'm sorry you didn't get a shot at the stone, but like my mom always says to me: "there's always more out there"

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Sorry this happened to you...but, as someone who occasionally will sell a stone on eBay and DB at the same time, sometimes I have to pull the auction on eBay if someone from DB wants the stone. Its just business...as has been stated. And, to add to this, if anyone is interested in anything I've listed on eBay and make me a great offer, I would certainly end the auction and take the offer. I want to sell the stone as soon as I can, thats why its for sale. I am not required to have the auction go until the end, if I want to sell it..it is mine...I iam going to sell it. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but thats now eBay works.

That being said, it stinks when it happens to you. I'd do the same thing many do, and if you see a stone you like, whether its Tans, mine, or anyones, message the seller you're interested and ask if they would take an offer. Some will (like myself, and apparently Tan) some won't and will try to get the highest dollar possible out of the auction. May want to try that.

bluenights

Rough_Rock

Again, a lot of the response are from seller's view

You think as a seller you can do what ever you'd like to do, because the stone is yours
Sure, it is yours. but I will stay hell away from a seller with this attitude

And I DARE you to put that exact word in your listing. Describe how your store works, tell buyers that you can bid on my stone, but I can't gurantee you anything, I may sell it before it ends, and even if you won, you may not get it, cause I probably will sell it to someone else because they can make a higher offer.

At least, Tan was considering after my complain and promised wouldn't do it again.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Haha, sorry to disappoint, but the last thing I sold on ebay was some old halloween costumes back in 2003.

I'm speaking from a realistic buyer's POV. I buy a ton on ebay, and I have seen many sellers write the following: "This item is listed elsewhere for sale, so I reserve the right to end auction early at my discretion".

You're buying from random seller on ebay, not a store. They don't have to baby you.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Sellers can also block a bidder who is unreasonable in expectations about how things in the world work, or who then throw tantrums when everything doesn't work out in their favor from bidding on their listings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results